Keir Starmer Labour Leader

Sweet Square

What’s funny? You can. Wide open human.

I’ve met him three times. I’m not his mate, we don’t have common friends.

You can just meet MP’s very easily. Would you like me take you?
Cheers but I’ll have to give it a miss. Although it’s rude for Starmer to lie to members of the public in person.

But seriously, it’s very clear Starmer has backtracked on all his very basic centre left policies that he ran on during his leadership campaign. No amount of personal meet and greets changes that and can people mental for picking up on this, just seems kind of useless.

neverdie

He has principles. He backs unions. He wants the NHS and Public Utilities in public hands. Unequivocally. No ifs, but or coconuts.
he whipped his party against supporting the rail strikes. said it was for optics. or his interpretators said so. he whipped them in the lords against giving poor children free lunches for the summer. wasn't a good enough plan. he has dropped every pledge he ran on to become leader and now says he's pragmatic not idealistic. being pragmatic, then, how can one pragmatically trust a man who ditches his promises in favor of whatever happens to be blowing in the wind.

i don't care if he's a brexiteer. brexit has been voted on and the uk isn't going back to the eu. it's a waste of time to even talk about that. what bothers me is his complete lack of domestic policy except for those policies he's already thrown in the bin. he stands for nothing that i can see. it's cool that you've spoken with him but the man is a politician. they say one thing and do the opposite. that's true if you look at his actual record. all he stands for is getting elected for the sake of getting elected. look at the biden administration to see how great that strategy is. they're transforming the american landscape with trillions in green new deal funding as promised. or they're doing nothing of the sort and it's almost as if their promises are one thing and their actions are another. must remember to speak to biden as i'm sure he has a great answer for it all.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
Every time this thread is replied to I shudder as I wonder what on earth has been said now.

Everyone in my local branch now seems to see trans rights as some kind of red line, that somehow that is Starmer going 'too far' and 'offending real women'. These were all people who remained members throughout the Corbyn years despite complaining non-stop about anti-Semitism. But no, the trans community are the real threat to the UK and worth resigning membership over.

Sweet Square

Another normal day for Keir.

Sad to see Starmer has once again lost @sun_tzu vote. Tbh I would say this is unfair and nothing more than a silly mistake but well the last 7 years happened and melted everyone brains.

Foxbatt

Tony Blair should shut up. He is lamenting that western hegemony is ending. Good. It should have ended long time ago.

Simbo

Another normal day for Keir.

Sad to see Starmer has once again lost @sun_tzu vote. Tbh I would say this is unfair and nothing more than a silly mistake but well the last 7 years happened and melted everyone brains.
Just propagandic bollocks.

RedChip

Does this count as a policy?

Would be a good policy if they could properly implement it. Problem is public is probably cynical now after all the constant chat of levelling up. So they would need to spell out how it would work.

Superden

Just propagandic bollocks.
even margaret hodge has come out on twitter against the 'campaign against anti-semitism', perhaps she forgot she was their main patron for a while. obviously The Lord of all Dudley Ian Austin is still sticking the boot in, regardless.

Superden

Would be a good policy if they could properly implement it. Problem is public is probably cynical now after all the constant chat of levelling up. So they would need to spell out how it would work.
one of the tory contenders was saying they want more houses built on brownfield and at the same time give local communities a super veto over planning and development. what do they think is going to happen then?

Frosty

The Forde Report has finally been released:

Antisemitism was used as ‘factional weapon’ in Labour party, Forde report finds
Report, commissioned by Keir Starmer, finds ‘toxicity on both sides’ during Jeremy Corbyn’s time as leader

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...tional-weapon-labour-party-forde-report-finds

Labour, under the leadership of Jeremy Corbyn, was riven with bitter factional infighting, with both supporters and opponents of Corbyn using the issue of antisemitism within the party “as a factional weapon”, a long-awaited report has said.

The Forde report details what it describes as “toxicity on both sides of the relationship” between Corbyn’s office and the Labour HQ, which seriously hampered Labour’s ability to fight elections.

Keir Starmer commissioned the Forde report, by Martin Forde QC, in the wake of the leak of a document containing private WhatsApp messages that exposed deep factionalism in Labour’s efforts to combat antisemitism.

