Khéphren Thuram

I can imagine Jim negotiating with himself in the mirror.
1otri4.jpg

If this guy is available for £20million surely we have to be all over this. Even if he only ends up being a squad player, it's a good investment for a young player with good potential.

If this guy is available for £20million surely we have to be all over this. Even if he only ends up being a squad player, it's a good investment for a young player with good potential.

Yeah with a tight budget we need to be looking at shrewd deals like this

Yeah the scouting bit is the odd part
It may be that we're just being seen to do the right thing to anyone that may think we're being underhand by buying players from an affiliate of INEOS. If we're ticking all the boxes (scouting etc) then it gives the authorities less to accuse us of!

From what I know he's a talented all rounder, more for the squad and less to be a partner for Mainoo. Maybe in a 3 with mainoo and a DM?
Obvious Nice links but it's a cheap price, great age, so we should be all over this. Makes Mount pointless but I'd rather Thuram based on what I know about him

He's an attacking mid?

Not exactly. He's more box-to-box. Generally plays on the left of midfield in Farioli's 4-3-3. If he joined United, he'd be competing with Mainoo/Eriksen/Mount for the #8 role alongside Casemiro (if he stays) and Bruno.

Not exactly. He's more box-to-box. Generally plays on the left of midfield in Farioli's 4-3-3. If he joined United, he'd be competing with Mainoo/Eriksen/Mount for the #8 role alongside Casemiro (if he stays) and Bruno.

Eriksen is going. So is Amrabat and probably Casemiro. We need another midfielder.

from my experience in redcafe there is no one as knowledgeable in the French league then these two.

@kouroux @JPRouve

Yeah. With our current setup he makes no sense. You can't play Mainoo, Thuram and Bruno at the same time in a 4231.

Why would he join United to be a cover for anyone?

- We're a bigger club
- we can triple his salary
- he will get plenty of games with United. Eriksen played 28 games last season and he's not a first teamer.
- United's midfield is hardly Real Madrid's so there's still a chance of him being able to get first team football

Is he any good? The way he’s being described sounds like he’s a Tanguy Ndombele type, and i rate Ndombele skill and talent minus the laziness

- We're a bigger club
- we can triple his salary
- he will get plenty of games with United. Eriksen played 28 games last season and he's not a first teamer.
- United's midfield is hardly Real Madrid's so there's still a chance of him being able to get first team football

It would be one of the dumbest move possible for him unless we change our setup. Replacing Eriksen means playing around 1000 minutes in the league, that's half of what he plays right now. Being a squad player for Real Madrid could makes sense, you join a club at the top of Football and their setup actually has a role for him, United is the opposite. There is plenty of clubs were he could increase his wage and be in a situation that actually makes sense.

If we sign him, it could mean that we intend to address the gaps in midfield by playing a double pivot. Although, we have seen the formation change to 2-2 box at times. This guy looks to have all the attributes of a good b2b. Would be a no brainer to replace Ambrabatman.

Yeah. With our current setup he makes no sense. You can't play Mainoo, Thuram and Bruno at the same time in a 4231.
The way I see him would be the 4th midfielder in our group to backup either of Bruno/Mainoo so he'd get plenty of game time (replacing/improving on Mount). It doesn't make sense if you assume Mount has any role in our squad going forward though. But I'd be all for getting rid of Mount as I just think he's completely unsuited to what we need and replacing him with Thuram. Eventually just moving on Bruno and having a 3 of Thuram, Mainoo and a sitting mid.

Eriksen is going. So is Amrabat and probably Casemiro. We need another midfielder.
We need a starting #6 (which he isn't) we have to account for Mount and McTominay realistically. Thuram only makes sense if Mount is going somewhere.

It would be one of the dumbest move possible for him unless we change our setup. Replacing Eriksen means playing around 1000 minutes in the league, that's half of what he plays right now. Being a squad player for Real Madrid could makes sense, you join a club at the top of Football and their setup actually has a role for him, United is the opposite. There is plenty of clubs were he could increase his wage and be in a situation that actually makes sense.

I hate being a devil's advocate. That's were I usually end into trouble. However here we are.

A- Playing with Manchester United has its perks both on the pitch and off it.
B- United are very generous in terms of salaries
C- Squad players do exist.
D- He's still 23 years old. Thus a year or two as cover/competition for a first team place will hardly hurt him.
E- United's midfield is hardly the powerhouse of old. Our first team CM will probably be made up of a nearly 30 year old Bruno, an extremely talented but still young Mainoo and we'll probably buy a DM on a budget. That's a midfield Thuram can break into as a first teamer in the near/long future.

