Kieran McKenna | Close to signing long term deal to stay at Ipswich

Ed9

Brighton is probably the least risky for McKenna, his heart is set on United and I think Chelsea are a dumpster fire he sold avoid.

United are a mess but we have been more patient with managers and he at least knows the WiFi password at Carrington.
Do you think it's still woodyrulez1234 like when he was here? I'd hope they changed it since.

Lynty

Fair play to him, he obviously backs his ability as you'd expect from someone working in elite sports.

My preference would be to keep ETH one more season and see how McKenna does in the EPL. Actually let our new directors begin sorting the structure out to make our next head coach appointment successful. But if the decision to sack ETH has already been made, my first choice is a punt on McKenna.

He knows the club, I actually feel he played a large role in the positive aspects of Ole's tenure, which was ultimately derailed by a culmination poor transfers decisions - which we can't really blame on McKenna (hopefully our recruitment will be sorted out and no future manager will be identifying targets).

SAF is the GOAT

If he's smart he'll go to Brighton and insert into his contract with them that if we call him he'll get the pass to leave them without compensation

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Crazy to see big clubs are going after Kompany and McKenna.
Kompany yes. McKenna deserves it. Got a mid table league 1 team to the prem in 2 seasons. Kompany got the favourites in Burnley into the prem but then got relegated. Imagine getting the Bayern job after being relegated into the championship.

Cantonagotmehere

I would not be surprised if chose Brighton over Chelsea. Chelsea has to be scary for most thoughtful managers at this point. I'd hate it if he went there.

DJ_21

Hope he goes to Brighton. Will be easier to get him after a year.
Will have to pay compensation if he got a 3/5 year contract with them. Like someone posted above you though, he should put in his contract a clause that will let him leave if a big club comes calling.

Munkehboi

For everyone saying he should go to Brighton and then come to us. Don't forget Chelsea had to pay Brighton £21.5 mil for Graham Potter to join them. If he's successful after his first year at Brighton, they will hold us to ransome, especially if he has at least 2 years left after that first season. Can't see INEOS paying that sort of money for him. We either get him now and pay £6mil to Ipswich for his services or we gamble that he stays at Ipswich and not Brighton or Chelsea. That's where we are with him.

macheda14

Kompany yes. McKenna deserves it. Got a mid table league 1 team to the prem in 2 seasons. Kompany got the favourites in Burnley into the prem but then got relegated. Imagine getting the Bayern job after being relegated into the championship.
But he also played exceptional football as basically the best team in the league. Kind of perfect for Bayern.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Rightly or wrongly, there is clearly a change occurring in managerial recruitment strategy among big PL clubs. There's a decent chance we end up with a situation in which 5/6 of the traditional top six (all except City) have managers that had never been in charge of a big club in the top five leagues prior to their current appointment.

Experienced managers who are also a bit set in their ways are out of favor. Everybody wants a young guy or at least a fresh face (in the case of Ange).

DJ_21

But he also played exceptional football as basically the best team in the league. Kind of perfect for Bayern.
Which got them relegated. I don’t think he’ll work at Bayern. He could prove me wrong though.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Will have to pay compensation if he got a 3/5 year contract with them. Like someone posted above you though, he should put in his contract a clause that will let him leave if a big club comes calling.
That’s true. Honestly I would like us just hiring him now give the crappy options. We have to accept where we are start from there with a long term view.

DJ_21

Rightly or wrongly, there is clearly a change occurring in managerial recruitment strategy among big PL clubs. There's a decent chance we end up with a situation in which 5/6 of the traditional top six (all except City) have managers that had never been in charge of a big club in the top five leagues prior to their current appointment.

Experienced managers who are also a bit set in their ways are out of favor. Everybody wants a young guy or at least a fresh face (in the case of Ange).
Which will make it very easy for city to get 5 in a row. Their set, with a set manager and set system. Everyone els will be going through changes and rebuilds.

Lynty

Why on earth would Brighton do that? They're a very well run club and McKenna hasn't got anywhere close the sway to demand such a clause in his contract.

