Jurriën Timber | Arsenal player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redcy

Arsenals window this year reminds me a little bit of how everyone was panicking with Spurs last year, no doubt Arsenal are better than spuds, but this idea that they have won the transfer window and guaranteed to come second when we don't know anything about anyone else is what I find laughable.

Whilst Rice is class, I still think he might not be enough to carry them to a PL. Havertz we have seen nothing from in years at Chelsea really, and I don't see this "great value" at 65m, I really don't know what they are buying him to do, if it is as a cm how does he fit? Or is he going to play Rice and two 10s in havertz and Odegaard?

Real Name

We should have paid less than the 60m for Martinez and 100m for Antony, that's the logic is that so fecking scandalous to say?
Why are you so nervous all of a sudden?
It was already explained why we paid more for Martinez than Arsenal for Timber. And if we had paid less we would have payed the same as Arsenal which isnt logical, since they're different players, had different seasons, Martinez was better and so on.
For Antony we should have paid less but what does that have to do with this thread.

You're claiming they got a better deal before Timber even kicked a ball for Arsenal.

Strange.

Kostov

Who cares? We got an amazing player who's been integral to our transformation and is now a fan favourite. You have no idea if Timber will be a success, so far Martinez has been very much worth his fee.
He has, but like the million times mentioned before, overpay affects our ability to spend elsewhere and in different scenarios, so yeah as a United fan I do care. 55m pounds for Mount on the last year of his contract, how much for Hojlund? It's part of the same pattern, whether you realize or not is a different scenario.

Kostov

Why are you so nervous all of a sudden?
It was already explained why we paid more for Martinez than Arsenal for Timber. And if we had paid less we would have payed the same as Arsenal which isnt logical, since they're different players, had different seasons, Martinez was better and so on.
For Antony we should have paid less but what does that have to do with this thread.

You're claiming they got a better deal before Timber even kicked a ball for Arsenal.

Strange.
I didn't mean to come out as nervous or lashing out on you, my point was that Arsenal did get a better deal while we overpaid, however you spin it out. Why is that? Timber was our first choice last year and is also very talented and younger. With a bit of better planning maybe we could have got a better deal for Martinez also. It just underlines our headless chicken planning.

And that last part "before he even kicked a ball", well, most on here also claimed that Antony at 100m was a bad deal even before he kicked a ball, it turned out to be true.

Real Name

I didn't mean to come out as nervous or lashing out on you, my point was that Arsenal did get a better deal while we overpaid, however you spin it out. Why is that? Timber was our first choice last year and is also very talented and younger. With a bit of better planning maybe we could have got a better deal for Martinez also. It just underlines our headless chicken planning.

And that last part "before he even kicked a ball", well, most on here also claimed that Antony at 100m was a bad deal even before he kicked a ball, it turned out to be true.
Difference between Martinez and Timber (about what 12 million euros) deal isnt as big to claim Arsenal got a better deal before he even played for Arsenal. Especially since Martinez was so great for us.
And buying him I wouldnt add to 'headless chicken planning', we went for Timber, LVG said some shit things and then turned to Martinez.

Antony was a bad deal per se.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Martinez was our second choice, and that says how highly ETH rated Timber and Lisandro respectively. Arsenal got a better deal imo.
You’re only looking at the fee. Martinez has proven to be a smashing success and exactly what we needed. Let’s see if Timber proves to be exactly what Arsenal need and a key starting player there. And I do personally like the look of Timber.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
ManUtd fans are really creative, they get so creative to be miserable :lol:

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Jurrien means "God will uplift".
Timber means "wood".

So whenever you say his name basically you're saying "God will uplift wood", "God will uplift wood". Which is inappropriate for all situation and make you sound mental. DO NOT WANT, GLAD HE IS AN ARSE PLAYER.
"God will uplift wood at Arseanal". I feel dirty saying that.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
He has, but like the million times mentioned before, overpay affects our ability to spend elsewhere and in different scenarios, so yeah as a United fan I do care. 55m pounds for Mount on the last year of his contract, how much for Hojlund? It's part of the same pattern, whether you realize or not is a different scenario.
But why have we overpaid for Martinez? There's no evidence to suggest we have, yet. Based on his performances, he was probably priced appropriately. Mount is a bit of an overpay, but not a huge overpay considering all the factors of him being home grown and buying from a rival. Hojlund is a hypothetical that hasn't happened. We all know Antony was ridiculous, but so far in this window we've particularly hamstrung ourselves by overpaying and don't look to be doing that with Onana as well.

I think you're making a massive assumption in Timber will be equally good as Martinez, which there's currently zero proof of.

Kostov

You’re only looking at the fee. Martinez has proven to be a smashing success and exactly what we needed. Let’s see if Timber proves to be exactly what Arsenal need and a key starting player there. And I do personally like the look of Timber.
Well the fee issue was in my original post, and similar fees for Antony and now Mount, and countless of other deals is my point. Lisandro has been a successful signing so far, and I say he's probably my favorite player now after doubting him at the start.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
This Timber and Martinez discussion is a bit odd.