I won't dare comparing my knowledge of French football to yours so I stand corrected on the matter. However he seems to have a quite diverse skillset (ie he's hardworking, he's physical, he's quick, he's got good technique etc). Someone like him and Mainoo can develop into a wide variety of roles from DM to B2B right to an AMC. That increases his options of making it at United.

We need a starting #6 (which he isn't) we have to account for Mount and McTominay realistically. Thuram only makes sense if Mount is going somewhere.

Is he an AMC though? He looks more of a B2B or a hardworking playmaker. McT will probably be sold for the right price and he's not a very good player. Regarding Mount there are very few people (negative goal difference is one of them) who think he can play at the base of a double pivot.

I hate being a devil's advocate. That's were I usually end into trouble. However here we are.

A- Playing with Manchester United has its perks both on the pitch and off it.
B- United are very generous in terms of salaries
C- Squad players do exist.
D- He's still 23 years old. Thus a year or two as cover/competition for a first team place will hardly hurt him.
E- United's midfield is hardly the powerhouse of old. Our first team CM will probably be made up of a nearly 30 year old Bruno, an extremely talented but still young Mainoo and we'll probably buy a DM on a budget. That's a midfield Thuram can break into as a first teamer in the near/long future.

I won't dare comparing my knowledge of French football to yours so I stand corrected on the matter. However he seems to have a quite diverse skillset (ie he's hardworking, he's physical, he's quick, he's got good technique etc). Someone like him and Mainoo can develop into a wide variety of roles from DM to B2B right to an AMC. That increases his options of making it at United.

A- Is totally bogus, there is no reality to it when United aren't a top club and even then United isn't the only club offereing similar perks.
B- While that's true, United aren't the only club being generous.

A-B are both some of the worst reasons to join a club, it would indicate that from a Football standpoint the player has his priorities completely wrong.

C-D Squad players but someone like Thuram should aim for that at 23 and if he does it shouldn't be for a club that doesn't have a role for him and isn't at the top of European Football. And at 23 it is exactly when this kind of move can totally shift your career for the worst, it's when players should put Football above everything else and put themselves in a position to get the largest and deserved contract possible between the age of 25 and 30.

E- The issue with United midfield is that there isn't a role for him without changing the setup and your proposition was as a predetermined backup.

And my opinion would be different if United had a role for him, if it was as a starter, if the current manager had shown a willingness to rotate players without it being linked to injuries, if we didn't have Mount who has not played and will take a large amount of available minutes when fit, if we weren't stuck with a 4231 involving Bruno playing every minutes of every games. And no Thuram, Mainoo, Bruno and Mount would compete for the same two positions.

A- Is totally bogus, there is no reality to it when United aren't a top club and even then United isn't the only club offereing similar perks.
B- While that's true, United aren't the only club being generous.

A-B are both some of the worst reasons to join a club, it would indicate that from a Football standpoint the player has his priorities completely wrong.

C-D Squad players but someone like Thuram should aim for that at 23 and if he does it shouldn't be for a club that doesn't have a role for him and isn't at the top of European Football. And at 23 it is exactly when this kind of move can totally shift your career for the worst, it's when players should put Football above everything else and put themselves in a position to get the largest and deserved contract possible between the age of 25 and 30.

E- The issue with United midfield is that there isn't a role for him without changing the setup and your proposition was as a predetermined backup.

And my opinion would be different if United had a role for him, if it was as a starter, if the current manager had shown a willingness to rotate players without it being linked to injuries, if we didn't have Mount who has not played and will take a large amount of available minutes when fit, if we weren't stuck with a 4231 involving Bruno playing every minutes of every games. And no Thuram, Mainoo, Bruno and Mount would compete for the same two positions.

We had better days but we're still Manchester United ie one of the most supported clubs in the world. Very few people outside Italy knows whose Juventus RB is but they'll certainly know a Manchester United player when they see it. Regarding perks not many pay the salaries we pay. Luke Shaw would be 5th highest paid player at Liverpool (alongside the likes of MacAllister and Alisson). He plays like 15 games last season.

Regarding him joining as United as a squad player well You're thinking rationally as a mature person would. We're talking about a 23 year old here. I did way more crazy things at age 23 then joining Manchester United as a squad player. Not that I had the chance. ;)

Seriously its all about the project in place which might change radically especially if negative goal difference is sacked. Thuram knows our owners (INEOS), he must trust them at this point and he should have enough football IQ to understand that our midfield is hardly the CM of old when breaking into first team was close to impossible.

