Kashmir

Patrick08

Given india's past record, I would not be surprised that people were being killed.

Unless you have some proof that KMS are not reliable, I will be trusting them as the indian media hasn't been reliable at all in the past and the indian army not caring about the life of kashmiris ties in with the past.

I also see that you ignored the part where it said that the police has responded with tear gas and pellets in the video and the articles.
I think the world knows better who is more reliable.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
All it takes is 500dollars to write and plant such delusional poor lies and spread misinformation in Information warfare.

Everyone got an answer to divider in chief hogwash of an articles.
Are you Trump?

MJJ

All it takes is 500dollars to write and plant such delusional poor lies and spread misinformation in Information warfare.

Everyone got an answer to divider in chief hogwash of an article.
:lol: and who is paying bbc and reuters these 500 dollars?

Not sure what you modi supporters are expecting in terms of media coverage given the curfew, media blackout and armed force presence.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
:lol: and who is paying bbc and reuters these 500 dollars?

Not sure what you modi supporters are expecting in terms of media coverage given the curfew, media blackout and armed force presence.
https://www.whois.com/whois/kmsnews.org
namedserver: n1.comsats.net.pk

Yeah, a Pakistani website is your accurate source of information. So are you gullible, or malicious? I think the latter.

milemuncher777

formerly kid777
Funny seeing bhakts on social media accusing BBC and other mainstream news channels of spreading misinformation and taking bribes, while all they do every night is consume propaganda from govt funded Godi media(Republic,Zee, News18 etc).

MJJ

https://www.whois.com/whois/kmsnews.org
namedserver: n1.comsats.net.pk

Yeah, a Pakistani website is your accurate source of information. So are you gullible, or malicious? I think the latter.
Did you miss the ones where the same thing was reported in Reuters and BBC? So step you gullible or malicious? I think the former since you support modi.

Also just to discount a website because it is registered in Pak, the hate is strong :lol:. Where else would a Kashmiri register a website given indias tactics of media black outs?

Jinn

I'm ignorant. Enlighten me. What is this special status? and what makes Kashmir so special?

MJJ

So far, 300 political leaders, many campaigning for Kashmir's secession from India have been detained, a police officer said.

Two local leaders from the National Conference, a major regional party, also said that at least 100 politicians – including former state ministers and legislators – had been detained. They did not want to be named because of the sensitivity of the information
Democracy in action folks.

https://www.msn.com/en-xl/asia/top-...ined-to-quell-protests-over-status/ar-AAFvUwm

I'm ignorant. Enlighten me. What is this special status? and what makes Kashmir so special?
How significant is Article 370?
The article allowed the state a certain amount of autonomy - its own constitution, a separate flag and freedom to make laws. Foreign affairs, defence and communications remained the preserve of the central government.

As a result, Jammu and Kashmir could make its own rules relating to permanent residency, ownership of property and fundamental rights. It could also bar Indians from outside the state from purchasing property or settling there.

The constitutional provision has underpinned India's often fraught relationship with Kashmir, the only Muslim-majority region to join India at partition.

Why did the government do it?
Prime Minister Narendra Modi and the Hindu nationalist Bharatiya Janata Party had long opposed Article 370 and revoking it was in the party's 2019 election manifesto.

They argued it needed to be scrapped to integrate Kashmir and put it on the same footing as the rest of India. After returning to power with a massive mandate in the April-May general elections, the government lost no time in acting on its pledge.

Critics of Monday's move are linking it to the economic slowdown that India is currently facing - they say it provides a much-needed diversion for the government.

Image copyrightGETTY IMAGES
Image captionIndia has had a fraught relationship with Kashmir for decades
Many Kashmiris believe that the BJP ultimately wants to change the demographic character of the Muslim-majority region by allowing non-Kashmiris to buy land there.

Jinn

Democracy in action folks.

https://www.msn.com/en-xl/asia/top-...ined-to-quell-protests-over-status/ar-AAFvUwm

How significant is Article 370?
The article allowed the state a certain amount of autonomy - its own constitution, a separate flag and freedom to make laws. Foreign affairs, defence and communications remained the preserve of the central government.

