Music Kendrick Lamar | New album 13th May 2022

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Wish he didn’t use the high pitched voice

Conor

Thank you for your subjective opinion.
Considering some of his songs will go down as the biggest hip hop songs of his era, I would really like to know how you've determined that all the production is average, maybe you just don't personally like it? What is so average about it, can you give some examples of some production that is far better than it?

I've given some of his early work a relisten after my comments earlier in the thread, to be fair they are better than I remember. GKMC is a great album. I still don't rate the later stuff though.

I also made the mistake of listening to Illmatic straight afterwards.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Considering some of his songs will go down as the biggest hip hop songs of his era, I would really like to know how you've determined that all the production is average, maybe you just don't personally like it? What is so average about it, can you give some examples of some production that is far better than it?
Not all, but yeah, I don't think his songs will be remembered because of great production and beats, but mostly because of his genius work.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I've given some of his early work a relisten after my comments earlier in the thread, to be fair they are better than I remember. GKMC is a great album. I still don't rate the later stuff though.

I also made the mistake of listening to Illmatic straight afterwards.
Good of you to do that rather than double down on your opinion though. Wish more people did that.

Dante

Average bang

My first time seeing this, but it looks like Kendrick rated his own albums (prior to the new release) in order of: Damn, GKMC, TPAB, Section.80.

Superunknown

This album. :drool:

Really enjoying it. It does get better on repeated listens. N95 is a huge song and I'm really enjoying how that's put together. My other personal favourites are Die Hard, Purple Hearts, Mother I Sober (what a song, fecking hell), and Mirror. In truth, there's not a lot to dislike here.

We Cry Together is one that is going to take some getting used to. Not a personal favourite, but that might change over time.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Finally listened to this. There's a 3/4 track run at the latter half which rivals his best yet. Mother I Sober the favourite so far. Always happy to see Sampha involved.

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
I've listened to it a few more times since the weekend and for me it's one of the best albums of the last 5 years. So many good songs, some for chilling like Rich Spirit or some really hard hitting ones.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Yeah I'm just not getting it with Kendrick. Never really been a big fan, but was excited for his new album. Went back and listened through all his older albums on repeat for a good while and there are definitely some songs I like, but a lot more I just find mediocre.

His new album didn't grip me at all, listened to it a on repeat for about 4 or 5 hours and still can't get into it.

I think his flow and voice might just be too jarring for me, plus the fact his beats don't have that melodic flow or that real bouncy gangster beat either. He sort of hits the middle of the road for me which just isn't enjoyable.

I don't doubt he's got lyrical skill and each to their own, but he certainly isn't anywhere near my top 10.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Yeah I'm just not getting it with Kendrick. Never really been a big fan, but was excited for his new album. Went back and listened through all his older albums on repeat for a good while and there are definitely some songs I like, but a lot more I just find mediocre.

His new album didn't grip me at all, listened to it a on repeat for about 4 or 5 hours and still can't get into it.

I think his flow and voice might just be too jarring for me, plus the fact his beats don't have that melodic flow or that real bouncy gangster beat either. He sort of hits the middle of the road for me which just isn't enjoyable.

I don't doubt he's got lyrical skill and each to their own, but he certainly isn't anywhere near my top 10.
I'm with you mate. I don't mind him and I can easily make my own album of Kendrick songs I like but I find the albums difficult to get through. I usually listen to music (these days) when I'm either running or driving and in those instances, Kendrick albums just don't do it for me. But yeah, he's talented no doubt. Just came at the wrong time for me I supposed.

With that said, 'i' is one of favourite rap songs in a long time... what a banger!

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
I'm with you mate. I don't mind him and I can easily make my own album of Kendrick songs I like but I find the albums difficult to get through. I usually listen to music (these days) when I'm either running or driving and in those instances, Kendrick albums just don't do it for me. But yeah, he's talented no doubt. Just came at the wrong time for me I supposed.

With that said, 'i' is one of favourite rap songs in a long time... what a banger!
Yeah I found myself restarting that one a couple of times. And I've got no doubt there'll be a moment a few months or years down the line were I'm loving a song only to find out it's from this album, but for me there are so many better artists around even right now.

For instance, I recently did the same with Daves new album (all alone in this together) and I absolutely loved it. Three rivers, survivors guilt, heart attack, all alone and in the fire all took me to a place that nothing on Kendricks did

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
There's not really a single song grabbing me at the moment like XXX, DNA, Humble etc from Damn.