The 138-page document, given to Labour’s ruling National Executive Committee on Tuesday and seen by the Guardian, sets out what it calls “debilitating inertia, factionalism and infighting which then distracted from what all profess to be a common cause – electoral success”.

WhatsApp messages and other evidence showed “online abuse, segregation of the staff in each of the ‘camps’ during campaigns and, in one instance, a deliberate go-slow by certain members of staff designed to frustrate the efforts of a colleague from an ‘opposing faction’ to promote the party’s wider interests”.

---

Worth discussing here?

villain

Hates Beyoncé

This thread outlines it well.
No doubt Kier will ignore his black & brown colleagues, again.

neverdie

long overdue. will wait to read the entire thing when it becomes available to public, if it isn't already. in common sense terms i don't think it's going to tell me anything i couldn't already assume. like the plp tried to weaponize anti-semitism and everything else they could to force leadership elections, poor election results, and the eventual resignation of corbyn. the wider british media did the same thing and everyone knows it. corbyn was the target of the most sustained campaign of abuse in modern political history. maybe trump comes close to him or beats him but trump actively courted that kind of press and corbyn never did. remarkable contrast.

in other news "make brexit work" is a superb campaign slogan. brexit will stand for the tory party itself, or tory britain, in kind of inverted form of "labour isn't working". it's marketing genius tbh for a series of reasons with one being that it encapsulates the essence of labour's internal divide on brexit too. it becomes shorthand for "make brexit britain, which backbench short-sighted tory public school schisms gave us, work even though it might not be what we wanted" which is the long version of the consensus from left to right in labour and britain at large by now. if starmer can actually get onto economic topics and deliver substantive policies which are both transformational and costed, then you could be looking at a landslide. otherwise, if he just rehashes the miliband stuff, you'd have to assume split parliament or tory win. has to both offer something worthwhile but also deliver it which is why the costing matters. functionality is the obvious message and britain's lack of cohesion under 12 years of tory rule is the target. transformational economic agenda which is pragmatically costed is the remedy. now we wait.

ZupZup

I’ve read a lot of the report and whilst they’ve tried to “both sides” many of their conclusions… the actual evidence points far more to the right of the party behaving pretty appallingly. When it comes to accusations against the left of the party, amazing how much of the claims don’t have evidence because the conversations happened “off the record”.

The fact that the party tried to prevent people from voting in the leadership election if they were Corbyn supporters deserves probably more publicity than it will get. They literally blocked people from voting if they’d made any negative comments about Labour MP’s on the right of the party… with no such rules in place for anyone slagging off left wing MP’s or Corbyn. They’d be welcome to vote.

redcucumber

Meant to just vote for Labour at all costs though :lol:
This is scandalous. So many people used to bang on about how he was unelectable etc. It's no wonder he was unsuccessful when powerful officials in his own party were sabotaging him to such an extent. Piss take.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
This is scandalous. So many people used to bang on about how he was unelectable etc. It's no wonder he was unsuccessful when powerful officials in his own party were sabotaging him to such an extent. Piss take.
Precisely this. I can't believe I spent time and energy campaigning for a party that was actively working against itself.
They won't get my vote in the future, unless mass change is done.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Which is pure win for the Tories… there’s essentially no opposition at this point.

Slow slide into fascism.
We're already in fascism.
Also, after the results of the Forde report, why should I - as a black woman - support a party that actively ignores discrimination and racism against black women within its own Party?

Ibi Dreams

Which is pure win for the Tories… there’s essentially no opposition at this point.

Slow slide into fascism.
Labour aren't really even proposing anything at the moment that makes them worth voting for. They're banking on getting all those "anyone but the Tories" votes despite not appealing at all to many of those voters.

I still think there's a difference between them and the Tories, but it seems to be getting slimmer all the time. I don't want to vote for them and validate how they treated Corbyn and the left of the party, if they win because of that it'll just prove that they can lie, go back on promises, swing massively to the right and be successful doing it.

A defeat for Labour might actually be good in the long term if it means that they rethink their policy/strategy

Smores

Nothing unexpected in the Forde report it's exactly what we all knew was going on at the time. Most of those who dismissed these things at the time post a lot less in the politics thread strangely.

