Just how good is this Liverpool team?

Marching

Somehow still supports Leeds
michael owen's mum said:
yeah he's out. no question. rafa won't tolerate any players who don't play for the team, which is why i don't see him going for an owen etc, a penalty box poacher who does little else. morientes will get 15 this season, crouch a dozen, garcia a dozen or more, and the likes of gerrard and riise will chip in with a few.
Some brave claims there.

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
Marching said:
Some brave claims there.
I think im gonna give up the predictions. With 14 to go on Crouch watch I think I should consult my brain more. He might get a few against the giants of the costa rican league on Thursday.

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
DJS said:
Hehehe...that Crouch 15 goals thing has certainly provided people here with a stick to beat you with, hasnt it?

(See what i did there?)
Very clever :) . Ye I think i got riled and said he would score 15. Truth is I would like the chap to score 15. He is a great lad. Needs a few breaks. The block by the defender against Middlesbro was class and denied him no. 2!!

Marching

Stick said:
I think im gonna give up the predictions. With 14 to go on Crouch watch I think I should consult my brain more. He might get a few against the giants of the costa rican league on Thursday.

:lol: I'd forgotten about them Stick.

michael owen's mum said:
not really. just realistic. i expect our top overall scorer to be a midfielder as it goes.

Realistic? More optimistic IMO.

Nate

Poached vegetables a speciality
We're clearly rubbish, you lot keep saying so.

michael owen's mum

Nate said:
We're clearly rubbish, you lot keep saying so.
true actually, i keep forgetting that we're actually shite. worst champions of europe ever, in fact. and only second in the league by default 'cos wenger didn't replace vieira and alex ferguson has started mainlining horse drugs.

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
michael owen's mum said:
true actually, i keep forgetting that we're actually shite. worst champions of europe ever, in fact. and only second in the league by default 'cos wenger didn't replace vieira and alex ferguson has started mainlining horse drugs.
Ultra defensive shit tactics. I hate watching us win!!

Looking Busy

Stick said:
Agreed. Our season started in July and with a lot of games to play yet with a relatively small squad we may struggle with fitness in a few months. That said rafa has shown hes not afraid to rotate players in the team which could bode well for us.
The problem is roate with who. Liverpool, like ourselves and Arsenal are suffering from a distict lack of quality in depth. Outside the first teams, which across the 3 sides are pretty comaprable none of us have a great deal of quality.

LWAR

It's the ultimate football atmosphere - Patrick Vi
Looking Busy said:
The problem is roate with who. Liverpool, like ourselves and Arsenal are suffering from a distict lack of quality in depth. Outside the first teams, which across the 3 sides are pretty comaprable none of us have a great deal of quality.
You're right, Chelsea will probably run away with it in January/February because that is usually the time when players get injured or fatigued. With our season starting in July we'll be even more vulnerable. Whatever Chelsea fans say about money not buying you success they can't argue that it buys you very healthy squad depth.

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
Looking Busy said:
In terms of squads and the depth of them Chelsea have upped the ante too much. They have a replacement for almost every position on their team and thats where we fall off in competition. Liverpool need more depth on the wings and fullback/centre back position as the cover for them is either too inexperienced or not good enough.

sutty

Has been dreaming of LFC winning the league since
Looking Busy said:

Its only the centre backs that are the issue in that respect IMO.

And Finnan maybe.

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
sutty said:

And Finnan maybe.
I dont believe Rafa will change the unit of Finnan, Carra and sami unless forced. They are doing superb at the moment.

michael owen's mum

Stick said:
I dont believe Rafa will change the unit of Finnan, Carra and sami unless forced. They are doing superb at the moment.
they can't play incessantly though. carra and particularly sami will need a rest at some point.

Looking Busy

sutty said:

And Finnan maybe.
You've also got the midfield of Gerrard and Alonso. Sissoko and Hamann can rotate but Rafa will have to go with 2 up front at some point to at least give Gerrard a rest. At the moment he's probably going to clock up 70 games this season.

Warrington

In need of a new contact after Carra let me down.
Looking Busy said:
You've also got the midfield of Gerrard and Alonso. Sissoko and Hamann can rotate but Rafa will have to go with 2 up front at some point to at least give Gerrard a rest. At the moment he's probably going to clock up 70 games this season.
Gerrard will get his rest when we buy a right winger in January.

