Kieran McKenna | Ipswich manager

romufc

What did we win under Ole and what state did he leave the team in?
Oh grow up, Ole was an absolute chancer who just happened to inherit a very good team who had completely given up under Mourinho. Loved him as a player but he was a complete disaster as a manager and we’re still suffering due to his lack of leadership and cretinous decisions.

I was going to respond to the points you’ve raised but Solius has beat me to it, but I will say that we wouldn’t have won the league cup final under Ole.
He should’ve been sacked after the Europa league final debacle, that was entirely his fault.

Firstly, I have never said Ole should be in charge.

Rockets just shows what I mean, Jose left a good team but given up, thats exactly what happened under Ole.

A chancer who gets 2 top 3 finishes in the PL?

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Newcastle dominated the whole final
What?! I was at the final - we weren't dominated. We had a 2-0 lead by half time and were able to, pretty effectively, shut down the tie and keep them at arm's length. To be honest, if we weren't so scabby with our final pass, we could have won by a few more with some fantastic counter opportunities late 2nd half.

romufc

Leeds battered us in 2 games - We created the better chances, especially in the home game. The away game we won they had the edge statswise but they still lost comfortably.
Leicester battered us in 1st half - So them playing one good half is worth bringing up but not that we were excellent second half? Again, comfortably better stats for us in that game, especially xG.
Liverpool annihilated us - Yep.
Newcastle dominated the whole final - They had two shots on target. More of the ball but so what? A good manager can win the game without the ball and ETHs gameplan was perfect. Newcastle looked toothless second half.
Southampton dominated us - We had 10 men for the majority of the game ffs and we still could've won it.

Combine all the above with the fact that, you know, we've played a shitload more games than basically all of those sides who had mid-week rests or just far less fixtures in general. ETH has no proper time to train the team, just recovery and the next game.

The fact that people even have to retort this crap is insulting. You're not just chatting shit, you're basically soiling yourself and flinging it around. Absolute joke.

Right, so me saying this is insulting but its fine for all you fans to say Ole was a chancer when he finished 2nd and 3rd? Yes the football was not great but its not great now either.

Like I have always said, I think Ten Hag is the man for the job, I back him but when we play the way we are, there will be question marks too.

Its funny because even Ten Hag agreed with it, he came out saying those games we were rubbish, he knew we played badly.

The thing about Ten Hag, he knows when his team plays bad compare to previous managers.

I agree that we have played alot of games, it is difficult to train but some of the 1st half performances I have seen are similar to what we had under Ole. You and others are in your right to disagree, its about opinions.

We have better mentality but I am no way deluded in thinking we are playing some exciting brilliant football.

philipos

Back on subject ….. a friend of mine who is a season ticket holder at Ipswich says they all love him there.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Firstly, I have never said Ole should be in charge.

Rockets just shows what I mean, Jose left a good team but given up, thats exactly what happened under Ole.

A chancer who gets 2 top 3 finishes in the PL?
I disagree with the term chancer but again - Jose won’t trophies. Ole won nothing. A period of us becoming perennial losers. Two top 4 finishes were a positive but that’s where it ends with him.

ETH has done better in 8 months than Ole did in 4 years.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
People dont understand this. We are having a so called brilliant season, we could finish outside top 4, yet Ole managed 2 top 3 finishes.

Also, in the last 6 weeks we have basically played Ole Ball. Get dominated in first half, try get a goal on counter.
Bookmarked this so I can quote this next season.

Judas

Open to offers
Imagine being so wrapped up in an agenda that it consumes your entire enjoyment of a sport, seeing things completely different to how they happened in reality. It’s either that or just being clueless.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Right, so me saying this is insulting but its fine for all you fans to say Ole was a chancer when he finished 2nd and 3rd? Yes the football was not great but its not great now either.

Like I have always said, I think Ten Hag is the man for the job, I back him but when we play the way we are, there will be question marks too.

Its funny because even Ten Hag agreed with it, he came out saying those games we were rubbish, he knew we played badly.

The thing about Ten Hag, he knows when his team plays bad compare to previous managers.

I agree that we have played alot of games, it is difficult to train but some of the 1st half performances I have seen are similar to what we had under Ole. You and others are in your right to disagree, its about opinions.

We have better mentality but I am no way deluded in thinking we are playing some exciting brilliant football.
I've never said that myself. I love Ole but I don't think he was good enough tactically and the football wasn't sustainable.

Also I don't think anyone is saying we're blowing opponents away but we're showing grit, and good mentally (Liverpool aside) to get through this horrible period with a game every 3 days whilst having our first team midfield missing for the majority of it.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
People dont understand this. We are having a so called brilliant season, we could finish outside top 4, yet Ole managed 2 top 3 finishes.

