Jurriën Timber | Arsenal player

Status
Not open for further replies.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Have any Caftards watched much of him? Can you tell me your thoughts, where he might fit, etc?

From what I've read, and the (very) little I've seen, he looks like a talented versatile defender that's good on the ball. I like what I saw.

But IMO it's hardly a pressing need. Though obviously good squad depth is what's needed to compete on multiple fronts.
Please read this thread from the beginning. Pretty much as detailed as you can get.

Ghostrider318

Is it just me but why are so many players "interested" to work with that fraud Arteta? What has he ever achieved besides bottling the league last season?
I think hes shown good judgement since hes come on. He cleared out the dross, implemented a system and had a pretty decent run in the league. That always inspires confidence I suppose on players who are being courted by such teams. Us meanwhile have a huge amount of uncertainty hanging over our head due to the sale dragging on

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Is it just me but why are so many players "interested" to work with that fraud Arteta? What has he ever achieved besides bottling the league last season?
if a club pays up, many many players will be interested to work with a manager you have never heard of in Saudi or China.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
He'd play in White's role I'd imagine and he probably would be an upgrade sooner than later. He's excellent on the ball and as a passer. Last year under ten Hag, playing as a RB on paper:
Thanks mate. Can't see him replacing White, he has been great so far. But the stronger depth we have the better.

After taking the advice from @bond19821982 it seems that Timber would be able to play a similar role to Zinchenko, but on the opposite side.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Thanks mate. Can't see him replacing White, he has been great so far. But the stronger depth we have the better.

After taking the advice from @bond19821982 it seems that Timber would be able to play a similar role to Zinchenko, but on the opposite side.
We need competition for Gabriel and Saliba. Timber can play both CB and RB so his versatility is very useful, only if Edu can close the deal.

Last edited:

bucky

Yeah, that was what I was implying with my post.

Ajaxsuarez

Supports
Ajax
Would be wary of this signing anyway, I mean what are the chances that both the Ajax cb defenders when ETH left would just so happened to be good enough for United? not very imo.

I think it's fair to say that we've got the best two already.
I mean Ajax have had a number of CBs in Ten Hag squads that would be good enough for United.

De Ligt, Martinez, Botman. If there’s one thing you can basically rely on being decent purchases these past 10 years it’s our good centrebacks for some reason:

someone like schuurs at Torino has also supposedly had a really good first season in Italy since leaving

and obviously going back you have three 3 Belgians, and Blind

bucky

Considering the reason he rejected us last year, I find it a bit puzzling to go to Arsenal, where he has Saliba in his favoured position and White, in his second position, has had a very good season.

Red Rash

If Kim Min Jae does go to Bayern I wouldn't be surprised if we went back in for Timber. The price is quite good and he could cover CB and RB, is used to ETH style of play and has partnered Martinez before

bucky

If Kim Min Jae does go to Bayern I wouldn't be surprised if we went back in for Timber. The price is quite good and he could cover CB and RB, is used to ETH style of play and has partnered Martinez before
Their partnership is not something we would get away with in the EPL. It worked in the Eredivisie, but it is not going to work in the most physical league in the world. Even if it's gotten less important how good defenders are at aerial duels, those two wouldn't complement each other well enough for this league. Carragher was wrong about Martinez, but he could make the same point about their partnership, and he'd probably be right. Especially as long as de Gea is still our goalkeeper. The likes of Brentford would exploit us at set pieces.

Bwuk

I’d be surprised at Arsenal tbh.

I doubt they drop Saliba or Gabriel at CB, and White was good at RB.

Maybe Tomiyasu is moved on?

footyfan019

Supports
Arsenal
Tomiyasu is a sicknote, one of the reasons we lost ground during the title run when Saliba got injured. We dropped a lot of quality when both were out. Also with Timber we could rotate easily in Europe. This will mark the end of Rob Holding in squad.

lsd

The Oracle
Looks like Arsenal are getting a free run at him.

Have we just dropped all interest or do we have someone else planned?

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Thank feck we signed Licha. Otherwise he'd be Arsenal player instead of Timber.

Hughes35

Fair play to Arsenal. They are really going for it and look like they will be really strong next year.

Havertz, Rice and Timber hugely improves their squad.

LuckyScout78

Timber < Kevin Danso from Lens.

I will easily pick Kevin Danso over Timber

United can't play with 2 not really high CB. Again top clubs with really good set pieces. I think United will struggle with both Timber and Martinez.

