Kevin De Bruyne

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Didn't think the City midfield worked very well today - left too much for Gundogan and KdB to do. Rodri should have been in there. Was he injured?

On KdB he hasn't been at his best this whole season truly shining in fits and starts. But this, I.e midfield is where you'd expect city to dominate and they, players and manager were a let down

padr81

Supports
Man City
Didn't think the City midfield worked very well today - left too much for Gundogan and KdB to do. Rodri should have been in there. Was he injured?

On KdB he hasn't been at his best this whole season truly shining in fits and starts. But this, I.e midfield is where you'd expect city to dominate and they, players and manager were a let down
Rodri has been dropped a lot lately, I thought it would be Fern.

Kdb hasn't had an amazing season, good but not great. I don't think he was fully recovered from the knock a couple of weeks ago that kept him out. He was noticably missing from our high press tonight.

Either way poor showing

TheReligion

Abusive
Isn't as good as he once was it seems. Getting older now so you wonder if his star is starting to fade that bit.

Was pocketed tonight and offered pretty much nothing.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Rodri has been dropped a lot lately, I thought it would be Fern.

Kdb hasn't had an amazing season, good but not great. I don't think he was fully recovered from the knock a couple of weeks ago that kept him out. He was noticably missing from our high press tonight.

Either way poor showing
Definitely a weird one. Wonder if Tuchel got the better of Pep by playing Havertz instead of Pulisic - thought his ability in the air was key to our approach and was further evidenced by him staying on for the whole match. A lightweight midfield with Gundogan makes sense if it's Pulisic / Werner / Mount contesting headers, but with Havertz in there our second ball recoveries were pretty consistently threatening.

Regardless I was very surprised Pep went for the extra attacker over Rodri / Fernandinho - given Pep's playing career it's really surprising he seems to consistently underestimate the importance of a sitting midfielder.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Felt like he hasn't been at his best for quite a while now and today was no different. Not the dominant midfielder he used to be.
You have to wonder if that dominant midfielder is gone forever, which is a very sad thought to have, cos he’s not that old.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Definitely a weird one. Wonder if Tuchel got the better of Pep by playing Havertz instead of Pulisic - thought his ability in the air was key to our approach and was further evidenced by him staying on for the whole match. A lightweight midfield with Gundogan makes sense if it's Pulisic / Werner / Mount contesting headers, but with Havertz in there our second ball recoveries were pretty consistently threatening.

Regardless I was very surprised Pep went for the extra attacker over Rodri / Fernandinho - given Pep's playing career it's really surprising he seems to consistently underestimate the importance of a sitting midfielder.
I think Pep was expecting 2 pacey players and Mount for sure. That said it was an insane decision regardless cause of how high our fullbacks sit. I think Pep genuinely thought that we'd give up a goal or two to the counter and just thought we'd press high and try to outscore you guys. He was thinking more about us finally scoring against you than not conceding,

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
I think Pep was expecting 2 pacey players and Mount for sure. That said it was an insane decision regardless cause of how high our fullbacks sit. I think Pep genuinely thought that we'd give up a goal or two to the counter and just thought we'd press high and try to outscore you guys. He was thinking more about us finally scoring against you than not conceding,
Yeah think that's fair. Guess he wanted to occupy all 5 of our back line via the typical channels? But without Cancelo you lacked the extra body in midfield to break up play and create from deep - anyone looking to make a penetrative pass from midfield would have to be dropping back between the lines and the fluidity was a struggle. Thought personally that Chilwell did a good job of closely marking Mahrez all game - don't think the latter did enough to vary his positioning to get on the ball in threatening situations.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Yeah think that's fair. Guess he wanted to occupy all 5 of our back line via the typical channels? But without Cancelo you lacked the extra body in midfield to break up play and create from deep - anyone looking to make a penetrative pass from midfield would have to be dropping back between the lines and the fluidity was a struggle. Thought personally that Chilwell did a good job of closely marking Mahrez all game - don't think the latter did enough to vary his positioning to get on the ball in threatening situations.
Chilwell and James were brilliant. I thought those 2 pocketed both our wingers, and with Kante marking KDB it left Foden and Bernardo unable to find an inch around your CB's who too were great.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Chilwell and James were brilliant. I thought those 2 pocketed both our wingers, and with Kante marking KDB it left Foden and Bernardo unable to find an inch around your CB's who too were great.
Yeah was really shocked at how poor Bernardo was personally - given where I live and who I'm married to I tend to keep a pretty close eye on Portuguese players in the big matches and for me he really offered nothing. Felt generally as well that Gundogan was too restricted in terms of his positioning and was also asked to try to win duels he was very unsuited to - really can't be understated how odd it was that Pep went into this game without a proper sitting midfielder to allow Gundogan to roam with a bit of freedom.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Yeah was really shocked at how poor Bernardo was personally - given where I live and who I'm married to I tend to keep a pretty close eye on Portuguese players in the big matches and for me he really offered nothing. Felt generally as well that Gundogan was too restricted in terms of his positioning and was also asked to try to win duels he was very unsuited to - really can't be understated how odd it was that Pep went into this game without a proper sitting midfielder to allow Gundogan to roam with a bit of freedom.
Bernardo is a weird one, he is playing such a negative role in comparison to earlier seasons, at times he's our most defensive player outside of our CB's, he's kinda in the team to cover for Walker when Walker goes forward and to recycle the ball. He kind of has to sacrifice his game for others. It's weird to see, he kinda mills around making tackles and thats about it

Nori-

"Miles better"
Is this the old "lets recall a quote after a bad performance" trick :lol:

I can do the same every time De Bruyne wins something......or look back at games and do it for every time Beckham lost a game. See how that works

If you asked 1000 fans who they would rather have, a peak De Bruyne or Beckham.....I'm very confident at least 75% would choose KDB.

