Kim Min-jae | signed for Bayern

Status
Not open for further replies.

footballbite

Just get Ndicka on a free and keep Lindelof.
Ndicka is left-footed. Not only that but he's left-footed and used to playing as the left-sided CB in a back 3. It wouldn't make sense with Martinez and Shaw.

It'd surely be more important that Lindelof is upgraded.

Nobody trusts Varane's fitness. As he ages, it has a likelihood of worsening also.

The question to ask here is how many games have others had because Varane was injured, and then extrapolate on that for the future. I think an upcoming CB and his agent would look at that factor and fancy their chances of plentiful gametime, personally. And even in the meantime, getting enough games in to be a successor outright a couple of years down the line.
Still, KMJ likely wouldn't even be 28 or 29 until he has the chance to become first choice, by which point it wouldn't be long until he was already potentially be needing to be replaced.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
Is he able to organise a defence? Because we need defenders who are able to do that. One of the reasons Varane and Martinez work so well is because they constantly organise their defence. Compare it to Maguire and/or Lindelof who don’t do such things (other than lots of pointing)

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Ndicka is left-footed. Not only that but he's left-footed and used to playing as the left-sided CB in a back 3. It wouldn't make sense with Martinez and Shaw.

It'd surely be more important that Lindelof is upgraded.

Still, KMJ likely wouldn't even be 28 or 29 until he has the chance to become first choice, by which point it wouldn't be long until he was already potentially be needing to be replaced.
It's a factor, but he can play both CB positions and Martinez himself has been in and out of the team - as a permanent fixture at 3rd in rotation, and between filling in for one or the other from the starters, he'd get a lot of PT over a season, you'd wager.

We play an obscene amount of games over a full campaign - 4 competitions and a really savage schedule at points in the season. Unless another club of our calibre is offering him a starting spot, I doubt the offering would be unappealing, especially when understudy to a player who misses a lot of games, even when fit.

SAFMUTD

He's playing really well at the moment, he's had an impressive season. If that 45M clause is real we should definitely trigger it.

Erik the Red

He's part of the reason they are this dominant. The other defenders are also solid, but he is the reason they don't concede that much. He's from a statistical perspective a top CB, very underrated due to his nationality imo. He'd make the perfect third CB, as he can play both LCB and RCB and is good enough to challenge the other two.

Also, I think he is super fast for his physique
Interesting point about his ability to cover both centre back positions. If we haveDalot Varane Martinez Malacia across the back four, rotating with Timber covering RB / RCB, Min Jae covering both centre back positions, and Shaw covering LB / LCB. (I'm not suggesting who should be first choice and who is the cover, just highlighting the flexibility of some players). ETH is very keen for his players to be able to play multiple positions, as it allows you to have a slightly smaller squad, and gives you more chance of keeping everyone happy. Given the amount we could recoup from player sales and reduced wages if we got rid of all the deadwood (AWB, Williams, Telles, maguire, Lindelof, Bailly, Jones, Tuanzebe), these two transfers in shouldn't result in much of a net cashflow out.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I think Lindelof has proven this season he can be a decent squad player.

Maguire, Tuanzebe and Bailly should collectively fetch 45m. And we only require one to replace them all.
Yeah. i was being harsh on Lindelof. I just thought that only Maguire and Lindelof are saleable assets. Tuanzebe and Bailly, hmmm... we will be lucky if we don't have to PAY anything to take them from us.

RC89

Yeah. i was being harsh on Lindelof. I just thought that only Maguire and Lindelof are saleable assets. Tuanzebe and Bailly, hmmm... we will be lucky if we don't have to PAY anything to take them from us.
Just realised both Bailly and Tuanzebe are out of contract come summer anyway. Sell Telles!

aeh1991

Also, is it really wise to spend £45mil on a 26 year-old CB on likely big wages to just be backup to Varane?! Varane is still 29 himself, so KMJ will be wasting his peak on the bench. A younger CB would seem more sensible.
You are missing the point. One long term injury to one of the CBs and we'd need an addition anyway. KMJ would be the perfect 3rd CB constantly challenging Martinez and especially Varane or fill in when needed. And what if he is 28 by then? He would be going into his prime years and we would have found a young CB to develop in the meantime.

Is he able to organise a defence? Because we need defenders who are able to do that. One of the reasons Varane and Martinez work so well is because they constantly organise their defence. Compare it to Maguire and/or Lindelof who don’t do such things (other than lots of pointing)
It's not his main strength but at Napoli he seems to do that often. Definitely better than those mentioned.

