Kevin De Bruyne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Revan

Assumptionman
De Bruyne alone won't, but De Bruyne, Sterling, Otamendi along side an already quality squad will be ready for an assault on the CL.
They need Kompany and Yaya to be as good as they were 2 years ago. And even then, the likes of Barca and Bayern should be able to beat them.

But I would say, that this is the first time they have a chance to win it. Probably the fifth biggest favorite after Barca, Bayern and two Madrid clubs.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
They need Kompany and Yaya to be as good as they were 2 years ago. And even then, the likes of Barca and Bayern should be able to beat them.

But I would say, that this is the first time they have a chance to win it. Probably the fifth biggest favorite after Barca, Bayern and two Madrid clubs.
It won't matter if Aguero stays fit and De Bruyne is contributing assists, City will challenge for the CL.

Revan

Assumptionman
It won't matter if Aguero stays fit and De Bruyne is contributing assists, City will challenge for the CL.
Half of Caf was saying last year that they'll beat Barca.

Their midfield duo is very weak compared to other top clubs, and Kompany has been a joke last season.

They are nearer it, but still would put 3-4 clubs that should beat them and another 2 or so that are around as good as them.

MarkC

He played 9 games for Chelsea when he was 21. 3 in the league, 3 the in the league cup and 3 in the Europa League/CL.

Is that really a better barometer to measure how good he is compared to all the time he's spent in a team that's finished 2nd in the Bundesliga?
To be fair I think going to Chelsea and not being able to hack it at a top club is quite significant, obviously you can't overlook what he has done in Germany but there are a lot of players who excel in teams where the huge expectations are not there but then struggle when they are asked to compete with other top class players or to be part of a team rather than the star of a team. His time with Wolfsburg doesn't tell us much about that.

It's exactly the same situation as Pogba, really. Neither of them got a chance when they were in England. It's a silly amount of money but that's such a small factor in this. They can take the loss. There's always a risk he won't adapt to a completely different playing style and role but the money doesn't have significantly impact the risk from City's perspective. It's just a number for fans and the media to talk about.
Yep to City it's pennies but it puts a lot of pressure on the player and you can get a lot of player for that money people will question whether they could've done a lot better with that money elsewhere especially if there has been past evidence of him having issues in England. I don't think you can totally dismiss it's importance but I take the point to City it is nothing.

The comments Mourinho made about De Bruyne would slightly concern me if I was a City fan.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Yep to City it's pennies but it puts a lot of pressure on the player and you can get a lot of player for that money people will question whether they could've done a lot better with that money elsewhere especially if there has been past evidence of him having issues in England. I don't think you can totally dismiss it's importance but I take the point to City it is nothing.

The comments Mourinho made about De Bruyne would slightly concern me if I was a City fan.
Yeah, it probably does add a bit of pressure if he struggles in the beginning. I reckon he would've been under a lot of pressure anyway because he's seen as a Chelsea reject and his immediate success or failure makes for a good story regardless of the fee. The fact Mourinho only mentioned it when de Bruyne became valued at £40m+ suggested to me that he was just scraping for whatever he could find to justify his decision. Sir Alex did the same with Pogba. There's probably some truth to it that's been massively exaggerated to appease their fans.

I don't think there can be any questions about de Bruyne's quality or ability to play at a top team because even when he was "struggling" at Chelsea he was Belgium's best player. In the World Cup he may not have looked like a £50m player but he was a key part of a team many considered a dark horse and he made some vital contributions to help take them to the QF's. They're currently ranked #2 in the world too. It might be a bit exaggerated but it does show he's proven himself at a quality team.

The biggest concern will have to be about how he fits in and how that affects the balance of the team. Navas does contribute to the team just by playing a very disciplined role out wide that de Bruyne just won't play. I personally think that his creative and goal threat should more than make up for that. Plus if we go back to the World Cup he's already shown how dangerous he can be from a wider position.

Mali_Zeus

I still expect Barcelona or some other club to take their measure in the CL. Attack won't be a problem but defense and midfield could be again.

Hojoon

You can argue it's worse than us losing Pogba because De Bruyne already proved what a player and talent he was at first team for Werder Bremen. De Bruyne last season was as good as any season Hazard has had, and he regularly outperforms Hazard in the national team.

Cina

I just can't believe nobody has made a "Man getting hit in De Bruyne" gif, yet.

