Jurriën Timber | Arsenal player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trex

While that's true who do you think he will choose , a well organized club with European football, or one in jeopardy and without it?
The one that will triple his salary and make him 10x famous.
Plus he is going to have faith in his own manager to turn it around

NoPace

Hopefully the boss who has guided his career thus far
Especially as a small defender he needs to pick his move fairly carefully. Though Chelsea as the RCB or Barcelona as a RB who can come inside and help in midfield Guardiola style (if they keep Dembele as a proper RW hugging the touchline especially) also look like good fits.

Thoms

Supports
Ajax
Bayern appears to be interested as well

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
Lot of noise from very reliable Dutch media sources that Timber will join us this summer. There seems to be a lot of smoke arising.

Joseunited

Lot of noise from very reliable Dutch media sources that Timber will join us this summer. There seems to be a lot of smoke arising.
Fingers crossed for this one, it kind of falls in line with Ten Hag saying there is no clause stopping us from attempting to buy Ajax plyers.

marktan

Ah yes, another CB for £40m. Just what we need. And then we wonder why our squad never improves when we spend a chunk of our budget every single summer without fail on a CB while neglecting the rest of the squad.

OL29

Ah yes, another CB for £40m. Just what we need. And then we wonder why our squad never improves when we spend a chunk of our budget every single summer without fail on a CB while neglecting the rest of the squad.
It doesn’t make sense to me either, our defence isn’t great but at least it has numbers. We have no right wingers, no holding midfielders and no real centre forwards. If we prioritise CB over any of those positions then we’ll continue to look unbalanced and struggle to score goals against organised defences. It’s also likely that the defence wouldn’t come under so much pressure if they had a midfield capable of protecting them.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Well clearly we have issues defending too so I don’t get your point. Defence as just as big an issue with this team as anywhere else. We can’t just say ‘well we’ve fixed it in previous years already so let’s move to other areas’ if it clearly isn’t fixed sadly.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Bailly, Jones and Tuanzebe are likely to leave. Buying a young CB, who is good on the ball and can play at RB too is a good signing. He’s not the number one priority but his profile and age mean he’s a good long term investment. This is the type of smart signing we should be basing our build on. Ultimately we need signings through the spine of the team, 1x CB, 2x CMs and 1x CF. He would be one of those signings.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
52 goals conceded :(

Bondi77

Bailly, Jones and Tuanzebe are likely to leave. Buying a young CB, who is good on the ball and can play at RB too is a good signing. He’s not the number one priority but his profile and age mean he’s a good long term investment. This is the type of smart signing we should be basing our build on. Ultimately we need signings through the spine of the team, 1x CB, 2x CMs and 1x CF. He would be one of those signings.
Why has Gullitt stated that he is hopeless at defending?

AneRu

It doesn’t make sense to me either, our defence isn’t great but at least it has numbers. We have no right wingers, no holding midfielders and no real centre forwards. If we prioritise CB over any of those positions then we’ll continue to look unbalanced and struggle to score goals against organised defences. It’s also likely that the defence wouldn’t come under so much pressure if they had a midfield capable of protecting them.
The numbers we have beyond Lindelof are just that - numbers but unreliable in terms of consistent contributions. The way I see it we need to sell everyone else in defense who is not a starter i.e the likes of Telles, Dalot, Bailly, Tuanzebe and Jones then invest in a young CB who can cover RB and a couple of young fullbacks on the up.

If we include Henderson and promote one of the young lads to be 3rd GK behind De Gea and Jonhstone, who we should be getting on a free, then we can safely rejuvenate our backline by aimply selling the deadwood and still have funds for midfield and forward upgrades.

Tarrou

we do need a CB though as we don’t have a solid and reliable one at the moment

and this should be an easy transfer to complete, adding a good young player that knows ETH and his style

Kaushal

I’m pretty sure if we sign him, he will play at RB for us more often than CB, he is quite comfortable playing there and quite good too. His versatility is the main reason we are signing him if we do sign him. We don’t have a competent RB and we aren’t linked with any. ETH won’t be playing timber at cb whilst continuing with AWB or dalot . I’m sure he will be happy playing Lindelof and Varane at cb’s and play timber at rb. Of course that can all change if we do sign a RB but if we sign timber I’m certain we won’t sign any with the idea of playing him there.

