Keir Starmer Labour Leader

pacifictheme

You mean the one about to be bankrupt by libel cases who still won't admit antisemitism was an issue... Who actually took money from Russia today to be Putin's mouthpiece and is still to this day going round blaming NATO for the russian invasion

Though given he wouldnt even condem putin over the novichok attack I guess it's to be expected

Thank fek he got pasted into irrelevance at the last election

There is a very interesting twitter thread showing all the foreign policy experts (who were ignored) who predicted that Russia would invade if nato got too close to Ukraine. Goes back years.

Dobba

Reeves has ramped up not wanting the Labour Party to represent anyone out of work, anyone having their poverty wages topped up by Universal Credit and/or anyone reliant on benefits because of disability and has decided to add people in work who are being fecked over by their bosses.

What a party. I might start queuing outside the polling station now to make sure I get my vote for this lot in.

Mart1974

harbours delusions of insignificance
Reeves has ramped up not wanting the Labour Party to represent anyone out of work, anyone having their poverty wages topped up by Universal Credit and/or anyone reliant on benefits because of disability and has decided to add people in work who are being fecked over by their bosses.

What a party. I might start queuing outside the polling station now to make sure I get my vote for this lot in.
She can hardly state that she supports a vaugue threat of strike action at this point. Labour tend to not outwardly support strikes, they fail to condemn them and usually push the narrative of the employer settling.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Labour is a fecking weird party. Imagine if we had some sort of serious opposition. Ed Davey is the best party leader at the moment. :houllier: :houllier: :houllier:

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
To me what seems more laughable is anyone having the notion that far-left Corbyn could win an election in what is obviously a right-wing country.

What am I missing?

Fluctuation0161

Wakefield Labour executive resigns accusing Starmer of byelection stitch-up
Members quit en masse over ‘arrogant’ handling of candidate selection process
https://amp.theguardian.com/politic...gns-accusing-keir-starmer-byelection-stich-up

Starmer really knows how to lose votes. The Lib Dem and Green performance in the recent local elections will likely be repeated in a GE I suspect.

Keir manages to alienate Labour voters and doesn't attract enough Tory voters. They were lucky Boris was embroiled in partygate for the locals or I suspect Labour would've really suffered in England.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
I'd always prefer to see a Labour / Labour-led government over a Tory one - for me the best scenario at the next general election is a Labour minority government reliant on the Lib Dems to get their Queen's speech through, as then there could be a chance of movement from the ridiculous FPTP to a form or PR.

I’m still struggling to see what the point of Starmer is. Sure sometimes he has performed well in PMQs, but then again William Hague did that as Tory leader and it meant absolutely nothing. He is completely vacuous when it comes to policies, is devoid of a personality or charisma and while not as bad as Johnson is clearly dishonest and shifty himself and looks to shift with which way the window is blowing but often very late.

I'm far from a die-hard Corbynite, and was increasingly critical of his leadership over time. Labour is effectively 3 parties under one broad coalition. the left, the soft-left and the centrists. A colleague of mine dubbed them as a coalition of losers.

Superden

i would love to have seen Corbyn as PM, i have very little regard for Starmer, but i would much rather a Labour than this utterly heartless Conservative govt, especially considering the many challenges the people face with cost of living etc. seeing both sides of the party fighting battles with each other rather than the govt, is so fecking annoying.
the wakefield by election is a key opportunity for Labour to really mount a charge, and instead they look like ballsing up due to factional politics. in this instance blame has to go to the HQ, honestly what are they thinking? as much as if anyone is an evil lizard person, its mandelson, they need someone like him behind the scenes to hand out some right royal kicks up the arse and get the party machine focused and moving in the right direction.
politics is about winning elections, unless you control the executive you aint changing shit for the better. millions in this country are facing misery due to political choices made by the tories. that thought should be foremost for anyone on the left. posting memes on twitter aint gonna lift one person out of poverty.

MoskvaRed

i would love to have seen Corbyn as PM, i have very little regard for Starmer, but i would much rather a Labour than this utterly heartless Conservative govt, especially considering the many challenges the people face with cost of living etc. seeing both sides of the party fighting battles with each other rather than the govt, is so fecking annoying.
the wakefield by election is a key opportunity for Labour to really mount a charge, and instead they look like ballsing up due to factional politics. in this instance blame has to go to the HQ, honestly what are they thinking? as much as if anyone is an evil lizard person, its mandelson, they need someone like him behind the scenes to hand out some right royal kicks up the arse and get the party machine focused and moving in the right direction.
politics is about winning elections, unless you control the executive you aint changing shit for the better. millions in this country are facing misery due to political choices made by the tories. that thought should be foremost for anyone on the left. posting memes on twitter aint gonna lift one person out of poverty.
I find the prospect of Corbyn as PM in the Ukrainian crisis terrifying. Boris might be an amoral, corrupt piece of sh*t but he is at least backing the right side in this conflict. Corbyn is so locked in his 1970s radical mindset that he is incapable of objective judgement when it comes to Russia and the West, as shown by his risible response to the Salisbury poisoning.

