Kieran McKenna | Close to signing long term deal to stay at Ipswich

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
One stat I saw that made me nervy was that Ipswich were 3rd in the Championship for most conceded shots per 90 at 10.8 per game. We’ve had a bit of an issue with that.
You read it wrong. Ipswich were the 3rd best, meaning only 2 teams conceded less shots than Ipswich.

moodyred

I really don't envy him if he's going to be our manager next season because the expectations are going to be so high. Personally I don't think he's quite ready right now to be our manager. He already experienced the pressure when he was only a coach, imagine what will it be when he's going to be in the front ?
2 good seasons at lesser team and lower leagues doesn't Equate to the PL and Manchester United with all due respect.
Agree with you. The EPL isn't anything like the lower leagues. We shouldn't be taking such risk with managerial appointments.

AndyMUFC

People comparing him to some of the bigger managers around that did well in their first jobs also underestimate the culture factor. It's no coincidence that Pep, Arteta and Alonso are all Spanish, or that Germany has produced Klopp, Tuchel etc.

British/Irish managers still have a lot to prove in the modern game to show they're anywhere near as tactically astute as their European counterparts.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
People comparing him to some of the bigger managers around that did well in their first jobs also underestimate the culture factor. It's no coincidence that Pep, Arteta and Alonso are all Spanish, or that Germany has produced Klopp, Tuchel etc.

British/Irish managers still have a lot to prove in the modern game to show they're anywhere near as tactically astute as their European counterparts.
How are they going to prove it if no one will give them the job in the first place?

AndyMUFC

How are they going to prove it if no one will give them the job in the first place?
I agree but I think the problem is when they are given a chance in recent years at top clubs, it doesn't tend to go well. Moyes here, Potter and Lampard at Chelsea, Hodgson at Liverpool etc.

Howe has done a good job at Newcastle to be fair, though I think even then there's doubts that he's going to be the manager to take them to the top.

The culture thing is definitely a factor.

In Rainbows

I agree but I think the problem is when they are given a chance in recent years at top clubs, it doesn't tend to go well. Moyes here, Potter and Lampard at Chelsea, Hodgson at Liverpool etc.

Howe has done a good job at Newcastle to be fair, though I think even then there's even doubts that he's going to be the manager to take them to the top.

The culture thing is definitely a factor.
To be fair, Moyes, and Hodgson didn't show they kept up with the times, while Lampard was more of a nepotism hire. I don't think it's right to generalize to apply that towards McKenna.

Nicolarra90

McKenna left United because the players wouldnt respect him, they daid he was like a headteacher and laughed about his training sessions being high school level.
You are mistaking him with the guy rangnick brought from the MLS.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
McKenna left United because the players wouldnt respect him, they daid he was like a headteacher and laughed about his training sessions being high school level.
Players can throw out any manager - the key is to allow him to support him, let him throw out the trash and obviously him being good enough.

CasaStreets

@CasaStreets was one. There were a few saying it when discussing the shape of our midfield in the ETH thread. Basically saying he abandoned a double pivot to become more progressive, whilst I argued that you can do both and that other top teams do this.
“Name and shame” is a weird internet-only thing but ok seems like I struck a nerve

Yes, playing two at the base of midfield is more defensive than playing one at the base of midfield when you’re playing a back four in both scenarios.

Don’t recall ever explicitly saying you can’t be progressive with a double-pivot but you’re certainly opting for incremental protection who you sit two deep vs one.

Any other insight I can share?

Edit: One important thing about your post. You say “other top teams”. We aren’t a top team right now and we don’t have personnel to be called a top team. This is very important because teams that are playing progressive football with a double pivot have players capable in possession, retain the ball, and allow the midfield to push further forward.

Last edited:

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
I’m not sure about this. The club is too big the job is too big and we are too unstable at the moment. On top of that some of the egotistical maniacs are still here. And I don’t think McKenna is a fiery character either to deal with such a mess.
We often talk about player ego’s but I think it’s more that we don’t have a strong player/leader/captain in the dressing room to put those egos in check. It can’t all fall on the manager.

peridigm

My concern with McKenna is why couldn’t he and Carrick motivate the players when they were training under Jose, Ole, and Rangnick? Even more so under Rangnick as he was a temp.

