Kai Havertz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mount's Goatieson

Supports
Chelsea
Look back in PL history. So many big signings and so many flops.

Sancho is a safe bet compared to Chelsea’s signings. If we add him and a CB we will have a much better transfer window.
How is Sancho a safe bet? Especially for how much he'd move and being so young. He was in the PL and didn't even get a look in before he moved the the Bundesliga. Players doing well in Dortmund and flopping hard in others leagues( esp PL and United) is a well documented fact. Kagawa, Mhiky, Nuri Sahin( Real and Liverpool) off the top of my head. Gundogan has been a squad player all his City career, Dembele can't stay fit for more than 3 games and verdict is still out on Pulisic. Auba is probably the only one who's moved out of BL from Dortmund and still been top notch.
Sancho is a very good plater for Dortmund but its not 100% assured success if he moves to United or anywhere else.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
I think Sancho is going to have a hell of a lot more pressure on his shoulders than any other transfer this summer. The kind of pressure that can really effect a player if they have a slow start. Everyone here just assumes that he'll come to the PL and be an instant superstar like M'bappe.

poleglass red

How is Sancho a safe bet? Especially for how much he'd move and being so young. He was in the PL and didn't even get a look in before he moved the the Bundesliga. Players doing well in Dortmund and flopping hard in others leagues( esp PL and United) is a well documented fact. Kagawa, Mhiky, Nuri Sahin( Real and Liverpool) off the top of my head. Gundogan has been a squad player all his City career, Dembele can't stay fit for more than 3 games and verdict is still out on Pulisic. Auba is probably the only one who's moved out of BL from Dortmund and still been top notch.
Sancho is a very good plater for Dortmund but its not 100% assured success if he moves to United or anywhere else.
in fairness to Sancho, he moved to Bundesliga when he was 17

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I don't think so, who does he displace from their attack in the central attacking midfield area? Mount? Massive upgrade.

If they're signing him at the expense of defensive upgrades then yes, but I highly doubt they're happy with their current defenders and will also be bringing in further reinforcements. Will be a force next season in what will likely be a battle for 3rd.
What's gonna be their front 6?
Pulisic, Werner, Ziyech
Havertz - Jorginho - Kante

Reserves: Abraham, Giroud, Willian, Hudson-Odoi, Mount, Kovacic, Gilmour, Loftus-Cheek, Barkley.

That's a lot of depth if they bring in Havertz.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Pulisic, Werner, Ziyech

Reserves: Abraham, Giroud, Willian, Hudson-Odoi, Mount, Kovacic, Gilmour, Loftus-Cheek, Barkley.

Willian will likely not be at Chelsea after this month. Giroud signed a 1 year extension, but he's heavily rumoured to leave too, while Barkley will likely be the odd man out if/when Havertz signs (also could be used as leverage to land Declan Rice). I also can't see a scenario where Lampard suddenly starts to view Jorginho as a starter, so it'll possibly be Kante in the middle with Mount as the other 8 (in the formation you posted).

Riz

Pulisic, Werner, Ziyech

Agree with your front 6 there.

I doubt Giroud, Willian, Barkley are in Lampard’s long term plans so will only be used sporadically if they’re even still there next season.

Abraham, Mount, CHO, Gilmour, RLC are all young and operate in different positions.

Id say in terms of squad composition that’s great coverage of all positions in the front 6 with a very young average age.

If they begin fixing their defence then they’re doing a very very good job and I don’t think we could fault their movements in the market but time well tell.

Davie Moyes

Where the hell are Bayern when you actually want them to snap up a German talent to stop him going to a rival? Or when you want them to hold on to Thiago to stop him going to Pool?

Of course I'm jealous. I'd love them both here.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Where the hell are Bayern when you actually want them to snap up a German talent to stop him going to a rival? Or when you want them to hold on to Thiago to stop him going to Pool?