Yes Timber was United's first choice last season, and instead had to "settle" for Martinez when Timber was off the cards. But that worked out really well. Similarly to us, but instead of Martinez we "settled" for Zinchenko.

Timber may or may not develop into a better player than Martinez, and may cost a bit less. And if he does, so what? That doesn't change the fact that Martinez is a quality CB and is worth the price paid for him.

Antony is a different issue all together.

Kostov

Difference between Martinez and Timber (about what 12 million euros) deal isnt as big to claim Arsenal got a better deal before he even played for Arsenal. Especially since Martinez was so great for us.
And buying him I wouldnt add to 'headless chicken planning', we went for Timber, LVG said some shit things and then turned to Martinez.

Both the Martinez and Antony deals were kind of forced upon Ajax by offering an excessive amount of money, that has been the way we have dealt for about 10 years. And probably our biggest issue in planning and transfer activity. City got Akanji for peanuts, not because he wasn't rated by Dortmund, but because he was on the exit door and it was a smart deal by City. Now Timber looks like a similar deal to the context that Ajax have had time to plan without him and will happily let him leave.

Suv666

It's the Utd tax plus the ETH tax (you destroyed us by taking our manager so now you will pay extra if you want our players also - like with Antony).
I reckon it was more Ajax didn’t want to sell as they had lost a few players that window.

They do sell a few players every window but its never a Monaco like fire sale cause they have to be competitive as well.

Suv666

Didnt we still bid for Timber even after we got Martinez? I thought we wanted Timber to replace Dalot.
Afaik Timber didn’t want to move because LVG said he’ll drop him if he’s a benchwarmer at Utd. We got the better deal anyway, Martinez is an absolute beast

Rapsel

Supports
Ajax
Jurrien means "God will uplift".
Timber means "wood".

So whenever you say his name basically you're saying "God will uplift wood", "God will uplift wood". Which is inappropriate for all situation and make you sound mental. DO NOT WANT, GLAD HE IS AN ARSE PLAYER.
"God will uplift wood at Arseanal". I feel dirty saying that.
I see the Ketamin was on sale today?

Todd

Going into this window I was hoping we'd sign either Kim Min-jae or Timber, so this is all a bit disappointing.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I doubt we went for timber 1st over Martinez, just a rumour. Martinez is too specific as a left footed LCB to be one. Maybe we wanted timber as a RB.

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
Our defensive options are looking pretty solid now.
RB - White, Tomi, Timber
CB - Saliba, Gabriel, White, Kiwior, Timber, Holding (Tomi can also play here)
LB - Zinchenko, Tierney, Tavares (Tomi can also play here)
Though Soares and Tavares will probably be moved on this summer. Think Timber's versatility to cover CB and RB is definitely why Arteta wanted him. Also has some CL experience unlike most of our squad. Unlike the Rice and Havertz deals, we got a good price here.

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
Arsenals window this year reminds me a little bit of how everyone was panicking with Spurs last year, no doubt Arsenal are better than spuds, but this idea that they have won the transfer window and guaranteed to come second when we don't know anything about anyone else is what I find laughable.

Whilst Rice is class, I still think he might not be enough to carry them to a PL. Havertz we have seen nothing from in years at Chelsea really, and I don't see this "great value" at 65m, I really don't know what they are buying him to do, if it is as a cm how does he fit? Or is he going to play Rice and two 10s in havertz and Odegaard?
I think this is the plan. I a lot of games, at least. I can imagine us playing Rice and Jorginho behind Odegaard in tougher fixtures, particularly away. But Havertz - Rice - Odegaard would be great against the packed defenses we encountered frquently in the 2nd half of last season.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Well the fee issue was in my original post, and similar fees for Antony and now Mount, and countless of other deals is my point. Lisandro has been a successful signing so far, and I say he's probably my favorite player now after doubting him at the start.
You mentioned the fees. My point was the player and situation behind the fee. Martinez was their player of their year in a title winning team - that is always going to cost.

Also Martinez and Antony deals are nothing alike. Martinez is a brilliant player worth every cent and Antony is good but we’ll overpiced. Not sure why they’re bucketed together. Eriksen was a good deal I think.

SWE-Chucky

Supports
AIK Stockholm
Timber was considered by the media as the first choice, while ETH showed pretty fast that Martinez was his main CB target as he secured the signing as soon as possible. Funny thing is that he was Arsenals first choice also last years based on the fact that they even made official bids but as soon as United called Martinez did not think twice. Timber was the second choice for both clubs and was more seen as a big talent to play third choice CB or back up for the RBs and eventually if he keeps improving be a regular starter.

If ETH really wanted Timber, he would be a United player. Last season or this. And thank God we got Martinez (not saying Timber wont do a great job, but the passion, leadership och style of player Martinez is, is not to be found - Varane reminds me of Rio while we have our butcher in Martinez (Vidic). And we can probably see them playing together for at least 3-4, maybe 5 seasons if we play Varane wisely and give him enough of time to recover and stay fit.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Quite surprises me though, don't think he will have much of a shot at playing CB. And he's no RB, no matter how functional he can be there.

