Keir Starmer Labour Leader

Untied

Look I personally think it's extremely cool that the Food Standards Agency will be able to authorise rape and that Labour isn't opposing that. That's the kind of sensible opposition I wanted.

Offsideagain

Mr.Starmer is just another manufactured politician with an outdated ideology drummed into him by his parents. Where else does this stuff work? Doesn’t even work in the home of the left wing, well either home of the left wing, Russia or China. He always looks like a rabbit in the headlights of the media to me and is not a convincing opponent for Boris. Boris is such an easy target and Starmer misses every time. The bad news then is the Tories May be in for sometime.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
I’ve actually noticed more mainstream centrist commentators pushing increasingly sceptical tones about Starmer’s strategy of barely criticising or opposing government policies recently, including on this most recent bill. With there rumoured to be plans to savagely cut benefits, can anyone see Starmer having the backbone or principles to forcefully oppose and denounce it? I’d be surprised myself.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
His polling is great, is the best Labour polling since Boris became PM, and matches Labour polling between the 2017 election and (roughly) the 2019 EU election.

Smores

The one area that i thought Labour might be able to weaponise was climate change action but it looks like Boris is coming out with an actual plan. We've only heard generic soundbites from Starmer so far.

Untied

The one area that i thought Labour might be able to weaponise was climate change action but it looks like Boris is coming out with an actual plan. We've only heard generic soundbites from Starmer so far.
Doesn't poll well in the Red Wall, so it's not a priority

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
With Covid, Brexit, massive national debt, the NHS, housing issues etc...climate change is way down the priority list for many working class voters. Focusing on that will make Labour look out of touch with the working class majority's actual worries.

Dobba

Global warming has promised to stop for 4 years whilst Sir Keith works out what his policy on it is.

Smores

With Covid, Brexit, massive national debt, the NHS, housing issues etc...climate change is way down the priority list for many working class voters. Focusing on that will make Labour look out of touch with the working class majority's actual worries.
That post just makes me depressed for so many reasons.

I'm fairly sure the working class like jobs though even if they are Green.

Jippy

Staff
That post just makes me depressed for so many reasons.

I'm fairly sure the working class like jobs though even if they are Green.
It is depressing and I say that as someone who has done some work on ESG investing, including helping highlight bad practice. I just think Labour needs to focus on real fundamentals in the next election and not major on green issues- filter them in later. There is a core of voters who are passionate about environmental issues, but I've seen first-hand at various major publishers in different countries, the difficulties in getting interest in the subject. I just really don't think it will be the vote winner you think it will- it will just preach to the converted.

Untied

He just doesn't hate Notherners enough really.
I'm not really sure what your point here is. It's literally why Labour under Starmer aren't prioritising climate change. If you think that's good because low information voters in the North don't care about it, fine.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
I'm not really sure what your point here is. It's literally why Labour under Starmer aren't prioritising climate change. If you think that's good because low information voters in the North don't care about it, fine.
That's the trouble with your red wall, they're just so low information.

Foxbatt

He is just a tory in the labour party. I don't think even Blair would allow license to kill? I may be wrong. It's a fecking disgrace.

Smores

He is just a tory in the labour party. I don't think even Blair would allow license to kill? I may be wrong. It's a fecking disgrace.
Listen Foxbatt if that's even your real name, if you're not from the red wall then your opinion doesn't matter. I think that's how it works anyway.

Untied

That's the trouble with your red wall, they're just so low information.
So you think Brexit was a good decision driven by well informed voters?

Edit: I think this discussion isn't going to go anywhere. I think the major opposition party should be standing up for as radical action on climate change as possible. I will say that the idea we can stop catastrophic climate change is pretty deluded given the global situation, and that perhaps more focus should be on adaptation. But even if that pessimistic take is correct we still need to get to net zero asap. I don't really have any time for arguments that disagree with that on the basis that it doesn't appeal to Stoke on Trent.

Last edited:

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
So you think Brexit was a good decision driven by well informed voters?
I think the far left have an obsession with categorising and labelling people instead of treating them as individuals, and have a particular hatred for the old, northerners, and the working class. How they ever expect to gain their votes when their contempt is so obvious is beyond me.

As for Brexit, I voted for a party with a Remain leader, that campaigned against Brexit in every election, and voted consistently against Brexit in parliament. As such a well-informed voter, did you?

Dobba

I think the far left have an obsession with categorising and labelling people instead of treating them as individuals, and have a particular hatred for the old, northerners, and the working class. How they ever expect to gain their votes when their contempt is so obvious is beyond me.