Of course I'm jealous. I'd love them both here.
They just payed big money for sane.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Willian will likely not be at Chelsea after this month. Giroud signed a 1 year extension, but he's heavily rumoured to leave too, while Barkley will likely be the odd man out if/when Havertz signs (also could be used as leverage to land Declan Rice). I also can't see a scenario where Lampard suddenly starts to view Jorginho as a starter, so it'll possibly be Kante in the middle with Mount as the other 8 (in the formation you posted).
Giroud will still be at Chelsea next season, he is currently Chelsea's best CF, he by all accounts doesn't want to leave London and Chelsea would only have Abraham and Werner if he left as surely Batsh*t is going.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
No-one is ever a 100% safe bet. I think you are being too simplistic about Dortmund players though. Almost everyone you list came up under Klopp, who is again showing at Liverpool that he can build the kind of system in which OK players can look great. (Not saying his Liverpool team is crap, but considered player by player, you wouldn't have expected them to perform like they do.) In retrospect, I think that's the context in which these Dortmund players should be considered. Dortmund's subsequent coaches have been different though.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Werner, Ziech and Havertz. I’d be buzzing if I were a Chelsea fan.
What a summer of signings. Let's see if these talents are all they're made out to be. But on paper that's a dream summer

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
We can't get every top player. He isn't what we need.

Never understand it when our fanbase demands every elite player

Pagh Wraith

Pulisic, Werner, Ziyech

There is no Chelsea midfield without Kovačić. He should be the first name on the team sheet. Also Werner is not a number nine and will play out wide.

So the most logical front three will be Werner, Giroud/Abraham (or Havertz if they get him), Pulisic. Or a 4-2-3-1 with Giroud/Abraham ahead of Werner - Mount - Pulisic. Ziyech will be a good squad option as well.

With regards to transfers, they need a goalkeeper more than anything. If there is even the slightest bit of truth in the Oblak rumours, they should move heaven and earth and pay every silly amount Atletico is asking for. Much more important than any of Werner, Ziyech or Havertz.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Look back in PL history. So many big signings and so many flops.

Sancho is a safe bet compared to Chelsea’s signings. If we add him and a CB we will have a much better transfer window.
Sancho may be English but he hasn't played a minute in the PL yet.

That said there's never a 100% safe bet, I think Werner may need time to adapt (to deep blocks especially) but I'm quite confident Ziyech will hit the ground running, he's already proved himself against not only PL sides but Europe's elite aswell.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
There is no Chelsea midfield without Kovačić. He should be the first name on the team sheet. Also Werner is not a number nine and will play out wide.

So the most logical front three will be Werner, Giroud/Abraham (or Havertz if they get him), Pulisic. Or a 4-2-3-1 with Giroud/Abraham ahead of Werner - Mount - Pulisic. Ziyech will be a good squad option as well.

With regards to transfers, they need a goalkeeper more than anything. If there is even the slightest bit of truth in the Oblak rumours, they should move heaven and earth and pay every silly amount Atletico is asking for. Much more important than any of Werner, Ziyech or Havertz.
Gotta say I'd be shocked if Ziyech isn't playing week in week out. He'll be the key for Chelsea breaking down low blocks in my opinion - he definitely offers a unique skillset among the (likely) squad next year. Also, we have no one else in the team who can even sniff his delivery on set pieces (something I personally am very excited about; we've been generally crap on set play crosses since Mata left).

It's all speculation at this point but I could see Chelsea playing an odd sort of hybrid system - Werner a bit more withdrawn left of centre, Pulisic potentially with the highest average position in the team pushing the defense back and creating a pocket of space for Werner, and Havertz pushing forward from the right sided 8 role to contest long balls from the back / goal kicks (possibly with Ziyech tucking into midfield to contest second balls alongside Werner).

Obviously this is all speculation but what's most exciting for me personally is the number of adaptable players we're bringing in - being able to play different roles minute to minute or week over week is a huge advantage as long as Lampard can correctly identify which tactical solutions are best for a given opponent. This season has been up and down from that respect but I do think Lampard has shown an admirable amount of flexibility in tailoring his team and approach to opponents.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
If Havertz gets done, window will probably end with Rice and Tagliafico. Chilwell i thought would happen but Rodgers seems to have made it clear hes not for sale.

