How will they line up?

Ramsdale
Timber ---------- Gabriel --------- Saliba --------- Zinchenko
Rice
Havertz -------------- Odeegard
Saka -------------------- Jesus ----------------- Martinelli​

Idxomer

What do you mean?

Timber is signed to solve the Saliba point.

Havertz has signed to help with more goals from midfield. We also have ESR back who was our top scorer 2 seasons ago and didn't play any part last season really.
That's not a good solution.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
What do you mean?

Timber is signed to solve the Saliba point.

Havertz has signed to help with more goals from midfield. We also have ESR back who was our top scorer 2 seasons ago and didn't play any part last season really.
Timber is nothing like Saliba defensively, so I'm not sure how it solves that problem

Havertz with his whopping 7 goals whilst playing up top most of the season? I take the ESR point, but big if on him staying fit too. Personally think with the amount you've spent, it's not done enough to close the gap to City. What do I know though!

Kaos

Have to say, Arsenal have been all business this window. Yes they've gotten ripped off with the Rice deal but thats still a pretty monumental grab for them.

Interesting to see if they can match or even expand on their league position last year.

Nish115

Supports
Arsenal
Timber is nothing like Saliba defensively, so I'm not sure how it solves that problem

Havertz with his whopping 7 goals whilst playing up top most of the season? I take the ESR point, but big if on him staying fit too. Personally think with the amount you've spent, it's not done enough to close the gap to City. What do I know though!
Maybe not but it opens up Ben White playing CB and Timber playing RB if Saliba gets injured, and I think White and Gabriel works very well too as a partnership (they've already done it for a season before).

And we'll have to wait and see what Havertz shows up for Arsenal tbh, but in theory he is a bigger goal threat than Xhaka (even though he did well last season). ESR is an if but it sounds like the club purposefully reduced his minutes last season even when he was back from injury so that he could properly recover and not rush him back. I am hoping that and getting minutes for the U21s means he'll be ready to go again next season.

And I think it might be enough to close the gap, but not sure it's enough to overtake them yet tbh. Depends what City do and if they lose players.

Nish115

Supports
Arsenal
I dont think Timber will play that much
White will start at RB. Timber will rotate in and out and play cups. There is scope for Timber to overtake White but.. tbh White was top class last season so will take a lot for me.

Lee565

Have to say, Arsenal have been all business this window. Yes they've gotten ripped off with the Rice deal but thats still a pretty monumental grab for them.

Interesting to see if they can match or even expand on their league position last year.
For all the signings I just don't see them having enough firepower with Jesus as their main striker

Kaos

For all the signings I just don't see them having enough firepower with Jesus as their main striker
I mean City did fine with Jesus as their only real focal point of attack.

Arsenal aren't really a team that lacks in goals anyway. They were the second highest scoring team in the league last season.

Nish115

Supports
Arsenal
But we scored 88 goals last season, only 6 less than City?

Time will tell if Saka/Odegaard/Martinelli can do it again I appreciate, but it proved we don't need a Haaland to score similar goals to City if we can spread it.

Gavinb33

White will start at RB. Timber will rotate in and out and play cups. There is scope for Timber to overtake White but.. tbh White was top class last season so will take a lot for me.
White and Saka is a big part of you play especially in the attacking phase, as the Ajax fan posted Timber at RB might not be best suited to his game, I dont see him replacing the centre backs he is just more cover imo

Kaos

White and Saka is a big part of you play especially in the attacking phase, as the Ajax fan posted Timber at RB might not be best suited to his game, I dont see him replacing the centre backs he is just more cover imo
Interesting how he's joining as a squad player. If LVG was still the Dutch coach I wonder if he would have kicked up the same stink about it being a bad move that would reduce his NT chances, just as he did last summer when it looked like he was joining us.

Nish115

Supports
Arsenal
A traditional RB isn't suited to his game it seems, but playing a similar role to White might be suited. Or like Zinchenko but on the other side with Tierney on the left side or something. I'm sure Arteta has a plan.

RuudTom83

I'm a fan of the 50 million transfer signings...they cant really go wrong (hopefully that is a totally jinx on Timber) but if he is bang average or has a bad game then no bid deal, he only cost 45 mill!

Whereas your Pogba's and Antony's have to be doing MOTM performances every week or that get a total hammering.

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
Do they? Towards the end of the season the goals dried up and Saliba was absent. They've not done anything to address that in my eyes.

I imagine if Partey goes they'll get another midfielder for depth. With Xhaka going as well, they'll be reliant on Rice not getting an injury.
Where has the idea that Arsenal struggled for goals last season come from?

You’re right about our defence collapsing without Saliba (and to a lesser extent, Tomiyasu) though. That makes it even more baffling how you can’t see the signing of a top class CB/RB will strengthen us a great deal.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Where has the idea that Arsenal struggled for goals last season come from?

You’re right about our defence collapsing without Saliba (and to a lesser extent, Tomiyasu) though. That makes it even more baffling how you can’t see the signing of a top class CB/RB will strengthen us a great deal.
The end of the season you struggled to score when it mattered, some key games. That's undeniable. Not only that, in games like Liverpool, West ham and Southampton you needed someone to come up with the goods - had ample opportunities to as well.

