Kevin De Bruyne

The BlackGaijin

He was superb even before Pep became city manager.
So was Sterling.Cmon there has been a significant improvement in both players once they started playing for Pep. Maybe the system flatters them because they both seem like different players for their national teams.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
So was Sterling.Cmon there has been a significant improvement in both players once they started playing for Pep. Maybe the system flatters them because they both seem like different players for their national teams.
KdB was doing all that before Pep too, for some weird reason Pep gets too much credit for KdB's performance. Sterling was good player too but he had average season and he has his best season in terms of goals, so you can say system helped as they create lot of chances and lot of movement but KdB was superb even before City signed him. IIRC he holds the record for most assists in Bundesliga.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
De Bruyne wasn't rested at all last season. 51 games, 15th most minutes in the league. Was rested for 4 games and come on as a sub in 3 (all cup games). You can also imagine that Belgium aren't as motivated as a team as City were so naturally you can expect a dip in form.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
De Bruyne wasn't rested at all last season. 51 games, 15th most minutes in the league. Was rested for 4 games and come on as a sub in 3 (all cup games). You can also imagine that Belgium aren't as motivated as a team as City were so naturally you can expect a dip in form.
Hmm

Revaulx

He is not very good for Belgium is he? Maybe playing in a Pep team flatters him like it does Sterling.
Player does better under good manager than bad one shock!

He was playing ridiculously deep alongside the hopeless Witsel. He looked great on the few occasions he was able to get further forward.

He’s a whiny prick though.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
This stat is nuts;
  • It took 49 minutes and 10 seconds for Belgian playmaker Kevin De Bruyne to make his first successful pass in the match. His second pass (68:11) assisted a goal for Lukaku.
49 minutes to make a successful pass. Surely that can't be true?

roonster09

Scout
This stat is nuts;
  • It took 49 minutes and 10 seconds for Belgian playmaker Kevin De Bruyne to make his first successful pass in the match. His second pass (68:11) assisted a goal for Lukaku.
49 minutes to make a successful pass. Surely that can't be true?
100% not true. Maybe successful pass inside the box or something but not the pass in general.

Ainu

He is not very good for Belgium is he? Maybe playing in a Pep team flatters him like it does Sterling.
He was fantastic for us during our qualifying campaign for World Cup 2014, long before he was managed by Pep. By far our best player back then. He's been performing worse and worse ever since, for some weird reason. While his club level only went up, his level for our NT only went down. He hasn't played consistently well for us in years. There's rarely any urgency in his play, he messes up the simplest of passes under no pressure and his set-pieces are routinely woeful. It's like a completely different player.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
He was fantastic for us during our qualifying campaign for World Cup 2014, long before he was managed by Pep. By far our best player back then. He's been performing worse and worse ever since, for some weird reason. While his club level only went up, his level for our NT only went down. He hasn't played consistently well for us in years. There's rarely any urgency in his play, he messes up the simplest of passes under no pressure and his set-pieces are routinely woeful. It's like a completely different player.
Can he not handle the pressure?

Ainu

Can he not handle the pressure?
I honestly don't know what his problem is. He plays more like defensive midfielder for us, which obviously isn't his best position, but is that really a reason to start messing up the simple things? He keeps maintaining he's happy to play there and he's satisfied with his own performances but at the same time he often looks frustrated out there (just look at that mental tackle yesterday). He also criticized the tactics as recently as 6 months ago, so he's not consistent in what he's saying. Whatever his issue is, we need the real De Bruyne, not this cheap knock-off we've been getting in recent years.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Well he should not be playing in a deep lying playmaker role. In most setups he should be a #10 him playing as a #8 for City only works because the spend the majority of the match in the opposition's half.

Ainu

Well he should not be playing in a deep lying playmaker role. In most setups he should be a #10 him playing as a #8 for City only works because the spend the majority of the match in the opposition's half.
I'm not a fan of our system, the 3-4-3 or 3-4-2-1 or whatever it is. A midfield three would give De Bruyne a lot more freedom going forward, not to mention we're leaving out quality midfielders in our current system (Dembélé, Nainggolan). It's not as if Carrasco is doing anything of note on that wing back position anyway, he's very poor there. I still don't think that excuses De Bruyne's performances though.

BlueMoonOutcast

Rag in Disguise
Supports
Manchester City
De Bruyne was really good yesterday, is it a City thing? He won back possession and almost gave Lukaku a tap in, if not for a great clearance. He set up the second goal with a lovely pass with the outside of his boot. He also won back possession and started the move for the third goal, all from playing out of position. What more do you want from the lad?

roonster09

Scout
De Bruyne was really good yesterday, is it a City thing? He won back possession and almost gave Lukaku a tap in, if not for a great clearance. He set up the second goal with a lovely pass with the outside of his boot. He also won back possession and started the move for the third goal, all from playing out of position. What more do you want from the lad?
Really? Considering half of the forum can't wait to start wankfest on City player, are you seriously asking that?

