Kevin De Bruyne

Pickle85

Not really. Its just a point of comparison, not a rant even if your read it like one.

Pogba was fantastic for France the game they got knocked out. Gave the ball away but created everything and won the ball back for their second goal too if we are arguing semantics.

Yet he was blamed instantly by most pundits and was the major discussion point.

Meanwhile KDB was very poor tonight. Create done or two nice chances but otherwise very poor. 57% pass completion and loss the ball 25 times.

Yet the pundits weren't instantly blaming him for the loss.

Interesting is all.

For me neither are to blame for their Country's exit although Pogba did more to keep his country in the competition than KDB.
But, again, this is the KdB thread. I just find it really annoying when people barge into player threads and start up some sort of bizarre top trump comparison with a different player. It ruins so many threads.

Eddy_JukeZ

He does avoid criticism whenever he plays poorly in big games.

He was shocking tonight.

If Pogba served up that type of performance, the British media would have crucified him.

laughtersassassin

But, again, this is the KdB thread. I just find it really annoying when people barge into player threads and start up some sort of bizarre top trump comparison with a different player. It ruins so many threads.
I'm not barging into the thread. Player comparison is simply a part of football.

Basically I'd say KDB is undoubtedly a better player at club level than Pogba

But interestingly enough the gap is probably the complete opposite at international level where Pogba is undoubtedly better.

It's always a thing I've noticed with football though. Certain players are very clearly over criticised while others get under criticised. Never much rhyme or reason to it but it's just the way it is.

It's like once a hive opinion is formed what happens on the pitch doesn't seem to matter. The preconceived notion just trump's everything, which is a shame as it makes well "discussion" impossible.

Also I'd add my comparison is very apt considering they are both the best players for their national team, they both got knocked out in the same round etc etc.

If you can't discuss comparisons of players within player performance threads then where can you do it?

Last edited:

Suedesi

He does avoid criticism whenever he plays poorly in big games.

He was shocking tonight.

If Pogba served up that type of performance, the British media would have crucified him.
He wasn't "shocking". No one with two eyes and a brain was "shocked" by his performance, he was playing against Italy not Kazakhstan. He put one or two good chances in front of Lukaku, had a great attempt saved by Donnaruma but no sane person was expecting KdB to suddenly turn into Maradona and run the match against Italy.

It's so ridiculous that this Belgium team is perennially rated #1, without ever winning anything. No world cup, no euros, no nation's league cup, but #1...

Idiotic.

James Peril

He's a very good player, that gets hyped to ridiculous levels like many City players.
Hyped because he is easily one of the best players in the world, so tired of this shit. He, unlike Fernandes and excuses made for all United-players, is obviously injured/struggling with niggles and should rest for a long time. That being said, his joints obviously isn’t in the same ilk of Ronaldo

laughtersassassin

He wasn't "shocking". No one with two eyes and a brain was "shocked" by his performance, he was playing against Italy not Kazakhstan. He put one or two good chances in front of Lukaku, had a great attempt saved by Donnaruma but no one was expecting KdB to suddenly turn into Maradona and run the match against Italy.

It's so ridiculous that this Belgium team is perennially rated #1, without ever winning anything. No world cup, no euros, no nation's league cup, but #1...

Idiotic.
He did do the few nice things you mentioned but he had a 57% pass completion as well as losing possession 25 times.

That is awful no matter what way you look at it.

hubbuh

He was rubbish tonight. The fact that a teenager was their only real bright spark says it all.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I thought he had a good first half. Second half he faded badly as did the rest of Belgium minus Doku

He'sRaldo

I said in Pogba thread that whenever I watch him live he rarely impressed and seems more a moments player
Yup, and those people who were heaping praise on him and making him seem invincible will be nowhere to be found.

He's a human like everyone else, he'll have bad games, but the difference to me is either people don't watch him and assume he's always 10/10, or they don't care as much when he puts in a bad performance.

Zoo

Hyped because he is easily one of the best players in the world, so tired of this shit. He, unlike Fernandes and excuses made for all United-players, is obviously injured/struggling with niggles and should rest for a long time. That being said, his joints obviously isn’t in the same ilk of Ronaldo
So De Bruyne is allowed excuses but Fernandes isn’t despite the latter having played more minutes then anyone else since lockdown last year. That’s hilarious. You don’t seem to like much about United, it’s evident in all of your posts.

U99ted

Fernandes doesn't need a rest after the amount of games he had to play for us?

OverratedOpinion

He is a very good player.

I disagree hugely when people say he is one of the top 5 players in the world or people who say he is the best player in the league. In my opinion he is quite a way below a player like Salah for example.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
He is a very good player.

I disagree hugely when people say he is one of the top 5 players in the world or people who say he is the best player in the league. In my opinion he is quite a way below a player like Salah for example.
Completely disagree.
Also he wasnt even fit today so I don’t get the overreaction in here

Cassidy

So De Bruyne is allowed excuses but Fernandes isn’t despite the latter having played more minutes then anyone else since lockdown last year. That’s hilarious. You don’t seem to like much about United, it’s evident in all of your posts.
De Bruyne literally got injured in the last game. Fernandes obviously needs a rest though

OrcaFat

On the whole he was terrible tonight. Not sure if he was just injured still or if Italy got in his space and then into his head. He looked like he can just be hassled into playing badly.

OverratedOpinion

This is absolutely insane.

If either of them has played too many games without a break then it is very clearly Fernandes. One played 40 games last season, the other played 60 for god sake.

If anything De Bruyne benefits a huge amount from playing under Pep in a great team meaning that his fairly regular spells of average performances are never highlighted due to Mahrez, Foden, Silva ect. papering over that crack. If Fernandes goes 2 or 3 games without scoring then the world is suddenly ending.