It's difficult to back a party that would rather sabotage itself rather than represent the type of policies the centre left want.

I don't think anyone would be shocked if there was a leak of the monetary rewards given to individuals to conduct this behaviour. There's just too much manipulation in politics on all sides.

Don't Kill Bill

Labour aren't really even proposing anything at the moment that makes them worth voting for. They're banking on getting all those "anyone but the Tories" votes despite not appealing at all to many of those voters.

I still think there's a difference between them and the Tories, but it seems to be getting slimmer all the time. I don't want to vote for them and validate how they treated Corbyn and the left of the party, if they win because of that it'll just prove that they can lie, go back on promises, swing massively to the right and be successful doing it.

A defeat for Labour might actually be good in the long term if it means that they rethink their policy/strategy
In the long term we are all dead.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
I don't think anyone would be shocked if there was a leak of the monetary rewards given to individuals to conduct this behaviour. There's just too much manipulation in politics on all sides.
It’s blatantly obvious in my opinion.

The Labour Party has been compromised and systematically hollowed out.

There is no opposition.

Last edited:

Dobba

Nothing unexpected in the Forde report it's exactly what we all knew was going on at the time. Most of those who dismissed these things at the time post a lot less in the politics thread strangely.

It's difficult to back a party that would rather sabotage itself rather than represent the type of policies the centre left want.

Funny that, isn't it?

Frosty

I get email updates from Ann Black after every NEC meeting. I have lightly edited her message for ease of consumption. Looks like we will have to wait for Conference for a policy offering:

National Executive Committee Meeting, 19 July 2022

The NEC was back on Zoom, this time because of climate crisis rather than Covid, trapped in our individual sweltering attics and offices. After more false sightings than the Loch Ness monster the Forde report, an inquiry into the leaked internal report of 2020, had finally slipped into the general secretary’s inbox. The NEC agreed unanimously to publish it, and to hold a preliminary discussion later in the meeting.

Missing in Action

Deputy leader Angela Rayner gave a vivid account of the Last Days of Boris Johnson, ranting about Brexit, partying at Chequers and joyriding in fighter jets while his underlings chaired Cobra meetings on the heat emergency. References to the deep state working against him were going beyond delusional to full Trump. With the government collapsing the long-promised employment bill and protection for the sacked P&O workers could disappear, though the Tories were using statutory instruments to make it easier to bring in agency workers and raising the damages that employers could claim from unions if a strike was judged unlawful. She was working with party chair Anneliese Dodds on the Stronger Together policy review, and had visited Tolpuddle and the Durham Miners Gala and hosted the LBC morning programme.

NEC members praised her feisty performances. Tory tactics were clear: misrepresent Labour policies on crime and national security, create divides on wedge issues including Brexit and trans rights, and portray the party’s relationship with trade unions as merely transactional rather than historical and organic. They would stay silent on their own transactional relations with rich donors and cronyism over Covid contracts. All their leadership candidates were promising billions of pounds of unfunded tax cuts without admitting that massive tax cuts always meant massive cuts to public services and social security. Labour must live by our values of basic decency, and not allow our record or our intentions to be caricatured.

I asked why Labour peers abstained on free school meals for families receiving universal credit, and why Labour MPs were told not to visit picket lines. Angela explained that Labour could not vote for uncosted funding commitments, but this didn’t mean we wouldn’t feed starving children, and our next manifesto would include very positive messages. But that is a long time to wait. On the RMT strike she said the Tories wanted to make the story about Labour on picket lines, but Louise Haigh was doing an excellent job of putting responsibility where it belonged, with the government. Angela also supported calls for a legal maximum temperature at work, as well as a legal minimum.

General Secretary’s Report

David Evans was preparing for the next general election, set by the NEC as his priority. The local elections and Wakefield showed progress, and a taskforce structure would further sharpen focus. In October the party had to leave the London headquarters at Southside and were searching for alternative premises. Fundraising was going well, with more donations in the pipeline. Fifteen thousand members had joined since his last report and overall membership was about 415,000 including about 33,000 in arrears. A gradual downward trend was normal between general elections. He recognised the continuing stress on local roleholders following the cyber-incident, and was confident that the new membership system would deliver a first-class service. Due to lack of time a presentation on its development was deferred to a separate NEC briefing, hopefully soon.