Timber's strengths aren't Salibas strengths though, they're very different CBs. It certainly adds quality in depth, but if Saliba missed some big games again, I think you'll see the same problems.

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
The end of the season you struggled to score when it mattered, some key games. That's undeniable. Not only that, in games like Liverpool, West ham and Southampton you needed someone to come up with the goods - had ample opportunities to as well.

Timber's strengths aren't Salibas strengths though, they're very different CBs. It certainly adds quality in depth, but if Saliba missed some big games again, I think you'll see the same problems.
We scored twice against Liverpool. At Anfield. Then twice against West Ham. Also away. We put 3 past Southampton. That’s 7 goals in the 3 games you’ve picked, with a further 81 across the season.

You could maybe predict that our forwards won’t replicate that form again this season. But it’s a bit weird to try and rewrite what happened last season. There are a fair few witnesses to the fact that we scored a lot of goals.

Some of Timber’s strengths are different to Saliba’s. I don’t see why that’s a problem, we’re not looking for clones - we’re trying to strengthen our squad. Timber probably won’t be our first choice to replace Saliba, anyway. We’d likely move White inside in the first instance.

More importantly, Timber shares two of Saliba’s attributes that Holding lacked in the run-in, to our great cost. He’s pacy enough to facilitate a high line and he is comfortable playing out from the back. I really wish we had bought him last season - things may have ended very differently.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Is that accurate?

He really is trying to emulate Pep.
Outgoings since he's taken over have totalled €60.1 million (according to Transfermarket). The year prior we got €53.65 million alone.

That's really poor and our fans have bemoaned our inability to sell unwanted players for years, which has mainly been due to their huge wages. Quite a similar situation to the one United is in now.

But over that same period we've been able to significantly reduce the wage bill by moving on - PEA, Mustafi, Ozil, Kolasinac, Mkhi, Torreira, Mari, Ramsey, Sokratis, Willian (easy come easy go), Chambers, Bellerin, Lacazette. Almost all of them were nearing the end of their peak years, or were well past them.

We've gone from having an older and overpaid squad, to now having a young squad with only five players over the age of 27 that will be in the squad for next season - Trossard (28), Turner (29), Partey (30), El Neny (30) and Jorginho (31). With the arrival of Rice I'd argue that none of them are starters.

Trossard, Partey and to a lesser extent Jorginho will be important players though.

Everyone else is 26 or younger:

19 - Patino *

20 - Marquinhos **

21 - Saka

22 - Martinelli
22 - Saliba
22 - ESR
22 - Timber
22 - Balogun *

23 - Kiwior
23 - Vieira
23 - Nelson
23 - Tavares *
23 - Lokonga *

24 - Havertz
24 - Rice
24 - Odegaard
24 - Nketiah
24 - Tomiyasu

25 - Ramsdale
25 - White
25 - Gabriel

26 - Zinchenko
26 - Jesus
26 - KT

* likely sold or moved on (Patino and Balogun's choice :( unfortunately)
** likely loaned again

That means that the core of the squad could be together for several years - this is something that's being overlooked with the discussion regarding our big spending. IMO it means that we won't have to spend as much moving forward as we've got a core now, and will be able to (hopefully) sign top players here and there to replace outgoings.

The squad has been completely overhauled.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal

People forget that ESR scored 10 league goals as a 20 year old. His injury and fitness issues have been a big problem, and him being sidelined gave Martinelli a clean run at it, so it worked out in a way.

ESR is now looking the fittest he's been and his persistent groin issue seems to be behind him. I have high hopes for him this season, though I wonder where he will be played - a mix between LW and one of the midfield spots.

On a side note I always thought he could play up-top. He's great on the ball and is a quality finisher/striker.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Interesting how he's joining as a squad player. If LVG was still the Dutch coach I wonder if he would have kicked up the same stink about it being a bad move that would reduce his NT chances, just as he did last summer when it looked like he was joining us.
I think there will be plenty of games to go around.

IMO in White and Timber we have two players prodominantly covering RB and backup CB to Saliba.

Timber could be used in midfield at times too? But I doubt that.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
If things stay as is, looks like we will be finishing behind Arsenal again.
That would be expected. They’re far more advanced in their development as a team.

I saw Timber a bit when we were linked with him and ETH and he looks like such a great talent on the ball. Not sure how he’s been since but on paper he would have been a quality upgrade on one of our RBs. Basically the kind of player who’d help us bridge the technical gap with the top 2 of last year but instead it helps one of them stretch it.

Real Name

That would be expected. They’re far more advanced in their development as a team.

I saw Timber a bit when we were linked with him and ETH and he looks like such a great talent on the ball. Not sure how he’s been since but on paper he would have been a quality upgrade on one of our RBs.
The fact Arteta is there for a few years certainly helps. The fact we finished 3rd with the new manager is a good one too.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
We scored twice against Liverpool. At Anfield. Then twice against West Ham. Also away. We put 3 past Southampton. That’s 7 goals in the 3 games you’ve picked, with a further 81 across the season.

