g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Kepa | Most expensive kepa ever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kepa is already on of the top GKs and he can be even better. IMO the 'is all about potential' is just a premier league fans meme/mantra for people who don't know very much about him because he didn't played for a big team. They said the same things about De Gea.

Two months ago the big discussion in Spain was 'De Gea or Kepa, who should the spanish NT nº1?'

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Kepa is already on of the top GKs and he can be even better. IMO the 'is all about potential' is just a premier league fans meme/mantra for people who don't know very much about him because he didn't played for a big team. They said the same things about De Gea.

Two months ago the big discussion in Spain was 'De Gea or Kepa, who should the spanish NT nº1?'
I would imagine the Spanish fans have swung towards Kepa.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
The way they stockpile young players is not great. Some of them could spend a majority of their career on loan from Chelsea.
I really dislike what they do to young players who don't want to renew with them. It's plain extortion and they are ruining careers because of it. Solanke was sidelined for ages once he realised he wasn't going to make it there.

We need an rvn

Yes. But wanting to leave and going AWOL is a difference. You can still behave professionally. They probably had a list of a few GKs and went for the best of the bunch, and most expensive.

Better to overpay than going for someone like Butland
I agree to a BIG extent on this. Football clubs buy players for millions and in theory they can't just go on strike because they now want to leave the club. They signed a contract, simple as and thus stick to it.

On the other hand you can also argue the club could easily sell a player against their will even though they have another 3 years to run on their contract. So the club should stick with the player as they agreed the contract.

If what is true about him really wanting to be close to his kids, and I'm not sure on that as otherwise he would never have left Athletico, then how can a club or company deny someone that right?

Either way, better for us all if he's gone as he's not a half decent keeper

0le

They're deluded, but that's pretty much how any special club tv channel act. They'll be deluded by nature about the team and players.
Its not fair to claim all the presenters on there are deluded. Many are well aware of the issues and negativity surrounding United, but as part of a PR channel, they cannot state these views so easily without fear of losing their job.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
Yes. But wanting to leave and going AWOL is a difference. You can still behave professionally. They probably had a list of a few GKs and went for the best of the bunch, and most expensive
I think in a case like this it is fair enough. He has announced his intention well in advance - now a few days before the deadline, it looks like the club is not going to honour his request after all. He started with the proper means, this is what he has left.

Chelsea have only themselves to blame.

DomesticTadpole

I really dislike what they do to young players who don't want to renew with them. It's plain extortion and they are ruining careers because of it. Solanke was sidelined for ages once he realised he wasn't going to make it there.
You wonder why they go there. How many next best thing have they had who has disappeared back abroad or down the leagues. The might dominate the Youth League and cup but it really doesn't mean anything if you do not use any of the players. It is a mirage.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
I think in a case like this it is fair enough. He has announced his intention well in advance - now a few days before the deadline, it looks like the club is not going to honour his request after all. He started with the proper means, this is what he has left.
When did he do that? Just after the World Cup he said this
"I will be coming back, for sure, and I will see what they want and how they say it.

"Obviously with this World Cup, I think what was on the table obviously is different than what I can have, maybe."

He's not said anything about a transfer since.

I would imagine the Spanish fans have swung towards Kepa.
A Marca poll carried out at the weekend which asked readers which goalkeeper should start for La Roja had 160,000 votes cast, with Athletic Bilbao's Kepa Arrizabalaga receiving 49 percent to De Gea's 41 percent.

But it wasn't a trustworthy poll because people were angry after the De Gea's howler and also because many spanish fans are just like english fans, they think La Liga players are the best and they don't know many things about other league players.

Anyway, my point is that Kepa is a great goalkeeper and he will surprise many pundits.

DomesticTadpole

A Marca poll carried out at the weekend which asked readers which goalkeeper should start for La Roja had 160,000 votes cast, with Athletic Bilbao's Kepa Arrizabalaga receiving 49 percent to De Gea's 41 percent.

But it wasn't a trustworthy poll because people were angry after the De Gea's howler and also because many spanish fans are just like english fans, they think La Liga players are the best and they don't know many things about other league players.

Anyway, my point is that Kepa is a great goalkeeper and he will surprise many pundits.
Kepa now being in the PL might get them watching. I agree Kepa is good. I am a United fan first, but Bilbao are my Spanish interest, so not too happy he is going as it weaken them.

Wow.

Great deal for Real Madrid. Massive gamble for Chelsea. Will put to bed any DDG rumours. Takes pressure off of Allison even before he’s played a game.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
When did he do that? Just after the World Cup he said this
"I will be coming back, for sure, and I will see what they want and how they say it.

