Kalvin Phillips

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
I hope City sign him. He’s a massive downgrade on Rodri and Fernandinho. Will be a drop in quality of the midfield if he plays.

SamoyedSam

Supports
Notts County
He's certainly not a downgrade on the current Fernandinho. His legs have finally gone. He's looked a liability of late.

Rolaholic

Hope they go after him and leave De Jong alone

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
City would make way more sense for him than we would. Partly because they're obviously a more attractive proposition at the moment but mostly because it would mean so much less hassle for him every time he goes home to Leeds.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Good transfer for City as a replacement for Fernandinho. Rodri can't play every match and there are even some situations where you might prefer a more mobile tackler like Phillips. He would have helped them a lot in the CL final last year for example, when Rodri was out of form, they ended up playing Gundogan as the 6, and they got killed in space by Chelsea's quick attackers.

Phillips is a good player and he has experience as the 6 in an attack-minded, possession-oriented 4-3-3. Finding players who have actually done a similar job to what you envision them doing for your club is an underrated part of transfers.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I actually think he would be excellent for City. He worked quite well alongside Rice for England in what people thought was far too defensive (it was) but the attacking talent of England made up for it. City have far more attacking talent and I think that in Europe a base of Rodri and Phillips with a a quartet in front of them including any of KDB/Silva/Foden/Mahrez/Sterling/Haaland/Jesus etc. would be bloody hard to beat.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
I think he'll be class for them. And we'll have a lot of people forget they ridiculed him and come November they'll be quoting Luckhurst's "If Phillips didn't want to join United, they wouldn't be pursuing a deal" as some kind of stick to beat the club with and claim we've fecked up by not getting him.

Bestie07

Liverpool now. City fans loathe Liverpool.
It's more of a competitive rivalry though like we had with Newcastle when we were both competing for the same honors.

Off the top of my head, United have fierce rivalries with Liverpool, City and Leeds. Then we also have what I believe are competitive rivalries with Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs due to us often competing for same honors/league positions over the last couple of decades. On top of that we are also hated by random clubs like Stoke.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Rodwell, Delph, Phillips

He is a standard 6 or 7 out of 10 player. Nothing special.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I actually think he would be excellent for City. He worked quite well alongside Rice for England in what people thought was far too defensive (it was) but the attacking talent of England made up for it. City have far more attacking talent and I think that in Europe a base of Rodri and Phillips with a a quartet in front of them including any of KDB/Silva/Foden/Mahrez/Sterling/Haaland/Jesus etc. would be bloody hard to beat.
Like someone like Ake I don't see where he gets game. Good squad/back up signing for City but for him I think his career goes backwards

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
Rodwell, Delph, Phillips

He is a standard 6 or 7 out of 10 player. Nothing special.
I have no strong opinions on Phillips because I haven’t watched a lot of Leeds, but haven’t Liverpool been built on that kind of steady engine midfield for years now?

CM

I get they need to fulfil the homegrown quota but some of the signings City have made in recent years really makes it look as though they're taking their foot off the gas with recruitment.

Ake, Grealish, Phillips... I have a bad feeling Liverpool are going to pull away.

James35

With all the midfielders we are linked with I’m still resigned to the fact that Fred and McTominay will play as much next season as they have this.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Leeds: we hate Manchester, war of the roses etc.

Also Leeds: city? Yeah, go on. And no need to spit either.

Abraxas

He's not good enough to make a big impact at City. Just adds a bit of depth with Fernandinho getting old and allowing a more robust option in midfield with Rodri.

Josep Dowling

Seems incredibly underrated on here. Is it because he plays for Leeds? Head and shoulders above McFred.

Bojan Djordjic

Pep probably buying him to force us into desperately spending our entire transfer kitty on Ricey.

Seems incredibly underrated on here. Is it because he plays for Leeds? Head and shoulders above McFred.
Not sure that would be the bar we're attempting to reach in fairness.

Trequarista10

He'd be a decent signing for City as a backup DM who Pep will probably also use as a CB or inverted full back on occasion too. Would probably cost a bomb for what would be a squad player but City aren't bothered about that. Might not be the best move for Phillips' career though, he'd be better off going to somewhere like Arsenal or Spurs where he'd have a good chance of being first choice.

Rolaholic

He's not good enough to make a big impact at City. Just adds a bit of depth with Fernandinho getting old and allowing a more robust option in midfield with Rodri.
Fernandinho is leaving this summer so he'd be a direct replacement

copen1945

I hope they don't get him on a reasonable transfer fee. A little Man City tax on top of the English inflation should be just the ticket on this deal.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
I hope they don't get him on a reasonable transfer fee. A little Man City tax on top of the English inflation should be just the ticket on this deal.
For a current England International with 2 year contract left, 50m sounds "reasonable" with the english tax included.

LuckyScout78

In a 433 as the deep DCM player. If not Aurélien Tchouaméni , Manuel Locatelli.
I think i would be satisfy with Kalvin Phillips. But i m so sure about his last long time injury. Keep him out most of last leason.

But injury free. He could be a DCM option.

Status
Not open for further replies.