Also, in the last 6 weeks we have basically played Ole Ball. Get dominated in first half, try get a goal on counter.
We played better on the counter with Ole Ball. :nervous:

Grande

so was Ole the problem? Two of his coaches are doing extremely well in managerial roles
I’m going to try a nuanced position:

Ole did a lot of stuff well, and other stuff not well enough, like Mourinho and Van Gaal before him. McKenna and Carrick likewise.

McKenna and Carrick was a part of collapsing under Mourinho, they were a part of honeymoon and hell, and slow improvement under Ole. They was also learning under Mourinho and Solskjær. What good they do know, reflects both their talents and what they have learnt under Mourinho and Ole - learning from the competence and learning from the mistakes both. After this, they ate good enough to do very good work in League One and Championship. Ole did very well in Norway and Europa League with Molde, Mourinho has done OKish with Roma in Serie A and well in Conference League. These are competent people, while obviously the difference between fighting for 2nd and 3rd spot in the PLand the top, is a very high mark. Strictly, there are no managers guranteed to achieve that.

Ten Hag for me was the best bet around available, and he has exceeded my expectations. And still it is not incorrect to remind that in results, he has not supassed or outdistanced Mourinho or Ole yet. I think he will, and I much enjoy the playstyle already, but it would be wrong to say he has achieved much better results than them. It is not easy to be adamant about potential.

You could think that the potential of Ten Hag with Carrick and McKenna as assists would be better than what we acheived Under Mourinho and Solskjær, but it’s not that simple.

At any rate, I enjoyed football under Solskjær more than under Mourinho, and under Ten Hag more than under Solskjær, and I enjoy seeing Carrick and McKenna do well, so this is the best time for me for a while watching the coaching associated with Man Utd. (Ownership is a whole other and darker matter).

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Martial was fit slightly more often, which helped massively. He’s got his uses when he’s actual able to play.
And the individual who shall not be named.
Plus, I dont think we commit as many players forward when we break nowadays.

ScholesyTheWise

Ahhh you in the one that thinks we are playing some amazing Ten Hag ball when we are getting dominated every single game?

I rate Ten Hag and full back him to bring success but people need to take of their rose tinted glasses.

Leeds battered us in 2 games
Leicester battered us in 1st half
Liverpool annihilated us
Newcastle dominated the whole final
Southampton dominated us

But yes, sorry some posters think we are playing this amazing football when in reality, we are not.
As if there's no such things as a middle ground.

The amount of matches we've played this season is astronomical.
Some of the players we have are bang average.
A lot of them are mentally weak/traumatized in footballing sense/however you want to call it.
ETH is a very very good coach (yes, much better than Ole) but will too get things wrong on occasion.

Take all this into account, and you still wonder how come we don't dominate every team for 90 minutes?

romufc

I've never said that myself. I love Ole but I don't think he was good enough tactically and the football wasn't sustainable.

Also I don't think anyone is saying we're blowing opponents away but we're showing grit, and good mentally (Liverpool aside) to get through this horrible period with a game every 3 days whilst having our first team midfield missing for the majority of it.
I agree, he wasn't good tactically and it wasn't sustainable.

The current football we are playing isn't sustainable as well though it is? It is clear because we are dropping points right?

What I said, is the 1st half of games is very similar to what we endured with ole, soak up and try hit teams on the break. Obviously with better quality in Lisandro and Casemiro, it helps us dig in and we will create a chance or 2.

People on here are acting as if I am saying Ten Hag is rubbish and we need Ole back, which is not what I have said...

romufc

As if there's no such things as a middle ground.

The amount of matches we've played this season is astronomical.
Some of the players we have are bang average.
A lot of them are mentally weak/traumatized in footballing sense/however you want to call it.
ETH is a very very good coach (yes, much better than Ole) but will too get things wrong on occasion.

Take all this into account, and you still wonder how come we don't dominate every team for 90 minutes?
There is a middle ground. I think Ten Hag is doing a good job. I have never once compared Ole and Ten Hag as coaches, I have compared the football in recent weeks to the football we played under Ole.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
I'm positively surprised that both McKenna & Carrick are doing so well in their first stints as managers. There were some rumours going around that the sessions and drills under the trio (Ole-Carrick-McKenna) were too basic and sometimes felt like youth coaching sessions. Which would be understandable considering the lack of experience and especially Ole's and McKenna's background. So I definitely had some reservations regarding both of them as managers/head coaches, felt they might lack the charisma too. Very positive first signs, hope they go on to get promoted.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Martial was fit slightly more often, which helped massively. He’s got his uses when he’s actual able to play.
The 19/20 front three would hypothetically be an enormous upgrade on what we have right now - Rashford, a fit Martial and the cnut.

romufc

I have done the same. There should be some repercussions for posts like that.
Its funny, its almost as if you cant judge things on the current situation. You have to wait a year to come back to a post about what is happening right now :lol: :lol: :lol:

AshRK

This is such a crap post. We have not played Ole ball in last 6 weeks for starters. We went to Barca and played brilliant, we played brilliant in the return leg especially in the second half.The only game we got outdone was the Liverpool game. We are playing with zero cf, his most important player in Eriksen is injured, Casemiro is suspended again. Yet, in Feb we knocked Barca out and also won the league cup.

