TheReligion

Abusive

He's entered the all time PL top 5 as well:
  1. Giggs (162)
  2. Fabregas (111)
  3. Rooney (103)
  4. Lampard (102)
  5. De Bruyne (95)
Not unlikely he'll be in the top 3 by the end of the season.
All that list shows me was how phenomenal Rooney was as a CF.

cyberman

1. Giggs (162)
  2. Fabregas (111)
  3. Rooney (103)
  4. Lampard (102)
  5. De Bruyne (95)
Isn’t this list from 2000 on or something stupid? That cuts a lot off Giggs and Beckham total

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Isn’t this list from 2000 on or something stupid? That cuts a lot off Giggs and Beckham total
It's accurate from the start of the Premier League.

https://www.premierleague.com/stats/clarification

It's stuff like "headed goals, left footed goals" that they only started tracking in the 2000s.

Giggs might have got some assists in the old first division though which won't be included in that list. He's so far ahead though it does t really matter. That's never getting beaten.

cyberman

It's stuff like "headed goals, left footed goals" that they only started tracking in the 2000s.

Giggs might have got some assists in the old first division though which won't be included in that list. He's so far ahead though it does t really matter. That's never getting beaten.
Oh right. Still doesn’t feel right with the quality of players that went from 1st division to Premier League but fair enough I suppose

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Shearer gets kinda screwed with this as well. Scored 20something goals in the old first division which people don't count when comparing him to Harry Kane.
Likewise Shearer also benefitted from this isn't it, people act as if old division was never there and Shearer is the greatest scorer in English league when in the old division there were so many great goal scorers. That should be the record to beat.

duffer

Scout
Likewise Shearer also benefitted from this isn't it, people act as if old division was never there and Shearer is the greatest scorer in English league when in the old division there were so many great goal scorers. That should be the record to beat.
I agree completely. When they talk about Kane going for Shearers record, they should actually be looking at Chelsea's own Jimmy Greaves.

Vapor trail

He's quality so don't get me wrong but something definitely feels off with that statement, I don't know why.
I think it's a very fair shout. Yes City do have a ridiculous amount of quality but De Bryune is still levels above his teammates. He's the most important player for City without questionable doubt. He's dynamic but is not like a Pogba who is competent at everything he excels in everything. Assists, goals, build up and phases of play.

MongeySpangle

Supports
Manchester City
I think it’s a bit too premature to say that he’s the best PL midfielder of all time, but one thing I must say is I’m quite certain he’s the most productive midfielder to ever play in the PL. It’s actually quite phenomenal just how prolific he is with his chance creation and assist rate. His goal scoring ability is also very very good and he doesn’t really have any striking weaknesses in his game.

I’d say he’s probably the most two-footed player in the world at the moment and that means he’s always got that extra advantage to be able to take the ball onto either side. His dribbling is good, he’s got good strength, he’s deceptively quick, his vision and anticipation is absolutely ridiculous. There’s nothing he hasn’t got in his locker. At this rate he will break the 20-assist season record that he equalled himself a few years ago quite easily.

Every time he shows any indication of slowing down, he just comes back stronger. I think of all things that is the one that puts him in that elite tier of current and past players.

A Rolls Royce of a player, and even more.

Last edited:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid

If Haaland stays at City 4 seasons and De Bruyne doesn't miss significant time to injuries, he's beating that record

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I think it's a very fair shout. Yes City do have a ridiculous amount of quality but De Bryune is still levels above his teammates. He's the most important player for City without questionable doubt. He's dynamic but is not like a Pogba who is competent at everything he excels in everything. Assists, goals, build up and phases of play.
A fair assessment but I'm gonna be honest and say that my bias doesn't allow me to place him above the likes of Keane and Scholes, and while it's not pl related I'm gonna hold him not winning cl against him although he'll end up winning it anyway at this rate.

He's quality however is definitely undeniable .

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
He's an elite footballer unfortunately.

What impresses me most of the time is his athleticism. He's got deceptive pace and acceleration/stamina.

El Jefe

Its a bit weird judging KDB as the best CM. Its where he's played for City on paper but with the positions he takes up he should be compared more to Gerrard and Lampard than those that played deeper.

His heat map certainly wouldn't make him look like a conventional CM.