Was talk earlier from Matt Law of a keeper maybe coming in even if Kepa stays. Oblak is but a pipedream though. My money would be on Nick Pope or Andre Onana - in that scenario

Ziyech
Werner
Havertz
Rice (dependant on fee)
Tagliafico

Would be a very good summer on paper. when you ask why have club X not gone in for him etc, it could very well be the case he gave Lampard or the club the 'ok' weeks back. And other clubs have been told that

Web of Bissaka

I think Sancho is going to have a hell of a lot more pressure on his shoulders than any other transfer this summer. The kind of pressure that can really effect a player if they have a slow start. Everyone here just assumes that he'll come to the PL and be an instant superstar like M'bappe.
This is the one thing I'm afraid of.
It's not certain he'll be an instant success.

The expectations are already over the top by United fans.

Remember Pogba guys?

Wouldn't surprise me at all if the knives are out immediately at the first months. Happened to our most recent signings.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?

Ziyech a squad option? :lol:

Web of Bissaka

:nervous: Is it confirm Havertz joining Chelsea?

Seriously though, just how is Lampard going to field them all together and give them enough games to be happy?
Too many players joining.

Oh well, I'm not complaining if that would disrupt their squad morale as more and more egos making problems, then that's great.

Paolo Di Canio

"we have to realise it's a doggy dog market"
If Havertz gets done, window will probably end with Rice and Tagliafico. Chilwell i thought would happen but Rodgers seems to have made it clear hes not for sale.

Was talk earlier from Matt Law of a keeper maybe coming in even if Kepa stays. Oblak is but a pipedream though. My money would be on Nick Pope or Andre Onana - in that scenario

Ziyech
Werner
Havertz
Rice (dependant on fee)
Tagliafico

Would be a very good summer on paper.
Pretty much a brand new front line

I knew Chelseas youth project was only based on circumstance then strategy

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Oh good I wondered how long before the Chelsea fans would say Havertz will be better than Sancho

I guess it's a nice change of pace from a few months ago when they also tried to convince us he'd sign for them over us because he supported them when he was in nappies goes to figure now their opinion is he'll struggle

Nero

Oh good I wondered how long before the Chelsea fans would say Havertz will be better than Sancho

I guess it's a nice change of pace from a few months ago when they also tried to convince us he'd sign for them over us because he supported them when he was in nappies goes to figure now their opinion is he'll struggle
Don't forget, BFFs with Abraham and Hudson-Odoi. Another one of their arguments trying to convince themselves.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea

I have it on good authority that his first word was "CELERY" so make of that what you will...

Regardless, this dick measuring contest is silly. If Havertz goes to Chelsea and Sancho goes to United, both would be in great positions to succeed and anyone claiming to know whether one will be better than the other at this stage is talking out of their arse.

i wonder whom they are kicking out of loftus cheek, jorginho, barkley, and kante
Reckon it'll be Jorginho and Barkley gone unless someone comes in with a ludicrous offer for Kante. Even then Jorginho and Barkley would likely leave and a new dedicated 6 brought in.

Orc

Supports
Chelsea
None of our youth/youngsters will be negatively affected by these signings, really. Maybe CHO if he doesn't shape up soon. James and Mount are two of our most important players. Tammy will get plenty of games with Giroud a year older.

cyberman

With Mason behind him, we wont have that pressure. Not with the frontline we have now.

Sancho was the greatest thing since God a few months ago, why the sudden air of gloom?

Pagh Wraith

Ziyech a squad option? :lol:
He'll be in rotation I assume. Not exactly easy to find a place for him in a 4-3-3 as I don't see him starting over Pulisic. They could move Werner (who will be starting week in, week out) upfront but again, that really isn't his position.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
With Mason behind him, we wont have that pressure. Not with the frontline we have now.

