Kieran McKenna | Close to signing long term deal to stay at Ipswich

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
We shouldn't rewrite history just because he's the flavour of the moment, be failed at United once already. He needs to go to another club and succeed there before he comes back here. He should go to Brighton.
He did not, hes never managed United and whilst he was a coach here he was always rated extremely highly, ETH also wanted him to stay on

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
When did Brighton become this crucial step in the ladder that everyone has to go through before they can reach the top? A club which has finished in the bottom half for in 5 of the 7 seasons they have been in the league. Four of those five times 15th or lower.

On top, even if he is a mild success with them we would have to pay gbp 20m to acquire his services.

Blood Mage

He did not, hes never managed United and whilst he was a coach here he was always rated extremely highly, ETH also wanted him to stay on
Ole, Phelan, McKenna and Carrick were basically co-managing the team together. He had a big role in that failed management team.

Green55

Presumably he was working under Solkjaers directive
How can he be responsible whilst working under Solkjaers directive?

Cassidy

What's your explanation for our disastrous 21/22 campaign? Ole wasn't some authoritarian manager suppressing McKenna's influence on the team and ignoring his tactical advice.
You know this because?

Ole, Phelan, McKenna and Carrick were basically co-managing the team together. He had a big role in that failed management team.
Oh really we're they ok.
The coach who was brought up from doing a great job with the youth team became co manager did he? Alright then

Cassidy

Presumably he was working under Solkjaers directive

How can he be responsible whilst working under Solkjaers directive?
Not sure why you are asking me that question to be honest

luke511

When did Brighton become this crucial step in the ladder that everyone has to go through before they can reach the top? A club which has finished in the bottom half for in 5 of the 7 seasons they have been in the league. Four of those five times 15th or lower.

On top, even if he is a mild success with them we would have to pay gbp 20m to acquire his services.
Exactly, nobody that suggests it as a good idea seems to take the compensation into consideration. Brighton know what the crack is, they’ll know utd and Chelsea will be on the prowl, they’ll have the fee as high as they possibly can.

We’re much better off taking the risk now whilst expectations are low.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Where are you basing this on?
Was in an Athletic report somewhere that Ole essentially delegated tactics and coaching to Carrick and Mckenna.

Squad was warm to him but found him "school mastery", but feck em.

mu4c_20le

We showed more patterns of play under Ole than ETH and that was probably down to McKenna

Eplel

Was in an Athletic report somewhere that Ole essentially delegated tactics and coaching to Carrick and Mckenna.
I don't take the Athletic and their hateboner for United very seriously, to be frank.

Remember the geese

Fair enough. There were plenty of leaks about how underwhelmed the players were by the coaching at the time and nearly everyone on here wanted McKenna gone.
They had a cheek. I was underwhelmed by them. I was certainly not one of those who doubted McKenna's abilities. I actually wanted him to be our caretaker manager after Mourinho was sacked.

Cassidy

Fair enough. There were plenty of leaks about how underwhelmed the players were by the coaching at the time and nearly everyone on here wanted McKenna gone.
As there always is, we don't even know if they are true and even if they are what makes you think these players know what good coaching looks like have any of them won the PL?

Blood Mage

If he ends up being the new coach I'll back him but we should let him have a season with another club in the PL first is just what I'm saying.

Cassidy

If he ends up being the new coach I'll back him but we should let him have a season with another club in the PL first is just what I'm saying.
I don't necessarily disagree with that and I think he should stay at Ipswich, but you actually said he already failed here which is complete nonsense

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
We shouldn't rewrite history just because he's the flavour of the moment, he failed at United once already. He needs to go to another club and succeed there before he comes back here. He should go to Brighton.
:lol: Failed at what?

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
We shouldn't rewrite history just because he's the flavour of the moment, he failed at United once already. He needs to go to another club and succeed there before he comes back here. He should go to Brighton.
This is the only fanbase that demands more accountability from assistant managers than from the actual managers themselves.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I don't take the Athletic and their hateboner for United very seriously, to be frank.
Then don't bother with any journalism. They're the closest most accurate source you could get.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
From everything we were told he had a huge role in the management of the team at the time and wasn't just putting out cones in training. I really don't think my opinion is that ridiculous.
It absolutely is as you know very little about what was happening behind the scenes. Ole was the boss and the coaching staff had to work to his tune, coach his crap signings etc

Eplel

Then don't bother with any journalism.

Sports journalism? I actually don't, the level is so low that I don't understand why other do bother that much with speculative articles.

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
This is the only fanbase that demands more accountability from assistant managers than from the actual managers themselves.
And only fan base who spouts so much rubbish about coaches or things they have no clue about.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Sports journalism? I actually don't, the level is so low that I don't understand why other do bother that much with speculative articles.
OK, then you have no basis to actually conclude tactics and coaching was not delegated by Ole. Good work.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
And only fan base who spouts so much rubbish about coaches or things they have no clue about.
Yup, I remember during SAF's last few seasons, Phelan was derided on here as the guy who put the cones out at training because he didn't have a sexy Portuguese name like Queiroz.

And then the moment Moyes came in and sacked the old staff, the Caf did a complete 180 and Phelan & Rene were suddenly regarded as the geniuses who had been holding the club together.

SATA

He’s a United fan? Didn’t know that

He should be staying at Ipswich instead of going to Brighton. I can understand if he wants to go to Chelsea though

roseguy64

The dickheads we have in our dressing room would swallow him without dressing. McKenna won’t be able to do anything what he has done at Ipswich. To do that we have to rid of players like Rashford who are at the moment bigger than any manager even the club.
Every successful team has them. Andy Cole had arguments with Sir Alex along with multiple others. No dressing room has perfect role models. Players on successful teams hated each other at times.

It's just if the coach can get them all to buy in and work with his plan. And to manage the different personalities.

People love to make it out as if once you get rid of everyone and only work with x or y then that'll not bring up similar issues in the future. People are people and teams are never fully cohesive.

mu4c_20le

The dickheads we have in our dressing room would swallow him without dressing. McKenna won’t be able to do anything what he has done at Ipswich. To do that we have to rid of players like Rashford who are at the moment bigger than any manager even the club.
As opposed to the angels we had back then in Schmeichel, Keane, Stam..

Eplel

OK, then you have no basis to actually conclude tactics and coaching was not delegated by Ole. Good work.
I just don't consider rumours facts, that's all. For some it's convenient to do so.

roseguy64

Sell Rashford and you’ll find that’s half the problem gone. Fernandes, Martinez and Shaw will be the senior figures in the dressing room, and they won’t stroll around taking the piss whenever it suits them. They’re good role models.
How do you know that Rashford isn't a good influence? And that Fernandes, Martinez and Shaw are all good role models? And that they're the only ones?

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
As opposed to the angels we had back then in Schmeichel, Keane, Stam..
I guess in a way it's fair to say that SAF was the biggest dickhead of them all, which was necessary to keep such players in check :lol:

roseguy64

Respect is earned, not given. And that is based on ability, not age.

If he gets the team playing well and the players start playing good football, which will help their own profile then you will quickly see the players respecting him.
Yep, agreed. If you handle them well and with consistency you'll get them along with you. Easier though if you have a long established track record.

mu4c_20le

I guess in a way it's fair to say that SAF was the biggest dickhead of them all, which was necessary to keep such players in check :lol:
Damn proud of it too. Got rid of Incey by telling him "I'M the only guv'nor here!" :devil: