Keane: Fergie has massive ego

Gladiator

Fair enough. I just don't like how bitter Keane is about these things. He makes it sound as if Ferguson had no reason to kick him out of Old Trafford when in reality did. Yes SAF has an ego, but it's that attitude which made him so successful over the years and able to control and manage his squad effectively.

Furthermore, Keane is acting like a baby about what SAF said about him. Keane goes on all day criticizing everyone and anyone but acts like an infant when he's criticized.

Just stupid really. Whether Ferguson should or shouldn't have said the stuff he did that's another question. Personally I feel he can say whatever he wants, just as Keane has all the right to say what he wants. The difference is Ferguson's comments seem much more objective. Keane seems fueled by bitterness and hatred.
You just shed some insight into why one has been able to make more of his management career than the other, even though one of them started earlier.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Nah, he is crazy after all. It's what makes him unique though, I wouldn't have him any other way!

Aye - incidentally it was this character trait that made him so effective when he was fit and one of the best players in the squad. It's a shame that it also makes him a fecking asshole now though.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
You just shed some insight into why one has been able to make more of his management career than the other, even though one of them started earlier.

Indeed. Ferguson caused fear with his rage. But his rage had direction, an agenda. With Keane, it's just pure rage. Any confidence destroyed by Fergie's rants are likely able to be fixed through his other attributes, leading to the player probably coming out better the other end. As he has direction in his rage, the players also respect it more. Keane has none of the other necessary qualities to make his rants worthwhile. I wouldn't be surprised that if a player had a bad game and he ripped into him, he would do nothing other than destroy that players confidence. Also, he would lose their respect.

dev1l

'I managed the dressing room: that was my job'.

Bloody hell, firstly Rene, then Mike and now Keano. Seems like Ferguson was doing feck all during his reign.
I remember when Kidd left United people said that United will miss him as he was the guy doing the tactics...the same when Mc Laren left.

Looking back at what all these achieved after leaving united, make you laugh (or cry) really :)

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
'I managed the dressing room: that was my job'.

Bloody hell, firstly Rene, then Mike and now Keano. Seems like Ferguson was doing feck all during his reign.

Well Robson, Bruce and Cantona were known to be the guys that ran the dressing room as club captains and who looked after player complaints and needs and wants and were the people the players looked to....He probably just mean't that I suppose.

I doubt he mean't he ran the show and had the tactics board out

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
Well.......What was he doing on the team bus in Germany the night we bet BL 5-0?

Tell us what was he doing?

Keane and Fergie both have huge ego's no shock there, they don't get along anymore, fine. I suppose we can expect further comments from Keane as he will get asked questions by the press and he will answer them. No big deal really.

.Rossi

Tell us what was he doing?

Keane and Fergie both have huge ego's no shock there, they don't get along anymore, fine. I suppose we can expect further comments from Keane as he will get asked questions by the press and he will answer them. No big deal really.

I've no idea what he was doing on it....But he shouldn't have been in my opinion...Even if he was just driving the thing

noodlehair

"It's like..."
He's entitled to dislike Fergie all he wants. I never get the furore over it to be honest.

There are plenty of people Ferguson has decided to dislike and take cheap shots at, Keane being one of them, and Fergie is by his own admission a control freak so I don't even get the major issue with Keane making basically the same point.

Plus, since Fergie turfed him out, we've gone soft. Do you think the players would have all been waiting for each other to get stuck in on Sunday if Roy Keane was still in the dressing room?

I'd take an outspoken character like him over a majority of the other types of ego driven characters you seem to get in football.

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
I've no idea what he was doing on it....But he shouldn't have been in my opinion...Even if he was just driving the thing
Was he the only other team official on the bus or were there others? For other clubs do other team officials ride the bus also? I guess what I am asking is there really a reason for your opinion or are you just sort of deciding that there is some imaginary line that has been crossed even though there is really nothing sinister about his being on the bus?

.Rossi

Was he the only other team official on the bus or were there others? For other clubs do other team officials ride the bus also? I guess what I am asking is there really a reason for your opinion or are you just sort of deciding that there is some imaginary line that has been crossed even though there is really nothing sinister about his being on the bus?

I guess I think that, with the exception of the hair and Rooney, this is still a squad full of Fergie men.
Having him there just seems a tad OTT when Moyes is still trying to get players on board with his methods.
I wasn't suggesting Fergie was in control or anything that night.......Then again, we did play well and win 5-0 :lol:

Another quote from Keane in the programme, he was asked to name his best United 11 and he left out Giggs...Asked why, he said
"Just because he's had a great career, doesn't mean he's a great player"

Must be some issue with them two

.Rossi

Why is anyone blindly taking sides when they have no idea what actually went on?

This :lol:

Who cares?!...Great manager, great player, both have given us so much and so many memories. They don't like each other. They both can be petty and bitter...Who cares?!...It's entertaining :D

Proud_Lyon

Banned Cnut
He's entitled to dislike Fergie all he wants. I never get the furore over it to be honest.

