Keys & Gray in Sexism Row

Scholesgoals

Good point, well made.

I however stand by my thought that they should not be referring rugby or boxing though. Running the line and judging is not a problem.
part of the role of a boxing ref is to physically intervene to seperate fighters, women shouldnt be doing that.

hmm, or maybe you could say you'd have to be quite a strong woman, but there is some level of physical control needed to be a ref in that field.

its definitely a massive gray ;) area.

Sam.G

Yeah, he's tried to portray himself as a man of the people. Doesn't come across great.

Lynott

for example women being paid the same amount of winnings in grand slams despite playing almost half the amount of games.
That's a joke. Male players have a right to be extremely pissed off about that.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Ugh, why do these people always have to pander to each other's ego and play up their own significance? It's cringeworthy.

You were a fecking presenter on a football show. That isn't anything remotely important or significant, so just feck off quitely and maintain a shred of dignity.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
This entire episode in a perfect example of equality going totally nuts. This has nothing to do with sexism. Gray and Keys have been hung out to dry for 'political reasons' that exist with the argy bargy world of football. I mean who the hell cares what Karen Brady thinks? She is a nobody in English football. And thats not because she is a woman but because she is a talentless nobody.

Obviously there are so many people jealous of their standing and achievements in the world of football and I am really saddened to see them have to leave in such circumstances. In my opinion, along with the emergence of the SAF era of Manchester United, they are the key factors for the success of Sky Football. Both have insightful and expert opinions on the game and their observations and commentary will be sorely missed. I would not be surprised if this decision sees SKY lose its dominance over English football and expect to see the other channels to make strong bids. i would happily switch to another satellite channel which had the two on it if they could win sufficient games.

finneh

However he portrayed himself he'd have looked like a dolt and be criticised in some way. At least he had the stones to come out without a script and take questions (that he didn't know were coming) for over an hour. He could have done what Tiger Woods did and read from a script created by a PR company.

I'm also glad he came out and said in a politcally correct way that he was saying "do me a favour, love" over Karen Brady's persecution complex, rather than in a sexist way.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Ugh, why do these people always have to pander to each other's ego and play up their own significance? It's cringeworthy.

You were a fecking presenter on a football show. That isn't anything remotely important or significant, so just feck off quitely and maintain a shred of dignity.
Not really that true. To us fans, many of us have shared a 20 year relationship with these 2 chaps. Given that football is something that I choose to commit many hours and emotions to, they have played a role in my life and I have enjoyed their presence and company.

I think my anger is towards 'the darker forces' who have manipulated this situation into this end result. Its a lose - lose for all concerned.

phelans shorts

This entire episode in a perfect example of equality going totally nuts. This has nothing to do with sexism. Gray and Keys have been hung out to dry for 'political reasons' that exist with the argy bargy world of football. I mean who the hell cares what Karen Brady thinks? She is a nobody in English football. And thats not because she is a woman but because she is a talentless nobody.
Karen Brady is much much much more talented and succesfull than either of them and has been running football clubs very well (with that blip recently) since 1993, hardly a nobody.

Obviously there are so many people jealous of their standing and achievements in the world of football and I am really saddened to see them have to leave in such circumstances. In my opinion, along with the emergence of the SAF era of Manchester United, they are the key factors for the success of Sky Football. Both have insightful and expert opinions on the game and their observations and commentary will be sorely missed. I would not be surprised if this decision sees SKY lose its dominance over English football and expect to see the other channels to make strong bids. i would happily switch to another satellite channel which had the two on it if they could win sufficient games.
Will it feck, they will only improve, Shepard is better than Keys and we just have to wait and see who replaces Gray, who himself wasn't that good an analyst.

Plechazunga

Grammar partisan who sleeps with a real life Ryan
Where Albert Stubbins scored a diving header

Sorry, what 'insightful and expert opinions on the game' does Richard Keys have? Name one, from his decades on air.

