Music Kendrick Lamar | New album 13th May 2022

b82REZ

An 8 track EP has leaked with tracks apparently cut from GKMC. Guy who leaked it is apparently going to leak more tracks next week.

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
Dunno how I feel about this. It's one thing to leak an album that was always going to be released, but as someone who writes music that feels great one day and sounds like shit the next, leaking stuff Kendrick didn't want us to hear feels wrong somehow? I wouldn't want someone sniffing round demos I've never released and putting them out to the public.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I wonder if it’s going to have a Motown/jazz influence based on the name.

Kung Fu Kenny is dead. Mr. Morale is here now.

Pickle85

Really excited. His back catalogue to date is brilliant so hoping for big things. Personally didn't like Baby Keem album so hopefully it's a class or three above but can't wait to hear it.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Damn that must have taken a while to make. Wonder if he needed permission to do some of those?

Love the sound of it though. Cannot wait for the album.

Pickle85

woah, that’s a big claim

don’t think he’s even in my top 10
It sure is here! There are rappers that I prefer to listen to but just on lyricism and flow i think he's got a really good claim. His content is right up there with the best and he's so good technically.

Tarrou

It sure is here! There are rappers that I prefer to listen to but just on lyricism and flow i think he's got a really good claim. His content is right up there with the best and he's so good technically.
so many of the greats can say they moved things forward in some way

Kendrick is amazing lyrically and technically but can he make that claim? Am I overlooking something?

I’m not saying he has to have that to be top 5 but it really elevates the other greats compared to him in my opinion

I wouldn’t have Kanye in my top 10 but even he moved things forward in terms of music production, and I’d argue he’s ahead of Kendrick atm

but let’s see how good this new album is

Pickle85

I'd have him alongside Biggie, Nas, Jay Z and Tupac (i personally prefer Black Thought to Pac but in terms of legacy Pac obviously takes it).

so many of the greats can say they moved things forward in some way

Kendrick is amazing lyrically and technically but can he make that claim? Am I overlooking something?

I’m not saying he has to have that to be top 5 but it really elevates the other greats compared to him in my opinion

I wouldn’t have Kanye in my top 10 but even he moved things forward in terms of music production, and I’d argue he’s ahead of Kendrick atm

but let’s see how good this new album is
I take your point, but I'd say that Kanye is for sure a top ten producer but not in the conversation as a rapper for me. As for moving things on, I think he's influencing a lot of this generation and the next in terms of style and lyrically he's head and shoulders above anyone else out there atm.

lsd

The Oracle
He's easily above 2pac, Biggie and Jay z in terms of pure quality for me.

Always felt Biggie was very overrated while Pac just was not that good a rapper though he had so much charisma.

Jay was always a bit too pop for my taste. Nas had had his ups and downs but the way he is turning out quality album after quality album now after the career he has had puts him at number one then it's Kendrick

Pickle85

He's easily above 2pac, Biggie and Jay z in terms of pure quality for me.

Always felt Biggie was very overrated while Pac just was not that good a rapper though he had so much charisma.

Jay was always a bit too pop for my taste. Nas had had his ups and downs but the way he is turning out quality album after quality album now after the career he has had puts him at number one then it's Kendrick
I'm a huge Biggie fan, tbf. I agree that in terms of pure lyricism he's not on Kendrick's level but he had a lot else going for him. I agree on Pac...think he's very overrated, though his social commentary makes him more 'serious' than other rappers like Jay etc. How do you like Black Thought? I reckon that man is amazing.

lsd

The Oracle
I'm a huge Biggie fan, tbf. I agree that in terms of pure lyricism he's not on Kendrick's level but he had a lot else going for him. I agree on Pac...think he's very overrated, though his social commentary makes him more 'serious' than other rappers like Jay etc. How do you like Black Thought? I reckon that man is amazing.

I have all the Roots albums and I like them though maybe he just isn't that varied if you know what I mean.

Sometimes I like to see him switch it up and do something different but don't think I've heard that from him.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I'd have him alongside Biggie, Nas, Jay Z and Tupac (i personally prefer Black Thought to Pac but in terms of legacy Pac obviously takes it).
Why is 2 Pac's legacy the biggest?

I've never liked rap, just curious. Also, does Outkast not make anyones lists, or are they more hip-hop and not rap? I liked them maybe for that reason.

Pickle85

I have all the Roots albums and I like them though maybe he just isn't that varied if you know what I mean.

Sometimes I like to see him switch it up and do something different but don't think I've heard that from him.
Yeah I know what you mean...he doesn't have the range that some do. Such a recognizable voice though and he's a really smart man.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff

I've never liked rap, just curious. Also, does Outkast not make anyones lists, or are they more hip-hop and not rap? I liked them maybe for that reason.
Outkast are in my top 5 easily. I don't really care for who is the 'greatest' as it's all subjective and I just go by who I like and listen to the most.

Pickle85

I meant Pac's legacy is bigger than Black Thoughts, not the others. Sorry, wasn't v clear! I think Pac's legacy is kinda wrapped up in how he lived and the mythology surrounding his death. Also I think his social commentary gives him a layer that other rappers don't have.

Re Outkast, I imagine Andre 3000 would make a lot of top ten lists. I've personally never been massive on them though I respect what they do. Southern rap generally isn't for me.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Outkast are in my top 5 easily. I don't really care for who is the 'greatest' as it's all subjective and I just go by who I like and listen to the most.
Like I said, I don't like rap/R&B/hip hop, but an album each of two artists, I did:
- Black Messiah by D'Angelo - feck genre, this is just outstanding music. Didn't try out the rest of his discography.
- Malibu by Anderson .Paak - not the level of the above, but still very good.

I guess those would fall under R&B?

Looking back at my younger years (!), Outkast definitely had some quality stuff. Just the emphasis on melodic parts is more my thing.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Like I said, I don't like rap/R&B/hip hop, but an album each of two artists, I did:
- Black Messiah by D'Angelo - feck genre, this is just outstanding music. Didn't try out the rest of his discography.
- Malibu by Anderson .Paak - not the level of the above, but still very good.

I guess those would fall under R&B?

Looking back at my younger years (!), Outkast definitely had some quality stuff. Just the emphasis on melodic parts is more my thing.
Yeah Paak is more R&B but personally I find it's all blended so much now it doesn't really matter. He's also Hip-Hop and he also raps on other albums.

b82REZ

Kendrick is easily top 5 currently, and arguably ever. His lyrics, flow and musical direction is unlike anyone else.

I find Pac and Biggie overrated. Their legacies are what elevate them. I can't help but feel if they'd lived their impact wouldn't be as nearly overstated.

Nas has a handful of good albums, but overall he has more misses than hits. Hova is the better of the two NY rappers, but he disappeared up his own arse about a decade a go.

Eminem is still great, despite some atrociously bad albums midway through his career.

Never been the biggest Outkast fan.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Kendrick is easily top 5 currently, and arguably ever. His lyrics, flow and musical direction is unlike anyone else.

I find Pac and Biggie overrated. Their legacies are what elevate them. I can't help but feel if they'd lived their impact wouldn't be as nearly overstated.

Nas has a handful of good albums, but overall he has more misses than hits. Hova is the better of the two NY rappers, but he disappeared up his own arse about a decade a go.

Eminem is still great, despite some atrociously bad albums midway through his career.

Never been the biggest Outkast fan.
He unironically posted something with minions in yesterday so he's out unfortunately.