It might be better to get someone more experienced to stable the ship for 2-3 years and see how Carrick or McKenna are doing if we’re looking for a long term solution.

Redfrog

People saying he should go to Brighton are funny.

You take the biggest job available, that’s as simple then that.

If you don’t, you write yourself out of it. You are just crying : « I don’t have the stomach, the self confidence, to take it ». Big clubs will then probably never come back.

Never heard of anyone that made that kind of decision.

Rojofiam

Makes my stomach turn already that some of the biggest Ole outers who called him a PE teacher, tactically inept and similar are now saying McKenna is a good tactician. If he gets hired, the hypocrisy will be even crazier, especially if he hits the ground running

amolbhatia50k

Makes my stomach turn already that some of the biggest Ole outers who called him a PE teacher, tactically inept and similar are now saying McKenna is a good tactician. If he gets hired, the hypocrisy will be even crazier, especially if he hits the ground running
Ole wasn’t good enough. Maybe McKenna will simply be a better manager and coach? It’s not the highest bar in the world to cross. Jose surpassed managers he worked under.

Rojofiam

Ole wasn’t good enough. Maybe McKenna will simply be a better manager and coach? It’s not the highest bar in the world to cross.
Their style is very similar. Imagine the difference in media and fan reception if we hired McKenna compared to if we rehired Ole.

In Rainbows

I don't understand the contradiction. McKenna was the assistant coach. He was put in charge of training sessions, not the tactics, and lineups. Ole had a specific type of football in mind. McKenna has to work with that, and try to squeeze out what good can come from that.

People tried telling people at the time that McKenna played more proactive football as a youth coach. Lo and behold, his football is different from Mourinho's and Ole's football now that he's the manager.

Last edited:

Rojofiam

I don't understand the contradiction. McKenna was the assistant coach. He was put in charge of training sessions, not the tactics, and lineups. Ole had a specific type of football in mind. McKenna has to work with that, and try to squeeze out what good can come from that.

People tried telling people at the time that McKenna played more proactive football as a youth coach. Lo and behold, his football is different from Mourinho's and Ole's football now that he's the manager.
It's literally very similar to Ole's football.

In Rainbows

It's literally very similar to Ole's football.
Their style is very similar. Imagine the difference in media and fan reception if we hired McKenna compared to if we rehired Ole.
No it is not. Only is it in the imaginary way Ole fans liked to imagine Ole was playing entertaining football, when he wasn't. I give credit to Ole when it came to counter attacks. Despite Mourinho's side scoring a lot of goals in his 2nd season, I felt like Mou relied more on individual brilliance compared to Ole's side who actually had better counter attacks. Despite this, Ole largely felt reactive and unimaginative when in the opposition half, therefore was also labeled with relying on individual brilliance. His counter attacks put him in good position to beat other top sides, which was great.

McKenna puts far more organization into his pressing than Ole, which was more individualistic and up to the whims of player motivation. I find that he tries to build up from the back more patiently than Ole, even if not married to possession football like someone like Pep or Arteta. I think it's been said (Ipswich fans that watch all their matches) that he adjusts his tactics depending on the opposition, even if playing the described style I said in the previous 2 sentences.

I don't understand how you can state they're very similar when pressing alone should challenge that notion, and the fact that he has his sides more comfortable and patient in the build up phase than Ole. I don't find that similar at all.

amolbhatia50k

What’s their style? Bielsa is also in some ways similar to Pep.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
You're not wrong to bring up the ridiculous slurs thrown Ole’s way. A legend of the club, who took us to a Europa League final, multiple semis, and is the only manager post Fergie to finish in the top four in back to back seasons (2nd and 3rd). Yes the wheels came off the bus (probably as much to do with the return of Ronaldo as it was Ole’s own failings), and he deserved to be sacked, but all the PE teacher stuff was juvenile, and pathetic from our fans. I hated it then and I hate it now.