Yeah we could finish outside top 4 but we could also finish in top 4 and win one more trophy. Ten hag has already outperformed Ole in that department and if he finishes in top 4 and wins another trophy, will out perform Jose's whole tenure here as well.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Oh I didnt realise we cant talk about whats happening this season...
This season has been good unless if you stopped supporting the club when Sir Alex retired. But next season will be the one where you look stupid.

romufc

This season has been good unless if you stopped supporting the club when Sir Alex retired. But next season will be the one where you look stupid.
Why will I look stupid If I am posting on current? Its like saying the weather is bad today... you will wait a year when its sunny to tell me hahahaha look at you a year ago you said weather was bad..

Things change... I think Ten Hag will get us playing better after another pre season.

romufc

. We are playing with zero cf, his most important player in Eriksen is injured
Calling my post a joke when this is the joke statement.

I think most people will disagree. Casemiro is our most important player.

AshRK

Calling my post a joke when this is the joke statement.

I think most people will disagree. Casemiro is our most important player.
We are playing with zero cf, unless you think Weghorst is doing an outstanding job. Eriksen role is very much underestimated. He brings control to the game. There is a reason you mentioned "in the last 6 weeks" because we lost Eriksen almost 6 weeks ago.

Tell me this we play better with Eriksen or without Eriksen?

Gavinb33

Getting this back on track to Mckenna and the job he is doing, Ipswich had a little slump in form with a lot of draws in January and into Feb but thats 5 games on the spin won with 0 goals conceded and 14 scored fantastic form.

The shit he and Carrick got from Goldbridge and his acolytes and some of the posters on here was totally uncalled for and i am glad they are both doing really well now for their respective teams

romufc

We are playing with zero cf, unless you think Weghorst is doing an outstanding job. Eriksen role is very much underestimated. He brings control to the game. There is a reason you mentioned "in the last 6 weeks" because we lost Eriksen almost 6 weeks ago.

Tell me this we play better with Eriksen or without Eriksen?
In that sense every player is just as crucial right? If we lost Casemiro, Lisandro, Shaw, Rashford for that length of time?

So was I wrong in saying that in the last 6 weeks our football has not been great? I thought it was a joke of a statement? Looks like you somewhat concur.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I agree, he wasn't good tactically and it wasn't sustainable.

The current football we are playing isn't sustainable as well though it is? It is clear because we are dropping points right?

What I said, is the 1st half of games is very similar to what we endured with ole, soak up and try hit teams on the break. Obviously with better quality in Lisandro and Casemiro, it helps us dig in and we will create a chance or 2.

People on here are acting as if I am saying Ten Hag is rubbish and we need Ole back, which is not what I have said...
No but we won’t always have such a chaotic schedule. The queen dying, the World Cup and the Europa league play off tie have combined to create one of the tightest schedules we’ll ever have. No club in Europe has played more games than us.

romufc

Getting this back on track to Mckenna and the job he is doing, Ipswich had a little slump in form with a lot of draws in January and into Feb but thats 5 games on the spin won with 0 goals conceded and 14 scored fantastic form.

The shit he and Carrick got from Goldbridge and his acolytes and some of the posters on here was totally uncalled for and i am glad they are both doing really well now for their respective teams
I really hope they do well and get promotion. McKenna was highly rated at United but alot of United fans wanted to look past it with the "jobs for boys"

With what McKenna and Carrick are doing, it clearly showed they were good coaches right? They are also playing very similar football at their respective clubs.

romufc

No but we won’t always have such a chaotic schedule. The queen dying, the World Cup and the Europa league play off tie have combined to create one of the tightest schedules we’ll ever have. No club in Europe has played more games than us.
Yes, those incidents were not the best but we have had these issues in the past, Europa league was round of 32 in previous years, we have been getting to the latter parts in the last 2/3 years.

In respects to chaotic schedule, if we want to compete in all competitions, this will happen.

The only way this does not happen over the coming years is if we get knocked out early in cup competitions. Obviously, in the coming seasons, we will have more quality in depth to cope with it.

AshRK

In that sense every player is just as crucial right? If we lost Casemiro, Lisandro, Shaw, Rashford for that length of time?