Kim Min Jae or the alternative option is Kevin Danso. One of tose + Martinez will be a really strong CB partnership.

CannonBalls

Supports
Arsenal
Timber < Kevin Danso from Lens.

I will easily pick Kevin Danso over Timber

United can't play with 2 not really high CB. Again top clubs with really good set pieces. I think United will struggle with both Timber and Martinez.

Kim Min Jae or the alternative option is Kevin Danso. One of tose + Martinez will be a really strong CB partnership.
We are signing him mostly to play RB just like we were planning to play Martinez as LB.

I think this would work better for both as i think as a CB Martinez may be better and as a inverted full back Timber maybe better

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
Done deal to the arse:
The initial fee will be £36.5million, rising to £40.5m with add-ons.

Yet for us: United agreed to pay in the region of £47million for Martinez, plus another £8.5million in potential add-ons.

The united tax is ridiculous.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Done deal to the arse:

Yet for us: United agreed to pay in the region of £47million for Martinez, plus another £8.5million in potential add-ons.

Yeah, that's ludicrous. A great deal for them.

Anustart89

Done deal to the arse:

It's almost as if different players command different fees.

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
It's almost as if different players command different fees.
no shit Sherlock. I thought they were the same player. Almost like two players rated on the same level, from the same league, same team, with one being even more versatile in the case of Timber, should go for similar fees but thanks for solving the mystery that its due to them being two different players. I just realised that every player is different to each other and all these fans and teams who use players as benchmarks should have had a genius like you tell them that they're not actually the same.

mu4c_20le

They wanted 50m from us last year. So unless he had a poor season, that is odd.

Anustart89

no shit Sherlock. I thought they were the same player. Almost like two players rated on the same level, from the same league, same team, with one being even more versatile in the case of Timber, should go for similar fees but thanks for solving the mystery that its due to them being two different players. I just realised that every player is different to each other and all these fans and teams who use players as benchmarks should have had a genius like you tell them that they're not actually the same.
Martinez was Ajax's player of the year that season. It's not unreasonable that he'd cost a bit more.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...-talks-with-ajax-over-defender-jurrien-timber

Here's an article from last year that says that Ajax valued him at £43m, so not too dissimilar from what he went for this year, after what turned out to be a disappointing season for Ajax with no league title and managerial turmoil.

Before you turn all aggressive towards me maybe you should consider not making nonsensical points that make no sense.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
I would have preferred to let AWB go and we go for this guy.

Don't think we have the money and he won't wait one more year.

InfiniteBoredom

In hindsight we made the better move going for Licha tbh, Timber's potential is clear but the season he just had proves that he isnt quite ready yet to consistently perform with increased responsibility and expectation. He might catches fire at Assna but most likely it will take a while for him to adapt, if at all.

On that note, their transfer strategy seems shrewd from a value perspective, but from the sporting perspective it's quite risky. Adding 3 young players to an already young squad that badly collapsed in the run in doesn't seem like an obvious move to ensure that from not happening again. They can protest all they like about the drop off from Saliba to Holding but dropping a 2 goal lead twice and drew at home to the bottom of the table team in successive games goes deeper than just one player. If the plan is to let the squad grows together and win in 2-3 years time, fair dos, but that has certain risks too, as Wenger found out.

OverratedOpinion

With him and Havertz that is over 100m spent on mediocre backup. Will be interesting to see if they make top 4 again next season. They will actually have to pay some attention to at least 1 other competition and judging from the last 6 years Liverpool will probably go again and Chelsea will look something like a football club. Ten Hag has had a season to settle in and Newcastle seem willing to spend. I have a sneaky feeling they are in for a bit of a reality check.

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
On that note, their transfer strategy seems shrewd from a value perspective, but from the sporting perspective it's quite risky. Adding 3 young players to an already young squad that badly collapsed in the run in doesn't seem like an obvious move to ensure that from not happening again. They can protest all they like about the drop off from Saliba to Holding but dropping a 2 goal lead twice and drew at home to the bottom of the table team in successive games goes deeper than just one player. If the plan is to let the squad grows together and win in 2-3 years time, fair dos, but that has certain risks too, as Wenger found out.
It wasn't just Saliba's injury that killed our season - it was losing both Saliba and Tomiyasu at the same time (literally in the same game!). If it was just Saliba, White would move to CB (where he played previously) and Tomi RB. We'd have been much better off. But losing 2 defenders at once was disastrous.

