Kevin Strootman

Status
Not open for further replies.

KeninDC

Rest in Peace
Wonder if agents of players with knee surgeries are the ones responsible for planting stories about clubs' interest in their clients. If that's the case-I suspect United will be linked to Strootman for as long as LVG is United's manager.

Swaters16

On the plus side if we want him his value has plummeted. 20m at most now had to be what he's worth. Still a gamble but a much safer one than north of 30 that was floating around.

Crustanoid

Kevin Strootman’s knee surgery did not go perfectly, says ex-Roma doctor
• Former club medic speculates there may be ‘no way out’
• Louis van Gaal: Manchester United’s priority is creative midfielder

Kevin Strootman made his comeback for Roma in November but suffered a relapse of his knee injury in January. Photograph: Federico Proietti/AGF/Rex
Guardian sport

Monday 23 February 2015 13.05 GMT

A former Roma club doctor believes Kevin Strootman’s latest injury problems have come about because previous surgery on his injured knee ‘did not go perfectly’, speculating that there may be ‘no way out’ for the Dutch midfielder.

Strootman, a long time target of Manchester United’s manager, Louis van Gaal, picked up the initial injury in March and underwent subsequent surgery which ruled him out of Holland’s World Cup campaign.

The 25-year-old returned to action with Roma in November but suffered a relapse in January, was forced under the knife again and with no time frame set for his return, may not play again this season.

Van Gaal reportedly remains interested in signing Strootman, provided he makes a full comeback, but Mario Brozzi, previously part of Roma’s medical staff, fears prolonged complications for the midfielder.

“My impression is that the surgery on Strootman’s ligament did not go perfectly,” Brozzi has told La Partita Perfetta on Gold TV. “I don’t know what happened to his knee, but his Cyclops syndrome results from a problem in the ligament’s position.

“The cartilaginous damage is determined by the extensive deficit. Now, if this is the situation, I see no way out. But it’s not up to me to say whether further surgery is needed.”

SammyUnited_83

Kevin Strootman’s knee surgery did not go perfectly, says ex-Roma doctor
• Former club medic speculates there may be ‘no way out’
• Louis van Gaal: Manchester United’s priority is creative midfielder

Kevin Strootman made his comeback for Roma in November but suffered a relapse of his knee injury in January. Photograph: Federico Proietti/AGF/Rex
Guardian sport

Monday 23 February 2015 13.05 GMT

A former Roma club doctor believes Kevin Strootman’s latest injury problems have come about because previous surgery on his injured knee ‘did not go perfectly’, speculating that there may be ‘no way out’ for the Dutch midfielder.

Strootman, a long time target of Manchester United’s manager, Louis van Gaal, picked up the initial injury in March and underwent subsequent surgery which ruled him out of Holland’s World Cup campaign.

The 25-year-old returned to action with Roma in November but suffered a relapse in January, was forced under the knife again and with no time frame set for his return, may not play again this season.

Van Gaal reportedly remains interested in signing Strootman, provided he makes a full comeback, but Mario Brozzi, previously part of Roma’s medical staff, fears prolonged complications for the midfielder.

“My impression is that the surgery on Strootman’s ligament did not go perfectly,” Brozzi has told La Partita Perfetta on Gold TV. “I don’t know what happened to his knee, but his Cyclops syndrome results from a problem in the ligament’s position.

“The cartilaginous damage is determined by the extensive deficit. Now, if this is the situation, I see no way out. But it’s not up to me to say whether further surgery is needed.”
£40 mil it is then? Screw it, give them £50mil.

Ekeke

Get someone else, then maybe in a few years after he's fully recovered he can be a squad option if we really want him

Devil may care

Surely that has to be that as far as our interest goes, it would be mind boggling stupid to even consider buying him until he gets another full season of good performances under his belt for Roma.

Zoo

Feel sorry for him and hope he gets back to full fitness. Moyes should have bought him in 2013.

Raw

Poor guy, can't help but feel bad for him.

It'll be an absolute joke if we still buy him after all this.

