Kieran McKenna | Close to signing long term deal to stay at Ipswich

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
I actually really hope we take a punt on him.

We've tried the big name approach in and it doesn't guarantee success.

We're going into the new season with a new part owner, CEO, DOF and TD, why not go for a new manager.
I know it comes across as 'starting again', but to be fair, I'd bin most of this squad, so whether it's Ten hag or somebody else, it should be a fresh start.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Starting to think he will be United manager next season

SungSam7

Tough decision in the board room. Do you get a guy who has done remarkable things in the lower divisions to take over a sleeping giant or risk losing him to another club.

Funny as it sounds, I think we have ETH for another season. Injuries may save his job....

Adamsk7

We’d be crazy to hire him. Good manager but we need as close to a sure thing as we can get. He’s not been tested at all at the top level. It’ll be like Ole all over again (almost literally).

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
What is his style of play like? Having watched a bit of YouTube and it seems like he’s not a high possession guy, they don’t light up the passing stats chart.

I’m terrified that we’ll have the next Potter on our hands with this guy where we look okay at some things but have no real defined style or identity.

Munkehboi

What is his style of play like? Having watched a bit of YouTube and it seems like he’s not a high possession guy, they don’t light up the passing stats chart.

I’m terrified that we’ll have the next Potter on our hands with this guy where we look okay at some things but have no real defined style or identity.
4231 - Plays out from the back, double pivot, likes to overload one side - usually right side to release Davis and Broadhead on the left or Broadhead will go more centeal from the LF position to pull another defender with him. They usually attack one side with thier WB, usually Davis on the left and use one of the double pivots to cover his position ao the opponent cant exploit the space. They press high and have the highest running stats in the leauge. Ipswich are very versatile, they can play short or go long but they are direct and like to play vertically. McKenna has shown he is very adept at targeting an opprnants weakness and that's why they have scored almost 190+ goals in two seasons.

Not sure if it can be labelled as a defined style but I see a lot of Pep's Man City's style but without the over the top possession. Ipswich also play a lot in transitions by creating these overloads to keep the ball in the oppositions half. I think it's just modern football tactics.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He's gonna get thrust into a job higher than where he should be sadly. Hope he is up to it. Should've jumped to Brighton IMO but Chelsea and United will battle to try and get him just in case to not miss out or whatever, and possibly ruin him.

lex talionis

I can't possibly know if McKenna (great college in Southern California, by the way) is ready for Old Trafford, but if INEOS have decided to sack E10H and go bold, Kieran would be the man for the job.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
We’d be crazy to hire him. Good manager but we need as close to a sure thing as we can get. He’s not been tested at all at the top level. It’ll be like Ole all over again (almost literally).
Like who?
Mourinho was surely a 'sure thing' when we tried that method

inthetrenches

It's a shame for Ipswich but it makes sense for him to leave.

Whenever these teams get promoted with limited money who've managed to get a good run going in the Championship and surprisingly get promoted (eg. Huddersfield, Luton, Sheff Utd, Cardiff, West Brom) they almost always go back down and on the rare occassion they survive it's by playing defensive football.

This means McKenna will end up either getting branded a failure for not keeping Ipswich in the PL with a fraction of the resources of the rest of the league or if he miraculously stays up if will be playing defensive football and he'll be put in the Dyche/Frank column of decent manager unsuited for top clubs because they're too defensive (nevermind that Frank was really attacking in the Championship with Brentford).

Either way he'll almost certainly be less likely to get a top job next summer than this summer.

Oscar Bonavena

He would be a total shot in the dark but who knows, he could be amazing.

No matter who we get in though, they'll still have to deal with a pile of deadwood.

TrebleChamp99

Incorrectly predicted ten Hag’s departure
It's been all Brighton up until now.
Chelsea lats push but hell know it will essentially rule himself out of a united job if he's sacked.

One he'll of a punt by them.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
After being burned badly by their first managerial appointment in Potter it’s fecking shocking that we may be about to do the same thing and appoint a guy from a much lower level to lead a team with CL qualification as a mandate next season.

We’re going to have a manager who the supporters are extremely skeptical about from day 1, again just like Potter.

OldTrevil

Chelsea is a circus. His best decision would be staying at Ipswich, and worse going to Brighton.

Supports
Chelsea
After being burned badly by their first managerial appointment in Potter it’s fecking shocking that we may be about to do the same thing and appoint a guy from a much lower level to lead a team with CL qualification as a mandate next season.

