Keir Starmer Labour Leader

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
And thus they avoid the most obvious political trap in history.

Make the story about Tory failure to manage the country and not "Labour MPs pictured stopping hard working British nurses going to work."
Yup. Starmer's doing a crap job but this is obviously the right approach.

Compton22

Knows that he knows nothing.
I am not Starmer's biggest fan, but the absolute focus has to be on this being a crisis of the Conservative governments making. Showing up at strikes is playing into their hands, allowing them to switch the narrative.

Fingeredmouse

There already is a graduate tax. It just disproportionately affects normal graduates compared to very high earning ones. Most students won't pay back their loans, they'll just keep paying contributions until the loan term elapses. I'm lucky that it's only 25 years for me but more recent graduates with £9000 fees will basically be paying it forever thanks to Tony and the Tories.
Yes, it's a racket and, I genuinely believe, social engineering.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Is Wes Streeting the same guy who vehemently opposed Khan's proposal to potentially legalise cannabis because of his (supposed) constituents' feelings (who aren't in London), but he IS a fan of stop & search despite it targeting predominantly young POC?

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
I am not Starmer's biggest fan, but the absolute focus has to be on this being a crisis of the Conservative governments making. Showing up at strikes is playing into their hands, allowing them to switch the narrative.
Agreed.

Needs to ram home the point with some fairly sensible language;

“I support the rights of every worker in this country to pursue pay and working conditions they deserve. Unfortunately, if the Government cannot resolve these issues, you’ll get more Tory strikes.

All I can guarantee right now is that my Government will never be facing the prospect of teachers, nurses, railway staff, and other key workers, striking en masse. Not because they wouldn’t strike under a labour government, but because we would support the people that are fundamental to society”

Some shit like that.

Having said that, I’d have got a minor MP in a safe seat to draw a direct line of sight between the PM getting a sinus operation, and his well documented life-long cocaine habit.

Dobba

Agreed.

I support the rights of every worker in this country to pursue pay and working conditions they deserve. Unfortunately, if the Government cannot resolve these issues, you’ll get more Tory strikes.

All I can guarantee right now is that my Government will never be facing the prospect of teachers, nurses, railway staff, and other key workers, striking en masse. Not because they wouldn’t strike under a labour government, but because we would support the people that are fundamental to society

Some shit like that.

Having said that, I’d have got a minor MP in a safe seat to draw a direct line of sight between the PM getting a sinus operation, and his well documented life-long cocaine habit.
That would be a lie.

Sweet Square

Agreed.

“I support the rights of every worker in this country to pursue pay and working conditions they deserve. Unfortunately, if the Government cannot resolve these issues, you’ll get more Tory strikes.

All I can guarantee right now is that my Government will never be facing the prospect of teachers, nurses, railway staff, and other key workers, striking en masse. Not because they wouldn’t strike under a labour government, but because we would support the people that are fundamental to society”

Some shit like that.

Yup. Starmer's doing a crap job but this is obviously the right approach.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Is Wes Streeting the same guy who vehemently opposed Khan's proposal to potentially legalise cannabis because of his (supposed) constituents' feelings (who aren't in London), but he IS a fan of stop & search despite it targeting predominantly young POC?
No and No. I think.

He seems to be a very sensible fella. Wants to release swathes of people from prison who’ve been sentenced for drug offences and other minor crimes. He doesn’t seem to be pro stop and search.

He also grew up in poverty across Wapping/Whitechapel in the East End and went to a secondary school where he was a minority. I don’t think he’s applying a racial lens to anything.

Reiver

I think he's wrong to have ordered no front benchers to been at the strikes. He's just made a rod for his own back as there were always going to be some who disobeyed.
I also don't think it's right that a Labour leader should be deterring members of the party from going to pickets either.

nickm

Yeah, Labour should 100% be in the middle of all the chaos being planned for the summer, that's a great look for a wannabe government and is bound to win them loads of votes.

FFS.

Last edited:

Fluctuation0161

Yeah, Labour should 100% be in the middle of all the chaos being planned for the summer, that's a great look for a wannabe government and is bound to win them loads of votes.

FFS.
You mean Labour, the party founded by the workers, for the workers, shouldn't back the workers being squeezed on low pay while their companies generate record profits?

The clue is in the party name.