But where you are wrong is in conflating McKenna’s tactical know how, adaptability and implementation with Solkjaers. Yes McKenna was at the club at the time, as an assistant coach, but it wasn’t his job, nor his right or responsibility to set us up tactically or give the players particular instructions. Not was it his role to decide playing style or mentality. To act as though the way United played under Solksjaer should be attributed to McKenna, is just plain wrong. And you do him, and yourself a disservice by suggesting such.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
We need an experienced hand. Preferably someone who has PL or other elite league experience. I don’t think we should be taking a punt on someone from the Championship when the mandate from the ownership next season is CL qualification.
Who is that, though? Do you really want Allegri, Conte or Jose? Because besides those three I don't think anyone with what you are asking for is available. May be if you can convince Zidane....but he seems to be after a specific job.

roonster09

Scout
I agree with part of this post. People who cammed Ole as PE teacher and called McKenna and Carrick as shit are just clueless, post nonsense.

You can't compare McKenna and Ole. McKenna was one of the assistant, his role is to implement what the manager wants. The way we played wasn't good enough to compete for league. Ole was much better than given credit for and far better than the shit show of this season.

McKenna should be talked about as a separate entity and based on the work he did for u18 and Ipswich as that's the only proof everyone have. No one knows the kind of role these backroom staff plays and their level of responsibilities.

jeepers

Since he went through all that Glazer/Woodward-led trash, he must know enough about the changes behind the scenes to want to come back, right? No sane person would want to come back if it was still the same shit going on.

I’m not bothered if he’s qualified enough or not. Time will tell if he gets the job. Most of us wanted EtH and were creaming ourselves when he was chosen, and looked how that has gone. I’m still EtH-in, but I really cannot accept how shit this season has gone compared to last season. It’s as if the players all do individual training and don’t know how to play as a team.

MrFishers

It's irritating they approached him days before our biggest game of the season.

croadyman

I can't help feeling he would be better off going to Brighton, the jump from Ipswich to Utd is absolutely enormous. I wouldn't want him to destroy his managerial career before it starts

gajender

I can't help feeling he would be better off going to Brighton, the jump from Ipswich to Utd is absolutely enormous. I wouldn't want him to destroy his managerial career before it starts
Make it make sense to me Croady , what exactly would he learn at Brighton that would prepare him for United's Job , if he covets United's job then he should take his chances and back himself because this opportunity may not present itself ever again .

RatPack

His will be destroyed in United.
And some of the players did not think much of him last he was here. Some of these players are still here.

ElDiabloRojo

He needs to stay at Ipswich and try and establish them before moving to a bigger club.

The pressure at United or Chelsea would devour him.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
It's irritating they approached him days before our biggest game of the season.
Not much choice with the managerial go around already triggered with Poch & Xavi leaving and Bayern still in the hunt. Also, Brighton are in the picture and are a candidate for one of our choices. If we sit around we'll only be able to get what's left or to continue with Ten Hag.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
I think if we are able to build a proper structure then the talks of "United job would devour him" or "the players would eat him alive" are moot. He would have a proper mandate from the higher ups to implement his style and stamp his authority. Agents and players will know that they can't feck around with us like they could during the Woody shit show. I am not worried about it. If he is good enough, he'll shine. Otherwise, we move on to the next one. With the new structure the recruitment won't be so manager centric that we have to get each new manager a new 25 man squad before we can hope to see some good football and results.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
One stat I saw that made me nervy was that Ipswich were 3rd in the Championship for most conceded shots per 90 at 10.8 per game. We’ve had a bit of an issue with that.
Did you not think for even a second, hang on 10.8 sounds pretty low for 3rd worst?

roonster09

Scout
Some of the posts from past are just awesome, so many clueless takes. People even being worried that Ralf might be spoiled by McKenna and should be sacked immediately.

The way people posted as if they had insights on what's happening on training ground is just something else. So much confidence on something they are clueless about.

Teja

I am almost certain that this is a terrible idea for everyone involved and he needs to go to Brighton for a few years.

Can't take yet another season that's written off even before it begins.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I am almost certain that this is a terrible idea for everyone involved and he needs to go to Brighton for a few years.

Can't take yet another season that's written off even before it begins.
If he goes to Brighton and absolutely smashes it, getting then top four as we linger around 8th-5th would you still think it was a terrible idea for him to come to United?