Keane: Fergie has massive ego

Drifter

American
Roy Keane believes Sir Alex Ferguson is still trying to exert "control and power" at Manchester Utd despite retiring as manager in the summer.

The Irishman, who was Ferguson's midfield driving force in a glorious spell for the club between 1993 and 2005, says the Scot has a "massive ego" and rated his former boss at Nottingham
Forest, Brian Clough, as the best manager he had worked with.

United have endured a difficult start to life under Ferguson's successor David Moyes, having lost three Barclays Premier League games at Old Trafford already this season to sit ninth in the table.

Keane said of Ferguson, now a director at United: "Everything is about control and power. He's still striving for it now even though he's not manager. There's massive ego involved in that."

Keane, who left United in 2005 after a fall-out with Ferguson, was speaking in an ITV4 documentary called 'Keane and Vieira: The Best of Enemies' which airs on Tuesday night concerning his rivalry with former Arsenal captain Patrick Vieira.

He said that his relationship with the former United boss is now "non existent".

The Irishman even took issue with Ferguson praising him in his recently released autobiography for "covering every blade of grass"
in the 1999 Champions League semi-final second leg against Juventus.

Keane added: "Stuff like that almost insults me. I get offended when people give quotes like that about me. It's like praising the postman for delivering letters."

Keane admitted he had cried in his car when his United career came to an abrupt end over a candid interview he gave to the club's in-house television station criticising his team-mates.
He said: "Of course I was upset: I did shed a few tears in my car for about two minutes.

"But I also told myself I had to get on with my life.

"I walked out with nothing, I had no club lined up and I was injured.

"I told David Gill I had been injured playing for Man United.

"I could have played for Manchester United easily for another couple of years."

Keane laughed off the furore surrounding the infamous MUTV interview and said he felt the row between Ferguson and then club director John Magnier over the stud rights to racehorse Rock of Gibraltar had to have had a "negative effect" on the club.

Keane said: "I managed the dressing room: that was my job.

"If people didn't think (the Rock of Gibraltar row) had a negative effect on the club then they are in cuckoo land."

Keane said Ferguson's strongest trait was his "ruthlessness", while labelling "loyalty" his biggest weakness.

And now Ferguson has retired, Keane revealed he and his son have season tickets at Old Trafford.

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
Two egomaniacs have a row and both don't like each other shocker...

Entitled to his opinion...I think after all he done for us, he's entitled to hate who he wants and say what he wants.

I could care less if he likes Fergie or not

Fergus' son

Gets very easily confused
Keane is mental.

What I don't understand is why he goes on about 'loyalty', he hung his teammates out to dry publicly and was nothing near the force on the pitch he used to be, why would SAF back him? Keane got paid millions to plays football for a club, he wasn't doing anyone any favours to which he should expect some in return. Once you cross the line and you have no redeeming traits left to make up for it, then your time is up.

SAF did what was needed to take the club forward and continue being successful.

GloryHunter07

Imagine what he would do/say to some of our players this week if he were still at the club.

Keenst

Even as a 42 year old he'd probably get a game in our current team if he'd never left.

Gladiator

What have you heard that backs up the suggestion that he is 'still striving for power and control and the club now'?
well you could make a case for rushing out the book..what was the purpose behind all that? I think what Keane said is OTT but the undertones sound about right to me

Fergus' son

well you could make a case for rushing out the book..what was the purpose behind all that? I think what Keane said is OTT but the undertones sound about right to me
What's the purpose of any sports autobiography? What was the purpose of Keanes? Aside from pleasing the fans that is.

Fergus' son

The purpose behind rushing it. That was the question
Christmas?

I don't know, what's are you suggesting? He quit managing us and decided instead to quickly release a book to continue exercising 'power and control' over the club? Sounds like the ramblings of a bitter ex captain of the club who has a grudge against our former manager more than anything, I'm not buying it.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
The purpose behind rushing it. That was the question

How'd you know he rushed to get it out? He always said he wanted to write down what happened, as that was something he was taught/believed in from his early years. In any case, I struggle to see how the book is in always linked to maintaining power and control over Manchester United.

Hmm.... I could continue as manager or I could retire and maintain my control by writing a book!

I hope you know how ridiculous that sounds!

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Both have massive egos.

Saf only probably put up with Keane for so long because he was a great player. In that sense Keane is right, he is ruthless.

LARulz

:lol: Keane taking issue with even getting praised. Guy needs to fecking sort himself out

Fergus' son

Both have massive egos.

Saf only probably put up with Keane for so long because he was a great player. In that sense Keane is right, he is ruthless.
He definitely only put up with him because he was a great player, that's how football clubs work! It's Keane that somehow believes different, that even when he was having more of a negative impact than positive SAF should've still 'shown loyalty'. It's crazy.

Keenst

There are probably elements of truth to what Keane says and elements of exaggeration. Fergie was evidently a control freak I don't think you could argue against that but it's part of what made him so successful.

This is just Keane's personal opinion on the man. We may love Fergie as a manager and the legend who brought so much success to United but I'm sure working under him, whilst being inspirational, could easily have been tough too. He really was ruthless. Keane obviously feels he deserved a bit more respect for what he did at United and I'm inclined to agree with him. The interview was a mistake but it also came at a convenient time for Fergie who probably saw it as an excuse to get rid of someone who he thought was getting too big for his boots - he didn't want to lose control.

At the end of the day it was a balancing act for Fergie to manage and he made his decision. United continued to win so it's hard to argue with that decision but on a human level I feel Keano was probably hard done by; but that's sport for you.

What comes through for me is that Keane genuinely cared about playing for United which is more than can be said for some.