You could maybe predict that our forwards won’t replicate that form again this season. But it’s a bit weird to try and rewrite what happened last season. There are a fair few witnesses to the fact that we scored a lot of goals.

Some of Timber’s strengths are different to Saliba’s. I don’t see why that’s a problem, we’re not looking for clones - we’re trying to strengthen our squad. Timber probably won’t be our first choice to replace Saliba, anyway. We’d likely move White inside in the first instance.

More importantly, Timber shares two of Saliba’s attributes that Holding lacked in the run-in, to our great cost. He’s pacy enough to facilitate a high line and he is comfortable playing out from the back. I really wish we had bought him last season - things may have ended very differently.
I'm not re-writing history, you're misunderstanding what I'm saying. In those three games, you may have scored, but you also created a load of chances to win those games you didn't score - which were key in the run in.

I appreciate you're not looking for clones, but they should be equal in terms of key attributes - ie 1v1 defending. Timber just isn't on Saliba's level.

Anyway, I'm happy for you you're confident anyway!

Last edited:

Himannv

How will they line up?

Ramsdale
Timber ---------- Gabriel --------- Saliba --------- Zinchenko
Rice
Havertz -------------- Odeegard
Saka -------------------- Jesus ----------------- Martinelli​
I reckon they'll play Havertz up top. They just don't want to be delivering crosses to Jesus.

Enigma_87

You know who
If things stay as is, looks like we will be finishing behind Arsenal again.
People seem to overrate Arsenal a lot around here. So they finished 2nd and we did couple of times in the last 5-6 years. That means feck all next season and many of Arsenal players flattered to deceive last year.

Havertz is fecking shite and was for three straight years at Chelsea yet people are drooling over him now..

amolbhatia50k

Arsenal getting Timber for 45m while we got ripped open last summer for Martinez. I though Ajax were friends of ours.
Are they equals? I thought Martinez was their POTY during a successful season unlike this one just gone by.

I don’t see the Martinez fee as us ‘getting ripped open’. If so, let’s hope we get ripped open numerous times over the coming years (as gross as that sounds).

crossy1686

career ending
Are they equals? I thought Martinez was their POTY during a successful season unlike this one just gone by.

I don’t see the Martinez fee as us ‘getting ripped open’. If so, let’s hope we get ripped open numerous times over the coming years (as gross as that sounds(.
Didn't we want Timber first but switched when Van Gaal told him to think about his Holland career?

Also, apparently we decided not to go back in for Timber this summer as him and Martinez have similar profiles.

Kostov

I don’t see the Martinez fee as us ‘getting ripped open’. If so, let’s hope we get ripped open numerous times over the coming years (as gross as that sounds).
Ajax have had a bad season, that does not make Timber a bad player, he is 3 years younger than Martinez for example and already has had very good contributions. Don't get me wrong Lisandro has been quality, but we paid 60m and these cnuts get Timber for 45m.

Real Name

Ajax have had a bad season, that does not make Timber a bad player, he is 3 years younger than Martinez for example and already has had very good contributions. Don't get me wrong Lisandro has been quality, but we paid 60m and these cnuts get Timber for 45m.
What's your logic, we should have paid the same amount?

Davie Moyes

It's the Utd tax plus the ETH tax (you destroyed us by taking our manager so now you will pay extra if you want our players also - like with Antony).

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
People seem to overrate Arsenal a lot around here. So they finished 2nd and we did couple of times in the last 5-6 years. That means feck all next season and many of Arsenal players flattered to deceive last year.

Havertz is fecking shite and was for three straight years at Chelsea yet people are drooling over him now..
Who is overeating us? Show us a single post would you. No one is claiming we'll win the league or the CL.

Hughes35

Arsenal have built a really strong squad, fair play to them.

City, Arsenal and Liverpool look like they will be strong next year and Chelsea will also be better than previous.

The scrap for the top 4 is well and truly on.......... and we are currently going to do it without a Striker or GK....... it's worrying times at the moment.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Who cares? We got an amazing player who's been integral to our transformation and is now a fan favourite. You have no idea if Timber will be a success, so far Martinez has been very much worth his fee.

amolbhatia50k

Yes because Martinez is more valuable being their best player in a successful title winning season.

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
I'm not re-writing history, you're misunderstanding what I'm saying. In those three games, you may have scored, but you also created a load of chances to win those games you didn't score - which were key in the run in.

I appreciate you're not looking for clones, but they should be equal in terms of key attributes - ie 1v1 defending. Timber just isn't on Saliba's level.

Anyway, I'm happy for you you're confident anyway!
Yeah, fair enough. I don't think I misunderstand you.

You're correct in saying that we would have won games that we drew had we scored more goals in those games... but that's true for every team. You're also correct in saying that it would be beneficial if our rotation options were equal to our first choice in key attributes... once again that's true for every team.

I'm actually not at all confident that we can overtake City. By hook or (most likely) by crook, they've assembled arguably the strongest squad of all time.

I'm just saying that we scored 88 goals last year and that the addition of Timber to our squad will strengthen our back line. Other than points that apply to literally every football team at all times, I'm not too sure what it is that you're saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.