There are plenty of people Ferguson has decided to dislike and take cheap shots at, Keane being one of them, and Fergie is by his own admission a control freak so I don't even get the major issue with Keane making basically the same point.

Plus, since Fergie turfed him out, we've gone soft. Do you think the players would have all been waiting for each other to get stuck in on Sunday if Roy Keane was still in the dressing room?

I'd take an outspoken character like him over a majority of the other types of ego driven characters you seem to get in football.

To answer that, never!! Keane had that aura around him, he was the mouthpiece of Sir Alex on the field. I have seen many captains like Gary Neville, Rooney (temporarily), Vidic, Robson, Evra and Keane to name a few, but none had the presence of Roy Keane. In fact, if Keane had played the game against Everton when we lost at home, he would have taken both Vidic and Evra outside and give them a bloody good hiding. I don't see the likes of Evra or Vidic motivating players anymore, they just don't have it in them to be proper leaders like Keano. If only we could have Keano as a first team coach instead of fecking Phil Neville then we might just get somewhere. To summarise, I don't think Keano was wrong in what he said, since he has every right to criticise Sir Alex just as Sir Alex criticises other people. In fact, why are we now doing a character assassination on Keane when we all knew what he was like from the very first time he kicked a ball at Old Trafford?

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Looking forward to watching the Keane and Vieira programme after the game tomorrow to be fair. But some things are better left unsaid.

I imagine they'll kiss and make up eventually.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Ferguson did wonders for us, but to assume he was never wrong about anything during his tenure here is downright idiotic. Keane is bang on about the Coolmore affair, too; incredible that the manager felt he was holding the club's best interests at heart during it.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Hopefully keane is wrong about the "power and control" thing. That would be extremely detrimental if true.

Fergus' son

Gets very easily confused
Hopefully keane is wrong about the "power and control" thing. That would be extremely detrimental if true.
Blatantly bullshit IMO.

The fact that the BBC have now picked up the story and are going with the 'SAF still seeks control at Utd' angle pisses me off, it's the last thing we need at this time.

Rowem

gently, down the stream

SAF wanted Moyes hired rather than Mourinho because he secretly wanted United to look rubbish without him. He couldn't have Mourinho coming in and winning the Champions League and signing actual midfielders - that would undermine SAF's own success.

Lynk

Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck
I love them both.

acnumber9

And Fergie wouldnt?
He could've said no but then why would he? In what way was releasing that book to exert power? If he wanted control over the football side at Old Trafford he could have it in a heartbeat.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
The Irishman even took issue with Ferguson praising him in his recently released autobiography for "covering every blade of grass"
in the 1999 Champions League semi-final second leg against Juventus.

Keane added: "Stuff like that almost insults me. I get offended when people give quotes like that about me. It's like praising the postman for delivering letters."
:lol: That's Keano, alright.

He's wrong about one thing in particular: He couldn't have "easily" stayed on for a couple of more years. Shows a severe lack of self-insight. His legs were gone - and he was done for at the very top. As for the loyalty part - well, Roy, if you hadn't acted like a cnut, you might very well have been rewarded for your many great years at the club, in a lesser role of some kind, perhaps sliding over into coaching, etc. But that was never likely with an ego like yours, was it?

Anyway - it's Keano. He's a bit mental. At the end of the day I agree with what was said above: I love 'em both.

Revan

Assumptionman
This is just Keane's personal opinion on the man. We may love Fergie as a manager and the legend who brought so much success to United but I'm sure working under him, whilst being inspirational, could easily have been tough too. He really was ruthless. Keane obviously feels he deserved a bit more respect for what he did at United and I'm inclined to agree with him. The interview was a mistake but it also came at a convenient time for Fergie who probably saw it as an excuse to get rid of someone who he thought was getting too big for his boots - he didn't want to lose control.
This is all based on Fergie's book:

Keane apparently had a big influence on the dressing room. A few days after that interview, Gary Neville came to Ferguson compaining about the training methods of Queiroz, something that never has happened before, and according to SAF total nonsense. So, the interview while was bad it wasn't the biggest problem, the biggest problem was that Keane tried to divide the dressing room and he was very influential so could have done that. Fergie and Queiroz decided that the only way is to ship him out of the club, which in the end was the best thing they could have done.

Gladiator

He could've said no but then why would he? In what way was releasing that book to exert power? If he wanted control over the football side at Old Trafford he could have it in a heartbeat.
Yeah I retracted on taht part. I just didnt get the urge to release it if it was going to have all those errors.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
"Stuff like that almost insults me. I get offended when people give quotes like that about me. It's like praising the postman for delivering letters."
Soooo humble.

Marching

Somehow still supports Leeds
:lol: at Keane - a prize wanker. Needs help with his mental health issues.