Sancho was the greatest thing since God a few months ago, why the sudden air of gloom?
Because he's signing for us obviously

Orc

Supports
Chelsea

No gloom. I think he'll be a beast if he settles quickly. I just don't think the assumption that it's a 100% guarentee he will do so is wise.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
No gloom. I think he'll be a beast if he settles quickly. I just don't think the assumption that it's a 100% guarentee he will do so is wise.
Yeah not trying to pile on or anything as a WUMming oppo but I think Bruno's instant impact may have moved the goalposts for some on here - he's hit the ground running in a way that is unprecedented and should not be expected to be the norm. Especially given the abbreviated pre-season, I suspect most new signings will take time to bed in (and this is why I think talk of Chelsea competing for the league next year is extremely premature).

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
He'll be in rotation I assume. Not exactly easy to find a place for him in a 4-3-3 as I don't see him starting over Pulisic. They could move Werner (who will be starting week in, week out) upfront but again, that really isn't his position.
Havertz can play upfront, out wide or in center midfield. Im not convinced you have anyone who will bench ziyech. I will not be surprised if he forced you to play 4-2-3-1

Yeah not trying to pile on or anything as a WUMming oppo but I think Bruno's instant impact may have moved the goalposts for some on here - he's hit the ground running in a way that is unprecedented and should not be expected to be the norm. Especially given the abbreviated pre-season, I suspect most new signings will take time to bed in (and this is why I think talk of Chelsea competing for the league next year is extremely premature).
The thing is chelsea wont need any of them to walk into the first XI right way if they take their time to settle Fabinho style. The existing team structure and personnel is already quite good

Pagh Wraith

Havertz can play upfront, out wide or in center midfield. Im not convinced you have anyone who will bench ziyech. I will not be surprised if he forced you to play 4-2-3-1
4-2-3-1 makes sense, at the expense of Mount who seems to be one of Lampards favourites. Don't get me wrong, Ziyech looks a very good player and his metrics have been excellent in Holland and good (although lower) in Europe and he'll be a fantastic addition for them. But as mentioned above, with Kepa in goal they won't be challenging for anything so that remains their most pressing matter for me.

Orc

Supports
Chelsea
Arsenal fans all assumed when they spunked £72m on Pepe that he would instantly light up the league and make them challengers. It has taken him pretty much the entire season to settle.

That's all I'm saying with Sancho. Not every player is Bruno Fernandes or VVD who will come to their new team and immedietly transform them.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Arsenal fans all assumed when they spunked £72m on Pepe that he would instantly light up the league and make them challengers. It has taken him pretty much the entire season to settle.

That's all I'm saying with Sancho. Not every player is Bruno Fernandes or VVD who will come to their new team and immedietly transform them.
Comparing a player as established as Sancho, who had played in a better league and had many brilliant Champions League matches, is not really the same as Pepe.

I agree we shouldn't assume but there will be a huge expectation on Sancho to deliver from day one. Not just from fans (neutrals I mean) but also the media. He's going to be the hero or the first target on the criticism dart board.
(rightly or wrongly).

3KDré

I think there will be less pressure on Sancho than there would have been on Bruno or Pogba for example. Sancho is coming into a team that already has multiple threats, which will take some burden off him. He's more the cherry on top of the cake than the cake itself.

We've seen Pogba be weighed down because he was the only creative player in the team. Even Bruno has showed frustration in games he didn't have as much quality around him as he would have liked.

It may take him some time to adjust, I agree, but I think there will be less scrutiny on him and more time allowed for him to do that if we are playing well as a team anyway. Even if he doesn't perform well Martial, Rashford, Bruno, Greenwood and Pogba I think will make up for it.

Last edited:
4-2-3-1 makes sense, at the expense of Mount who seems to be one of Lampards favourites. Don't get me wrong, Ziyech looks a very good player and his metrics have been excellent in Holland and good (although lower) in Europe and he'll be a fantastic addition for them. But as mentioned above, with Kepa in goal they won't be challenging for anything so that remains their most pressing matter for me.
It shouldn't be. Onanna would be a reasonably priced upgrade/competition. Pope to.

As for the likes of Mount. One cant worry for them. Going by this season's evidence, Lampard is a manager who clearly believes in and likes rotation. I suspect every member of his squad that he desires to keep will get plenty of minutes next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.