As for Brexit, I voted for a party with a Remain leader, that campaigned against Brexit in every election, and voted consistently against Brexit in parliament. As such a well-informed voter, did you?
:lol:

Fluctuation0161

I tend to agree. This strategy of no opposition, even against some very damaging legislation is getting ridiculous.

Choose your battles, yes. But at least choose the important ones.

Untied

I don't think any of that is true. I just think that the Labour Party should be trying to lead on an issue like climate change. If the argument is that it's an issue of low salience to those voters like @Jippy says, then the conclusion isn't 'Labour shouldn't be radical on it' – it means Labour can be radical on it without it deciding those peoples' votes. You just have to make sure you communicate the issues they do care about just as loudly and clearly.

Untied

And apologies for the double post, but it's also ironic that Starmer who was advocating a position on Brexit that treated the votes of those people with contempt is now justifying, for example, failing to oppose the Gambling Commission being able to permit torture on the basis that Labour needs to appeal to the concerns of those same voters (in this case on national security).

Foxbatt

I always thought Starmer a Tory when he was in charge of Crown Prosecution. I guess the Labour Party needs real leaders to get back from the brink. Why is it that good people do not come out? We had Blair who won but got involved in an illegal war, Brown who lost it and then Ed and Jeremy who never made the cut and now Starmer who is sinking the ship. All with ridiculous opponents like Cameron, May and BoJo.

Jippy

Staff
I don't think any of that is true. I just think that the Labour Party should be trying to lead on an issue like climate change. If the argument is that it's an issue of low salience to those voters like @Jippy says, then the conclusion isn't 'Labour shouldn't be radical on it' – it means Labour can be radical on it without it deciding those peoples' votes. You just have to make sure you communicate the issues they do care about just as loudly and clearly.
I disagree. If Labour make climate change a central plank of policy, I think it will turn off parts of the electorate.
i'm not saying ignore it, just don't make it front and centre. For me, they should focus on fewer core messages and then build out from there.

You seem to think 'being radical' on climate change is a free hit. In reality the radical change needed will probably require tax hikes and a fundamental overhaul of power generation, transport and infrastructure. All very expensive with a slow pay-off period.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
#ResignStarmer. :lol:

Seriously who the hell would actually replace him who'd have a hope in hell of winning next election (or at least cutting the gap significantly). People won't be voting en masse for Rebecca Long Bailey that's for sure.

Untied

I disagree. If Labour make climate change a central plank of policy, I think it will turn off parts of the electorate.
i'm not saying ignore it, just don't make it front and centre. For me, they should focus on fewer core messages and then build out from there.

You seem to think 'being radical' on climate change is a free hit. In reality the radical change needed will probably require tax hikes and a fundamental overhaul of power generation, transport and infrastructure. All very expensive with a slow pay-off period.
It has to be done at some point though. I'm a real climate pessimist – I think we'll be comfortably past 2º of warming by 2050 and who knows what that world looks like. But unless we (as a species) are literally going to make large scale civilisation impossible, we need to stop emitting more CO2 by the middle of this century, and it can't keep being kicked on to the next election cycle. If Labour doesn't want to make that argument then they are going to find their vote share eroded by from the other direction by the Greens.

Dobba

Seriously who the hell would actually replace him who'd have a hope in hell of winning next election (or at least cutting the gap significantly). People won't be voting en masse for Rebecca Long Bailey that's for sure.
Any other leader would be 15-20 points ahead.

At least that was the line a few months back, might have gone up to 25 by now.

neverdie

The problem with Starmer's abstention is that if it's a tactic then it's a bad one. You can't suddenly oppose measures you clearly didn't oppose at the time just because you have a healthy lead in the polls. There's nothing to suggest that Starmer is abstaining for any reason other than he agrees with the Tories' course of action but doesn't want to give them a win by voting for. Or if he's abstaining because he doesn't want to devalue the currency of opposition by constantly opposing government measures, then it's fair to ask what government policies are worth opposing? If this is what a Starmer government would look like then an opposition that can't win, like Corbyn was to many people, is a better idea because at least it actually opposes.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Any other leader would be 15-20 points ahead.

At least that was the line a few months back, might have gone up to 25 by now.
Really, Jess Phillips? Emily Thornberry? Burgon?!! (can't really think of any serious male candidates as Jon Ashworth dosen't seem to be landing many punches on Hancock who will be sacrifical lamb post Covid).

Do like Angela Rayner though, thought she was pretty good against Johnson at PMQs the other week. Will be a serious contender post 2025 if Labour are still 50-100 seats off.