Huge fan of him, think he will do well, but seems like a far better move for Arsenal than for him in terms of his personal development.

They got a really good prospect to fill up a nice gap in their squad, who's value is only going to go up.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I doubt we went for timber 1st over Martinez, just a rumour. Martinez is too specific as a left footed LCB to be one. Maybe we wanted timber as a RB.
Nah it was very widely reported at the time, by credible journalists.

Judas

Open to offers
Going into this window I was hoping we'd sign either Kim Min-jae or Timber, so this is all a bit disappointing.
Why though? I never really saw CB as a position we were likely to address or spend much on, certainly not ahead of other areas. Just isn't a priority.

Idxomer

Even credible journalists get a lot of stuff wrong. Ten Hag was very clear he hated our left side defensively and wanted some changes there. It's the reason he bought two left-sided defenders and moved Maguire to the right from the start.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Thats even more worrying about ten hag if we had ended up with timber over Martinez alongside the performances of Antony last season. Maybe he was looking at timber more as our RB/RCB/RDM hybrid option more than our outright starting CB.

cyberman

Thats even more worrying about ten hag if we had ended up with timber over Martinez alongside the performances of Antony last season. Maybe he was looking at timber more as our RB/RCB/RDM hybrid option more than our outright starting CB.
Timber didn’t even join United to fail and you’re taking a shot at Ten Hag over it

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Even credible journalists get a lot of stuff wrong. Ten Hag was very clear he hated our left side defensively and wanted some changes there. It's the reason he bought two left-sided defenders and moved Maguire to the right from the start.
Not every credible journalist is actually wrong very often. You can't just punt he never wanted timber because Martinez was left footed. It was reported by various credible journos at the time that timber was the first choice defensive target. It's quite rare that all journalists are wrong at the same time.

There was no indication of him not wanting both, by the way.

Idxomer

Not every credible journalist is actually wrong very often. You can't just punt he never wanted timber because Martinez was left footed. It was reported by various credible journos at the time that timber was the first choice defensive target. It's quite rare that all journalists are wrong at the same time.

There was no indication of him not wanting both, by the way.
It could be the case considering there were links to Martinez also pretty early and before the whole LVG thing.

I think if it was the choice between the two, he would've picked Martinez. Maybe journalists assumed Timber was the first choice because of his contract situation and it was an easier deal to make.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
It could be the case considering there were links to Martinez also pretty early and before the whole LVG thing.

I think if it was the choice between the two, he would've picked Martinez. Maybe journalists assumed Timber was the first choice because of his contract situation and it was an easier deal to make.
Yes it could be anything. But we know beyond reasonable doubt that we were in for Timber as number 1 choice.

Your plausible scenario doesn't make it very likely.

DutchSerb

Supports
FC Groningen
Our defensive options are looking pretty solid now.
RB - White, Tomi, Timber
CB - Saliba, Gabriel, White, Kiwior, Timber, Holding (Tomi can also play here)
LB - Zinchenko, Tierney, Tavares (Tomi can also play here)
Though Soares and Tavares will probably be moved on this summer. Think Timber's versatility to cover CB and RB is definitely why Arteta wanted him. Also has some CL experience unlike most of our squad. Unlike the Rice and Havertz deals, we got a good price here.
Surely Timber should be over Tomiyasu and Kiwior in the pecking order? Unless you didn't mean anything by the order you wrote them in.

Ace of Spades

Timber was our first choice because of his ability to play as a RB and a CB. Licha was the better CB between the two, but we were looking for Timber as he could cover two positions for us. AWB did not play until Dalot got injured after the WC, and then he played really well and kept his place.

Our defense is looking pretty good overall. I would say that all of our defense played well last year.

Timber looks a talented player, but not something to cry about. We can't buy every player when there are still other positions to fill.

Todd

Why though? I never really saw CB as a position we were likely to address or spend much on, certainly not ahead of other areas. Just isn't a priority.
We need someone who can deputize for Varane and be his eventual replacement, and of course we all expect Maguire is on his way out. I would've preferred KMJ but Timber is a versatile player who would've been a good signing.

SER19

Good signing for arsenal, but we can't sign everyone. At the moment, we have other priorities and that leaves other clubs a run at players. It's why we might get Onana for example. Or why we got Casemiro.

CannonBalls

Supports
Arsenal

Difference is 22.5m euros.
Honestly I would be happy regardless after seeing how Martinez performed last year. If a player performs then prize tag does not matter.

Its ironic that Martinez was our first choice and he ended at United and Timber being your first choice ends at Arsenal.

Real Name

Difference is 22.5m euros.
Honestly I would be happy regardless after seeing how Martinez performed last year. If a player performs then prize tag does not matter.

Its ironic that Martinez was our first choice and he ended at United and Timber being your first choice ends at Arsenal.
I think you should check the numbers again.

But a good story yes, we changed our priorities. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.