Kevin Strootman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam

Good news for the player. I hope we stay well clear though, way to far a risk.

Devil may care

We probably wound up with the players we did because others weren't available. If left to his own devices, I'm pretty sure LvG would opt for mainly northern European players from Holland, Germany, and Belgium.
If his knee wasn't messed up we'd have bought Vidal IMO as LvG openly praised him and Sanchez several times. I don't think he's quite as blandly predictable as some of his critics paint him, he'll look at mentality not birth certificate IMO.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
If his knee wasn't messed up we'd have bought Vidal IMO as LvG openly praised him and Sanchez several times. I don't think he's quite as blandly predictable as some of his critics paint him, he'll look at mentality not birth certificate IMO.
I don't doubt that he's interested in more than Germans and Dutch, but they would seem to be his preferred core. I wouldn't be surprised if we picked up De Bruyne, Depay Strootman, and Reus or Hummels this summer.

Mali_Zeus

I don't doubt that he's interested in more than Germans and Dutch, but they would seem to be his preferred core. I wouldn't be surprised if we picked up De Bruyne, Depay Strootman, and Reus or Hummels this summer.
That would be a good TL then.
We should avoid Strootman though.

Devil may care

Depay and Hummels seem like strong possibilities for us, but Reus signed that new deal because he couldn't get a move to Spain IMO and Strootman is a total crock.

Mali_Zeus

I reckon there will be extra scrutiny before we buy him to avoid Ruud and Hargreaves type situations, but if he receives a 100% fitness assessment then I wouldn't doubt LvG would move forward.
Even if he does I think we should pass him. 2 injuries in less than a year and not some light injuries too..

Devil may care

I reckon there will be extra scrutiny before we buy him to avoid Ruud and Hargreaves type situations, but if he receives a 100% fitness assessment then I wouldn't doubt LvG would move forward.
The board should stop him, he has had half a good season in Italy followed by 18 months of injury and there are plenty of other options around who are just as good or better.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I doubt they see it that way. If he's medically cleared with no residual signs of injury and we are interested, then there's no logical reason to not proceed.

Devil may care

I doubt they see it that way. If he's medically cleared with no residual signs of injury and we are interested, then there's no logical reason to not proceed.
Medically cleared and actually being the same player he was are two very different things, Fletcher is medically cleared but far from the player he used to be. It will be pissing money away again, like I say there are at least two options as good in the PL itself we could go for, never mind other leagues.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Medically cleared and actually being the same player he was are two very different things, Fletcher is medically cleared but far from the player he used to be. It will be pissing money away again, like I say there are at least two options as good in the PL itself we could go for, never mind other leagues.
It depends on the specifics of the situation. In Ruud's case it worked quite well.

Devil may care

It depends on the specifics of the situation. In Ruud's case it worked quite well.
Ruud was a much better player than Strootman though, thus worth the risk, plus he didn't break down a second time after the initial injury. I really hope LvG is not as obsessed with him as some think, we can get better CM's who haven't been injured for 18 months.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Ruud was a much better player than Strootman though, thus worth the risk, plus he didn't break down a second time after the initial injury. I really hope LvG is not as obsessed with him as some think, we can get better CM's who haven't been injured for 18 months.
Apples and oranges really. He had a quiet final year at PSV during his recovery year then exploded with 36 goals in his first year with us. If Strootman contributes the same we would be very lucky to have him.

Devil may care

Apples and oranges really. He had a quiet final year at PSV during his recovery year then exploded with 36 goals in his first year with us. If Strootman contributes the same we would be very lucky to have him.
He only played about 12 games in his last season at PSV and I'm sure there was some caution in his play as he got confidence back. Strootman was out for 8 months, came back and broke down again 2 months later and is unlikely to play again this season, it would be retarded to risk £40M on him when he's only had half a good season for Roma in 2 years. As far as what Strootman could contribute, there are plenty of CM's that could give us just as much or more and haven't missed 18 months with an injury, it's not like with Ruud who was clearly a stand-out striker.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
He only played about 12 games in his last season at PSV and I'm sure there was some caution in his play as he got confidence back. Strootman was out for 8 months, came back and broke down again 2 months later and is unlikely to play again this season, it would be retarded to risk £40M on him when he's only had half a good season for Roma in 2 years. As far as what Strootman could contribute, there are plenty of CM's that could give us just as much or more and haven't missed 18 months with an injury, it's not like with Ruud who was clearly a stand-out striker.
I doubt he will go for £40m to be honest. That's a massively inflated price for a player who has missed most of a year (similar to Ruud). Roughly £20 should do the trick given that Roma just bought him for less than that.

Devil may care

I doubt he will go for £40m to be honest. That's a massively inflated price for a player who has missed most of a year (similar to Ruud). Roughly £20 should do the trick given that Roma just bought him for less than that.

