Kevin De Bruyne

Walters_19_MuFc

His general play is awful. People only rate him because of his numbers, which, to be fair, are good, but he struggles to play 5 yard passes, at times.

He's a poor mans version of Becks for me. Very very good if you give him space, but unlike Becks, if you deny him space he has pretty much nothing.

Can still understand why Mourinho sold him, a cracking player of course but not indispensable.

sammyvine

He's a poor mans version of Becks for me. Very very good if you give him space, but unlike Becks, if you deny him space he has pretty much nothing.

Can still understand why Mourinho sold him, a cracking player of course but not indispensable.
Mourinho was an idiot for selling him
Him and Lukakau

sammyvine

His general play is awful. People only rate him because of his numbers, which, to be fair, are good, but he struggles to play 5 yard passes, at times.
He had a bad game
What is it when players have bad games fans are so quick to critercise

I've seen him have fantasric games

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
I must be the unluckiest football fan alive who's yet to watch a single fecking game where he is 'world class'. Or even a simple 'great'. Everyone tell me he's brilliant and I'm sure he must be. Just waiting for the planets to align when he does it in a game I can get to watch.

Walters_19_MuFc

He had a bad game
What is it when players have bad games fans are so quick to critercise

I've seen him have fantasric games
As I explained in another thread, this is not a knee jerk reaction. I have shared the same views on De Bruyne from the start of the season. Just have a look through the thread.

Beej

This guy is a bit like Rooney. When he's bad, he is really bad. Can look like a championship player at times.
At least Rooney works hard for the team when he's not playing well.

De Bruyne showed no tactical discipline tonight and Belgium really suffered because of the lack of width. He is technically good but only seems to think about how he can work space for a hollywood pass or a shot; never about how he can create space for others off the ball. He's like an anti-Muller.

At times De Bruyne, Fellaini, Hazard and Naingolan (and Mertens when he came on) were pushing into the #10 space and it played right in to Italy's hands because they could defend nice and compact and barely had to be drawn out and stretched.

The only player who was worse than De Bruyne was Lukaku who actually could not trap a football.

RooneyLegend

Players like him are the reason Wenger and SAF keep harping about their being no value in the market.

Players like him are the reason Wenger and SAF keep harping about their being no value in the market.
Certainly makes Gareth Bale look like a snip at 85m.

As I say, very good player, but the fact that City shelled out over 100m for him & Raheem last summer is just insane. Although in saying that, Sterling make De Bruyne look like a snip, ha ha!!

gofelx

Supports
Hamburgers
Certainly makes Gareth Bale look like a snip at 85m.
Like Bale never had a bad game in his life... He's been a fantastic buy for City, dragged them to the Champions League semi final by himself basically. 17 goals and assists in his debut season, what a flop.

gofelx

Supports
Hamburgers
Who called him a flop? I've mentioned several times that he's a very good player.
First of all you just added that second part in your post so I didn't see that. But what exactly has Bale done that makes him a much better buy than De Bruyne, also considering that he was 30m € more expensive and older when he was bought. His stats aren't better and he's surrounded by the best players in the world while KDB played with Fernandinho, Navas and Bony at times.

BlueCelery

Supports
Chelsea
Great player but I'm not convinced about him as a #10. Hazard looked more like a an attacking midfielder yesterday, he was more willing to drop deep & start attacks while De Bruyne spent the game high up the pitch continuously giving the ball away. One thing I will say is he's undoubtedly the best crosser in World football. His delivery is outstanding.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I still like him. He is fantastic at delivering the final ball. The thing is in big games when he's asked to do a job outside of the No.10 role, he doesn't put much effort. It's like he's sulks. Same thing he did against Madrid where he was abysmal.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
Top class player who had a really poor game. This recent trend of bumping a player's thread to lay into someone after a poor game is weird as feck.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I don't think his general play is awful but he has a tendency to look lethargic or disinterested when things don't go his way. When he is on his game, this isn't the case IMO. What is true is that his creative passing is comfortably better, from what I've seen, than his general playmaking - something the likes of Silva, Iniesta, Messi etc are/were particularly good at.

But I don't consider his general play to be "shit". He's got a very good overall package when things he is in form. I'd be delighted if we had him. I think he'll do really well at City.

Plus, do remember that he is only 24. Impeccable consistency comes with time, if at all.

lysglimt

Scout
First of all you just added that second part in your post so I didn't see that. But what exactly has Bale done that makes him a much better buy than De Bruyne, also considering that he was 30m € more expensive and older when he was bought. His stats aren't better and he's surrounded by the best players in the world while KDB played with Fernandinho, Navas and Bony at times.
First of all - I am not saying de Bruyne isn't a bad player. In fact he is a very good one, but I would take Bale over him any day of the week.