Sam.G

This entire episode in a perfect example of equality going totally nuts. This has nothing to do with sexism. Gray and Keys have been hung out to dry for 'political reasons' that exist with the argy bargy world of football.
It seems to be about both.

mean who the hell cares what Karen Brady thinks? She is a nobody in English football. And thats not because she is a woman but because she is a talentless nobody.
Talentless?

Did you have a discussion with your MIT friends and that's what you came up with? ;)

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I mean who the hell cares what Karen Brady thinks? She is a nobody in English football. And thats not because she is a woman but because she is a talentless nobody.
hmmm really? What does that make you?

Karren Brady (born 4 April 1969) is a British sporting executive, television broadcaster, newspaper columnist, author and novelist. She is the former managing director of Birmingham City Football Club. She was appointed in March 1993, when only 23 years old, and in 2002 became the first woman to hold such a post in the top flight of English football when the team was promoted. She was responsible for the company's flotation in 1997, thus becoming the youngest managing director of a UK plc, and left following the takeover of the club in October 2009. In January 2010 she was appointed vice-chairman of West Ham United following a change of ownership of the club.She has appeared on The Apprentice as an assistant to Alan Sugar and writes regular columns for Woman & Home magazine and The Sun. She has also published four books including two novels.
I'd say she's quite a successful nobody, wouldn't you?

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Sorry, what 'insightful and expert opinions on the game' does Richard Keys have? Name one, from his decades on air.
Living in singapore for a few years, Keys used to have a one hour show on Friday nights previewing the weekend games.. They were brilliant shows which i always looked forward too. I thought he was a character. Its sad, whatever the circumstances, that he has gone.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Not really that true. To us fans, many of us have shared a 20 year relationship with these 2 chaps. Given that football is something that I choose to commit many hours and emotions to, they have played a role in my life and I have enjoyed their presence and company.

I think my anger is towards 'the darker forces' who have manipulated this situation into this end result. Its a lose - lose for all concerned.
I don't feel I've shared any kind of "relationship" with either of them (you gayer).

Keys is just a boring bloke in a suit. They could replace him with literally anyone. Why the feck would I care what he thinks about Karen Brady or "darker forces". I don't care about his opinions. I don't understand why anyone would even give him the time to air them.

He fecked up, therefore he can move along.

Gray an' all. Neither have anyone to blame other than themselves for their own behaviour. Neither offer anything to football, and I dont want to read football headlines that have nothing to do with football. Especially not when they're about some thick cnut's self pitying opinions.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Talentless?

Did you have a discussion with your MIT friends and that's what you came up with? ;)
nope. Thats just plainly obvious when I see her open her stupid mouth on shows like The Apprentice.

Sorry mate, helping run a company like Alan Sugars does not fill me with any excitement at all. Execs like her are two to a penny.

Plechazunga

Grammar partisan who sleeps with a real life Ryan
Where Albert Stubbins scored a diving header
Living in singapore for a few years, Keys used to have a one hour show on Friday nights previewing the weekend games.. They were brilliant shows which i always looked forward too. I thought he was a character. Its sad, whatever the circumstances, that he has gone.
Really? He's always seemed like a stuffed suit to me. Competent but bland. And now we find out he's also a bit socially backward.

My mate who's a commentator and has done work there says him and Gray are universally loathed at Sky. Hearsay, but he's one of the least likely people I know to bullshit, and the release of the footage suggests they're certainly not well loved.

phelans shorts

nope. Thats just plainly obvious when I see her open her stupid mouth on shows like The Apprentice.

Sorry mate, helping run a company like Alan Sugars does not fill me with any excitement at all. Execs like her are two to a penny.
That's just not true, just look at her record, simply open your eye's to the fact that she is a very good businesswoman.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Gee, with open minded thinking like this, anyone would think you'd either grown up or are dragging yourself into this century..
I never once said that they were not capable (Perhaps I did jokingly but I made that obvious). My beef is the mass hysteria surrounds comments made by Gray and Keys.

finneh

That is on one deal she made before she was a director, involved in football et al, clearly shows she has her own Business acumen.
I'm not saying she's a moron (not that I have any idea of the context/content of your quote), but lets not paint her as some kind of incredibly gifted person. She was born into an incredibly rich family who gave her the best education possible and she used every contact her father had to help her achieve success.