We'd have to pay big money to get him out of Brighton in a year, as they're likely aware of our interest.

DJ_21

That’s true. Honestly I would like us just hiring him now give the crappy options. We have to accept where we are start from there with a long term view.
I’d be happy with that. I just think we’re destined for pochettino though. We’ve liked him since his Southampton days and it’s bound to happen one day. There won’t ever be a better chance to, he’s a free agent so will be cheap.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Which will make it very easy for city to get 5 in a row. Their set, with a set manager and set system. Everyone els will be going through changes and rebuilds.
Everyone's doing the smart move of assuming they can't beat Pep so are building for after Pep. Which is what we should've done 2 years ago and what many fans said. build to be a top team of course, but build to have your team start peaking around 2025 cause it always seemed like Pep and Klopp would be gone around then.

DJ_21

Why on earth would Brighton do that? They're a very well run club and McKenna hasn't got anywhere close the sway to demand such a clause in his contract.

We'd have to pay big money to get him out of Brighton in a year, as they're likely aware of our interest.
Then he should know to stay well clear then. We won’t be budging over a massive pay out clause just like we haven’t with Ashworth. If he goes there then he’s most likely their for at least 3 years unless it goes really bad and he’s sacked which in that case he’ll lose all interest from us top teams.

TsuWave

Brighton is probably the least risky for McKenna, his heart is set on United and I think Chelsea are a dumpster fire he sold avoid.

United are a mess but we have been more patient with managers and he at least knows the WiFi password at Carrington.
I actually think United is the least risky:

expectations are currently on the floor
club’s being hindered by FFP
fans are incredibly patient
an overhaul of squad and other parts of the club are expected/understood to be needed

a top 5/6 finish and decent football would buy him crazy amounts of goodwill and a platform to build on here. At Chelsea that’s most likely a sacking, and I doubt that at Brighton he’ll get the level of backing he’d get here.

Munkehboi

Blooms a very astute business man. I'd imagine if McKenna asked for such a clause, the minimum release would be £25mil or more. They still have to pay £6mil to Ipswich to release him from his contract there.

DJ_21

Everyone's doing the smart move of assuming they can't beat Pep so are building for after Pep. Which is what we should've done 2 years ago and what many fans said. build to be a top team of course, but build to have your team start peaking around 2025 cause it always seemed like Pep and Klopp would be gone around then.
Ye we should have and then we’d be in a position now where Arsenal are and we could have at least challenged them. It’s in peps hands, he knows he could win 6 in a row if he wanted but I think sooner or later he’ll want a new challenge and be like he’s won everything here. I think next year he’ll be aiming for another treble and then call it a day at city if he got that.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I’d be happy with that. I just think we’re destined for pochettino though. We’ve liked him since his Southampton days and it’s bound to happen one day. There won’t ever be a better chance to, he’s a free agent so will be cheap.
I think Pochettino will struggle here. I liked his work for Spurs but he seems to suit that kind of low stakes environment much more.

DJ_21

Blooms a very astute business man. I'd imagine if McKenna asked for such a clause, the minimum release would be £25mil or more. They still have to pay £6mil to Ipswich to release him from his contract there.
No ones paying 25m for him and McKenna will know that. Could a manager resign though if he wanted and then join a new club that way?

macheda14

Which got them relegated. I don’t think he’ll work at Bayern. He could prove me wrong though.
Got them relegated as the worst team. But their position in the championship was akin to their position in the Bundesliga

DJ_21

I think Pochettino will struggle here. I liked his work for Spurs but he seems to suit that kind of low stakes environment much more.
I agree. Some managers just don’t have it to manage top teams and thrive under less pressure. Think he’s one of them who can work at underdog teams and overachieve rather than work at a favourites team and exceed expectations.

Lynty

Then he should know to stay well clear then. We won’t be budging over a massive pay out clause just like we haven’t with Ashworth. If he goes there then he’s most likely their for at least 3 years unless it goes really bad and he’s sacked which in that case he’ll lose all interest from us top teams.
I agree

It may be the reason we're rumored to have had a change of stance on ETH's job. We were probably banking on McKenna staying at Ipswich for a year, but now its clear that he could move - we've may have decided to take a punt on our first choice target. I'm guessing it's a cheap punt too, with only a year left on a contract that was initially signed when they were in League 1. We only have to pay ETH out his remaining year. It makes perfect sense why we'd consider this a low risk gamble.