We had better days but we're still Manchester United ie one of the most supported clubs in the world. Very few people outside Italy knows whose Juventus RB is but they'll certainly know a Manchester United player when they see it. Regarding perks not many pay the salaries we pay. Luke Shaw would be 5th highest paid player at Liverpool (alongside the likes of MacAllister and Alisson). He plays like 15 games last season.

Regarding him joining as United as a squad player well You're thinking rationally as a mature person would. We're talking about a 23 year old here. I did way more crazy things at age 23 then joining Manchester United as a squad player. Not that I had the chance. ;)

Seriously its all about the project in place which might change radically especially if negative goal difference is sacked. Thuram knows our owners (INEOS), he must trust them at this point and he should have enough football IQ to understand that our midfield is hardly the CM of old when breaking into first team was close to impossible.

If we are being honest, he has no reason to trust them. They didn't improve Nice and haven't shown any ability to do it. And if I'm being honest, he already made a mistake by leaving Monaco for Nice, Monaco were in a very bad spot but had a better track record when it comes to developing players and being a CL team and that's exactly what they did unllke Nice.

50/60 Million for both would be great business and strengthen us massively in two key areas. Seems too easy...
Yes and the best thing about it would be that we wouldn't drag those transfers for too long, so we could get them here very early on and look for other positions.

If we are being honest, he has no reason to trust them. They didn't improve Nice and haven't shown any ability to do it. And if I'm being honest, he already made a mistake by leaving Monaco for Nice, Monaco were in a very bad spot but had a better track record when it comes to developing players and being a CL team and that's exactly what they did unllke Nice.
Other than offer huge wages and a starting spot there are no incentive for any young player to join the current Utd. It is just just too risky for their development given the track record of Utd in the past 10 years.

Is he an AMC though? He looks more of a B2B or a hardworking playmaker. McT will probably be sold for the right price and he's not a very good player. Regarding Mount there are very few people (negative goal difference is one of them) who think he can play at the base of a double pivot.
Mctominay will almost definitely stay, Casemiro and Eriksen will likely leave. So you gotta plan the midfield around that. Mount will stay of course, he won't be sold after 1 injury hit season. So realistically we are filling in 2 spots around Bruno, Mainoo, Mount and McTominay. Where Thuram would fit in a well balanced squad would be in place of Mount IMO, as he can play deeper as a ball carrying box to box or as the more advanced alongside Mainoo in a 3.

Realistically it won't happen, but it's a great price if true for what you'd be getting. Sadly our squad is a mess and you gotta plan based on the players who we are stuck with as well, which is an expensive/high wage injury prone squad player who doesn't fit us that well in Mount. Stuff like Mount, Antony and others are what will take us some time to fix and there's no magic fix for it.

Why can't we get both?

When was the last time we signed 2 players from the same club the same summer?

When was the last time anyone did?

I remember a few instances ages ago. Like Spurs signed 2 young english players from the championship. It almost never happens. And in this instance whats in it for Nice? I'm sure they're prepared to lose 1 big player like any club must be prepared for that. 2 seems more like giving up their own ambitions towards the top of the league and europe. I dont think thats part of Ineos' gameplan to nosedive Nice so that we can get 2 players

I remember a few instances ages ago. Like Spurs signed 2 young english players from the championship. It almost never happens. And in this instance whats in it for Nice? I'm sure they're prepared to lose 1 big player like any club must be prepared for that. 2 seems more like giving up their own ambitions towards the top of the league and europe. I dont think thats part of Ineos' gameplan to nosedive Nice so that we can get 2 players

From Nice's perspective, they actually make some money out of them? Todibo I'm not sure on but Thuram's contract is certainly up next season.

Eriksen has a contract till 2025, Casemiro 2026. How can Utd ship them out? Saudi?
Eriksen has been saying for months he wants to play more and will almost definitely leave, Casemiro is wanted by Saudi clubs. Yes of course teams will negotiate for them, normal transfer business.

From Nice's perspective, they actually make some money out of them? Todibo I'm not sure on but Thuram's contract is certainly up next season.

Sure, like we're hoping to make some money out of our players as their contracts come up? You need to keep some of your best players if you have any ambition of success. The same reason we arent looking to sell our best

2 years ago, Licha and Antony. Wish we had stopped at 1 :lol: