Kieran McKenna | Ipswich manager

tomaldinho1

Would be great to see him and Carrick get back into the PL. obviously a bit of a longer road for him but clearly doing well in lower leagues.

Munkehboi

8 wins on the bounce, 24 goals scored and 0 goals conceded. I see a lot of praise for Carrick but McKenna is doing a fantastic job at Ipswich. Plenty of bigger teams will be looking at him if they get promoted this season. Future manager for us maybe?

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
6-0 win against Charlton today. GD +52.

Plymouth 41 +27 86
Ipswich 41 +52 85
- - -
Sheff Wed 42 +38 84

IRN-BRUno

From what I've seen they are easily the best side in League 1. Sheffield Wednesday's recent form has been quite poor so finishing in the automatic places should be relatively comfortable now.

The step-up to the Championship is a big one but I think they'll do okay next year, you look at Sunderland this season who've managed it successfully despite not having a huge budget. It'll be interesting to see if we loan any players there.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
Jesus, everyone keeps winning! Could end up with 2 teams on 100 points.

Feeling happy to be a point ahead of Sheff Wed with a game in hand.

We have a difficult game away at Barnsley midweek, who are one of the form teams right now.

Munkehboi

Jesus, everyone keeps winning! Could end up with 2 teams on 100 points.

Feeling happy to be a point ahead of Sheff Wed with a game in hand.

We have a difficult game away at Barnsley midweek, who are one of the form teams right now.

Its so tight up there, its quite compelling thats its a three horse race. Think GD could play a very important part come the end of the season. Thankfully for the Tractor boys, you've got a massive lead in that department!

IRN-BRUno

Should confirm promotion this afternoon. Just need to win at home to Exeter who had the majority of their first team missing last week which left them playing a RB at CF.

In the last 13 games they've won 12 and drawn 1 with 37 goals and 2 conceded. Fair to say they've handled the pressure well!

Abraxas

I mean, operating at United is a different ballgame entirely. We don't know that these guys will ever be material for a club of this size. So it's not really one in the eye for those that thought they were out of their depth.

My stance is it was pretty damn hard to analyse them. There wasn't enough information to go on and the outputs we were judging them against had so many variables attached to them that wasn't their responsibility (poor managers, poor recruitment) that it was very difficult. Imagine the were here now under ETH, the outlook would be completely different.

I'm just glad to see them get out there and show they're talented young managers and let's see where it takes them.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
I mean, operating at United is a different ballgame entirely. We don't know that these guys will ever be material for a club of this size. So it's not really one in the eye for those that thought they were out of their depth.

My stance is it was pretty damn hard to analyse them. There wasn't enough information to go on and the outputs we were judging them against had so many variables attached to them that wasn't their responsibility (poor managers, poor recruitment) that it was very difficult. Imagine the were here now under ETH, the outlook would be completely different.

I'm just glad to see them get out there and show they're talented young managers and let's see where it takes them.
And all the players that stabbed these talented coaches in the back as they went out the door have proved they belong at this level?

Constantly buckling under the pressure, under different managers and coaches, I think it's fair to say 90% of these players shouldn't be anywhere near a club like United and should have no say in who coaches or manages them.

Zen86

And all the players that stabbed these talented coaches in the back as they went out the door have proved they belong at this level?

Constantly buckling under the pressure, under different managers and coaches, I think it's fair to say 90% of these players shouldn't be anywhere near a club like United and should have no say in who coaches or manages them.
People liked to label everything as “poor coaching” when they were here. Buckling under pressure? Poor coaching. Inability to control a game? Poor coaching. Misplacing a pass, missing a sitter, being caught out of position, making a stupid tackle. Poor coaching.

The problem was something more fundamental.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
People liked to label everything as “poor coaching” when they were here. Buckling under pressure? Poor coaching. Inability to control a game? Poor coaching. Misplacing a pass, missing a sitter, being caught out of position, making a stupid tackle. Poor coaching.

Yup, I said something similar last year.

I think Ten Hag is the first manager since SAF that I had complete faith in, but in order for him to have succeeded he needed to have the whole team completely gutted (obvio not possi in 1 year, more like 3), I'm amazed that we won a trophy and are in another final with these players - probably thanks in part to Martinez and Casemrio.

But the players here are just not cut out for this level.

If you don't perform at a top club after 2 seasons you need to be shipped out (unless you were 18 or 19 coming in, then you get a longer grace period) - but players like Sancho who has had no real impact for two years? They need to go, AWB? Needs to go, McTominay? Needs to go etc

This club has become a nursing home for the mentally weak and character deficient players, we need to become way more ruthless to become anywhere near successful.

Ish

Lights on for Luke

Tbf, I don’t think anything @Abraxas said was siding with the players. In truth, it was difficult to analyse the impact of Carrick/McKenna from the outside looking in. I think the majority on here recognised them (more McKenna for what he achieved at the club) as talented but no one was quite sure of their level of input.

It’s why, no matter what, the manager always takes (or should take) full accountability. He’s the man in charge, ultimately, so I never had a bad word to say about either of these 2. Really happy that they’re both doing well and hopefully they get their chances at a higher level and take it.

And you’re both correct about the players of course. A few don’t have the talent for this club, and a few don’t have the heart. Hopefully EtH and the revamped structure continue to raise the standards and clear out the deadwood. It’s love overdue for some of these overpaid players.