Why would they sell when he's only 2 years into a 5 year contract? They might as well see if he manages to regain any form next season and get a good profit. If they are willing to take £20M for him it'll tell us that they know he's shot IMO. I just see zero reason to risk it when there are so many other options that don't carry the risk.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Why would they sell when he's only 2 years into a 5 year contract? They might as well see if he manages to regain any form next season and get a good profit. If they are willing to take £20M for him it'll tell us that they know he's shot IMO. I just see zero reason to risk it when there are so many other options that don't carry the risk.
You may be right, although it will completely depend on what his medical situation is. Just because some fans on the internet are worried isn't tantamount to a solid medical assessment about his transfer. Its the latter that really counts.

Devil may care

You may be right, although it will completely depend on what his medical situation is. Just because some fans on the internet are worried isn't tantamount to a solid medical assessment about his transfer. Its the latter that really counts.
The medical assessment only tells you a player can get back on the pitch and perform, not whether he can perform at the required level he did prior to the injury, look at Falcao now, complete shadow of the player he was. We are a business and should be ran using logic, LvG should simply be told to pick one of the many CM's that can do the same job rather than risk the club's money on an injury riddled player IMO.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
The medical assessment only tells you a player can get back on the pitch and perform, not whether he can perform at the required level he did prior to the injury, look at Falcao now, complete shadow of the player he was. We are a business and should be ran using logic, LvG should simply be told to pick one of the many CM's that can do the same job rather than risk the club's money on an injury riddled player IMO.
Yep, the rest is subjective and depends entirely on the player. If LvG has confidence in him, its quite likely he would proceed.

Devil may care

Yep, the rest is subjective and depends entirely on the player. If LvG has confidence in him, its quite likely he would proceed.
In my view he should be blocked by the board in the same way Bayern don't let managers just buy their personal favourites if it defies logic and good club business. I am surprised you actually think we should spunk money on a player without him playing hardly any football for 18 months and off the back of 2 serious knee injuries, whether LvG has a boner for him or not.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
In my view he should be blocked by the board in the same way Bayern don't let managers just buy their personal favourites if it defies logic and good club business. I am surprised you actually think we should spunk money on a player without him playing hardly any football for 18 months and off the back of 2 serious knee injuries, whether LvG has a boner for him or not.
As mentioned before, we have a clear precedence in having bought Ruud. He re-aggravated his knee which caused us to wait a year, then buy him the following summer, and we know how that turned out. This is really no different in terms of the timeline and potential quality.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Fergie always seemed quite single-minded when it came to buying players. I'm not sure Van Gaal is the same, he seems to have a list of players he would like to sign by role and works his way down depending on availability. Both viewpoints have their merits and downfalls.

Devil may care

As mentioned before, we have a clear precedence in having bought Ruud. He re-aggravated his knee which caused us to wait a year, then buy him the following summer, and we know how that turned out. This is really no different in terms of the timeline and potential quality.
A precedence we got lucky with, and Ruud was a much better striker than Strootman is a CM, he was worth the risk. We have been plagued with injuries this season and have a bunch of crock CB's as well as a striker with the same injury Strootman had who is clear example of how wrong it can go. Adding more dodgy crocks is just asking for trouble. We could buy McCarthy or Schneiderlin for the same kind of money and they can do exactly what he does

Raoul

Admin
Staff
A precedence we got lucky with, and Ruud was a much better striker than Strootman is a CM, he was worth the risk. We have been plagued with injuries this season and have a bunch of crock CB's as well as a striker with the same injury Strootman had who is clear example of how wrong it can go. Adding more dodgy crocks is just asking for trouble. We could buy McCarthy or Schneiderlin for the same kind of money and they can do exactly what he does
I can't agree that we got lucky - it was probably case of a proper medical assessment and Fergie's desire to buy Ruud, which wouldn't make this any different if LvG rates Strootman highly (as he clearly does from his past comments). I don't rate the latter two very highly, so i can't agree.

Devil may care

I can't agree that we got lucky - it was probably case of a proper medical assessment and Fergie's desire to buy Ruud, which wouldn't make this any different if LvG rates Strootman highly (as he clearly does from his past comments). I don't rate the latter two very highly, so i can't agree.
It's still lucky, you cannot be sure that a player with such a serious injury will ever be the same, Falcao is much more recent proof of that currently clogging up our squad, and frankly LvG has yet to earn the freedom to be as risky as Fergie was with Ruud, the club is not in a good place right now to afford such a huge gamble. I'm not saying McCarthy and Schneiderlin are world beaters but neither is Strootman, all 3 are nothing special but all offer the same thing in regards to solid all round midfield play, the difference being the other two aren't coming off 18 months of serious knee problems and are proven in the PL.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
It's still lucky, you cannot be sure that a player with such a serious injury will ever be the same, Falcao is much more recent proof of that currently clogging up our squad, and frankly LvG has yet to earn the freedom to be as risky as Fergie was with Ruud, the club is not in a good place right now to afford such a huge gamble. I'm not saying McCarthy and Schneiderlin are world beaters but neither is Strootman, all 3 are nothing special but all offer the same thing in regards to solid all round midfield play, the difference being the other two aren't coming off 18 months of serious knee problems and are proven in the PL.
Luck has nothing to do with Ruud's success. He got injured, he rehabbed, worked hard and became world class. Same can be said of Keane's cruciate situation in 97. Players get injured and are completely capable of not only recovering, but also becoming significantly better in the process, and there's no evidence suggesting Strootman cant achieve a similar outcome. There seems to be a lot of fear mongering going on in the media and on forums, which isn't helping.