Regarding adding more young players - Rice and Havertz are young but quite experienced. They're not unproven youngsters. Both PL proven, both regularly play for their national teams and both have won trophies. If Havertz-Rice-Odegaard clicks we've got our midfield for the next decade (all 3 are 24yo). Hopefully Arteta can get them cooking.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
He had. Ajax had a bad year in general. Only Alvarez and Kudus had an acceptable season. Timber wasnt great at the World Cup either.
I suppose Timber also has a year less left on his contract now - except if I missed that he signed an extension.

InfiniteBoredom

It wasn't just Saliba's injury that killed our season - it was losing both Saliba and Tomiyasu at the same time (literally in the same game!). If it was just Saliba, White would move to CB (where he played previously) and Tomi RB. We'd have been much better off. But losing 2 defenders at once was disastrous.

Regarding adding more young players - Rice and Havertz are young but quite experienced. They're not unproven youngsters. Both PL proven, both regularly play for their national teams and both have won trophies. If Havertz-Rice-Odegaard clicks we've got our midfield for the next decade (all 3 are 24yo). Hopefully Arteta can get them cooking.
We’ve been over this ground before, before those injuries you kept like 3 clean sheets in 10 games since the FA cup defeat against City, and conceded 2 goals or more in 4 occasions, it wasn’t some type of watertight defense. Of course, there’s the valid argument that Saliba allowed for Zinchenko and White to be more attacking, but that doesn’t explain conceding 7 goals in 3 match from winning position or at home against relegation fodder. The team just wilted under pressure, that’s ok, that’s normal for a young team, even more so for their first title challenge, but you can’t just say missing a couple of players doomed your title chance when the team was still capable of winning comfortably away to Newcastle, or blowing Wolves away when pressure is off.

As for experience, Havertz and Rice have less experience being involved in a title race than the majority of your team. Depending on them to lift the mentality and resilience of the team is suspect at best.

OverratedOpinion

Calling Havertz premier league proven is absurd. So far he's proven what Sancho has proven. That the Premier League is a lot harder than the Bundesliga.

Mental signing. It's like if Chelsea had brought Shinji Kagawa off us for 30m back on 2014.

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
We’ve been over this ground before, before those injuries you kept like 3 clean sheets in 10 games since the FA cup defeat against City, and conceded 2 goals or more in 4 occasions, it wasn’t some type of watertight defense. Of course, there’s the valid argument that Saliba allowed for Zinchenko and White to be more attacking, but that doesn’t explain conceding 7 goals in 3 match from winning position or at home against relegation fodder. The team just wilted under pressure, that’s ok, that’s normal for a young team, even more so for their first title challenge, but you can’t just say missing a couple of players doomed your title chance when the team was still capable of winning comfortably away to Newcastle, or blowing Wolves away when pressure is off.

As for experience, Havertz and Rice have less experience being involved in a title race than the majority of your team. Depending on them to lift the mentality and resilience of the team is suspect at best.
Fair points but we have a particularly thin, and inexperienced, squad as you point out. So we can't deal with injuries as well as other teams. I wasn't suggesting that the injuries alone killed us - of course we choked at the crucial time. No one could honestly argue otherwise. For example, Partey's form fell off a cliff the last month, but Im sure that was also partly because he had Holding behind him instead of Saliba.

Time will tell whether Arteta's strategy will prove right re emphasis on youth. I certainly can't argue that it's the road less travelled. For now, he has absolutely transformed us and built a very good team. And if these young players fulfil the potential they've shown, then sky's the limit. I can say that I haven't been this excited about my club since the days of prime Ozil-Sanchez, but what's happening here feels bigger. Looks like our spending may not be done yet, even if we seal Timber. Talk is Arteta wants another midfielder, but that may depend on if Partey stays or not.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
I’d be surprised at Arsenal tbh.

I doubt they drop Saliba or Gabriel at CB, and White was good at RB.

Maybe Tomiyasu is moved on?
No chance we move Tomiyasu on, unless of course he wants to go. He can cover every position in the defence to a solid level at least.

I think signing Timber offers us great versatility and seemingly can play a similar way to Zinchenko, but obviously on the other flank.

LB:
- Zinchenko
- KT (?)
- Tomiyasu
- Tavares (?)

LCB:
- Gabriel
- Kiwior
- Tomiyasu

RCB:
- Saliba
- White