Ringo 07

Van Gaal seriously has to forget about Strootman now and instead go for Schneiderlin. Schneiderlin would be very getable, is not a crock and would be half the price of all our other central midfield targets with the potential to be as good

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Van Gaal seriously has to forget about Strootman now and instead go for Schneiderlin. Schneiderlin would be very getable, is not a crock and would be half the price of all our other central midfield targets with the potential to be as good
We need to finish in the top4 and hope Southampton don't to get Schneiderlin

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
So there's some talk in Italy that his career is over, which is terrible news for him, if true of course.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
So there's some talk in Italy that his career is over, which is terrible news for him, if true of course.
What is his condition, surely it's not career-ending?

Does he have a degenerative issue in his knee?

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Poor bloke, was turning into a cracking midfielder that would have went onto have a very good career. Hope it isn't as bad as they fear.

Wittmann45

We need to finish in the top4 and hope Southampton don't to get Schneiderlin
He is gone next summer. Not making the top 4 would only be dangerous, if United is really interested, if Arsenal go in for him and offer him similar wages, with the possible added incentive of European football

He was pissed about not being able to leave last summer. I think he's playing for a transfer at this point

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
Cartilage problems apparently, from what I've read about it. Cartilage protects the bones and the joints and stuff. Will never grow back. But he had another surgery where they made some holes in his ligament and the blood will form scarr tissue that replaces the missing cartilage - will never be as strong as the real stuff though.

But he can recover, only having a dodgy knee at 24 isn't ideal, especially for the longivity of his career and it's likely to be a permanent weak spot. No reason anymore to sign him now.

Canuckred64

How trust worthy is the opinion of an ex Roma doctor, considering how much Roma want to hang on to Strootman?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Bit naughty from the ex Roma doctor? No? @Pogue Mahone ?

Either way I think that ship long sailed.

I also think Van Gaal's interest was overplayed. He was essential to his plans for the Dutch, no doubt about that but then that's down to the fact he could only choose from a pool of Dutch players. There's other options out there and I'd be we've already started the move for them.

I hope his career isn't over though, terrible at his age.

Wittmann45

Bit naughty from the ex Roma doctor? No? @Pogue Mahone ?

Either way I think that ship long sailed.

I also think Van Gaal's interest was overplayed. He was essential to his plans for the Dutch, no doubt about that but then that's down to the fact he could only choose from a pool of Dutch players. There's other options out there and I'd be we've already started the move for them.

I hope his career isn't over though, terrible at his age.
Think so too. He often changed his formation depending on the opposition, but it was essential either Du Guzman or Wijnaldum playing next to De Jong. Considering his lack of options, its no wonder he was relying so heavily on Strootman

RikRuud

SO is he going for more surgery then? As sad as his injury is we need to end all interest in him. We do not need another promising midfielder with a bad knee.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
SO is he going for more surgery then? As sad as his injury is we need to end all interest in him. We do not need another promising midfielder with a bad knee.
From what the surgeon says that could be difficult as there isn't much left to work with. You can't polish a turd as they say.

Brophs

The One and Only
Knee blown to smithereens, former medical staff painting a pessimistic picture, comparisons to Ledley King's knees being made:

Moriarty

Yep, I've heard LvG is a stubborn dutchman :nervous:

But yeah, would be absolutely shocking if we bought him now, after pulling out of the Vidal deal for something similar.
If his knee is as bad as rumoured, surely our medical staff would put the kibosh on any transfer. Wouldn't they?

Moriarty

:lol: FFS Adebesi

That would be the logical move yeah....or we might just refuse to reinforce and wait another 12 months for Strootman :nervous:
...who might never kick a ball again. Those who don't learn from history, they say, are doomed to repeat it. I see Hargreaves MkII heading our way.

RedMachine03

Poster of Articles
@Kevin_strootman
Contrary to reports in the media I am back in training and working hard on my comeback. Please don't believe people who have never seen me in their lives, but just follow the social pages of me and AS Roma where we will keep you updated on my progress. Just for the record, I'm right on schedule to be back when preseason starts.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Happy for him. Hope he can come back. Be a shame if this did end his career.

Status
Not open for further replies.