48 hours

Knows how to hold a line

The 38th parallel

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I'd buy him just to selll him again, even if we didn't plan on keeping him :lol:

SAF is the GOAT

Don't think we're going to spend 50m in a CB this summer. I'd love to have him, but we have more urgent needs than CBs.
If you're selling Maguire for 35, 40m pounds - we absolutely can

Last edited:

Jericholyte2

I reckon we’d have takers for Maguire at +/- £35m so we wouldn’t be at too much of a loss with a €50m outlay.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Sometimes I wonder who adds the brackets in quotes like these. And most of the time theyre not helpful at all, making us the readers feel dumb that we need to be explained even the most basic things

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Ever since Park ji sung I have always liked to have the best oriental player at our club. This guy seems it to me.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Do you think Son is declining
Yeah, but we dont need him either. I feel sorry for him & kane though because they play under such defensive past it managers in conte & jose. Feel like kane is only scoring like a poacher right now

The White Pele

Seems a no-brainer at €50m. If we could get in the region of £20m for Maguire then a net outlay of £25m to refresh our CB options seems well worth it.

He could be rotated into the side with Varane so would hopefully get enough game time to keep him satisfied.

You would think that Lindelof might also start agitating for a move and if we could get £25m for him and find a suitable Bosman who doesn’t mind being 4th/5th choice then you break even.

Evan Ndicka (23) is available on a free and has racked up 5 seasons of experience in the Bundesliga but some talk around him joining Barcelona.

CB Options:
Varane
Martinez
Kim Min-Jae
Ndicka
Shaw

With no net outlay. Won’t happen as seems too good to be true and not heard much around our interest in either player.

17Larsson

Not a malefactor just a lagomorph
He's so good with the ball. Nearly all his passes are first time and he makes some great penetrating passes through the middle.
Comfortable with both feet as well

GioF

He won’t leave Napoli unless he’s coming here to start week in week out. I’d be shocked if he doesn’t sign a new contract with Napoli.

ATXRedDevil

He’s the perfect Maguire replacement. Would push Varane to start and provide for healthy rotation at Cb. Just don’t know if we can afford €45m on a CB given our other needs, as sad as that is. Damn FFP

We need an rvn

He is way too good to be a third choice CB.
Look at how many games we’ve played this season and how much we dread when lindelof or maguire get on the team sheet against the top teams, let alone any team.

last week we played Barca on Thursday and a cup final on Sunday. This Sunday we’re playing Liverpool and then Betis on Thursday followed by 2 more matches in quick succession.

An aging varane can’t handle this, nor can a fit 24 year old. We need an upgrade on the Mag/Lin and if you look at City’s centre halves of stones / ake / Dias and Laporte they all seem fine being part of a winning squad

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
One of the most aggressive CB's I've seen in a while. He goes for everything.

VanHaal'sRedArmy

Replacement for Varane much needed. Love Rafa when he's on top of his game, not sure how much of that we'll see for much longer.

LuckyScout78

I still stand with my opinion and recommendating :
United still need a beast of a CB. Hard to beat and really good to defend and protect United goal.

If Ten Hag and United is satisfy with Varane and rest of United CB options. It will cost United league title.

United need a boss and beast of CB. And Kim is the closest to that category/profile. Beside i am scouting the Benfica young promising CB Antonio Silva.

Antonio Silva and Benfica are still in the champion league and i am not sure which level Club Brugge are at. Probably Brugge belong to highest second best level of football teams in Europe. So against the best top teams in Europe. We will see his and Benfica real test.

Now i am on the Kim train. And maybe the young train from Benfica and Portugal make me change my mind. But i have seen enough of Kim that i rate him one of the best CB in the football right now. Only to the level of right now. Not compare to the max level of CB in the past in football history. I am not sure how far Kim is from Brazil and ex Inter Lucio world class level yet. But like Lucio. Kim has that hard to beat one against one skill.

But again. I am waiting with the end decision and conclusion. To conclude the head up:

Kim Min Jae vs Antonio Silva

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
He is way too good to be a third choice CB.
Eh, I'm not so sure. City are the premium example of squad depth and they had Dias, Stones and Laporte rotating last season. I don't think similar with Varane, Martinez and Kim across all competitions would be unreasonable.

And that's without mentioning City this season, where all of Dias, Stones, Laporte, Ake and Akanji have been in and out of the team in what is honestly too much competition.

Status
Not open for further replies.