I expressed growing concern about the decision to reorganise CLPs from 1 January 2023. The new boundaries will not be published till October 2022, CLPs may not have access to membership data till February 2023, and party offices will be closed for two weeks over Christmas. David suggested that reorganisation might take place in stages, which alarmed me even more. Even CLPs with few changes may lose wards to new constituencies which do not yet exist, leaving some members homeless, and entitlement to conference delegates is based on membership at 31 December. Parliamentary selection is also affected, with a general election before July 2023 fought on current boundaries, and after that on new boundaries. Apparently the boundary review sub-committee had not thought about practicalities.

On trigger ballots David pointed out that rule changes in 2021 made it harder for MPs to face open selections, and said that all complaints were investigated. Members noted that MPs were exempt from trigger ballots while pregnant or on maternity leave and the NEC should consider extending the principle to MPs suffering from ill-health. I support this. David reiterated that the party took all allegations of sexual harassment extremely seriously, and he would reply to recent letters from former staff.

Other members highlighted the load on regional teams, cut back under the Organise To Win restructure. Staff were so stretched that a single by-election could halt all other work. Deploying the new trainee organisers might alleviate some pressures, and enhancing communications and field operations would continue the move towards a voter-focused party. The taskforces would report regularly to the NEC. David also said the party was aware of the need for Covid safety at conference. Finally campaign improvement boards, agreed at the last meeting after some controversy, were currently working with 13 Labour councils.

Cleaning Up Britain

Keir Starmer echoed Angela Rayner on the chaos at the top of the Tory party. Their leadership candidates had pulled out of more TV debates, worried about giving further attack lines to Labour, and their fantasy economics increased from £200 billion of unfunded spending commitments in the morning to £330 billion by the same evening. They had lost all sense of purpose, and a fresh start for Britain, after 12 years of Tory failure, needed a new government. Labour would boost the economy across the UK, revitalise public services and unite the country. Our ambitious plans included £28 billion a year to meet climate change commitments through new green jobs, equipping everyone with the skills they need and resolving post-Brexit problems around science, security, trade and the Northern Ireland protocol. Gordon Brown’s proposals would call for power to be devolved to the people and away from Whitehall. Due diligence in choosing candidates would avoid the disgrace which had brought down so many Tory MPs.

After he and Angela were elected in 2020 Keir’s priorities had been changing the party, and then showing that the Tories were unfit to govern. The third stage was answering the question “If not them, then why us?” and at this year’s conference he would set out plans for a fresh start for Britain. Finally he warned us against complacency, though personally I am not in the least complacent.

Members praised Keir’s principled stand in promising to resign if found to have broken Covid rules, and were pleased that all present had been cleared of wrongdoing. They asked Labour to talk in normal language: pay and jobs, not “rebooting the economy”. The Welsh representative described Gordon Brown’s initiative as a really open process, though this process is not known to me as chair of the national policy forum or as a member of the policy commission which covers constitutional matters. On climate change Keir said that Britain should be leading on renewables and new developments such as hydrogen planes, contrasted with the Tory leadership candidates who are all trying to weasel out of net zero targets. Members understood his position on Brexit but there were huge problems for touring musicians and performers, and Labour has pledged to tackle these. And Labour had to look at fairer taxation of unearned as well as earned income, and deal with non-domiciled tax avoiders.

Which Side Are You On?

Many NEC members returned to relations between the leadership and the unions, with more industrial action likely across public and private sectors. Workers had endured years of real-terms pay cuts, inflation was soaring and energy prices were out of control. CWU members in BT were balloting for the first time in 35 years, and with profits of £1.3 billion and executive pay at £3.5 million, employees on £20,000 a year simply did not believe the company could not afford a decent rise. During the meeting Andy Kerr of the CWU announced the results of the Royal Mail strike ballot: a turnout of 77% and a 97.5% Yes vote. Firefighters had turned down a 2% offer and two and a half million public sector workers – nurses, teachers, armed forces, local council staff – were also likely to reject offers well below inflation. Strikes were always a last resort, and successive Conservative governments had made the threshold very high, but when employers refused to negotiate, affiliated and non-affiliated unions expected Labour to stand shoulder to shoulder with working people.

