"Just how bad a decision was it?"

redfromcanada

Gomes made the mistake of not making enough of a touch on the ball. Otherwise, it would have been more clear. The only way to rectify this situation would have been through video replay, which is still inconclusive. Therefore, Webb's decision would have been allowed to stand anyway.

green demon

Caf Nostradamous 2008
Near to nowhere, in the suburbs of Amnesia.
Gomes made the mistake of not making enough of a touch on the ball. Otherwise, it would have been more clear. The only way to rectify this situation would have been through video replay, which is still inconclusive. Therefore, Webb's decision would have been allowed to stand anyway.
If Video replays had already been brought in, Webb would probably have stopped the game. If then the video jury comes back and says "No foul", Webb would have to award a dropped ball and it couldn't be like the ones they do now for fake injuries where one team is ordered to kick it to the opponents who aren't challenging for it. No, it would have to be a proper full on challenge drop ball. Apart from the defending kicker, the others would have to go behind the line as the incident happened 10 yards out. Could almost be as good as a penalty if the attacking team's kicker was quicker.

GE

Negative Moaning Mentalist
I cannot believe the big fuss over this penalty in the media, it's ridiculous. It's just a bloody scapegoat for Spurs bottling a big lead, again! The way we was playing, a goal was going to be scored sooner rather than later, and it would have got the place buzzing, helping us to win the game, or at least draw it. I have no doubts about that. The way the lads came out firing on all cylinders was fantastic, the game would never have finished 2-0.

It's not as if the score was 2-2 and we was awarded this "dodgy penalty" in the 92nd minute, for feck sakes! We'll never hear the end of this either, it will always be brought up when United get awarded a penalty at Old Trafford that isn't a stone-waller. As someone posted above, our players will have to be shot down before we get another penalty awarded this season.

redmania

Anyone wanna bet they'll bring it up tonight during the game against Arse?

It's funny how the ABUhaters are clinging on and making a big deal about this cause they thought we were dead at halftime. I say let them be, we all know our mental strength and spurs lack of it was the REAL reason for a 5-0 scoreline in the second half.

B Cantona

Desperate
I cannot believe the big fuss over this penalty in the media, it's ridiculous. It's just a bloody scapegoat for Spurs bottling a big lead, again! The way we was playing, a goal was going to be scored sooner rather than later, and it would have got the place buzzing, helping us to win the game, or at least draw it. I have no doubts about that. The way the lads came out firing on all cylinders was fantastic, the game would never have finished 2-0.

It's not as if the score was 2-2 and we was awarded this "dodgy penalty" in the 92nd minute, for feck sakes! We'll never hear the end of this either, it will always be brought up when United get awarded a penalty at Old Trafford that isn't a stone-waller. As someone posted above, our players will have to be shot down before we get another penalty awarded this season.
Agreed

And for all this "ah but it gave you momentum" talk, it completely misses the fact we HAD momentum, we were starting to lay siege on the Spurs goal, the crowd was up, Spurs were dropping deeper and deeper... you never know what would have happened, but the most ridiculous thing to come out of this is Harry Redknapp's claim Spurs would definitely have won the game had the penalty not been given. Prat

gbgary

I cannot believe the big fuss over this penalty in the media...
i know. and it's funny that 99% of the people, when asked when they first saw it if they thought it was a penalty, they say yes. webb obviously did too. there's no replay and shouldn't be so all the arguing is pointless. it meant nothing nothing in the end was wasn't some sort of turning point. that came when tevez stepped on the pitch.

fatboy

well lets just say the penalty was not given ...how do they explain the other four goals that was scored ...
It's the unspoken rule that if you're staging a comeback from 2 goals down at half time, you need to get a goal within the hour, failing which you're supposed to just accept defeat and go away quietly. Conversely if you succeed, the other team naturally folds to concede another 4.

So it can be seen that the penalty, was in fact worth 5 goals.

Facht!

Denis' cuff

Good read from Winter that but this line "if you take the ball and the man, it is reckless and therefore a foul." is bollocks.

Fair enough if you use excessive force but if your momentum takes you into the man causing him to fall over after winning the ball then it is not a foul.
you keep going on about Gomez "winning" the ball. He didn't. He merely got a slight touch on it and it can justifiably be argued that he made sure he took the man in doing merely that. Similarly, outfield, players clatter into others and justify it by saying he got a touch on the ball whilst the player is put into Row 67. Far dodgier pens have been given with barely a murmur but this involves Manchester United. Normal rules don't apply. This incident aside, I've been saying for yonks that the media are putting pressure on referees at every contentious issue that inevitably benefits United (just as they inevitably benefit other teams) and as a result we are missing out on penalties, being wrongly flagged offside and players being sent off for "offences" that would go unnoticed with other clubs. It has reached such a pitch that refs are terrified of awarding us pens (despite this last one) because they know they'll be put thru the ringer by the media.....and if they didn't know it before, they sure do now.