As a result, Jammu and Kashmir could make its own rules relating to permanent residency, ownership of property and fundamental rights. It could also bar Indians from outside the state from purchasing property or settling there.

The constitutional provision has underpinned India's often fraught relationship with Kashmir, the only Muslim-majority region to join India at partition.

Why did the government do it?
Prime Minister Narendra Modi and the Hindu nationalist Bharatiya Janata Party had long opposed Article 370 and revoking it was in the party's 2019 election manifesto.

They argued it needed to be scrapped to integrate Kashmir and put it on the same footing as the rest of India. After returning to power with a massive mandate in the April-May general elections, the government lost no time in acting on its pledge.

Critics of Monday's move are linking it to the economic slowdown that India is currently facing - they say it provides a much-needed diversion for the government.

Image copyrightGETTY IMAGES
Image captionIndia has had a fraught relationship with Kashmir for decades
Many Kashmiris believe that the BJP ultimately wants to change the demographic character of the Muslim-majority region by allowing non-Kashmiris to buy land there.
So, both Pakistan and India claim the land(Kashmir). Who does it belong to originally and how did the situation escalate to the level that wars have been fought over it?

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
Did you miss the ones where the same thing was reported in Reuters and BBC? So step you gullible or malicious? I think the former since you support modi.

Also just to discount a website because it is registered in Pak, the hate is strong :lol:. Where else would a Kashmiri register a website given indias tactics of media black outs?
Don't be disingenous. Reuters and BBC reported about the clampdown, no one is disputing that. You're coming up with figures of people killed sourced from dubious websites. And its so stupid for Pakistanis to be involved in Indian affairs when we have an overactive left wing who's already doing everything they can to question the government.

MJJ

Don't be disingenous. Reuters and BBC reported about the clampdown, no one is disputing that. You're coming up with figures of people killed sourced from dubious websites. And its so stupid for Pakistanis to be involved in Indian affairs when we have an overactive left wing who's already doing everything they can to question the government.
They also reported at least 11 people injured not just the clampdown which you are reading past.

Except 1) Kashmir is not an India issue and 2) I doubt it given the ease with which modi got elected.

I am assuming you missed the whole marry a kashmiri celebrations going on as well?

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
there was a comment in a "modi 2024" whatsapp group saying that this misogyny is bad and reflects badly on us (who have daughters/mothers too etc). anyway just above and below it were multiple posts about property prices and land value in dal lake etc, which is another very very common reaction that nobody seems to have bothered to report.

MJJ

there was a comment in a "modi 2024" whatsapp group saying that this misogyny is bad and reflects badly on us (who have daughters/mothers too etc). anyway just above and below it were multiple posts about property prices and land value in dal lake etc, which is another very very common reaction that nobody seems to have bothered to report.
It's insane, but we still have a few who talk about "economic development". The motivation behind removing the article is also quite clear as apparently there are a few other locations which had legislation similar to kashmir which weren't remove.

There was a girl who shared a tweet about what's it like in Kashmir right now and the bakhts attacked her enforce. She turned her account to private as was getting death threats.

midnightmare

Hmmm. It’s quite funny to see how triggered the Pakistanis are. Wish I could head to the Balochistan thread and see how active they are there...

Pakistan PM threatening nuclear war (some poster a few pages back also hinted darkly that a nuclear war would result. CBA checking who), threatening “another Pulwama” etc... It’s almost (almost) like Pakistanis are brainwashed into focusing solely on Kashmir (not Ladakh or Jammu of course) as a raison d’etre...

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
I wish the Pakistanis would chill out. Article 370 has been removed, but Kashmir can easily make all the restrictions on land purchase and residence by outsiders as soon as the assembly gets restored. Just for your reference the Indian state of Andra Pradesh just reserved 75% of all jobs in the state for local residents and AP isn't a secessionist state. There's going to be a domicile requirement for purchase of land: https://www.timesnownews.com/india/...icile-requirement-for-purchase-of-land/465051

MJJ

I wish the Pakistanis would chill out. Article 370 has been removed, but Kashmir can easily make all the restrictions on land purchase and residence by outsiders as soon as the assembly gets restored. Just for your reference the Indian state of Andra Pradesh just reserved 75% of all jobs in the state for local residents and AP isn't a secessionist state. There's going to be a domicile requirement for purchase of land: https://www.timesnownews.com/india/...icile-requirement-for-purchase-of-land/465051
Yeah if only those pesky Pakistanis would be quiet let india carry out human right violations in peace.

