Kieran McKenna | Ipswich manager

SER19

I thought our failing superstars decided they were too good for mckenna? And every other coach that's dared to grace the field with them

SER19

If he takes them from league one to the premiership in 2 seasons considering the absolute state he found them, it's one of the truly great lower league achievements

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Not sure about that when Arteta is managing Arsenal, someone with literally zero first team managerial experience prior to that job. We hired Ole who had only Cardiff as top flight experience, Lampard at Chelsea had a season at Derby. I think owners are looking past the older big names now, I guess we’ll see how it shakes out.
That’s true, although I would say that Arsenal were the same as Spurs now when they hired Arteta, and United let Ole in through the back door due to him impressing as an interim. Lampard is fair, although it can’t really be of dispute that both United and Chelsea have, as a rule, hired proven managers who have won trophies or impressed at the top of European football. I think McKenna impressing at Ajax would put him more in that category, rather than impressing at Ipswich, which is more likely to get him moved out of a relegation struggle into a team with European ambitions perhaps - but probably not PL ambition.

davidmichael

https://www.footballinsider247.com/...nting-kieran-mckenna-as-next-manager-sources/

The job he’s done at Ipswich from bottom of League One to top of The Championship and the verge of promotion to the Premier League in just 2 and a half season is incredible and he was always said to be very highly rated but due to association with the Jose and Ole reigns was allowed to go.

If we had a team of Ratcliffe, Berrada, Blanc, Brailsford, Ashworth and Wilcox above him and allowed him to just coach then McKenna could be a brilliant move and a genuine long term project if we improved on a yearly basis.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Norwich away on Saturday will be a cracking game, Norwich are fighting for the last play off spot and the chance to put a dent in Ipswich hopes must be huge motivation.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Surely a far better option than Amorim, Southgate, De Zerbi or even Nagelsmann. No that I want to move away from ETH but if it happens.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I understand that he’s young and inexperienced but if someone closely associated with the club is doing an incredible job and that too within English football then he should be considered. Also you never know how things turn out - what he actually is a top manager in the making and Chelsea / Newcastle bag him and turns out they have a better manager than us for the next 4-5 years. He isn’t wedded to us in any shape or form.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
He looks like he has his head screwed on. I don’t think he’ll want to jump ship to soon, Ipswich fans love him. I think he’ll want a crack in the prem with them. If he can get them into a respectable position first season then he’ll have more interested teams.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
I understand that he’s young and inexperienced but if someone closely associated with the club is doing an incredible job and that too within English football then he should be considered. Also you never know how things turn out - what he actually is a top manager in the making and Chelsea / Newcastle bag him and turns out they have a better manager than us for the next 4-5 years. He isn’t wedded to us in any shape or form.
Don’t think Chelsea are the type of team to take a gamble on a young up and coming manager and they probably can’t afford to. Can see Chelsea wanting a bigger name. Someone like Nagelsmann

izec

Surely a far better option than Amorim, Southgate, De Zerbi or even Nagelsmann. No that I want to move away from ETH but if it happens.
ETH is an utter failure. Except for Southgate, they are all better. But still, i would take Nagelsmann and McKenna for next season over ETH any day of the week. Give me some excitement at least.

steeeb

Getting big ego players motivated is a different ball game to getting his ipswitch players motivated. Also how does he cope when things dont go well. Mouriniho is great when it goes well and has a meltdown when not.

LvG was great with kids but not with more established players that call bullshit on his methods.

A manager at this level needs to morivate to get the extra out of players.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
The good thing about going for McKenna would be that he wouldn't need that season to assess the side that we see all the time. He's worked with a lot of the players before so would know their strengths and weaknesses.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Getting big ego players motivated is a different ball game to getting his ipswitch players motivated.
Should this also not be a warning for the likes of De Zerbi and Amorim?

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Should this also not be a warning for the likes of De Zerbi and Amorim?
Basically any manager we would be able to hire this season isn't proven at the highest level I don't think.

Nagelsmann failed at Bayern, but probably has the most experience at the top level.

Potter, De Zerbi & Amorim haven't really worked with top players in their careers. You could argue that we don't really have top players any more though.

Godfather

Not that I'd be against him but how would you come to that conclusion? He's a young manager and looks promising. But to say he'd be a better option than Nagelsmann is quite bold to say the least.
I'd certainly take him over Southgate mind.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Basically any manager we would be able to hire this season isn't proven at the highest level I don't think.

Nagelsmann failed at Bayern, but probably has the most experience at the top level.

Potter, De Zerbi & Amorim haven't really worked with top players in their careers. You could argue that we don't really have top players any more though.
I would argue Nagelsmann being sacked was Bayerns mistake but the fact he got very rocky in a much more straight forward league shows how difficult it really is to make a step up.
Ten Hag was seen as the guy before he came here. This season he looks a shadow of that. It's not really talked about enough, how difficult that transition is.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
I would argue Nagelsmann being sacked was Bayerns mistake but the fact he got very rocky in a much more straight forward league shows how difficult it really is to make a step up.
Ten Hag was seen as the guy before he came here. This season he looks a shadow of that. It's not really talked about enough, how difficult that transition is.
I would argue that the issue wasn't the step up to a bigger club. Nagelsmann managed both Hoffenheim and Leipzig quite successfully in the same league. Bayern appear to have a huge problem with player power, it looked like both him and Tuchel couldn't make some calls they would like to do due to it. For example now both managers decided to shift Kimmich to RB and out of the CM - Tuchel after he knows he has to go and hinted that he doesn't have to care anymore about feelings etc, because he has to go anyway, and Nagelsmann for the national team.