green demon

Caf Nostradamous 2008
Near to nowhere, in the suburbs of Amnesia.
you keep going on about Gomez "winning" the ball. He didn't. He merely got a slight touch on it and it can justifiably be argued that he made sure he took the man in doing merely that. Similarly, outfield, players clatter into others and justify it by saying he got a touch on the ball whilst the player is put into Row 67. Far dodgier pens have been given with barely a murmur but this involves Manchester United. Normal rules don't apply. This incident aside, I've been saying for yonks that the media are putting pressure on referees at every contentious issue that inevitably benefits United (just as they inevitably benefit other teams) and as a result we are missing out on penalties, being wrongly flagged offside and players being sent off for "offences" that would go unnoticed with other clubs. It has reached such a pitch that refs are terrified of awarding us pens (despite this last one) because they know they'll be put thru the ringer by the media.....and if they didn't know it before, they sure do now.
Spot on, very good post.

I can't actually remember the last penalty we were awarded where there was no controversy and people claiming we shouldn't have been given it, no matter how blatant.

gaffs

Fair play to Webb. If the ref says he made a mistake, i think that should close the debate.

Webb holds his hands up over United penalty

8 hours ago

LONDON (AFP) — Top English referee Howard Webb conceded on Tuesday he had been wrong to award English Premier League leaders Manchester United a crucial penalty against Spurs last Saturday.

Spurs were leading 2-0 at the time when Webb - who only last week was appointed referee for May's FA Cup final - pointed to the spot after judging Spurs 'keeper Heurelho Gomes to have fouled Michael Carrick.

That proved to be the turning point as Spurs folded completely to end up on the wrong end of a 5-2 defeat.

"I've looked at it again and I think it was a mistake but we make these decisions honestly," said the 37-year-old, who last year received death threats from Polish fans for awarding Euro 2008 co-hosts Austria a late penalty in their group game which they converted to force a 1-1 draw.

"It's not always easy to see the way the play pans out from pitch level," he told the BBC.

"I could see the Manchester United player touch the ball and saw him get clattered by the goalkeeper but didn't see the extra deviation from the goalkeeper's fingers touching the ball.

"I'm disappointed as I always strive for perfection. I'll look at the tape in detail later in the week and try to avoid it happening again in the future.

"I never want to have a negative impact on a game and I get no pleasure from not reaching the high standards we set ourselves.

"But show me a man who's never made a mistake and I'll show you a man who's done nothing."

Webb admitted in January he had experienced the lowest moment of his career when during the Birmingham Wolves FA Cup third round tie he inadvertently deflected a pass by Birmingham's Radhi Jaidi to Wolves striker Andy Keogh which led to Sam Vokes scoring - Wolves won the match 2-0.

"You want the world to swallow you up at that moment," he said at the time.
http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5hzmlK_5x1utgvh20J3eoibONY4kQ

Skelter

Internet GYPO
Meanwhile, it has emerged Spurs midfielder Jermaine Jenas could face disciplinary action over his comments about Webb's decision.

The Football Association has given him seven days to respond to his remarks in which he said Webb had "crumbled under pressure".

Jenas was quoted as saying: "The atmosphere, the occasion, the importance of the match, a lot of factors take their toll when making decisions.

"One thing which struck me was that [Webb] didn't even think. It was like he'd already made his mind up when he came out for the second half that he was going to give something."

Conspiracyyyyyy, he's been reading RAWK too much, give him a ban.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
i know. and it's funny that 99% of the people, when asked when they first saw it if they thought it was a penalty, they say yes. webb obviously did too. there's no replay and shouldn't be so all the arguing is pointless. it meant nothing nothing in the end was wasn't some sort of turning point. that came when tevez stepped on the pitch.
To be honest my first reaction was that it wasn't a penalty - but that was from the elevated position of the camera - rather than at pitch-level where it is twice as hard to make the same call.

Skelter

Internet GYPO
They're just feeling sorry for themselves, they'd love to be in this position.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
you keep going on about Gomez "winning" the ball. He didn't.
Yes he did. He won the ball for his team. It went to Corluka after he touched it. Yes he took Carrick out but the force wasn't over the top, it was simply his momentum after winning the ball.

Not going to argue about this anymore because the only explanation you still think it's a penalty after seeing the replays is blind bias.

I can see why Webb gave it, as he doesn't have these benefits, but after seeing the replays it's clear as day he won the ball.

EDIT: Just noticed that now even Webb has said it shouldn't have been a pen, add to that Fergie (yes FERGIE!) said we were lucky to get it as well.

Smith's Cove

Agreed

And for all this "ah but it gave you momentum" talk, it completely misses the fact we HAD momentum, we were starting to lay siege on the Spurs goal, the crowd was up, Spurs were dropping deeper and deeper... you never know what would have happened, but the most ridiculous thing to come out of this is Harry Redknapp's claim Spurs would definitely have won the game had the penalty not been given. Prat
It's funny because I missed the game at the weekend due to being away with the missus. I was getting regular updates by telphone from my ten year old boy, who, bless him, can't give you the accuracy that you would expect from an adult when describing the play. Anyway, from what I had heard from the media and read in the papers I figured we must have been absolutely awful in the first half and barely got anywhere near their box, and that Spurs had had a bunch of chances and were well worth a two goal lead. Then in the second half, up until the penalty, we had stepped it up but were not making clear cut chances and Spurs were defending superbly. Well last night I got the chance to watch the entire game. Sure, Spurs had a few breaks in the first half but the vast majority of the play was in their half. Spurs scored with their second and third shots. After the second goal United were camped around the Spurs box for the rest of the half. In the second half, more of the same, Spurs occasionally getting forward and United pressing. All this stuff about the penalty being the key is a load of bollocks. Seriously watching that it was only a matter of time before United broke through.