Also, I don't buy the Falcao comparison - he is simply off form much like Di Maria has been lately for a variety of reason unrelated to injuries - neither of which are related to injuries.

Devil may care

Luck has nothing to do with Ruud's success. He got injured, he rehabbed, worked hard and became world class. Same can be said of Keane's cruciate situation in 97. Players get injured and are completely capable of not only recovering, but also becoming significantly better in the process, and there's no evidence suggesting Strootman cant achieve a similar outcome. There seems to be a lot of fear mongering going on in the media and on forums, which isn't helping.

Also, I don't buy the Falcao comparison - he is simply off form much like Di Maria has been lately for a variety of reason unrelated to injuries - neither of which are related to injuries.
Of course luck is a factor, otherwise every player who has had the injury would return to their best like nothing happened, you need the healing aspect to go well and hope it hasn't killed your sharpness of movement, many players with the injury have had to alter their game. I don't see any fear mongering, I just see common sense that buying him is pointlessly risky, if he was a special talent it would be different but he's not, he's just a solid CM and there are plenty of equally good, risk free options.

His sharpness, his physical movement is completely shot, it's nothing like what is happening with Di Maria who is still doing his usual things but has been really sloppy with his final ball as he's struggling with confidence, he still looks sharp, fast and purposeful when he gets the ball, Falcao looks a shadow of the strong, alert striker he was at Atletico.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi

Strootman got injured, rehabbed, worked hard and came back. Two months later he got injured again.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Its a wait and see situation. If he's still recovering come July/Aug, i doubt anyone will buy him.
It's one of those awkward scenarios. He said he will be back for preseason, but then what if we buy him and he breaks down just as the season starts? Do we wait until he proves his fitness again, say January? Except we can't wait for then, we need a player of his type up and running as soon as the transfer window opens.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies

Problem is, Strootman's latest setback suggests his ACL reconstruction might not have been as successful as Ruud's or Keano's. A so-called cyclops lesion could well be indicative of a poorly positioned graft, and if that's the case, Strootman might never be the same player and/or injury-prone for the rest of his career. That's not fear-mongering, that's just how it is. Hopefully, it all works out for him.

Ringo 07

Thing is that even if he recovers then I think he is only predicted to be ready for action by August 'if' all goes to plan. I'd most certainly hope that we would have signed the midfielders we need long before then, preferably at the start of the summer to make sure we get the players we need and not end up having another dithering dave style summer and end up blowing 50 million on Osman at 5 to midnight on transfer deadline day in a wild panic.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Thing is that even if he recovers then I think he is only predicted to be ready for action by August 'if' all goes to plan. I'd most certainly hope that we would have signed the midfielders we need long before then, preferably at the start of the summer to make sure we get the players we need and not end up having another dithering dave style summer and end up blowing 50 million on Osman at 5 to midnight on transfer deadline day in a wild panic.
Moyes has not been the manager for almost a year now. Stop making this joke. It was not funny even then.

izec

He posted something similar before the injury, just to break down a few days/weeks after that. He is a crock, he can write what he wants on Twitter.

Ryan7

Manchester United are adamant they will not enter the bidding war for Paul Pogba - despite doubts over Kevin Strootman’s fitness.

Holland international Strootman is Louis van Gaal’s first choice option as he looks to sign a world class midfielder this summer.

The 25-year-old suffered a setback in his recovery from knee ligament damage in January - and will have to prove his fitness before United commit to a bid in excess of £40m.
More at the link: http://www.manchestereveningnews.co...ster-united-transfers-strootman-ahead-8973330

Devil may care

Not this stupidity again, we might as well burn the money and warm Liverpool's population for free.

Ryan7

I always had an inclination, that despite the injury, Strootman is still the man van Gaal wants.

Although, I'm not quite sure how Strootman must prove his fitness first when, if I'm not mistaken, he's not due back until pre season.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Two major injuries inside a calendar year... I wouldn't give Roma hardly anything, or tie all/most of the transfer fee to the player's appearances over the next x months.

Status
Not open for further replies.