Keir Starmer emphasised his commitment as a lifelong union member, citing Labour’s plans for full employment rights from day one, and the conciliatory, co-operative approach which a Labour government would take. He understood the frustration of falling pay for those who couldn’t pay their bills. The question was not whether Labour supported the unions, but how to express that support as a government in waiting. The Tories wanted the rail strikes to go ahead, so they could foment division on a wedge issue. But the danger, through a long, hot summer, is of driving a wedge between the shadow cabinet and the many members, activists and supporters who want visible support. The Scottish leader Anas Sarwar met RMT strikers without apparent loss of credibility. Keir did, however, say that David Lammy was right to apologise to BA workers who were not seeking a pay rise, just restoration to pre-pandemic levels.

And So To Forde

The report’s release at noon meant that by 3 p.m. everyone interested had been able to skim it except the NEC members who would decide its fate, and Twitter was alive with snippets and counter-snippets from its 138 pages. Full disclosure: I have not read it. I will do so as soon as this report is finished, and may have more to say later. For anyone who has not yet discovered it, see here .

Staff ran through the chapter headings: Foreword, Introduction, Terms of reference, Main allegations, Disciplinary processes, Culture, structure and practices, Recommendations. The main allegations in the leaked internal report were unusual factionalism, its impact on complaints of anti-semitism, its impact on other areas, the 2017 general election, poor recruitment and management practices, and racism and sexism. There were 165 recommendations, and these would take time to work through. No-one now disputes that disciplinary procedures were not fit for purpose, and the EHRC (equality and human rights commission) report on anti-semitism led to significant changes backed by the force of law. Other recommendations may have been overtaken by changes since the events described, dating back to 2015, and since the Forde inquiry was established in 2020.

My first impression, and this may change, is that Forde contains few surprises and could easily have been written two years ago. It begins by noting that “the leaked report is unarguably a slanted document; it represents another front in the factional warfare which it describes and by its nature added nothing to the supposed ‘kindness in politics’ that the party purported to be moving towards” before going on to analyse its claims. It condemns WhatsApp messages which reveal “deplorably factional and insensitive, and at times discriminatory, attitudes” expressed by many senior staff. My concerns about the 2016 Labour leadership election, as the then chair of the Disputes Panel, are quoted at length and available in full here . However it was reasonable to adopt a defensive strategy in the 2017 general election campaign where Labour started 20 points behind in the polls, staff did not work to lose the election, and reallocation of funds to additional target seats would have had to be “impossibly cost-effective and so extraordinarily precisely targeted to make any significant difference to individual results let alone the overall result of the general election”.

NEC members made a range of comments, all stressing their desire to move forward but not helped by the Labour spokesperson who tweeted that “Keir Starmer is now in control and has made real progress in ridding the party of the destructive factionalism and unacceptable culture that did so much damage.” My concern was what we do next. Forde was intended to draw a line, not to relitigate past arguments. The delay did not help, and it was six years to the day since the NEC sat at Southside in the second of two fraught meetings about the 2016 leadership election, the most poisonous time I lived through. I proposed a special NEC meeting after we had digested the report, to speak fully and frankly and decide which recommendations were still relevant and whether and how to implement them. Unless this is resolved soon it will overshadow conference and Labour’s fresh start for Britain, and will be used (to quote JC) “for political reasons by our opponents inside and outside the party, as well as by much of the media”.

----

If there is interest I can post the summaries of future NEC meetings too when I receive them.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
I get email updates from Ann Black after every NEC meeting. I have lightly edited her message for ease of consumption. Looks like we will have to wait for Conference for a policy offering:
Very interesting, thank you, I have registered for her reports too. I wouldn't have expected any policy before conference anyway personally.

415,000 current members is better than I expected.

F-Red

The 2010 are back!

I mean he's right to an extent. My other half is in the NHS, and my sister in law is a matron at Wythenshawe. From their experience there's no way to reduce waiting times at the moment without recruiting more staff, either overseas or domestically. Both will take time, the latter arguably longer (5 years plus) the former quicker but nothing of impact in 12 months. If there's capacity within the private healthcare sector, which was used during the pandemic, to reduce waiting list times than it's worth exploring to address the issue.