Keir Starmer Labour Leader

Herman Toothrot

Turns out the UK is actually mint and nothing major needs to be done. If you're voting for this guy you're an absolute mug.

In before the 'well, actually this is an excellent, grown-up strategy' comments.

Kaos

Turns out the UK is actually mint and nothing major needs to be done. If you're voting for this guy you're an absolute mug.

Yep it's clear what the country needs now more than ever is more of the same.

Dr. StrangeHate

Isn't it better for Keir to lie right now and then drop all of his pledges after he gets elected. I don't get why he is doing this now.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
Isn't it better for Keir to lie right now and then drop all of his pledges after he gets elected. I don't get why he is doing this now.
I think at least part of the electoral calculation is to get the left continuously mad at the party in order to bolster its right wing bona fides. Outrage from folk like me make them appear more electable to moderate right wingers sick of Tory infighting and the blatant corruption and ineptitude. I reckon they rightly calculate that despite the anger they can also rely on retaining the vast majority of their left wing base because everyone is so sick to death of the Tories they'll even vote for the anaemic bullshit Labour now offers.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Doesn't make sense. If you can't forecast what's going to happen three years down the line , how can you forecast what's going to happen five or ten years down the line.
So when does it become possible to start spending the money?

2021, what happened then? The B word hasn't been mentioned. Have they taken into account how the B word is going to make matters even worse over the next few years?
Why is the USA and the EU spending considerably more than even Labour's original pledge on Green policies?

Bert_

Am I missing something here? How is he able to stand in a British election? He seems like a good person so I have no issue if he can but it just seems weird that it would be allowed.
He's South African, although he has been in the UK for a while so probably has residency. Doesn't matter either way as South Africa is in the Commonwealth. Any Commonwealth citizen can stand as a candidate and vote in UK elections.

Anyone from Ireland too if you fancy it.

Raven

He's South African, although he has been in the UK for a while so probably has residency. Doesn't matter either way as South Africa is in the Commonwealth. Any Commonwealth citizen can stand as a candidate and vote in UK elections.

Anyone from Ireland too if you fancy it.
Is that the case even if he's held office in another country?

Some day perhaps.

Fluctuation0161

No. I am not going to pretend that labour is perfect, but I am so scared of another Tory government I am willing to vote labour. I would rather protest a labour government I dislike than have what we have now (and for the record I think labour in their current guise are nowhere near as nasty, incompetent or corrupt as this Tory government are).

If the Tory's get in it will legitimise everything they have done so far and they will go even harder and that terrifies me.
If Labour get in under Starmer with no ideas, only U turns and no improvement to peoples living standards. Then they will lose the following GE and we'll be locked into another Tory government cycle long term as voters will have lost faith in Labour. That terrifies me.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
No. I am not going to pretend that labour is perfect, but I am so scared of another Tory government I am willing to vote labour. I would rather protest a labour government I dislike than have what we have now (and for the record I think labour in their current guise are nowhere near as nasty, incompetent or corrupt as this Tory government are).

If the Tory's get in it will legitimise everything they have done so far and they will go even harder and that terrifies me.

Tbf I think it’s so unlikely that the Tories will win the next election that it’s actually a lot less imperative people vote specifically for Labour this time around than it was 5 years ago, when it was readily apparent they would probably lose, so really gaining as many votes as they could in the faint hope of a coalition (that would’ve diluted many of the things people were worried about Corbyn coming to power, or at the very least reduced the amount of Tory gains) was a much more urgent thing for the ‘disillusioned’ to compromise on.

Of course many of them didn’t do this because the notion of voting on principles and having clear and distinct red lines, or voting entirely on a one-issue ideological tract (that was obviously going to be made worse under the Tories anyway) was still back then considered an incredibly sensible and even righteous thing to do, even when they were being called Tory enablers by the left…. Whereas now it’s obviously a sickening selfish sixth form politics indulgence again, and ‘Tory enabling’ as a pejorative is back on the menu boys!

As far as I can see, if people are really that disillusioned, there has probably never been a more reasonably comfortable time to feck off to the Greens or Independents, in the pretty safe assumption that Labour will indeed win, but hope that it’s just not with quite enough of a mandate to fully justify their quasi-austerity doctrine or climate cowardice, and hopefully have to make some concessions to other progressive parties if they want to pass anything big.

Even this is unlikely considering recent polling, so I genuinely don’t see why anyone should be that annoyed by it. Only places with very tight Tory/Labour margins should be any sort of obligation.