Suedesi

He did do the few nice things you mentioned but he had a 57% pass completion as well as losing possession 25 times.

That is awful no matter what way you look at it.
Par for the course - he's not shown he's capable of raising his level to the very top in international comps.

I dont' care how many carabao cups he wins, in 10 years no one will remember Kdb more than say Enzo Scifo or Jan Ceulemans

dinostar77

KDB was obviously not fully fit and the KDB we are used to. Its been a long season and clearly alot of players are runnin on vapour.

Cassidy

Par for the course - he's not shown he's capable of raising his level to the very top in international comps.

I dont' care how many carabao cups he wins, in 10 years no one will remember Kdb more than say Enzo Scifo or Jan Ceulemans
Try premier leagues

OverratedOpinion

Completely disagree.
Also he wasnt even fit today so I don’t get the overreaction in here
I can only give you my word but I promise you that his performance today has very little to do with me thinking he is not on the same level as a player like Salah. Him not being fit is fair enough and it does not surprise me that Martinez would make the stupid decision to start an unfit player. Does not change my overall opinion of KDB in the negative or positive.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
de Bruyne was injured, fernandes was just beyond awful

NoPace

Only Messi has more composure in the final 3rd. Wasn't really in a position to do his thing tonight, but clearly the best #10 in the world unless you prefer Messi still and choose to count him as one and don't mind his attacking.

Cassidy

No one cares - the measuring stick is no longer domestic comps. It's CL, Euro Cups, World Cups...
How many Euros and World cups did the likes of Scholes win?

Granted CL yes but you dont win Euros and World cups on your own

Its a bit silly to rate a player based solely on winning International trophies. Club football is where the real measure is

El Jefe

You can always guarantee on the caf that whenever a proven top class player has a high profile bad performance you'll get posters on here saying that they really weren't that great to begin with. It's happened to Kante, Mbappe, KDB, Neymar, VVD, Kane etc. Messi and Ronaldo's consistency has given fans an irrational expectation of continued excellence.

Rektsanwalt

Supports
Schalke 04
He was obviously injured, himself talking about torn ligaments. Whatever ligament (seems to be the ankle) and whether its completely torn or not, he played under pain out of responsibility for his team. He was basically limping from minute 1, ffs. Although he wasnt as good as he can be, he still showed some of his world class skills, so I dont get how anybody could be disappointed given the circumstances.
And no, its not my opinion „because he is white“, as some absolute miserable and well rather stupid comment suggests…jeez, thats next level race obsession.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
How on earth was Fernandes "beyond awful"?

He was alright but just didn't live up to his potential in the couple of games he played.
he was benched in their biggest game of the euros, he provided nothing. He was terrible. It happens but he was horrible

Terminator

he was benched in their biggest game of the euros, he provided nothing. He was terrible. It happens but he was horrible
Despite being benched for 2 games, he still created more chances than any other Portuguese player on the field. Bernardo Silva/Jota were worse and the whole attack was dysfunctional.

OverratedOpinion

He played the most key passes per game for Portugal in the matches he played, created more chances than any other player, had great passing accuracy, made a tackle per game, played the pass that lead to the goal to break the deadlock in their first game and covered almost more ground than anyone. He was benched because the coach clearly made the decision that playing a number 10 is quite risky when so many teams play 3 in midfield and was very good when brought on.

He was fine, not great but fine.

He'sRaldo

You can always guarantee on the caf that whenever a proven top class player has a high profile bad performance you'll get posters on here saying that they really weren't that great to begin with. It's happened to Kante, Mbappe, KDB, Neymar, VVD, Kane etc. Messi and Ronaldo's consistency has given fans an irrational expectation of continued excellence.
In KDB's case it's a natural reaction to him being held up as the beacon of quality and consistency, where in reality he had a mediocre season by his standards.

I mean the guy just won a POTY award based on nothing really, safe to say he's not in danger of being underrated.

OverratedOpinion

Neymar and De Bruyne are both overrated. Someone having a big reputation does not make them infallible.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Those who think he's overrated, how impactful would you expect him to be at United? Personally, I think he'd raise the whole team to another level. He's outstanding. Not great tournament, got shafted in the CL too by rowdy Rudiger. But world class without question.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
How on earth was Fernandes "beyond awful"?

He was alright but just didn't live up to his potential in the couple of games he played.
This a joke? He was appalling this tournament. His only contribution of note was nearly giving away a penalty against France in injury time like a moron.

Arguably the biggest underperformer relative to his level at the entire tournament. Obviously he has compatibility issues with Ronaldo and some slack has to be granted given his minutes this year but even so Bruno was atrocious.

OverratedOpinion

Those who think he's overrated, how impactful would you expect him to be at United? Personally, I think he'd raise the whole team to another level. He's outstanding. Not great tournament, got shafted in the CL too by rowdy Rudiger. But world class without question.
I think him and Fernandes could not play in the same team, not sure who I think is better but we need what Fernandes offers far more.

OverratedOpinion

This a joke? He was appalling this tournament. His only contribution of note was nearly giving away a penalty against France in injury time like a moron.

Arguably the biggest underperformer relative to his level at the entire tournament. Obviously he has compatibility issues with Ronaldo and some slack has to be granted given his minutes this year but even so Bruno was atrocious.
Most key passes, most chances created, second most ground covered, 89% pass accuracy and got dropped so they could play a 3 man midfield. He was then brought on and again made the most chances in that game with less than a half of the game left. He was fine, if he was a random Portugal player he was quite good but due to his level I would say he was fine.