To say that Bale's stats aren't better is ridiculous though. In his last season for Spurs he scored 21 goals in 33 matches in the League. I am not even gonna bring his Real stats into it - but Bale had much better stats in his last season for Spurs (where his teammates were a lot worse than Silva and Aguero) than de Bruyne.

And Bale has better stats for Wales where his teammates are Robson-Kanu and Sam Vokes - than De Bruyne has for Belgium with Lukaku and Hazard.

In addition - de Bruyne depends on good teammates to be a very good player - Bale can create a lot entirely on his own. I would gladly have de Bruyne at United, don't get me wrong - but Bale is a lot better!

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Top class player who had a really poor game. This recent trend of bumping a player's thread to lay into someone after a poor game is weird as feck.
Agreed. I'd spend 50 million him happily this summer if we could sign him. This is exactly the sort of player we could with ourselves - a few years away from his prime, already a quality player, ready to consistently win matches.

Bugshot

It's calf, you're either completely wank or worldclass, nothing in-between.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
As much as I hate it, De Bruyne is a world class talent.

One bad game doesn't change that.

prarek

He is Belgium's best player imo.

It is indeed weird. De Bruyne is class and has proven it many times.

Treble

His general play is excellent most of the time. The numbers are good because he is quite good at passing and striking the ball with both feets. Even last night when he was pretty poor for his standards he created the best chances for his side (Lukaku and Origi).

I agree that there are players whose numbers are good even though their general play isn't. Rooney has been like that for most of the last 4 years.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
They are not overrated. The performances of their players at club level tells you that, the same with England of a few years ago. They are under performing IMO.
They lack Full backs, they lack a Winger (would prefer KDB centrally), and a striker who is actually good
Being top class in PL is no longer that hard a feet if a player is physically strong IMO. Don't get me wrong, it's the most competitive league undoubtedly, but there is a serious lack of talent. There are possibly just 2 players(DDG and Aguero) who can can be counted among the best 3 players in their position.
Have a look at Lukaku for example. He is possibly the most inconsistent striker in PL, and we still rate him among the best in the league. Guys like Benteke were considered good an year ago. Among their players who play in PL, Courtouis, maybe Kompany(not in Euros obviously) and Hazard can be considered WC(Hazard obviously prior to this season). KDB, Aldi are a tier below that. Dembele around the same level. Jan a couple of levels below them. Fellaini way down technically, although he is a pretty useful player due to his physique.

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
I think de bruyne is a good player but not consistent enough. That is the case with young players usually. I think at international level he and belgium need a change of coach. For city we will know a lot more about him next season. He will play for Pep who hates it when ball is given away. De bruyne is guilty of that many times.

SomeRandomPerson

That is a bit unfair. He's excellent at picking through balls, especially on the counter and would really shine under a coach who prefers a fast transition from defence to attack. A coach like Mourinho, for example, would lov...oh.

I still like him. He is fantastic at delivering the final ball. The thing is in big games when he's asked to do a job outside of the No.10 role, he doesn't put much effort. It's like he's sulks. Same thing he did against Madrid where he was abysmal.
True. He's an outstanding player but he seems to sulk when things don't go his way. By all accounts, the same happened in his time at Chelsea didn't it? He wanted to be first choice and Mourinho wasn't willing to guarantee that? You could always argue that perhaps Jose should have been more patient and willing (and his record with youth does suggest a lack of patience), but just like Fergie and Pogba, I don't think Jose was particularly in the wrong on that; which is a hard argument to make when Chelsea/United clearly came out losers in these cases.

Reactions: Mciahel Goodman

cyberman

I think de bruyne is a good player but not consistent enough. That is the case with young players usually. I think at international level he and belgium need a change of coach. For city we will know a lot more about him next season. He will play for Pep who hates it when ball is given away. De bruyne is guilty of that many times.
Young?

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
I'm glad somebody said it. Also, worth noting in spite of how poor he was he still should have had two assists after putting Lukaku one-on-one and whipping in a beautiful ball for another player quite late on to head over the bar when they should have scored. Plus, I really do not rate Wilmots, and de Bruyne seemed to be shoved out wide for large parts of the game which is not his best position. As for the trend it's a bit odd, especially for someone like Origi who made a late appearance against an Italian team firmly camped in their own half.

red4ever 79

This. Seems to be a new trend nowadays when a player has a bad game that they come in for all levels of abuse and criticism. De Bruyne was one of the best players in the EPL last season. I am still disappointed we didn't get him. He would have been a massive upgrade on Mata/Lingard/Rooney

He is a top level player who will no doubt have better days. Let's enjoy watching these type of players instead of bashing them

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Hes a good player but had a shocker last night. Didn't look interested at all.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
He's an excellent player and was easily Belgium's best player at the 2014 WC, as I recall. One poor game in a team that looked devoid of giving a shit doesn't change that. It also didn't help having those two donkeys in front of him.