We’re going to have a manager who the supporters are extremely skeptical about from day 1, again just like Potter.
That would be the case with any of the managers we're currently linked to though. They are all the same profile, and although they seem to be the lesser mentioned names I'm not a huge fan of De Zerbi or Thomas Frank's characters from what I've seen in interviews etc.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Chelsea is a circus. His best decision would be staying at Ipswich, and worse going to Brighton.
I hope he doesn't go to Chelsea, but if the option is to go there or stay at Ipswich it's an easy decision. He'll be financially set for life even if those imbeciles sack him in a few months. He also might really work there, in spite of the clueless hierarchy.

It's a bit more tricky if he's choosing between Brighton and Chelsea though, a sound club to take the next step or money.

If we're serious about him though I cannot imagine he wouldn't prioritise his boyhood club.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Between McKenna and Kompany we could end up with two of the biggest clubs in the world being managed by guys whose greatest managerial accomplishment is playing some good stuff in the Championship.

KeanoMagicHat

Between McKenna and Kompany we could end up with two of the biggest clubs in the world being managed by guys whose greatest managerial accomplishment is playing some good stuff in the Championship.
Well Arteta’s accomplishment before Arsenal was helping out a few Guardiola training sessions and he turned out alright to be fair.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I hope he doesn't go to Chelsea, but if the option is to go there or stay at Ipswich it's an easy decision. He'll be financially set for life even if those imbeciles sack him in a few months. He also might really work there, in spite of the clueless hierarchy.

It's a bit more tricky if he's choosing between Brighton and Chelsea though, a sound club to take the next step or money.

If we're serious about him though I cannot imagine he wouldn't prioritise his boyhood club.
I doubt we are serious about him. Based on the reporting it seems Chelsea and Brighton are more in it than we are. For him, it makes sense to move imo - these opportunities don’t keep coming.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
He shouldn't go to Chelsea nor United as his next destination. Brighton will suit him. Another 2 years will do him a world of good. Managers have a long career and don't have to rush it.
In 2 years chances are United would be more stable, hopefully. So less shit he has to deal with.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
All the talk are for him to either going to Chelsea or Brighton, with us being only a passing mention due to his previous association with us. :(

msjmohd83

either Chelsea or United, the fans will turn on him once there's first sign of trouble...best bet for his career is to go to Brighton.

mikeyt

He should 100% go to Brighton. Chelsea and us are huge pressure cookers and both clubs are currently a shit show. His stock is high so I can see why he's looking at Chelsea and maybe us if we get rid of ETH as he may not get the chance again but if he goes to Chelsea in that complete circus, I'd bet he'll be out of work next summer (unless he miraculously does the double or something).
Brighton have a great record with young upcoming coaches and seems to be a great environment. That would be the smart move!

AneRu

I pray he is more patient and calculative than just going to us or Chelsea cause the moment things go wrong he won't get a chance to make them right. The expectations will just bring unreal pressure in a league where the top 3 is locked because Chelsea or United will buy the players needed to close the gap but I am sure if they get all or even close enough to City, Liverpool and Arsenal.

Brighton, on the other hand, will build with him and in a few years jobs of this calibre will open up again because they are always sacking managers, he just doesn't have to be the one getting sacked in a few years. However Chelsea have a young side and are a couple of right signings away from clicking so it could be a gamble worth taking and if it blows up he can take a few years off and start again.

Gavinb33

I mean this is plainly false, Ipswich has been a great place for him but let's be real they are 90% certain to be relegated despite what he does, look at the bottom of the league this year for the past however many seasons the promoted clubs always struggle and mostly are relegated, Chelsea doesn't come around every week despite what's going on, it's probably safe to say Mckenna will likely never be more wanted than he is now

Real Name

I mean this is plainly false, Ipswich has been a great place for him but let's be real they are 90% certain to be relegated despite what he does, look at the bottom of the league this year for the past however many seasons the promoted clubs always struggle and mostly are relegated, Chelsea doesn't come around every week despite what's going on, it's probably safe to say Mckenna will likely never be more wanted than he is now
Still, going to Chelsea would be suicidal for his career.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
I think everyone agrees that United need a major overhaul of their playing staff. INEOS have started to recruit in the 'backroom' side of things, so structurally we will have a solid base, this should enable the new regime to identify, and put into place a plan of selling and recruiting players, including the academy lads. To me, United need a more hands on coach than a pure manager, so McKenna would fit in well with that, plus the fact that he knows, or is aware of some academy players already, so will know, more or less, their capabilities.
Next season will be a season of many changes, so I'm not expecting United to be challenging for the top, but competing for the Champions League places, with good efforts in the cups, but most importantly, playing with a style and a passion that is pleasing to the eye, and to the heart. I believe that McKenna could, and should be the man in charge, and that both he, and a new United squad, would grow together, similar to what Arteta has done at Arsenal.

Marcelinho87

This is only the second season where all 3 promoted clubs have gone back down together so chances are one of them stays up, could well be Ipswich.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Did he have any ties to us before the role? Is he a United 'fan' or anything like that?