Not much a manager can do when his higher-ups have the back of (some) players against him. But now everybody who has sacked him was also sacked and it becomes more and more obvious that the squad is at least as much a problem as the manager there.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I would argue that the issue wasn't the step up to a bigger club. Nagelsmann managed both Hoffenheim and Leipzig quite successfully in the same league. Bayern appear to have a huge problem with player power, it looked like both him and Tuchel couldn't make some calls they would like to do due to it. For example now both managers decided to shift Kimmich to RB and out of the CM - Tuchel after he knows he has to go and hinted that he doesn't have to care anymore about feelings etc, because he has to go anyway, and Nagelsmann for the national team.

Not much a manager can do when his higher-ups have the back of (some) players against him. But now everybody who has sacked him was also sacked and it becomes more and more obvious that the squad is at least as much a problem as the manager there.
Thats my point though. The biggest proglem with making a step up is managing player power and player inertia when trying to get a squad to buy into your methods.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Thats my point though. The biggest proglem with making a step up is managing player power and player inertia when trying to get a squad to buy into your methods.
That's not my point in that regard. A manager has no chance if the CEO backs players over the manager. The size of the club doesn't matter in that case.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Jesus christ, you guys would actually have a Championship manager over more established ones ?
Feckin hell.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
That's not my point in that regard. A manager has no chance if the CEO backs players over the manager. The size of the club doesn't matter in that case.
It does, because the bigger the club the more likely CEOs favour players over managers. They have much bigger brand and commercial value to a club.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Been having established managers since sir Alex retired hardly been great has it
So, lets get a rookie.
Anyway, as poor as our established post SAF managers have been and as incompetent as the running of the club is, they've still achieved some minor success, outside of Moyes.

So, the talk of Mckenna managing United next year, atm in time, is just comical.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I would actually be more open to Mckenna than De Zerbi. I find his achievements more impressive and he knows the club already.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Would you want De Zerbi if he was doing similar with a Championship club ?

kettledrumhamster

I don't really understand why football has to be so different to other businesses (and in reality, I expect it might not be).

This is a senior position within a business, one that will have a huge impact on the future success of the business. Why not just let people apply (approach them if you're particularly interested in them), interview a good 5/6, do some background research, get references from previous players, colleagues, directors, etc., then offer the job to the one that most aligns with your criteria (management style, leadership, vision, personality, knowledge of your business, etc.)?

Just saying "there's an Italian guy over who has had some success with a different business in a different country and he might also be good at this one, let's give him a 5 year contract" seems really stupid and wouldn't be done in other businesses.

McKenna has the right to apply, he's done unbelievable work at a smaller club in a different division but within the same country and has ample coaching qualifications. He knows the business already, its strengths and weaknesses, has probably already developed a strong understanding of many of the players, coaches, etc., and might be able to set out a vision that accords with where the business, its shareholders and stakeholders (us) wants to go. If he interviews well and sells himself, and if his references support the idea that he's a person that can extract results from the talent around him, that should be all that matters.

All of this "he hasn't won a pot" nonsense is so silly.

Reactions: Carolina Red

aeh1991

Jesus christ, you guys would actually have a Championship manager over more established ones ?
Feckin hell.
Xabi A. was the manager of Real Sociedad B before joining Leverkusen, so your argument is not strong. Excelling in the Championship is not easy either.

Red00012

Genuine question has a championship manager that’s got his team promoted to the PL ever walked away from it before the start of the season?

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
Xabi A. was the manager of Real Sociedad B before joining Leverkusen, so your argument is not strong. Excelling in the Championship is not easy either.
Excelling as a newly promoted side, against sides with parachute payments is what’s so impressive. Leicester and Leeds parachute payments alone are approx £44m each this season, whilst our entire turnover was, at the last count was £21.8m.

grahamo

The next Manager will be a "Yes Man!. The boys upstairs will be making all the footballing decisions and We will only need a coach. He's a pro when it comes to preparing for games. Why not McKenna?

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Lets be real. He is below every one of them except Southgate.
Not that I'd be against him but how would you come to that conclusion? He's a young manager and looks promising. But to say he'd be a better option than Nagelsmann is quite bold to say the least.
I'd certainly take him over Southgate mind.
McKenna was with us , was the catalyst when we played some good football under Ole and the Ipswich achievement. What exactly has others Done ?

Please don't bring the league championships with Sporting as we all know it doesn't matter in grand scheme of things.

CL Experience- he has done it with us.

Big club experience - same , he was with us.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Genuine question has a championship manager that’s got his team promoted to the PL ever walked away from it before the start of the season?
Did Scott Parker not last season? Or was he there for a few games at the start?

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
I would have a really good feeling about him being our manager. Definitely a really top coach. I’m not sure he’s ready for the pressure though. A few bad results and everyone would be calling for his head. It’s a massive gamble and he’d have to hit the ground running. Maybe one for the future.