Im fairly sure you wouldn't be supporting Labour regardless of their stance on this issue anyway. So it is a moot point.

Edit. Just to add, any "chaos" in the Summer will be because the government is as inept and half arsed at negotiating as it is at everything else.

Last edited:

marktan

You mean Labour, the party founded by the workers, for the workers, shouldn't back the workers being squeezed on low pay while their companies generate record profits?

The clue is in the party name.

Im fairly sure you wouldn't be supporting Labour regardless of their stance on this issue anyway. So it is a moot point.

Edit. Just to add, any "chaos" in the Summer will be because the government is as inept and half arsed at negotiating as it is at everything else.
I get the point and I support labour but history shows that elections are won by the party that positions itself in the centre.

I don't understand the criticisms at Starmer, yeah he could be more charismatic and push the agenda more, but setting your tent pole right in the centre and not rocking the boat is precisely what's needed to beat the Conservatives. Get the traditional labour voters + a chunk of the rich oldies.

Of course all a moot point if Labour and Lib dem finally wise up and embrace tactical voting, at which point the Conservatives are guaranteed to lose.

Fluctuation0161

I get the point and I support labour but history shows that elections are won by the party that positions itself in the centre.

I don't understand the criticisms at Starmer, yeah he could be more charismatic and push the agenda more, but setting your tent pole right in the centre and not rocking the boat is precisely what's needed to beat the Conservatives. Get the traditional labour voters + a chunk of the rich oldies.

Of course all a moot point if Labour and Lib dem finally wise up and embrace tactical voting, at which point the Conservatives are guaranteed to lose.
Not rocking the boat is one thing.

But Starmer gained leadership of the Labour party by commiting to 10 pledges, which he has dumped and completely disregarded. He was also so committed to remainers, so much so that he quit as a junior minister under Corbyn after the Brexit referendum and later pushed for the disastrous second referendum as Labour policy in the 2019 election, yet today he has backtracked on any amendments to Boris Johnsons terrible deal.

it seems to me he has no policies or principles, other than to go back on his word and backtrack on any previously stated policies or principles! Correct me if I'm wrong. I don't feel I am being too harsh here.

neverdie

Not rocking the boat is one thing.

But Starmer gained leadership of the Labour party by commiting to 10 pledges, which he has dumped and completely disregarded. He was also so committed to remainers, so much so that he quit as a junior minister under Corbyn after the Brexit referendum and later pushed for the disastrous second referendum as Labour policy in the 2019 election, yet today he has backtracked on any amendments to Boris Johnsons terrible deal.

it seems to me he has no policies or principles, other than to go back on his word and backtrack on any previously stated policies or principles! Correct me if I'm wrong. I don't feel I am being too harsh here.
pretty much. the entire point of starmer seems to have been to destroy any idea of what labour might be said to stand for. surely the worst leader since before the 70s. at least if you hated corbyn you knew why you hated him and could wait for him or his policies to be defeated before trying to win the ideological battle again within the party. many labour members were in that spot, though they were a minority. if you hate starmer though you're waiting for his political career to die by whatever means necessary. you can already tell he's going to lose the next election if he leads labour and you're guaranteed two wasted years.

the man only stands for a vague public relations image of "not johnson". he's a pr creation. a completely vapid fecking suit not worth hating but impossible to like. overall it will be the lack of policy that has killed him, not even just the betrayal.

ThierryFabregas

Supports
Arsenal
I think allot of people see this. Didn't this thread used to be titled 'Keir Starmer, does he hold any genuine positions'?

He's not running on anything other than 'Boris is bad'. That seems to be his only political argument I've come across. Is that not fair? Is he promising more money for the NHS in any substantive way?

How can you claim you're going to reduce trade barriers while saying you won't join the customs union or single market?

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
At this point surely not being Boris Johnson is enough to get Labor under Starmer back in to power?

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
It really would be top banter from Durham police if they announce today that Starmer broke Covid rules!

2 leadership elections this summer maybe?

Sweet Square

I am fortunate to know a couple of people 'inside the firm' so to speak, on the right of the party, so please forgive the ITK information. But the NEC are already prepping for a leadership election and to put in place an interim to fight a snap election this Autumn. Plus the feeling is that Durham police will issue a fine, and at least three MPs (centre/right) are canvassing for potential votes.