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
So Silva already starting on the right today, seems like they are already practicing for KdB's arrival.
He didn't start on the right, Navas did. We started as we've started the other three games so far. Pellegrini said he changed it to 4-4-2 at half-time so he was pushed out wider.

newgiz

City clearly are building a top heavy side and goals win you games.Their midfield is still weak so I am not sure they would progress too far in the Champions league but they certainly have enough quality to walk away with the league title(as it stands if rivals don't improve).I will be very upset if we don't improve our attacking options.

MarkC

Yeah, it probably does add a bit of pressure if he struggles in the beginning. I reckon he would've been under a lot of pressure anyway because he's seen as a Chelsea reject and his immediate success or failure makes for a good story regardless of the fee. The fact Mourinho only mentioned it when de Bruyne became valued at £40m+ suggested to me that he was just scraping for whatever he could find to justify his decision. Sir Alex did the same with Pogba. There's probably some truth to it that's been massively exaggerated to appease their fans.

I don't think there can be any questions about de Bruyne's quality or ability to play at a top team because even when he was "struggling" at Chelsea he was Belgium's best player. In the World Cup he may not have looked like a £50m player but he was a key part of a team many considered a dark horse and he made some vital contributions to help take them to the QF's. They're currently ranked #2 in the world too. It might be a bit exaggerated but it does show he's proven himself at a quality team.

The biggest concern will have to be about how he fits in and how that affects the balance of the team. Navas does contribute to the team just by playing a very disciplined role out wide that de Bruyne just won't play. I personally think that his creative and goal threat should more than make up for that. Plus if we go back to the World Cup he's already shown how dangerous he can be from a wider position.
It will be interesting to see how he does. They must have huge confidence in him to pay what they have. I expect him to do well from the off as he will be given the superstar treatment at first but it will be interesting to see how he reacts if he struggles for a few games.

I'd have slight reservations as well if I was a City fan about changing what is a very good team just now. If De Burnye improved them fair enough but would you put him in a team in the form they are in and risk disrupting things?

NoLogo

He didn't start on the right, Navas did. We started as we've started the other three games so far. Pellegrini said he changed it to 4-4-2 at half-time so he was pushed out wider.
Okay didn't watch the entire game, started at 70 minutes or so and he was mainly on the right drifting inside a lot. I mean he has the license to drift all over the pitch anyways so doesn't quite matter where he starts he is still the biggest influence on your game if on the right, left or the middle.

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
I wouldn't... I did not want Sterling. One trick pony, runs a lot, occasionally gets past a man and then plays a short ball, because he can't cross, he has only one foot and he can't finish either. Sterling is potential and nothing more and I don't ever see him coming to much. De Bruyne is a good player, in the right system but even then, amongst the best in the world? No chance. Otamendi is a good purchase, I wanted us to get him, I thought he looked good at RB for Argentina at the previous world cup and he was solid for Valencia last season. De Bruyne would have suited us more than City but for £55m I would have said we were ripped off and everyone would be complaining about how we overpaid because we're Man Utd and everyone knows we have money. For £35m I would have said he was worth it, I'd still have my reservations if he'd make it though, for £35m it would be worth finding out, for £55m I would expect the finished article who wins games all by himself.
I noticed Sterling got the MOM award today. Sky gave him a 9 rating. Not bad for a one-trick pony.

Lewis.no.9

they bought one of Europe's hottest properties (all be it paying over the odds) and someone with extreme potential in Sterling, La Ligas best CB last season and a man who featured in the World Cup final in Otamendi and De Bruyne who is young and had an unreal amount of assists last season.
Every weakness they had in their lineup, they have rectified this summer.

Right side was weak, buys Sterling
sold strikers and need someone for No.10 after changing to 1 uptop, buys De Bruyne
defence was suspect, buys Otamendi

Very good from City and very productive window. Credit where its due. They are going to be the team to beat this year and my moneys on them winning the title tbh.

the hea

they bought one of Europe's hottest properties (all be it paying over the odds) and someone with extreme potential in Sterling, La Ligas best CB last season and a man who featured in the World Cup final in Otamendi and De Bruyne who is young and had an unreal amount of assists last season.
Every weakness they had in their lineup, they have rectified this summer.

Right side was weak, buys Sterling
sold strikers and need someone for No.10 after changing to 1 uptop, buys De Bruyne
defence was suspect, buys Otamendi

Very good from City and very productive window. Credit where its due. They are going to be the team to beat this year and my moneys on them winning the title tbh.

Surely it will be Sterling on the left Silva in the centre and De Bruyne on the right?