He made good pass for the goal but apart from that he was average to poor, same with Hazard too.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
De Bruyne was poor yesterday, too many sloppy passes for his standard.

Womp

idiot
Why is it surprising he isn't as good for Belgium? Most players aren't. Messi looks a different player when he's playing for Barcelona.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
De Bruyne was poor yesterday, too many sloppy passes for his standard.
KDB was the best player in an otherwise poor Belgium team. He was pulling the strings from midfield and looked their most likely player to make something happen. The problem was his teammates being on different wavelength.

Ainu

A City thing, really? Remember he's been "ours" for a lot longer than he's been "yours", you really think that suddenly changes our whole opinion about him? I think I can speak for most Belgians that he was pretty much our favourite player back in 2012, when he was the architect of our 2014 World Cup qualifying campaign.

Yesterday was just not good. He gave away the ball under no pressure at all far too often, his passing was loose and sloppy. His shooting was off and the less said about his set-pieces, the better. His quality shone through with the excellent move for Lukaku's goal, but that's not enough for me. I would be more lenient with him if his usual level for Belgium was better, but it isn't. We've seen far too many poor performances from him and it's becoming increasingly frustrating when his club level is world class. We want him to replicate that, we need him to replicate that if we're going to have any chance against the better sides.

Of course, people watching a highlights reel of his matches for Belgium would probably think he's world class for us as well, but we know better.

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
He was inconsistent IMO.
His involvement in the first 2 goals probably turned the game for Belgium but there were plenty of cheap giveaways too.
He seems to thrive on hard work and responsibility so should improve throughout the tournament.

padr81

Supports
Man City
He's been immense today, tearing Brazil apart with his passing, and Lukaku's brilliant off the ball running. Great changes by Martinez (he must have read what I posted)

Don Alfredo

Supports
Germany
I never want to see him as central midfielder again. Feck those managers employing him there. (he is brilliant of course, but he could be so much more)

He is the best number 10 in the game by far and that is where he should play

izec

I never want to see him as central midfielder again. Feck those managers employing him there. (he is brilliant of course, but he could be so much more)

The closer to the striker, the better

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes

He was superb for City playing deeper this past season. I actually think it's a waste to have him play as a number 10. Even in this game some of his best moments was passing the ball from deep.

Don Alfredo

Supports
Germany
He was superb for City playing deeper this past season. I actually think it's a waste to have him play as a number 10. Even in this game some of his best moments was passing the ball from deep.
His best season ever was as a 10. He should be unleashed. Others can do the tidy work behind.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Best season where? In Germany?

I'd argue his past season was an even better performance.
De Bruyne dragged an average Wolfsburg team to 2nd in Bundesliga and won the Pokal with them. I'd argue that was his best individual season.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
I hate to drag Pogba in this (who has been having an amazing world cup) but recently someone was talking about how him and De Bruyne are neck to neck but media just gives De Bruyne attention. I think that is nonsense. Currently De Bruyne is operating at an incredibly high level. He was brilliant again. Pogba has the ingredients and to be honest is a much different player but I don't like people who underrate De Bruyne.

I know I am going to get shat on for this comparison but I see Pogba as a more Gerrard type of player and De Bruyne as Scholes

3KDré

He doesn't really play 'deep' for City though. In most modern teams the wingers push in, fullbacks push up for width and the centre mids stay not too far from the defence. For City though, their fulllbacks stay back, their wingers stay wide and De Bruyne and Silva seem to push up to be two 'tens' on both sides of the pitch.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Playing in midfield for this City team suits him as he plays somewhere between a traditional no.8 and a no.10. For Belgium their CM's play where Cities holding midfielder does. For Belgium they have to play him where he played today because he can't defend in a regular midfield 2.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
The power he got on that strike was crazy. Brilliant finish. A game of 2 halves for him (and the rest of belgium, apart from Hazard today IMO), was class in the first but went quiet in the 2nd. For Belgium he needs to either be in a midfield 3 or in the front 3 like today. Putting him in a midfield 2 is a crime.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
I'm not even going to lie, I'm jealous that Man City have a world class talent on their books like De Bruyne.

What a player.

padr81

Supports
Man City
I hate to drag Pogba in this (who has been having an amazing world cup) but recently someone was talking about how him and De Bruyne are neck to neck but media just gives De Bruyne attention. I think that is nonsense. Currently De Bruyne is operating at an incredibly high level. He was brilliant again. Pogba has the ingredients and to be honest is a much different player but I don't like people who underrate De Bruyne.

I know I am going to get shat on for this comparison but I see Pogba as a more Gerrard type of player and De Bruyne as Scholes
The difference is little but atm KDB just decides things, fwiw talent wise I think Pogba has many attributes on KDB but KDB just has that thing that decides games.
He's now played a huge part in deciding two games in a row in the knockout stages for Belgium despite being not at his best until today.

I think thats the difference, when both are on it, they are amazing. When they are both off KDB is likely to leave a game with and assist or two, while Pogba doesn't do that. Both amazing players.