Gladiator

How'd you know he rushed to get it out? He always said he wanted to write down what happened, as that was something he was taught/believed in from his early years. In any case, I struggle to see how the book is in always linked to maintaining power and control over Manchester United.

Hmm.... I could continue as manager or I could retire and maintain my control by writing a book!

I hope you know how ridiculous that sounds!
The amount of mistakes in it. Usually publishers are a lot more careful than that. In terms of Fergie's control, I think being on the team bus raises flags for me. But that's just me.

Christmas?

I don't know, what's are you suggesting? He quit managing us and decided instead to quickly release a book to continue exercising 'power and control' over the club? Sounds like the ramblings of a bitter ex captain of the club who has a grudge against our former manager more than anything, I'm not buying it.
I'm saying with the Rooney saga and all those things being fresh, it was just interesting that they were so seemingly eager to get it out. I mean Fergie's the type of man if his autobio came out a year later, people would still be just as enthusiastic. It's Fergie.

RoadTrip

The amount of mistakes in it. Usually publishers are a lot more careful than that. In terms of Fergie's control, I think being on the team bus raises flags for me. But that's just me.
Fair enough - forgot about all the mistakes. Still don't see what link that has with control - talking specifically about the book here. I don't see how that has any influence on anything.

As for being on the bus, I didn't know that - any links/articles I can read?

Fergus' son

I'm saying with the Rooney saga and all those things being fresh, it was just interesting that they were so seemingly eager to get it out. I mean Fergie's the type of man if his autobio came out a year later, people would still be just as enthusiastic. It's Fergie.

I'm not buying it, do you think he himself decided to release it early because of the Rooney saga? He could've released at the end of the season, detailing the same topics, and Keane would've come out and said the same shit. Its bollocks.

Gladiator

Fair enough - forgot about all the mistakes. Still don't see what link that has with control - talking specifically about the book here. I don't see how that has any influence on anything.

As for being on the bus, I didn't know that - any links/articles I can read?
There were no articles about it. It was just made aware to everyone pre-match depending what feed you were watching. Yeah on second thought, I think the control bit is stretching it. I feel like Keane meant relevance which is odd because it's Fergie but I can make better sense of that more than control.

Maybe if you look at match reports you'll see a brief mention but that's all you'll get.

Gladiator

I'm not buying it, do you think he himself decided to release it early because of the Rooney saga? He could've released at the end of the season, detailing the same topics, and Keane would've come out and said the same shit. Its bollocks.
I know Keane would have because that's just in Keane's nature. I don't know the full reasons why Fergie released it early. I'm just saying it's a bit bizarre considering all the mistakes. That's not Fergie to me. We're talking about a guy whose memory is impeccable.

Fergus' son

I know Keane would have because that's just in Keane's nature. I think Fergie would definitely have a say in when it comes out. Why wouldn't he?
Of course he did, I'm just saying that it was probably always meant to come out at that time, why wouldn't it? I doubt he thought to release it early in light of the Rooney saga, in order to exercise power and control. What is it about the release date that bothers you so much, wouldn't it have had the same impact released a bit later? If anything it would probably be worse now or later in the season when it becomes apparent that we aren't doing as well as we should be.

Keenst

I try to understand Roy's logic as much as possible but he lost with that bit really. What else could be said about his performance really ?

In Keane's opinion "covering every blade of grass" is the bare minimum that should be expected of a footballer, hence his comparison with the postman delivering letters. He'd probably prefer to be complimented on a sublime bit of skill or something he'd consider spectacular.

Like Fergie's ruthlessness such an attitude could be construed as a flaw but, like Fergie, it's what made him the best at what he did.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
In Keane's opinion "covering every blade of grass" is the bare minimum that should be expected of a footballer, hence his comparison with the postman delivering letters. He'd probably prefer to be complimented on a sublime bit of skill or something he'd consider spectacular.

Like Fergie's ruthlessness such an attitude could be construed as a flaw but, like Fergie, it's what made him the best at what he did.
Still hardly anything to be angry about no ?

Kostur

海尔的老板
'I managed the dressing room: that was my job'.

Bloody hell, firstly Rene, then Mike and now Keano. Seems like Ferguson was doing feck all during his reign.

RoadTrip

There were no articles about it. It was just made aware to everyone pre-match depending what feed you were watching. Yeah on second thought, I think the control bit is stretching it. I feel like Keane meant relevance which is odd because it's Fergie but I can make better sense of that more than control.

Maybe if you look at match reports you'll see a brief mention but that's all you'll get.

Fair enough. I just don't like how bitter Keane is about these things. He makes it sound as if Ferguson had no reason to kick him out of Old Trafford when in reality did. Yes SAF has an ego, but it's that attitude which made him so successful over the years and able to control and manage his squad effectively.

Furthermore, Keane is acting like a baby about what SAF said about him. Keane goes on all day criticizing everyone and anyone but acts like an infant when he's criticized.

Just stupid really. Whether Ferguson should or shouldn't have said the stuff he did that's another question. Personally I feel he can say whatever he wants, just as Keane has all the right to say what he wants. The difference is Ferguson's comments seem much more objective. Keane seems fueled by bitterness and hatred.

Gladiator

Of course he did, I'm just saying that it was probably always meant to come out at that time, why wouldn't it? I doubt he thought to release it early in light of the Rooney saga, in order to exercise power and control. What is it about the release date that bothers you so much, wouldn't it have had the same impact released a bit later? If anything it would probably be worse now or later in the season when it becomes apparent that we aren't doing as well as we should be.
I edited my post. Sorry.