She is an intelligent woman who has an incredible persecution complex as to how women are treated in business. She is a complete hypocrit as she doesn't always moan about the "leg-up" wealthy people get over the poor, but is quite happy moaning about how it's so hard for her and others because they are women. Not to mention that she's quite happy to be on the payroll of two men who are undeniably a million times worse than Grey/Keys, whilst also positively discriminating in favour of women to try and redress this fictitious balance.

Dont be silly

How many football clubs have you convinced your boss to purchase and let you run at the age of 23?
My Dad doesn't have the reel of contacts her dad had within the footballing world to open doors for me left right and centre, also I'm not 23 until next month so who knows :).

Lynott

That's just not true, just look at her record, simply open your eye's to the fact that she is a very good businesswoman.
Let's keep an open mind about this aspect. She may just be fortunate. It is very possible that she is an average business womean who has had some breaks.

I mean there are people working in banks in the City making millions a year and financial geniuses they are not. I have a cousin who runs a hedge fund company and he barely got a pass degree but got a job by a chance meeting in a pub. Once in he had to do very little to become veru successful.

Some people get the breaks.

Sam.G

I thought she worked for WHFC.

Execs like her may well be ten-a-penny. But she ain't talentless.

Feedingseagulls

However he portrayed himself he'd have looked like a dolt and be criticised in some way. At least he had the stones to come out without a script and take questions (that he didn't know were coming) for over an hour. He could have done what Tiger Woods did and read from a script created by a PR company.

I'm also glad he came out and said in a politcally correct way that he was saying "do me a favour, love" over Karen Brady's persecution complex, rather than in a sexist way.
Yet Karen had complained about endemic sexism in football generally, an accurate assessment dismissed because he thinks she has a persecution complex (he says) - now just ask yourself from where his judgement stems - almost certainly his own (sexist) preconceptions.

The fact that he didn't realise that on every reasonable interpretation he was simply confirming her judgement makes it risible as well as odious.

Lynott

Yet Karen had complained about endemic sexism in football generally, an accurate assessment dismissed because he thinks she has a persecution complex (he says) - now just ask yourself from where his judgement stems - almost certainly his own (sexist) preconceptions.

The fact that he didn't realise that on every reasonable interpretation he was simply confirming her judgement makes it risible as well as odious.
Don't West Ham have cheerleaders?

I know sexism is rife in football but society is hardly doing an awful lot to change it. Karren Brady complains about sexism in the sport but is happy to have cheerleaders out on the poitch before games at her club. Sky are happy to sack Gray(when it became public, not before) yet they have soccerttes on Sat morning and are happy to have their presenters posing in lads mags.

Of course sexism exists in the game. But if people are going to start getting hysterical about it then the whole lot has to be cut out.

There are massive double standards running through the core of these incidents.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Karen Brady is much much much more talented and succesfull than either of them and has been running football clubs very well (with that blip recently) since 1993, hardly a nobody.

Will it feck, they will only improve, Shepard is better than Keys and we just have to wait and see who replaces Gray, who himself wasn't that good an analyst.
Can you define 'running football clubs very well' for me please. Whats thats based on: revenue growth, profit growth, success on the pitch?

In the business world I'd say Brady is a pretty unspectacular. Id certainly never ever hire her.

finneh

I don't think it is sexist. He believes that football is not inheritantly sexist (not in the way it's being portrayed) and that she is spouting this because she is currently doing a shit PR job at West Ham. She is playing the sexism card because she has been poor at her job for the last few months and talking about sexism is a media deflection for her poor performance at West Ham (as is the Olympic stadium talk she's being doing attacking everyone at Tottenham - mere deflection).

phelans shorts

Can you define 'running football clubs very well' for me please. Whats thats based on: revenue growth, profit growth, success on the pitch?

In the business world I'd say Brady is a pretty unspectacular. Id certainly never ever hire her.
In pretty much every sense, Birmingham grew immensely under her guidance and she hasn't been at West Ham long enough for a real judgement to be made, however it has been an unspectacular start.