Just realised why I dislike LVG | Is the manager obliged to show passion on the bench?

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
And it has nothing to do with his philosophy, or anything to do with what's happening on the pitch.

His reaction - or non-reaction - to our goal. Not a glimmer of anything resembling passion - or a glimmer of anything.

So, do outward signs of passion matter?? Should I be judging him on that? Probably not, but am not impressed.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
If Van Gaal went mental for that goal people would've mocked him for celebrating against some Danish nobodies while the tie wasn't won.

Just like Moyes was mocked for celebrating taking the lead against Fulham.

Man can't win. ("That's the problem, hurr hurr.")

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
Reminds me a bit too much of Rafa Benitez, that.

Don't really see what managers think they're doing by acting stone-faced.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Why would he care? It's not his team. He is here only for one last hefty paycheck.

Livvie

Scout
I don't expect him to get hysterical, or go mental, Shane - a smile would have been enough.

Like he just did for the second....he's obviously got Red Cafe on his iPhone

I just couldn't understand how he could remain totally impassive when we got the equaliser. I wondered if he might be dead.

MrPooni

And it has nothing to do with his philosophy, or anything to do with what's happening on the pitch.

His reaction - or non-reaction - to our goal. Not a glimmer of anything resembling passion - or a glimmer of anything.

So, do outward signs of passion matter?? Should I be judging him on that? Probably not, but am not impressed.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
This is just silly now.

Jev

I love it when Giggs gets up on his feet and LVG stretches his neck to peak around him, annoyed. Get off your lazy ass, man.

Livvie

Scout
And you thought this was worthy of a thread? Get a grip.
I'm asking the question whether passion from a manager is important or not...I used LVG as the example, but it wasn't just the point of the thread

What an unnecessary thread.
It's a general question about how important it is for a manager to show passion - LVG has been notoriously impassive. Some managers go over the top. It's not a thread just to slag off LVG - maybe it's just his way, but I couldn't understand why he couldn't raise a smile when we equalised.

Can we expect passion from players if a manager shows none? Maybe we can. That's the question.

Sepukku

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I thought his reaction was normal. We were playing a team of cooks and barbers and we just equalized. Nothing to celebrate there, but he did enjoyed the last goals.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Still don't dislike him but want him gone regardless.

Successful

Owes the Caf £25 (With interests)
In a game like this he should not show any emotions at all unless it's a young player scoring a goal or someone he likes. If Herrera scores he would normally sit quiet while cheer when a guy like Smalling scores. Easy.

Green_Red

Yea, because either he wants to win some fecking thing or he doesnt. Remember Fergies delight at that first league win? But in fairness, every goal is probably just relief for LvG now. He couldny stand up today, we'd all bave seen his hard on..

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
It's a general question about how important it is for a manager to show passion - LVG has been notoriously impassive. Some managers go over the top. It's not a thread just to slag off LVG - maybe it's just his way, but I couldn't understand why he couldn't raise a smile when we equalised.

Can we expect passion from players if a manager shows none? Maybe we can. That's the question.
Tbh, I kind of admired those old Dynamo Kiev (etc) coaches who looked like corpses on the bench and never flinched, no matter what happened. I can't get my head round people damning him for not celebrating like a loon. SAF wasn't always that reactive on the bench tbf.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
He clapped when Memphis scored. Probably could afford to celebrate as the game was done then.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan

Let's invent another reason to beat him with!

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
I wonder what he writes after we score?

"goal - Memphis. Didn't strike it clean enough. 10 laps"

Livvie

Scout
We've been slagging off players all season for not showing passion. I prefer to see it from everyone connected to the club, not just the players - coaching staff and supporters included.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Come on, Livvie. The man is 69 and believed (now) in being calm on the sidelines. At least we can allow him that.

I for one have never felt LVG has lacked passion. You can tell that he's a very passionate man every time be speaks to the media.

Rory 7

He reminds me of a man with a heart condition who has been told by his doctor not to get too carried away, which is fair enough if that's the case. It's almost like he is 'minding' himself.

Livvie

Scout
Come on, Livvie. The man is 69 and believed (now) in being calm on the sidelines. At least we can allow him that.

I for one have never felt LVG has lacked passion. You can tell that he's a very passionate man every time be speaks to the media.
69???

OK, fair enough - I probably started the thread wrong, but forget LVG. The question stands - does a manager's attitude rub off on players? Can a passionate manager inspire players more than an impassive one.