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
Looking Busy said:
You need to get it sorted. Players are difficult to buy in January
I didnt rate him at Barca and when I saw him against United he wasn't great. He could do well for us but I would prefer a player like Joaquin or Pennant. Someone who can beat players and create chances.

Warrington

In need of a new contact after Carra let me down.
Someone mentioned Jermain Pennant over the weekend, but first choice appears to be Simao.

Looking Busy

Stick said:
I didnt rate him at Barca and when I saw him against United he wasn't great. He could do well for us but I would prefer a player like Joaquin or Pennant. Someone who can beat players and create chances.
Doubt if Betis would let Joaquin move mid-season more likely to be summer. Not sure about Pennant not seen him play much recently.

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
Warrington said:
Rafa says he doesn't want Joaquin which is depressing.
Rafa may know more about him than us. I do think he is a great player but there is a question about his consistency.

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
Looking Busy said:
Doubt if Betis would let Joaquin move mid-season more likely to be summer. Not sure about Pennant not seen him play much recently.
Betis are close to bottom of la liga. I think Joaquin may slap in a transfer request.

antihenry

CAF GRU Rep
Stick said:
Betis are close to bottom of la liga. I think Joaquin may slap in a transfer request.
I doubt Liverpool could afford Joaquin, and even if they did,he won't be able to help them in Europe,they'd be better off spending their money on less costly targets.
Have to admit they're on a very impressive run right now, rock solid defensively and finally found scoring which was a problem at the start of the season. However, they are yet to play Arsenal(twice), Chelsea(away),United(away),Bolton(twice),Tottenham(home),Newcastle(twice) and last but not least, Everton(twice).
They had a pretty easy run of opponents lately(Boro and City were the top of the bunch), and while they did very well, i'm yet to see them beat a top quality team in the league this season.
Kudos to Benitez,he seems to have adjusted to the PL style unlike last season, which was a learning process for him.

Davo

Looking Busy said:
eh?

We often play with 2 up....like on Saturday

Grace Slick FC

To the original question, begrudgingly number 2. They just look really solid at the back and in midfield but with Gerrard pulling the strings. I really hope you lot haven't got too much money to spend because if you get good quality defensive cover and another good winger and maybe a more humanoid striker you'll finish above us. Well, you probably will anyway barring injuries - bastards!

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
antihenry said:
I doubt Liverpool could afford Joaquin, and even if they did,he won't be able to help them in Europe,they'd be better off spending their money on less costly targets.
Have to admit they're on a very impressive run right now, rock solid defensively and finally found scoring which was a problem at the start of the season. However, they are yet to play Arsenal(twice), Chelsea(away),United(away),Bolton(twice),Tottenham(home),Newcastle(twice) and last but not least, Everton(twice).
They had a pretty easy run of opponents lately(Boro and City were the top of the bunch), and while they did very well, i'm yet to see them beat a top quality team in the league this season.
Kudos to Benitez,he seems to have adjusted to the PL style unlike last season, which was a learning process for him.
I think his buy out clause is quite high not sure what price they might ask for him. As for Europe well we could put gerrard on the right in europe with the spider and alonso in the centre.

Marching

Stick said:
Joaquin has been talking of leaving Betis....

He said:
"I've been told Newcastle have asked Luque for reports on me.

"That is good news as far as I'm concerned - I hope he told them nice things.

"It would be beautiful to have him as a team-mate and play alongside somebody like Owen who is one of the best strikers in the world."

alonso767

Calm down
could newcastle possibly afford to throw out another 15-20 million on a single player in january/this summer?

id be shocked if they had money left.

Looking Busy

alonso767 said:
could newcastle possibly afford to throw out another 15-20 million on a single player in january/this summer?

id be shocked if they had money left.
They made a loss this year but the previous couple of years they did quite well financially. I reckon they could stretch to one more transfer this season, but they would have to back it up by making Europe

Marching

Looking Busy said:
They made a loss this year but the previous couple of years they did quite well financially. I reckon they could stretch to one more transfer this season, but they would have to back it up by making Europe

Much to DJS's dismay they actually made a profit LB.

£4.5m which was half the previous years and due to transfer dealings as much as anything, but a profit nonetheless.

CB is a problem area for NUFC so I wouldn't rule out a signing for that area.