Going to need some time to grow on me I feel.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Listened to it about 6 or 7 times now and it does definitely grow on you. A lot of lines and little bits have been in my head for the last few days.

That being said it's clearly not as good as GKMC or TPAB. If I were to rank the albums I'd probably go:

1. GKMC
2. TPAB
3. Section.80
4. MM&TBS
5. DAMN

I think as a whole it's a great listen but imo the best albums also have singles you can just pluck out and play any time, and I'm struggling with that part. I do like songs like Die Hard & Purple Hearts but they're pretty mid. The "Yeah baby" bit on Purple Hearts just feels like something that fell out of YAH from DAMN. Silent Hill also feels like it could've been on DAMN.

Then there's too many songs that only really work in the context of the album. You're not going to be adding We Cry Together, Crown, Worldwide Steppers or the Interludes to many playlists. I haven't a clue what Kodak Black is saying in his interlude.

My standouts are:

United In Grief - Think it's a great start to an album and the "I grieve different" bit has been stuck in my head for days.
N95 - Good song which is growing on me, though feel like he could have gone bigger with it.
Father Time - Possibly my favourite. Sampha is brilliant and I wish he'd make another album.
Count Me Out - Possibly the banger N95 thinks it is. Very Kanye-esque production.
Savior - One of the best songs on the album. Production is great.
Auntie Diaries - I love the relaxed beat on this. Even without the nice message on it it's good a little bop. The crescendo at the end is awesome.
Mr Morale - Not seen many talking about this one but another hard beat. Also quite Black Skinhead era Kanye.
Mother I Sober - A very 'context' of the album song but it's also just sonically very nice. Powerful too.
Mirror - Good closer.

Second half of the album is better than the first. The run from Savior onwards is great.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Pre-sale tickets live in 7 mins.

EDIT: Got tickets :D Will be the first time I've ever seen him live.

Last edited:

Bosws87

I made a conscious effort to give him a chance after writing him off because his voice just doesn't work for me.

I went through all the albums and for me i found mad city and pimp a buttefly the best of the bunch by a considerable margin.

I actually like the N95 song on the latest album, but for me i think the majority of the songs on the newest album would be better with no lyrics at all or someone else as some of the beats etc are exceptional.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
I actually like the N95 song on the latest album, but for me i think the majority of the songs on the newest album would be better with no lyrics at all or someone else as some of the beats etc are exceptional.
This is the only one I've kept going back to since the release.

M15 Red.

Purchased some Kendrick tickets this morning for the MEN arena. Rugged Man tickets for Jazz Cafe this afternoon. And Run The Jewels tickets for Victoria Warehouse tonight.

Perfect Hip Hop Hatrick.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I like probably more than 50% of his songs, but this album still not doing it with me.

Going about the first time he fecked a white bitch was probably when I turned it off. What a shite and pointless lyrics that was, or I simply don't get it. Or maybe I am simply getting too old for rap.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I like probably more than 50% of his songs, but this album still not doing it with me.

Going about the first time he fecked a white bitch was probably when I turned it off. What a shite and pointless lyrics that was, or I simply don't get it. Or maybe I am simply getting too old for rap.
You clearly don’t understand the deep lyricism of Kendrick..! :p

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.

It wasn't a throwaway lyric I believe it was about him chasing different vices in order to escape from internal pain and problems which is the overarching theme of the album.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I like about 80 per cent of the album, it's his most personal yet and I really appreciate how vulnerable he is on this. There are some tracks and some parts where they don't do it for me but after 5 or 6 listens I'd probably give it a 7.5/8.

The first time I listened I wasn't sure but when I accepted this wasn't going to be radio bangers or TPAB I began to appreciate it for what it was. There's a time and a place for this album which is not the same as his others.

I'd still place TBAP and GKMC above it but I think it's far more profound than Damn. Of course there's a time and place for DAMN, that sounds better when driving compared to this.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
United In Grief is such a good opener. He's always had great ones. Wesley's Theory, F*ck Your Ethnicity, DNA (if you don't count BLOOD).

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Yeah, I haven't gone back since the first week either and I even listened to TPAB and Section 80 in the meantime. Too much Kodak.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Yeah, I haven't gone back since the first week either and I even listened to TPAB and Section 80 in the meantime. Too much Kodak.
Like huuuuuuh

Despite really liking the album, one of my criticisms is many of the choruses are quite weak.

Baby Keems nasally singing is really annoying

Bebe

This hit pretty hard for me honestly.