"Obviously with this World Cup, I think what was on the table obviously is different than what I can have, maybe."

He's not said anything about a transfer since.
I haven't paid close attention, but I thought this has been an open secret for a while now.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Do Athletic even care about the money they receive for players? They can hardly buy anybody with this with their Basque only policy as there is only a small group of players that they are eligible to buy.

DomesticTadpole

Do Athletic even care about the money they receive for players? They can hardly buy anybody with this with their Basque only policy as there is only a small group of players that they are eligible to buy.
Don't think they do as such, which is why they can be difficult to deal with. I have said elsewhere that I doubt they really expected someone to come along and pay the asking price. This will really have caught them offguard

Acole9

Outstanding
Chelsea selling a world class goalkeeper for pittance and buying Spain's third choice for a world record! This is why we haven't bought anymore players, the stupid overpricing of players who aren't even top notch. I've said it a load of times, something has got to give, these over inflated fees are not healthy for the game.

Maestro14

OHKO'd a shiny Electrike

Luckhurst seems to have gone full meltdown on us. :D
What happened to the 'Pep vs Money' narrative from only 8 months ago? First we were spending too much money for "poor" City to compete with. Now we're not spending enough?

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
They have soften recently to selling players though.

Compare how Llorente and Martinez had to leave to more recent departures.

Ultimately I do think they care. If they didn't they would simply put Madrid like clauses in all their players.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
Betis' did it.

And they had the same policy.

There was uproar a few years ago when a player that was hardly Basque played for them. Those kinds of creative arrangements will occur in the future .
I am confused.

Betis is an Andalusian club on the other side of the country from the Basque country who has never had such a policy as long as I've known them?

B20

Supports
Liverpool
"open secret" is a bit different from him "announcing his intentions". The only thing he announced that he was going to do was return to Chelsea, which he has not.
Public announcements aside, I am assuming he's not made a secret of it to the club, given what's been floating in the media.

Nick7

They have soften recently to selling players though.

Compare how Llorente and Martinez had to leave to more recent departures.

Ultimately I do think they care. If they didn't they would simply put Madrid like clauses in all their players.
Like who? Most players that they want to keep, other teams have to trigger the release clauses. Like Kepa. Like Martinez. That hasn't changed.

Nick7

I am confused.

Betis is an Andalusian club on the other side of the country from the Basque country who has never had such a policy as long as I've known them?
He’s thinking of Sociedad. They had a similar policy for about 20 years from the 60's to '89. Bit different from Athletic who have had the policy since 1912

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Chelsea selling a world class goalkeeper for pittance and buying Spain's third choice for a world record! This is why we haven't bought anymore players, the stupid overpricing of players who aren't even top notch. I've said it a load of times, something has got to give, these over inflated fees are not healthy for the game.
It's not a price, I really don't get why people can't understand that. Athletic aren't willing to sell at all, so the only way to have him is by buying his contract.

louvega

he's an average gk, not sure why they want to spend so much

B20

Supports
Liverpool
He’s thinking of Sociedad. They had a similar policy for about 20 years from the 60's to '89. Bit different from Athletic who have had the policy since 1912
They've had foreign players (albeit not many) for decades as well...

edit. your edit filled in the details. :-/

DomesticTadpole

It's not a price, I really don't get why people can't understand that. Athletic aren't willing to sell at all, so the only way to have him is by buying his contract.
As you say that is why they put such a high price on him. Pity he didn't go to Real, what would Courtois have done then?

They have signed PSG defender Yuri for 24€ million and last season they bought Iñigo Martinez for 32€ million.
Their market limitations makes them overpay for players.

Acole9

Outstanding
Well if it's not a price then what is it then? They don't have to pay the buyout clause do they? He signed a long contract with the club not that long ago and had the opportunity to go to Real Madrid, just doesn't make sense.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Well if it's not a price then what is it then? They don't have to pay the buyout clause do they? He signed a long contract with the club not that long ago and had the opportunity to go to Real Madrid, just doesn't make sense.
In the context of your post, this isn't an overpricing it's the compensation for breaking his contract. Athletic aren't negotiating because they are not willing to sell, so the only way to get the player is by breaking the contract. Now to be fair, Athletic can and might take the money directly without it having to be done through the LFP.

These things are not linked to the market, they are linked to the player and his club, that's why you have someone like Umtiti that has a 500m clause, if you want him and Barcelona don't want to sell, you will have to spend 500m.

Status
Not open for further replies.