A lot of noise coming from McKenna's side as well, which makes me think he's alerting us/stalling for his preferred destination. He could of quietly signed for Brighton a few weeks ago, when they knew De Zerbi was going.

Valencia Shin Crosses

I actually think United is the least risky:

expectations are currently on the floor
club’s being hindered by FFP
fans are incredibly patient
an overhaul of squad and other parts of the club are expected/understood to be needed

a top 5/6 finish and decent football would buy him crazy amounts of goodwill and a platform to build on here. At Chelsea that’s most likely a sacking, and I doubt that at Brighton he’ll get the level of backing he’d get here.
Agree with this. Taking the job at United is about as little pressure as there will ever be around it at the current moment. I mean many fans are still fine keeping the manager that guided us to 8th with almost relegation level performances throughout the year, so expectations for anyone in that position are on the floor currently.

I’m happy with getting McKenna in. Provided we reshape the squad quickly and get much younger.

Munkehboi

No ones paying 25m for him and McKenna will know that. Could a manager resign though if he wanted and then join a new club that way?
Agreed, they shouldn't and other than Chelsea, they wouldn't pay that sort of money. Bloom's going to protect his assets though. He'll maximise any value for his players and manager.

roseguy64

I'd be all for us trading in ETH for a gamble on Mckenna. It's not like there's any real outstanding candidates out there currently (unless you think Tuchel is the man).
Yeah if the board don't fancy Tuchel then I'd prefer McKenna over Pochettino who'd be 3rd choice above any others.

miked99

We've struggled for years. The next appointment has to be right. It just has to. We can't fail again. Newcastle will be the next city sooner or later, it's merely a matter of time. We have to get good before they do or it's a very long way back to the top.

With that in mind, appointing someone based on that fact they've had two good seasons in League One and the Championship would be absolute madness.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
'He should go to Brighton' is the new 'We should be in at that price'.

Yeah, he should join Brighton & continue the tradition of finishing in the bottom half of the table. That'll definitely prepare him for the top jobs.

TrailMonkey

I'm curious about McKenna and how he might do well for us, but the media will be on his back as early as pre-season if results/performances are poor. I just don't see them giving him time to adjust and embed his identity etc. If he's given the backing of SJR and co, and he has the right people around him then he might be strong enough to get himself and the club into a position where genuine progress is being made. That's a big IF though.

I don't know enough about his backroom staff etc, but if United were to announce his arrival tomorrow - and bring his team with him - then I'd honestly welcome this as I see nothing from ETH and his planks that's going to move us forward.

saivet

He's clearly holding off to see what happens with the United job. He's in an extremely strong position right now, 2 PL clubs actively chasing him and perhaps the United job may be an option too.

jakko

Supports
Chelsea
I don't want McKenna. I don't want Do Zerbi either. I definitely won't want Kompany.

Not sure why I do want, give Frank another go maybe.
Frank Lampard?
Jesus christ.

FerociousCorgis

Agree with this. Taking the job at United is about as little pressure as there will ever be around it at the current moment. I mean many fans are still fine keeping the manager that guided us to 8th with almost relegation level performances throughout the year, so expectations for anyone in that position are on the floor currently.

I’m happy with getting McKenna in. Provided we reshape the squad quickly and get much younger.
yeah really are some good points people are making with this united job. Could be the ultimate buy low moment for a manager. Add in that klopp is leaving and pool could be taking a step back as well. If a manager really backs this new group and the people being brought in at the top id think it would be the perfect time for someone to jump on the united ship.

DJ_21

McKenna might not be ready yet. Poch might be good for the first couple of years to build with him and then jump onto McKenna unless Poch does really well and improves us massively… I’m not gonna lie I wasn’t the biggest fan of us going for Poch but I’m starting to warm to the idea… especially if he can get us top 4 regular.