So was I wrong in saying that in the last 6 weeks our football has not been great? I thought it was a joke of a statement? Looks like you somewhat concur.
It has neither been bad. At times we have looked leggy which is natural keeping the schedule in mind and the injuries and suspension to key players. You are making it sound through your post like our football is just about playing in counter when it is not true. We did well against Barca, played like pro against Newcastle, handled Leicester and leeds away without two key players very well. Thrashed Betis and should have won by 6 or 7 goals. Played with 10 men against Southampton and mostly kept the ball well. I bet we would have lost under Ole with 10 men.

So yes, your post hardly made sense and then icing on cake you said we may finish outside top 4. Well if you want to he negative why stop there we can also finish out top 10 from here. But chances are we will finish in top 4 so your Ole comparison made zero sesnse.

And trust me I have defended Ole more than many and I still fell his tenure wasn't that bad.

Neil_Buchanan

Cock'd
The 19/20 front three would hypothetically be an enormous upgrade on what we have right now - Rashford, a fit Martial and the cnut.
We would be giving arsenal and city a run for their money with that forward line this season plus first season cavani coming off the bench.

romufc

It has neither been bad. At times we have looked leggy which is natural keeping the schedule in mind and the injuries and suspension to key players. You are making it sound through your post like our football is just about playing in counter when it is not true. We did well against Barca, played like pro against Newcastle, handled Leicester and leeds away without two key players very well. Thrashed Betis and should have won by 6 or 7 goals. Played with 10 men against Southampton and mostly kept the ball well. I bet we would have lost under Ole with 10 men.

So yes, your post hardly made sense and then icing on cake you said we may finish outside top 4. Well if you want to he negative why stop there we can also finish out top 10 from here. But chances are we will finish in top 4 so your Ole comparison made zero sesnse.

And trust me I have defended Ole more than many and I still fell his tenure wasn't that bad.
See this is where people are getting confused.

Ole was a terrible coach, I agree and I never felt comfortable that we can challenge under Ole. Under Ten Hag, I feel the way his standards are, his coaching we can be consistent in challenging.

The comparison was the style of play in the last 6 weeks. I do take the point on board about being tired etc... Fatigue has a major problem but our passing has always been an issue, I cant blame that on fatigue. Our playing out the back has always been an issue, regardless of manager.

Look at this Leicester and Leeds team, they are not good.

AshRK

See this is where people are getting confused.

Ole was a terrible coach, I agree and I never felt comfortable that we can challenge under Ole. Under Ten Hag, I feel the way his standards are, his coaching we can be consistent in challenging.

The comparison was the style of play in the last 6 weeks. I do take the point on board about being tired etc... Fatigue has a major problem but our passing has always been an issue, I cant blame that on fatigue. Our playing out the back has always been an issue, regardless of manager.

Look at this Leicester and Leeds team, they are not good.
The reason playing out from the back or lack of control is an issue is we still have players from Ole and Jose time. It takes time. Pep wasn't playing pep football in his first season, Klopp was playing chaotic football in his first half season and even next full season.

Thing is we cannot be reactive after some poor performance here and there. Our manager was hard done in the winter window. Had we signed a proper cf we may very well have challenged Arsenal.

Anyways I think this thread belongs to McKenna so we should take this topic to ETH thread.

Cheers.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
Town have just beaten their best ever period without conceding a goal; 686 minutes, or 7 and a half matches. We’ve scored 18 goals since our last one against.

Yet the form of Plymouth and (especially) Sheff Weds, means we are still in 3rd, albeit one good result away from an automatic spot.

If we miss automatic promotion and make the play-offs I can see anyone fancying themselves against us on current form.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Town have just beaten their best ever period without conceding a goal; 686 minutes, or 7 and a half matches. We’ve scored 18 goals since our last one against.

Yet the form of Plymouth and (especially) Sheff Weds, means we are still in 3rd, albeit one good result away from an automatic spot.

If we miss automatic promotion and make the play-offs I can see anyone fancying themselves against us on current form.
That’s impressive. McKenna was not known at United for his capabilities to organise a defense. Perhaps Lee Grant has been able to have an effect?

As to the bolded part, I agree - but in a one off final who knows. Hope you get promoted, by top 2 or otherwise.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
That’s impressive. McKenna was not known at United for his capabilities to organise a defense. Perhaps Lee Grant has been able to have an effect?

As to the bolded part, I agree - but in a one off final who knows. Hope you get promoted, by top 2 or otherwise.
Yeah, you’re right about that. I was careful to say that I think teams would prefer to avoid us, rather than that we’d beat anyone. So many factors, and often the disappointment of missing out on 2nd place makes a team perform badly, especially compared to a smaller team who have a good last 10 games and scrape 6th place for whom everything else is just a bonus.

SoCross

Apparently the score line over the last 9 games: 24-0.

He’s doing an amazing job there.