Last edited:

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Why has Gullitt stated that he is hopeless at defending?
He’s not hopeless. He’s very aggressive which might get him into trouble against better players and a little undersized which will cause him issues aerially. There’s a lot of upside to his game especially in the right system.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
We've conceded more goals than Burnley, only a couple less than Everton, one of which is very likely getting relegated - and you're wondering why we might want to improve the defence? :lol:

Red_toad

Eric and Jones gone, plus Matic who can drop in if needed leaves us with maybe 4 players for the 2 positions. Timber will probably be utilised as right back or central defence here or possibly as a deep midfielder. 40 million isn’t such a bad deal. Very impressed with him, has a very high potential imo.

marktan

Well clearly we have issues defending too so I don’t get your point. Defence as just as big an issue with this team as anywhere else. We can’t just say ‘well we’ve fixed it in previous years already so let’s move to other areas’ if it clearly isn’t fixed sadly.
We've conceded more goals than Burnley, only a couple less than Everton, one of which is very likely getting relegated - and you're wondering why we might want to improve the defence? :lol:
The issue is not the personnel - it's that the rest of the squad, in particular the midfield, isn't great and offers no protection to the defence. Varane is thought of as one of the best CBs in the world and has looked out of sorts at times here.

We only have a fixed amount we can spend each year, and pretty much every year for the past 4 windows we've spent a significant chunk on it on Bailly, Lindelof, Maguire and Varane - all of whom are still here and capable international defenders.

For me before we sign a CB we need at least 1 DM, a good technical midfielder, a RW, and a ball playing CF. After that I'd probably even have RB as a bigger priority than CB. It doesn't matter how many CBs we buy - if we don't fix the rest of the team we'll continue to both leak goals and not score enough. For me a DM like Fabinho, Casemiro, Fernandinho etc is a million times more important than another placeholder CB.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
He’s not hopeless. He’s very aggressive which might get him into trouble against better players and a little undersized which will cause him issues aerially. There’s a lot of upside to his game especially in the right system.
Never seen him play other than highlights, where he looks class on the ball. Has he ever played midfield for Ajax?

SparkedIntoLife

It may have already been mentioned but Jurrien has a very talented 20 year old brother Quinten who plays for Utrecht as a CM. He’s close to signing for PSV reportedly but the deal isn’t done. Dutch fans rave about him. Timber brother double deal?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
It doesn’t have numbers after Bailly and Jones leave this summer. The other 3 have been injury prone this season. Bringing timber in who can also play RB is a smart move. I don’t think it will cost 40m either

Bojan Djordjic

Looks very promising. Some of his defending style reminds me of Jaap Stam
For a club in the tallest nation in the world, why are all Ajax's centre backs so seemingly small. This lad, Timber (5'10), Blind (5'11) and Martinez (5'9) - how are they not facing aerial bombardments in every game.

Bojan Djordjic

It doesn't necessarily mean that the defence is utter dog shit. It might also mean that they are being constantly exposed by
(a) not having a competent defensive midfielder who can screen the defence and move the ball capably out of danger areas; or
(b) having no wingers or forwards who will track back or press higher up the pitch causing us to be constantly vulnerable to counters; or
(c) that we have don't have a goalkeeper that has the confidence in his own ability to come off his line and sniff out danger or claim crosses;
(d) or that our star player frequently gives the ball away in ultra dangerous areas.

Just so happens that United's defence suffers all of the above. Why does it not seem to matter that we are shit defensively no matter who is in our back line and our players look good for their national teams. It's all systemic, we have one of the worst constructed team and squads of any big teams but I think the defensive midfield position would go a long way to improving it rather than keep lobbing money at centre backs while leaving nothing in the kitty for our main problem areas.

SAFMUTD

Apparently Bailly and Jones are leaving, which would leave us only with Varane, Lindelof and Maguire. We definitely need at least one CB, specially considering Varane's injury problems.

