Keane: Fergie has massive ego

Plugsy

Pointless to choose sides in this spat.

Sure it's pointless but not difficult. Keane was an aging player who was upsetting the apple cart out of frustration that his final year(s) at this level was being spent in a transitional team. Ferguson was a manager with a group of young players whose morale was being damaged by the existence of the club captain in the dressing room.

I'm convinced that the reason why Keane cannot understand in anyway how Ferguson acted the way he did is the exact same reason why he'll never succeed in management.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Its clear Keane isn't going to be a successful manager, which would put him in good company with virtually every other preceding United player who tried their hand at managing.

Plugsy

Its clear Keane isn't going to be a successful manager, which would put him in good company with virtually every other preceding United player who tried their hand at managing.

But those guys aren't successful because they're poor at the job. Keane's problem would always be he cannot see past Roy Keane. He doesn't understand how a manager can decide to side with his assistant and players over an ageing, angry, captain plagued by injuries unlikely to ever recapture the form he had once shown. As far as Keane was concerned the definition of loyalty would have been for Fergie to say "feck you, you, you and you" to everyone in the dressing room upset at Keane's comments/presence, in order show loyalty to Keane. To not understand why the manager did what he did and why he had to do that, I think is a sign of how little Roy Keane is able to function beyond thinking about Roy Keane.

Irony being of course as a player he was all for the team, the collective effort. Something's certainly changed.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
But those guys aren't successful because they're poor at the job. Keane's problem would always be he cannot see past Roy Keane. He doesn't understand how a manager can decide to side with his assistant and players over an ageing, angry, captain plagued by injuries unlikely to ever recapture the form he had once shown. As far as Keane was concerned the definition of loyalty would have been for Fergie to say "feck you, you, you and you" to everyone in the dressing room upset at Keane's comments/presence, in order show loyalty to Keane. To not understand why the manager did what he did and why he had to do that, I think is a sign of how little Roy Keane is able to function beyond thinking about Roy Keane.

Irony being of course as a player he was all for the team, the collective effort. Something's certainly changed.

There may be other options in such a scenario than siding fully with one or the other. Mediation, reprimands and reparation are tools that could be used rather than "alright, someone's got to go here."

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Simple discussion really: How has United done post-Keane and how's United doing post-Fergie?

Who ought to have a bigger ego and who really has an ego problem?

Oggmonster

There may be other options in such a scenario than siding fully with one or the other. Mediation, reprimands and reparation are tools that could be used rather than "alright, someone's got to go here."

With regards to Plugsy's post though about it happening with Keane, judging by Fergie's book alone, there was no other option than Keane had to go, he'd pissed everyone off one to many times it seems and that was the last straw and he did have to go.

There's no saying who is right or wrong in the argument. Keane has his side and Fergie has his, no one will budge and no one else really knows. I'd hazard a guess and say they're both exaggerating somewhat. For what it's worth I think the bit in Fergie's book where he claims he was "scared" of Roy Keane at one point is absolute bollocks, but I do believe there is some truth in the other stuff he says, again there is no proving what is right it's just a feeling I get.

Simple discussion really: How has United done post-Keane and how's United doing post-Fergie?

Who ought to have a bigger ego and who really has an ego problem?

Unfair comparison though. Keane's been gone for about 7 years, Fergie's not even been gone 1.

SirAF

Ageist
Watching the documentary at You Tube now, can't bring myself to dislike Keano damnit! On the question weather he would have acted differently in the Haaland situation, he took his time before answering "Nah" :D

Plugsy

Ferguson already called a meeting between the players to show them the video and to clear the air and it ended up being a verbal slanging match with Keane redoubling his attacks and players having enough and walking out and by then his own relationship with the manager had broken down as he'd already gone on a tirade at him about the horsey thing.

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
:lol: Only just read this. What bullshit. 'I'm insulted when people give me compliments. It's like congratulating the post man for bringing your post.'

Next time he's in the studio;

Chiles: And what a night he's had, his manager will surely be pleased with his performance, won't he?
Keane: Well, to be honest that's a bit like congratulating the post man for bringing your post.
Chiles: Yeah but his performance today was above and beyond what his manager would have expected of him surely?
Keane: Yeah but it's his job. Just like the postman.
Chiles: But..
Keane: The. Post. Man.