• Media black out? Check
  • Curfew? Check
  • Firing at protestors? Check
  • Misogynistic statements about kashmiris? Check
  • Discriminatory behaviour against kashmiris? Check
  • Locking up 300 people including kashmiri politicians? Check
  • Kashmiris saying they don't have food and fear becoming another Palestine? Check
Why are these people not seeing the economic development.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-a...our-livelihood-is-affected-nobody-is-at-peace

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-a...-kashmir-protests-over-loss-of-special-status

Seriously, modi bakhts have no conscience or morals.

SaboTaj

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Assuming the assembly is restored:
The assembly is no longer equal to a state assembly since J&K is now a Union Territory. The SC has ruled in the cases involving the current Delhi govt that in effect the Home Ministry can overrule or ignore anything the assembly of a UT says.
Hence, it will be Amit Shah, not some assembly, making this decision.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Yeah, that doesn't explain much. All I got from that article was that after independence, that piece of land was split from India. I mean that's only 70 years ago.
I'll do some more reading.
Friend of mine posted these recommendations on Facebook, take your pick:

1. Schofield, Victoria - Kashmir in Conflict: India, Pakistan and the Unending War (2010)

2. Ganguly, Sumit - The Crisis in Kashmir: Portents of war, hopes of peace (1997)

3. Bose, Sumatra ‘Kashmir: Sources of Conflict, Dimensions of Peace’, Economic and Political Weekly, No 13, March 27, 1999

4. Das, Suranjan, Kashmir and Sind (2001)

5. Rai, Mridu - Hindu Rulers, Muslim Subjects: Islam, Rights, and the History of Kashmir (2004).

6. Hewitt, Vernon Marston - Reclaiming the past?: The search for political and cultural unity in contemporary Jammu and Kashmir (1995)

7. Puri, Balraj - Kashmir: Towards Insurgency (1993)

8. Lamb, Alistair - Kashmir: A disputed legacy, 1846-1990 (1991)

9. Newberg, Paula R. - Double Betrayal: Repression and insurgency in Kashmir (1995)

10. Thomas, Raju G. C. (ed.) - Perspectives on Kashmir: The roots of conflict in South Asia (1992) [Chapter by Varshney]

11. Widmalm, Sten - ‘The rise and fall of democracy in Jammu and Kashmir, 1975-89’, in Amrita Basu and Atul Kohli (eds), Community conflicts and the state in India
(1998)

12. Articles on Kashmir in Frontline, 19 November 1993

13. Frontline, 2nd March 2001 pp. 42-46 [see pieces by Aijaz Ahmad and Balraj Puri]

14. Evans, Alexander - 'A departure from history: Kashmiri Pandits, 1990-2001', Contemporary South Asia, Volume 11, 2002 - Issue 1 (2010)
I’ve only read no. 5 which is great but only takes the history up to partition.

MJJ

It's like an irony overload in here these days. When it comes to Kashmir, every Pakistani suddenly overtakes Mother Teresa as a peace ambassador.

If it's a Human Rights issue, let UN take the lead.
:lol: are you seriously annoyed that people are pointing out human rights violation? I love this mentality. Let us abuse a population and please only positive comments. Does your Muslim hate bypass what little empathy you have.

I see you have gone quiet after the first day economic development too.

P.s what's ironic is you being an Indian and quoting mother Teresa as a peace icon.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
It's like an irony overload in here these days. When it comes to Kashmir, every Pakistani suddenly overtakes Mother Teresa as a peace ambassador.

If it's a Human Rights issue, let UN take the lead.

If there are human rights issue whats the harm in anyone reporting it? Should the reporters be filtered to be completely unbiased? Half the human rights issues would never get any attention then.