Lewis.no.9

Surely it will be Sterling on the left Silva in the centre and De Bruyne on the right?
it doesnt really matter how you line them up, they are all going to float everywhere across the front line. They are going to be a nightmare to mark and keep quiet.

Glanville95

it doesnt really matter how you line them up, they are all going to float everywhere across the front line. They are going to be a nightmare to mark and keep quiet.
Think that's how they'll be nominally deployed though. As good as De Bruyne is, Silva will still remain the creative fulcrum of the side.

the hea

I Agree that all three a comfortable in multiple positions but City has started all their games with Sterling on the left and Silva through the middle and with De Bruyne making his name playing as a right winger at Wolfsburg it would be stupid from Pellegrini to start experimenting with positions.

hbgreg

Potential attacks mean nothing, remember everyone creaming over Falcao RvP Rooney Di Maria Mata and Young? Meant nothing. They only beat Watford by two and Watford don't even have a striker so it wasn't fair.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Potential attacks mean nothing, remember everyone creaming over Falcao RvP Rooney Di Maria Mata and Young? Meant nothing. They only beat Watford by two and Watford don't even have a striker so it wasn't fair.
Aye i agree with you, though "beating watford by only 2" means little in this context. You get those weeks. On paper, the addition of kdb looks frightening, but well see how it works out. Lots of players have failed after big money moves.

hobbers

Same problem exists though, that attack relies so much on Aguero's pace and movement off the ball. De Bruyne, Silva and Sterling are all lightweights and only Sterling has real pace about him, and I rarely saw him use it to good effect for Liverpool.

hbgreg

Aye i agree with you, though "beating watford by only 2" means little in this context. You get those weeks. On paper, the addition of kdb looks frightening, but well see how it works out. Lots of players have failed after big money moves.
It's all about cohesion, we beat them last year with Young and Fellaini as the stars.

Sam

Same problem exists though, that attack relies so much on Aguero's pace and movement off the ball. De Bruyne, Silva and Sterling are all lightweights and only Sterling has real pace about him, and I rarely saw him use it to good effect for Liverpool.
Hmm, I'd actually say I think the complete opposite.

For the first time in a long time, I think they're well set to handle any injury to Aguero. With Bony they have a proven PL goalscorer, and with Silva/Sterling/KDB behind him, they'll be creating chances for fun.

the hea

It's all about cohesion, we beat them last year with Young and Fellaini as the stars.
I agree with this De Bruyne has been fantastic at Wolfsburg from what I have seen of him but there are no guarantees he will make City a better team. He will no longer be the main man like he was at Wolfsburg so he will certainly see less of the ball and his goals and assist numbers will not be as good because of it. Another thing is he is not a winger like Navas who stays wide De Bruyne likes to drift around a lot like Mata does for us this could mean that the central areas gets to crowded with Silva, Aguero and De Bruyne all occupying the same area of the pitch. Navas might not be the best winger but the fact that he is a player that mainly stays out wide means that there is more space for Silva and Aguero in the middle.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Adding Sterling, De Bruyne & Otamendi to an already strong and unified squad is seriously good work from the people in charge at City. Sure we can gripe that its not fair money and they pay over the odds, but that's spilt milk.

City really have transformed the way they conduct transfer business since those crazy days of signing Robinho just to make a statement.

As things stand, they are the clear stand out favourite to sweep to a huge PL win this season.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I agree with this De Bruyne has been fantastic at Wolfsburg from what I have seen of him but there are no guarantees he will make City a better team. He will no longer be the main man like he was at Wolfsburg so he will certainly see less of the ball and his goals and assist numbers will not be as good because of it. Another thing is he is not a winger like Navas who stays wide De Bruyne likes to drift around a lot like Mata does for us this could mean that the central areas gets to crowded with Silva, Aguero and De Bruyne all occupying the same area of the pitch. Navas might not be the best winger but the fact that he is a player that mainly stays out wide means that there is more space for Silva and Aguero in the middle.
Does it matter though? As long as he plays well, it's expected that his stats will drop anyway because City has other stars too.

the hea

Does it matter though? As long as he plays well, it's expected that his stats will drop anyway because City has other stars too.
I have no idea if it will matter but some players needs to be the main man to get best out of them, Ronaldo might be the best example. I have no idea how De Bruyne will react if he goes on a run without goals or assists but what I do know is that if it happens the English media will be on him like hawks due to the price City paid for him. Stuff like this will always affect players to some degree with De Bruyne we will just have to wait and see how it goes. He is a fantastic player though so the odds are in his favor to be a success but all I'm saying is that there are no certainties.

Status
Not open for further replies.