Carl

It's funny because I missed the game at the weekend due to being away with the missus. I was getting regular updates by telphone from my ten year old boy, who, bless him, can't give you the accuracy that you would expect from an adult when describing the play. Anyway, from what I had heard from the media and read in the papers I figured we must have been absolutely awful in the first half and barely got anywhere near their box, and that Spurs had had a bunch of chances and were well worth a two goal lead. Then in the second half, up until the penalty, we had stepped it up but were not making clear cut chances and Spurs were defending superbly. Well last night I got the chance to watch the entire game. Sure, Spurs had a few breaks in the first half but the vast majority of the play was in their half. Spurs scored with their second and third shots. After the second goal United were camped around the Spurs box for the rest of the half. In the second half, more of the same, Spurs occasionally getting forward and United pressing. All this stuff about the penalty being the key is a load of bollocks. Seriously watching that it was only a matter of time before United broke through.
Indeed. We were all over them after their 2nd goal and absolutely hammered them from the whistle at the start of the 2nd half. A goal was definitely coming, hell Tevez should have delivered it just a few minutes before then pen when he went clean through.

GusHiddink

Alex Ferguson will not win another champions leagu
In the berbatov thread trying to push the deal thr
"If a Spurs player had gone down like that would it have been a penalty?"

"Did the crowd influence him?"

"Have you talked to Howard Webb yet?"

fecking hell, could Setanta possibly have laboured the point about that penalty any more than they did?

We won by three clear goals. fecking get over it!
You know what poggy i like you but why do this to yourself??

Clear non pen. If it gets given at the other end the sky falls in.

GusHiddink

Alex Ferguson will not win another champions leagu
In the berbatov thread trying to push the deal thr
You actually think I started this thread because I thought Webb had made the correct decision?

Did you even read the post you quoted?
I dont even know what point you are making then.... i really hope its not the it was only one goal and doesn't really mean spurs can say it was that important....

Makki

QUITTER
freguson y u rest the ginger prawn hes most import
Fair play to Webb. If the ref says he made a mistake, i think that should close the debate.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5hzmlK_5x1utgvh20J3eoibONY4kQ
Does it really? He says that, having viewed multiple replays, he realised he had made a mistake. But, from his angle, it was impossible to see the touch and change of direction of the ball from Gomes, so from what he saw he should've given a penalty whereas the replays may show otherwise.

We often forget that the ref only gets one chance at full speed while 76.000 people are screaming at him to do either this or that. feck's sake, I've been reffing tournaments with 10 year old's and found myself influenced by their fecking parents.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I dont even know what point you are making then.... i really hope its not the it was only one goal and doesn't really mean spurs can say it was that important....
Maybe I should have dumbed it down a bit, with you in mind?

The clue is in all the quotes in my original post and in this sentence:

could Setanta possibly have laboured the point about that penalty any more than they did?

Carl

:lol:

Gus gets a pretty rough time in these parts.

mtthommo

I thought it was a pen.
How many times do you see a freekick given when an outfield player gets the ball but cleans out other player while doing it?
As far as I saw it, Carrick got a touch to take it left (none of this bollocks about he'd lost control or taken it to wide) Gomes got a touch but wiped him out in doing so. Howard Webb has taken the decision to say it wasn't a pen just because that the simplest way for him to get out of the firing line. I've lost respect for him because I think he made the correct call.
Gotta say how much I've loved listening to the scousers moaning & whingeing on the phone-ins. Talk about desperation! After the semi-final every other call was from a Liverpool fan slagging Fergie for disrespecting the competition. Same with that horrible little bastard Alan Greene on 606 after the Spurs game. It's worrying just how much Liverpool bias has crept into Sky Sports and Setanta coverage. It was like a funeral wake in the studio after they drew 4-4 with the Arse. fecking loved it!!

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
Meanwhile, it has emerged Spurs midfielder Jermaine Jenas could face disciplinary action over his comments about Webb's decision.

The Football Association has given him seven days to respond to his remarks in which he said Webb had "crumbled under pressure".

Jenas was quoted as saying: "The atmosphere, the occasion, the importance of the match, a lot of factors take their toll when making decisions.

"One thing which struck me was that [Webb] didn't even think. It was like he'd already made his mind up when he came out for the second half that he was going to give something."

Conspiracyyyyyy, he's been reading RAWK too much, give him a ban.
The only people who crubled under pressure were the Spurs players.

Amazed how this keeps escaping people with all the furore over the penalty.