RuudTom83

There will be more than one arrival this summer...if ETH wants one of them to be a CB then that's fine with me.

No drama

golden_blunder

Staff
For a club in the tallest nation in the world, why are all Ajax's centre backs so seemingly small. This lad, Timber (5'10), Blind (5'11) and Martinez (5'9) - how are they not facing aerial bombardments in every game.
Because the Dutch don’t really have that style.
but it’s a fair point if he moves to England. However other small CBs have survived. He seems to have the aggression and timing to compensate a bit for his height.

golden_blunder

Staff
It doesn't necessarily mean that the defence is utter dog shit. It might also mean that they are being constantly exposed by
(a) not having a competent defensive midfielder who can screen the defence and move the ball capably out of danger areas; or
(b) having no wingers or forwards who will track back or press higher up the pitch causing us to be constantly vulnerable to counters; or
(c) that we have don't have a goalkeeper that has the confidence in his own ability to come off his line and sniff out danger or claim crosses;
(d) or that our star player frequently gives the ball away in ultra dangerous areas.

Just so happens that United's defence suffers all of the above. Why does it not seem to matter that we are shit defensively no matter who is in our back line and our players look good for their national teams. It's all systemic, we have one of the worst constructed team and squads of any big teams but I think the defensive midfield position would go a long way to improving it rather than keep lobbing money at centre backs while leaving nothing in the kitty for our main problem areas.
Do you want to go into a new season with Varane, Maguire and Lindelof as the 3 main CBs? With no backup?

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax
Yes so much noise that someone who's Dutch and an Ajax fan that views/reads pretty much every football related media hasn't seen anything of it lately.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.

We could either improve our defence, or improve everyone else just to protect our back four.
I'd go with the former, and then build everyone else to improve our attack too.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Hopefully we aren’t just the modern English version of Barcelona in transition - hire Dutch coach - sign Dutch players - fail. I don’t mind us getting two defenders and maybe Antony or Gravenberch but that should be it unless there’s some youth player ready to emerge that we shouldn’t miss out on. My reason for saying that is these lads are going to need a season at least to acclimatise. Our luck with Donny and Depay wasn’t great. Klassen barely looked like a footballer in the PL. ETH is going to need to show decent progress next year and I don’t know if signing another ready made dressing room clique is the best idea. Hopefully im wrong. Separately I like all the players we are being linked with and obviously I’m looking forward to seeing what ETH can do for us.

Vapor trail

Remember SAF quote that an attack wins you games but a defence wins you titles. It's the defence that gives a team consistency. Consider the change for Liverpool from competing to challenging, it was made viable through VVD, last season key defensive players were injured and they looked like half the team they are today.

ETH is already on the right path if he intends on building back to front.

Yagami

Good post resistant
One of our biggest problems for years and years has been our issues with dealing with pressing opposition. We have trouble not only keeping possession under pressure, but advancing play from the back.

Timber is a big step in the right direction. Having a CB who can keep the ball under pressure like him, pull a 180 to turn away from his opponent and dribble through a teams press will be vital in transforming us into a trophy challenging team.

flappyjay

I have been banging this drum for a while now. From the links it looks like we will neglect midfield again and only add 1. We atleast need a dm and a CM. A rw and a cf.

flappyjay

Remember SAF quote that an attack wins you games but a defence wins you titles. It's the defence that gives a team consistency. Consider the change for Liverpool from competing to challenging, it was made viable through VVD, last season key defensive players were injured and they looked like half the team they are today.

ETH is already on the right path if he intends on building back to front.
That almost got Ole fired until Bruno helped with the goals. Klopp built his attack and then brought the defense.

Red-17

I'd like to see our defenders get a chance at playing with a competent midfield in front of them first before saying they just can't defend. Before that, it seems like its just papering over the main issue.

Red-17

I have been banging this drum for a while now. From the links it looks like we will neglect midfield again and only add 1. We atleast need a dm and a CM. A rw and a cf.
Just look at Rudiger and how much his stock has gone up from being a joke of a defender playing in a back 4 under Lampard to being a player wanted by the best clubs in Europe after playing in a back 3 with 2 defensive minded players ahead of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.