Fluctuation0161

I find the prospect of Corbyn as PM in the Ukrainian crisis terrifying. Boris might be an amoral, corrupt piece of sh*t but he is at least backing the right side in this conflict. Corbyn is so locked in his 1970s radical mindset that he is incapable of objective judgement when it comes to Russia and the West, as shown by his risible response to the Salisbury poisoning.
I assume you haven't heard about the Russian report or Russian oligarchs with links to Putin funding the Tory party by over £2m?
https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/bo...to-ignore-the-tories-record-on-russian-money/

Or Boris overriding UK secret services advice that Lebedev shouldn't be given a peerage and entered into our house of Lords because of his family KGB links? Guess where he is now, yes, in our house of Lords.
https://www.theguardian.com/politic...rages-boris-johnson-evgeny-lebedev-friendship

Maybe you need to do some more research?

MoskvaRed

I assume you haven't heard about the Russian report or Russian oligarchs with links to Putin funding the Tory party by over £2m?
https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/bo...to-ignore-the-tories-record-on-russian-money/

Or Boris overriding UK secret services advice that Lebedev shouldn't be given a peerage and entered into our house of Lords because of his family KGB links? Guess where he is now, yes, in our house of Lords.
https://www.theguardian.com/politic...rages-boris-johnson-evgeny-lebedev-friendship

Maybe you need to do some more research?
I’m fully aware of Russian money influence in this government. But they are totally amoral and will screw their financial backers if there is political gain to be had in turning on them and cosplaying Churchill. Corbyn seems to be a genuine believer in mother Russia.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
"Yes I'm aware there are actual russian links to the current government but I'm going to ignore those and focus on the hypothetical ones I made up in my head about Corbyn"

MoskvaRed

"Yes I'm aware there are actual russian links to the current government but I'm going to ignore those and focus on the hypothetical ones I made up in my head about Corbyn"
Response to Salisbury attack - send the samples to Russia for testing.
Response to Ukraine invasion - “Stop the War” protests and anti-NATO speeches.
if it makes you feel better, I agree that some of Corbyn and McDonnell’s domestic policies made sense and would have the country in a better position as compared with the current charlatan. But talk about a useful idiot in Europe’s biggest crisis in 80 years….

phelans shorts

I’m fully aware of Russian money influence in this government. But they are totally amoral and will screw their financial backers if there is political gain to be had in turning on them and cosplaying Churchill. Corbyn seems to be a genuine believer in mother Russia.
Except you have an almost perfect example of which side he would fall on in his views on Israel’s butchering of Palestinians.

The only reason Boris has been in any sense useful is because Russian influence over the public wasn’t as powerful as they assumed. If it was then he’d be selling arms to them and spouting the Russian line.

Reiver

They've done the same in South Lanarkshire, where I live. The SNP have managed to do the unthinkable and unite Tory and Labour. I think Labour are crazy to do this, using Tory support to get into power at a local level will probably end up reaping a whirlwind at a national level.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
They've done the same in South Lanarkshire, where I live. The SNP have managed to do the unthinkable and unite Tory and Labour. I think Labour are crazy to do this, using Tory support to get into power at a local level will probably end up reaping a whirlwind at a national level.
They did it in Brighton a few years ago to keep the Greens out. In the end almost all the Labour councillors decided to switch to the Tory party as they knew they had no chance of getting re-elected as Labour having done it.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
They did it in Brighton a few years ago to keep the Greens out. In the end almost all the Labour councillors decided to switch to the Tory party as they knew they had no chance of getting re-elected as Labour having done it.
How long ago was this?

The Greens ran a minority administration from 2011 to 2015 and weren't kept out by a Tory/Labour coalition

DOTA

How long ago was this?

The Greens ran a minority administration from 2011 to 2015 and weren't kept out by a Tory/Labour coalition
More recent than that.

EDIT - I'm trying to dig out an article for you...

Frosty

More recent than that.
Ah, then you mean the minority Labour administration from 2015 to 2019. Plenty of Labour councillors got de-selected by local parties who wanted more Corbyn friendly candidates. A couple went Independent and one to Change UK, but only one defected from Labour to the Tories.

https://www.sussexexpress.co.uk/new...-brighton-councillor-defects-to-tories-105669

After the Greens took over minority administration of the Council in 2020 when three Labour councillors were suspended for anti-semitism, there have been some votes where Labour voted with the Tories on single issues, but around three-quarters of the time Labour and Green vote together for a common agenda.

https://www.brightonandhovenews.org/2020/12/03/greens-and-labours-coalition-deal-revealed/

Frosty

Sorry. I have lived in the city and campaigned through the last nine years. It has been like wading through shit at times and the Greens consistently cause huge issues every time they get anywhere near power. The locals love them despite the feck ups though.

DOTA

Sorry. I have lived in the city and campaigned through the last nine years. It has been like wading through shit at times and the Greens consistently cause huge issues every time they get anywhere near power. The locals love them despite the feck ups though.
I lived there at the time. Greens did a good job. I've been trying to find the Argus stories from back then but struggling.