Technically Beckham wasn't great. Put KDB at West Ham he instantly makes an impact and becomes their best player......put Beckham at West Ham he is a starter and that's it.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Well Beckham was instrumental in a CL win. KDB can only aspire to do that.

Varun

Staff

I can do the same every time De Bruyne wins something......or look back at games and do it for every time Beckham lost a game. See how that works

If you asked 1000 fans who they would rather have, a peak De Bruyne or Beckham.....I'm very confident at least 75% would choose KDB.
Not that I care much about the debate, but that'd still not make him 'miles better'. It'd just mean 'most' think he's better.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
He’s a tier below the very best CAMs or advanced midfielders for me if we are talking all time level. More on par with a prime Ozil (even then I say I prefer the German in a big game) than your Zidanes and Iniesta.

krentz

Technically Beckham wasn't great. Put KDB at West Ham he instantly makes an impact and becomes their best player......put Beckham at West Ham he is a starter and that's it.
What kind of nonsense is this? If I have to pick KDB or Beckham, i'd pick Beckham. A big game player who works his sock off creating chances while helping the defense for full 90 mins. Beckham was also mentally very strong. He was abused by the whole country after WC 1998 only to come back to captained his country in less than 3 years, he was outcasted by Capello only to work his way into starting XI and helped madrid to win La Liga.
KDB is a world class so did Beckham in his peak. Kinda funny to see people underrating him because he didnt do the fancy dribbling.

Nori-

What kind of nonsense is this? If I have to pick KDB or Beckham, i'd pick Beckham. A big game player who works his sock off creating chances while helping the defense for full 90 mins. Beckham was also mentally very strong. He was abused by the whole country after WC 1998 only to come back to captained his country in less than 3 years, he was outcasted by Capello only to work his way into starting XI and helped madrid to win La Liga.
KDB is a world class so did Beckham in his peak. Kinda funny to see people underrating him because he didnt do the fancy dribbling.
Its the wrong thread so im not going to go into too much detail about Beckham but he was at Madrid for 4 seasons and won a total of.....1x Spanish Super Cup and 1 x League.

You can point to Beckhams success in England but he was part of one of the best teams in Premiere League history at a time where league competition wasn't anywhere near as fierce.

KDB has just won the Prem 3 times in the last 4 and been the star man through most of it, in a much tougher era to win. He also took Belgium to a World Cup semi and lost to the eventual winners France with a Belgium team that were not expected to do as well as Beckhams England was.

KDB all day.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time

:lol:

So the player that was arguably our best player in the best season any English team has ever had, who arguably should have won the Balon d'or that season and was right up there again for the following two seasons, who pretty much single-handedly dragged England to a World Cup...would be nothing more than a starter at West Ham.

You are blatantly either a deliberate troll or you never actually watched Beckham yourself. Almost every single thing you've said about him in this thread has been blatantly incorrect.

Judas

Open to offers
I think he's simply past his peak now, it happens. Still quality on his day, but we've been seeing more and more performances like yesterday from him. I think he should have moved on when he had the chance, a change of scenery might have sparked his form to go back to a higher level again.

Ish

Lights on for Luke

Wow. Criminal underrating of Beckham.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Updates on on his health? His face was quite badly swollen, and his neck certainly was a concern as well.

Yagami

Good post resistant

Beckham wasn't technically great? He wouldn't be West Hams best player or make an impact? Those are just wrong.

I mean, Beckham's peak was obviously better than De Bryune, but you're at least entitled to disagree, but to go to those extremes? Mental!

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'

Modern football fans for you everybody...

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Not for me. I see him as an 8 in a 4-3-3 or playing the various roles that KDB does for City. He could be a great wing back too.
He suits wingback more. He was hardly poor defensively he and neville used to cover each other well.
Basically any position where he has the overlap to put the ball in would suit him the most.

Nori-

So the player that was arguably our best player in the best season any English team has ever had, who arguably should have won the Balon d'or that season and was right up there again for the following two seasons, who pretty much single-handedly dragged England to a World Cup...would be nothing more than a starter at West Ham.

You are blatantly either a deliberate troll or you never actually watched yourself. Almost every single thing you've said about him in this thread has been blatantly incorrect.
"Should" have won a Balon D'or and scoring a free kick against Greece is hardly single handedly carrying England :lol:

Deery

Dreary

Pretty serious injuries probably keep him out of the Euros or make him wear a mask.

padr81

Supports
Man City
He's still a top player, just shoehorned into a different role for most the season and a few injuries. Like Bernardo he's had to give up a lot for his new role.

Yesterday he was playing f9 again vs 3 CB's and every time he dropped he got Kanted, not the first nor last player it will happen to.

Fingeredmouse

Absolute shite.

thepolice123

Any attacking midfielder would have struggled in that false #9 role with no partner. Would love to hear who would have done better from the people judging him on yesterday's game.

Skills

Snitch
He's a big guy. He would be on redcafe's obesity watch if he played for us

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands

Not technically great?

The only thing he couldn't do was dribble and he knew it and replaced that with movement and early passes/crosses that set up loads of goals :lol:

Tom Van Persie

No relation