He's an attacking midfielder for me.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
On a skill level he's top notch but he doesn't feel as good as Lampard, Gerrard, Keane, Scholes, Viera etc were to their respective teams.

I probably wouldn't say he's the best ever in the PL because he is playing in the most optimised system for him and hasn't plied his trade as long as some of the aforementioned players in the Premier league.

Plus he's a bit bland personality wise.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
It would be interesting to see what City's points average is with and without him. I remember in the 2018/19 season he was out for quite a while but City still got 98 points and won the league.

City are an amazing team in the true sense. Very little reliance on single players, that's also evident in how some players are bit part players one season but the next they become key players (Cancelo, Gundogan, B.Silva etc).

Deery

Dreary
Feels a bit bland but the amount of times I’ve watched City and said DeBruyne is pure class is phenomenal. I wouldn’t argue against him being named the best, great talent and busts a gut every match.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore

1. Giggs (162) ... 632 games... 0.26 per game
  2. Fabregas (111)... 350 games ... 0.32 per game
  3. Rooney (103).... 491 games ... 0.21 per game
  4. Lampard (102)... 609 games... 0.17 per game
  5. De Bruyne (95)... 218 games... 0.44 per game
For perspective when you look at assists per game its incredible

Beckham manages 80 in 265 games which is 0.3 per game so somewhere between giggs and Fabregas

And now with haaland - yeah could easily see him increasing that ratio...

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Definitely in the frame for the best midfielder the league has ever seen at the very least.

tomaldinho1

Why didn't United sign him? :mad: Were we under Van Gaal when he went to City?
It was only in Pellegrini's last season that he really worked out how to use KDB/Silva and they both posted some ridiculous numbers.

Didn't realise he was 31, thought he was 28 or so which gives me some hope.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!

Are you sure that’s right? I don’t think they counted ‘fouled for a converted penalty’ as an assist for ages (quite rightly) I’d look. But I’m a lazy sh1t.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I'm sure that's what the Premier League say. I'm not checking every goal since 1992 to confirm though.
And I said I was lazy………

Actually. That’s an easy check I think. You’ve only got to check the first few weekends of fixtures from Year 1 and find games with penalties. I’ll take a look when I’m on a desktop.

duffer

Scout
And I said I was lazy………

Actually. That’s an easy check I think. You’ve only got to check the first few weekends of fixtures from Year 1 and find games with penalties. I’ll take a look when I’m on a desktop.
Getting fouled for a pen is not an assist, not in the real world as far as I know.

In some computer games or fantasy leagues, sure.

UnrelatedPsuedo

Getting fouled for a pen is not an assist, not in the real world as far as I know.

In some computer games or fantasy leagues, sure.
Oh ffs. Is it not? Had no idea that Fantasy Football might have a different set of rules.

Also an easy check and probably should have came a few posts ago before exposing myself as being this stupid.

EDIT ::: Opta count it as an assist. Just checked. Have no idea if that is where official stats come from Nowadays. Also an assist if a player crosses and an own goal Results from it.

Corey

I think it’s a bit too premature to say that he’s the best PL midfielder of all time, but one thing I must say is I’m quite certain he’s the most productive midfielder to ever play in the PL. It’s actually quite phenomenal just how prolific he is with his chance creation and assist rate. His goal scoring ability is also very very good and he doesn’t really have any striking weaknesses in his game.

I’d say he’s probably the most two-footed player in the world at the moment and that means he’s always got that extra advantage to be able to take the ball onto either side. His dribbling is good, he’s got good strength, he’s deceptively quick, his vision and anticipation is absolutely ridiculous. There’s nothing he hasn’t got in his locker. At this rate he will break the 20-assist season record that he equalled himself a few years ago quite easily.

Every time he shows any indication of slowing down, he just comes back stronger. I think of all things that is the one that puts him in that elite tier of current and past players.

A Rolls Royce of a player, and even more.
Agree with most of what you said but I don't think he's the most two-footed player in the world. He's up there but I'd put Dembele above him. In the premier league I'd put him on par with Son and Jota and (formerly Greenwood).

De Bruyne has excellent shooting technique on his left foot, almost at the same level as his right foot, but when it comes to dribbling, passing etc his right foot is notably better than his left .

Chief123

I don’t think I’ve ever seen someone who’s so good at creating and productivity be so good off the ball. He’s absolutely relentless in pressing and tracking back to win the ball.