Congrats Ipswich & McKenna!

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Tbf, I don’t think anything @Abraxas said was siding with the players. In truth, it was difficult to analyse the impact of Carrick/McKenna from the outside looking in. I think the majority on here recognised them (more McKenna for what he achieved at the club) as talented but no one was quite sure of their level of input.

It’s why, no matter what, the manager always takes (or should take) full accountability. He’s the man in charge, ultimately, so I never had a bad word to say about either of these 2. Really happy that they’re both doing well and hopefully they get their chances at a higher level and take it.

And you’re both correct about the players of course. A few don’t have the talent for this club, and a few don’t have the heart. Hopefully EtH and the revamped structure continue to raise the standards and clear out the deadwood. It’s love overdue for some of these overpaid players.

Congrats Ipswich & McKenna!
Definitely need that culling and none of us know what the dynamic was between Ole, Phelan and these two young coaches. They are showing they are talented, but who knows if they were being ignored when they gave an opinion. Glad they are going on to show their mettle.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Definitely need that culling and none of us know what the dynamic was between Ole, Phelan and these two young coaches. They are showing they are talented, but who knows if they were being ignored when they gave an opinion. Glad they are going on to show their mettle.
Yeah absolutely. Hopefully they continue their upward trajectory.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
It was just a bad match. Both are showing now to have a completely different philosophy to how Ole played. Carrick has gone on record saying LVG influenced how he sees the game now and McKenna was always believed to be what he is showing now. Hoarding them under a manager with a completely different philosophy was a waste of talent.
I won’t blame the players for thinking them clueless(if reports at the time are to be believed) because instructions won’t look aligned. The lack of players with top quality understanding of the game would have led to such misunderstanding.
Hopefully he continues to progress and achieve good things as a manager or at least head coach.

DomesticTadpole

It was just a bad match. Both are showing now to have a completely different philosophy to how Ole played. Carrick has gone on record saying LVG influenced how he sees the game now and McKenna was always believed to be what he is showing now. Hoarding them under a manager with a completely different philosophy was a waste of talent.
I won’t blame the players for thinking them clueless(if reports at the time are to be believed) because instructions won’t look aligned. The lack of players with top quality understanding of the game would have led to such misunderstanding.
Hopefully he continues to progress and achieve good things as a manager or at least head coach.
Thing is even average players think they know more than their managers and coaches at times.

KikiDaKats

Supports
Thing is even average players think they know more than their managers and coaches at times.
That’s true. You remember when the players were leaking that LVG was overloading them with information and they were not reading their emails, the media and former players backed them up on it because football is purely instinctive.

DomesticTadpole

That’s true. You remember when the players were leaking that LVG was overloading them with information and they were not reading their emails, the media and former players backed them up on it because football is purely instinctive.
You do have to know how the other team plays and your role in the team and how to affect the other team. It isn't just go out and enjoy yourself. Funny thing is recent interviews Herrera said LVG was the best coach he worked with, so you then wonder which ones couldn't be bothered.

KikiDaKats

Supports
You do have to know how the other team plays and your role in the team and how to affect the other team. It isn't just go out and enjoy yourself. Funny thing is recent interviews Herrera said LVG was the best coach he worked with, so you then wonder which ones couldn't be bothered.
This is why this sport is so beautiful, so many variables to it.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
The standard in league one this season has been unbelievable. The tactical changes made at the top in recent years is starting to filter down to the lower leagues.

If the top three all win next week Ipswich will finish 2nd with 100 points and Sheffield Wednesday will go into the play offs off the back of a 96 point season. To put that into context Orient are running away with league two at 90 points (93 if they win their last game).

Abraxas

No, I don't think many of them have proven they belong at this level. Only the few that have won things in the game. But even they have to do it here, winning a CL at Real Madrid doesn't fill out the trophy cabinet at OT.

The difference between coaches and players is you can sack managers and coaches with ease, you cannot sack players, so quite naturally there are going to be those clinging on until the manager can reinvent the squad. So it's not really a defence of the players that they are still here, it's just a completely different scenario.

Until the club is consistently winning things the jury is out on everybody, quite clearly. But I think this is moving away from the merits and achievements of McKenna.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
We certainly came into form at the right time.
Last 14 games; won 13, drew 1, lost 0. Scored 42, conceded 2!

We’ve had the advantage of being one of the higher spenders in the league, but, that kind of form simply doesn’t happen without a manager who knows what he’s doing. Well done, Kieran!

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
The standard in league one this season has been unbelievable. The tactical changes made at the top in recent years is starting to filter down to the lower leagues.

If the top three all win next week Ipswich will finish 2nd with 100 points and Sheffield Wednesday will go into the play offs off the back of a 96 point season. To put that into context Orient are running away with league two at 90 points (93 if they win their last game).
I’ve never seen Ipswich win a league title; if it doesn’t happen this year then I really doubt I ever will!

Abraxas

Ipswich must have pretty good players to be racking up that kind of goal difference over 13 games. I would imagine it should be a squad capable of holding its own in the Championship.

Constable Odo

Weren't doing that well before they turned into the City of league one and spent over 3 million in Jan, well in buying themselves out of trouble though. Fair play Plymouth for keeping up with them despite not having that budget. League one has been mental this year.