RedTiger

Half mast
Data doesn’t support Amit Shah’s claim that Article 370 deprived J&K of development

Despite being ruled by BJP for the longest time, Hindi belt states lag far behind Jammu & Kashmir on education and various other indicators.

https://theprint.in/opinion/data-do...rticle-370-deprived-jk-of-development/273302/

Also

Honestly mate I don't know what you're talking about, some of those states have some really nice looking statues.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
:lol: are you seriously annoyed that people are pointing out human rights violation? I love this mentality. Let us abuse a population and please only positive comments. Does your Muslim hate bypass what little empathy you have.

P.s what's ironic is you being an Indian and quoting mother Teresa as a peace icon.
I don't have any Muslim hate irrespective of my views on Kashmir. I wonder why you'd even bring that as a issue right now!

Pakistan seems to be the only country having OTT reaction on HR violations, rest of the world seems muted. Not saying it's all optimal there now, but the reaction do are way OTT.

Last edited:

MJJ

I don't have any Muslim hate irrespective of my views on Kashmir. I wonder why you'd even bring that as a issue right now!

Pakistan seems to be the only country having OTT reaction on HR violations, rest of the world seems muted. Not saying it's all optimal there now, but the reaction do are way OTT.
Which reaction is OTT pillow? The curfew and media blackout has now being going on for five days. The police has started shooting at the protestors while bakhts are tripping over themselves at the thought of kashmiri women.

Please tell me which one of the above you find acceptable? In fact its shocking more Indians aren't protesting against modi.

As for UN, india has always refused outside interference saying it's a bilateral issue. Again if you guys want to resolve this, why not let UN decide? You guys are happy at killing kashmiris slowly until you get kashmir.

As for the first sentence that's the strong impression I get given your views here, in the uighar thread and over the years.

Patrick08

Yeah if only those pesky Pakistanis would be quiet let india carry out human right violations in peace.

• Media black out? Check
  • Curfew? Check
  • Firing at protestors? Check
  • Misogynistic statements about kashmiris? Check
  • Discriminatory behaviour against kashmiris? Check
  • Locking up 300 people including kashmiri politicians? Check
  • Kashmiris saying they don't have food and fear becoming another Palestine? Check
Why are these people not seeing the economic development.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-a...our-livelihood-is-affected-nobody-is-at-peace

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-a...-kashmir-protests-over-loss-of-special-status

Seriously, modi bakhts have no conscience or morals.
No one gives a shit about all the propagandist lies Hypocrit pakistanis cry about to the world regarding Kashmir. Check.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Which reaction is OTT pillow? The curfew and media blackout has now being going on for five days. The police has started shooting at the protestors while bakhts are tripping over themselves at the thought of kashmiri women.

Please tell me which one of the above you find acceptable? In fact its shocking more Indians aren't protesting against modi.

As for UN, india has always refused outside interference saying it's a bilateral issue. Again if you guys want to resolve this, why not let UN decide? You guys are happy at killing kashmiris slowly until you get kashmir.

As for the first sentence that's the strong impression I get given your views here, in the uighar thread and over the years.
Kashmir is more than a Hindu vs Muslim issue. Perhaps it originated as such, but it's now more complex than that. There is a big chunk of population that is against Modi, but considering not many protest this says a lot about his not being just a Hindutva agenda and more of a Indian priority. We believe that Art 370 was a mistake that just rationalizes the ambiguity that results in Kashmir being a conflict zone for about 70 years now. This is a step in right direction, and yes, I do believe that the current measures though radical are lesser in evil than the situation without them that would just result in widespread chaos. Any sensible person could see the results of this move and without proactive protective measures, this would be a disaster.

Pakistan (and Pakistanis) should just stop shit stirring and leave it to India to resolve this and UN if there are HR violations. The issue is now domestic.

And as for me being a Muslim hater, I don' believe I have anything to prove to you or anyone in an Internet forum of my credentials. Think what you want.

SaboTaj

Data doesn’t support Amit Shah’s claim that Article 370 deprived J&K of development

Despite being ruled by BJP for the longest time, Hindi belt states lag far behind Jammu & Kashmir on education and various other indicators.

https://theprint.in/opinion/data-do...rticle-370-deprived-jk-of-development/273302/

Also

Even though i agree with the point that the given dataset is trying to make, but a small issue with the data itself is that it covers all the regions of J&K and isn’t just Kashmir specific.