Kim Min-jae | signed for Bayern

Status
Not open for further replies.

aeh1991

A third class CB would also give us tactical flexibility in changing the formation to a 3 at the back system when needed. We've been extremely lucky so far to have both Licha and Varane at their top level and injury-free for a while now. But what if one gets injured or out of form? Even 1 month without any of them would be crucial at the current state.

croadyman

A third class CB would also give us tactical flexibility in changing the formation to a 3 at the back system when needed. We've been extremely lucky so far to have both Licha and Varane at their top level and injury-free for a while now. But what if one gets injured or out of form? Even 1 month without any of them would be crucial at the current state.
Yeah need to sell Maguire and bring in third CB

cpresc

I'm not so optimistic about bringing in a 3rd defender to really challenge our defensive pairing. Varane and Licha work so well together, bringing someone in to compete with them both is IMO more likely to cause upset and instability.

Abraxas

I'm not so optimistic about bringing in a 3rd defender to really challenge our defensive pairing. Varane and Licha work so well together, bringing someone in to compete with them both is IMO more likely to cause upset and instability.
Upsetting them is higher in your thinking than the potential for Varane to be on the doctor's bench for swathes of our season, thus ending any hope of a quality duo taking the pitch?

Seems like a strange position to take. If we want to be winners we need another quality option, we play a ridiculous number of matches. Might not be the biggest priority of the window but it's certainly something I think the manager should be aware of, and probably is. I don't get vibes he likes Lindelof or Harry very much.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Would you be optimistic about our defense if either one of those two got injured for months, right after the transfer window has closed either in September or February?

Walters_19_MuFc

Just decent I'd say. Not a CB that you buy for spraying passes around like Hummels and Boateng could.
Hmm. Thanks.

I've seen how much Martinez has transformed our build up play, and can't help but feel ten Hag will want a young right footed player, who can do something similar.

It's even come to a point where Martinez is brought on as a sub to change the game in that regard.

Abraxas

Didn't he have a million passes in a game the other week? Must be seen as quite a reliable distributor if they're going through him with that regularity.

Walters_19_MuFc

Didn't he have a million passes in a game the other week? Must be seen as quite a reliable distributor if they're going through him with that regularity.
According to whoscored.com, he has attempted the second most amount of passes of a centre back in Europe (2001) after Brighton's Lewis Dunk, who has attempted 2141.

ti vu

He does get involved a lot in build up so has plenty of passes. He passed it very well, but he's not Martinez kind that can consistently dictate play, or put in line breaking pass consistently. He's more like Maguire type. I am not talking about part of Maguire but his profile which comfortable with the ball.

In Rainbows

He does get involved a lot in build up so has plenty of passes. He passed it very well, but he's not Martinez kind that can consistently dictate play, or put in line breaking pass consistently. He's more like Maguire type. I am not talking about part of Maguire but his profile which comfortable with the ball.
I heard he's better at driving forward with the ball too. The manager stated the same. So probably, a little better than Maguire in that area.

ti vu

I heard he's better at driving forward with the ball too. The manager stated the same.
That's why I say he's similar to Maguire. The driving/dribbling type with the ball. ETH wanted Timber last summer. Now weighing the option, IMO Kim Min-Jae is better at the same profile.

I may even think ETH may even try him as RB.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
He is the main guy I want from Napoli.

With his buyout clause it’s just a must buy.

Walters_19_MuFc

I heard he's better at driving forward with the ball too. The manager stated the same. So probably, a little better than Maguire in that area.
Driving with the ball was one of Maguire's better attributes before arriving at United. Unfortunately, he doesn't seem to do much of it now, although he was able to do it more when playing in a back three for England.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Doubt Napoli would give us him and Osimhen, not unless Qatar are buying them as well

cpresc

Would you be optimistic about our defense if either one of those two got injured for months, right after the transfer window has closed either in September or February?
fair point but that's what good squad players are for

cpresc

Upsetting them is higher in your thinking than the potential for Varane to be on the doctor's bench for swathes of our season, thus ending any hope of a quality duo taking the pitch?

Seems like a strange position to take. If we want to be winners we need another quality option, we play a ridiculous number of matches. Might not be the biggest priority of the window but it's certainly something I think the manager should be aware of, and probably is. I don't get vibes he likes Lindelof or Harry very much.
My opinion is that I think Varane is absolute quality, is a leader, has extensive experience at the highest level and is most certainly good enough. I think the partnership he has with Licha (and Case up ahead) is a foundation for title success and I think we have bigger priorities elsewhere than to experiment with breaking that partnership up. If this guy came in to replace Harry and except he's down one peg on the pecking order (albeit with lots of games and starting opportunities next year) then maybe that works. And I accept Varane has injury issues but think he deserves his spot at the top given his contribution to our turnaround.

top1whoisman

Scout
fair point but that's what good squad players are for
Exactly. Good squad players. We need to push on next season and ideally we have players in every position pushing and putting pressure on the "starters". Right now we don't really have that at CB.

cpresc

Exactly. Good squad players. We need to push on next season and ideally we have players in every position pushing and putting pressure on the "starters". Right now we don't really have that at CB.
But the centrepiece for title winning Napoli isn't going to come here on that premise

cpresc

Which players have we had recently that were putting pressure to start? Henderson and Ronaldo.. didn't work out, right?

top1whoisman

Scout
But the centrepiece for title winning Napoli isn't going to come here on that premise
Who knows? We all know that Varane is injury-prone and won't last forever. If you look at the games Maguire, Lindelöf & Shaw has played as CBs it's not an extremely small number. But yeah I tend to agree with you. I wouldn't have an issue with Lindelöf being one of the four, but I hope we upgrade Maguire with perhaps a young, talented one.

ysi1919

He is the real deal.
He has all the right attributes for a modern CB that TenHag needs.
Kim can play both left and right to either replace or cover Martinez & Varane. He can also compete for the starter spot even when Martinez & Varane are fit.

jesperjaap

The rumour is 45m EUR to clubs outside of Italy
I think he is a very good centre back and that fee is obviously really viable.....but still, find it hard to believe Napoli who are always such strong negotiators int he transfer market wont do something about that surely if it is true?

Also, does he come here with the choices he has when in reality, he probaboy doesnt start. Injury fee and on form Varane and Martinez start. Not that he instantly starts at other big clubs and not that he doesnt force his way in....but just dont see this transfer happening, then again Varane never saw happening and a few others too over the last decade

In Rainbows

I think he is a very good centre back and that fee is obviously really viable.....but still, find it hard to believe Napoli who are always such strong negotiators int he transfer market wont do something about that surely if it is true?

Also, does he come here with the choices he has when in reality, he probaboy doesnt start. Injury fee and on form Varane and Martinez start. Not that he instantly starts at other big clubs and not that he doesnt force his way in....but just dont see this transfer happening, then again Varane never saw happening and a few others too over the last decade
It's up to him really. Why would he accept a Napoli offer without first hearing offers from other clubs? To him, what matters more has to be his salary (assuming he's assured he will play). If no one will pay him a salary above what Napoli would offer in a reworked contract, then yes it will make sense for him to accept the terms. That's a big if though.

jesperjaap

It's up to him really. Why would he accept a Napoli offer without first hearing offers from other clubs? To him, what matters more has to be his salary (assuming he's assured he will play). If no one will pay him a salary above what Napoli would offer in a reworked contract, then yes it will make sense for him to accept the terms. That's a big if though.
Yes thats all a fair point. It just in the current cliamte where pretty average players are moving for £60m+ it seems a bit too good to be true, though yes there are plenty of examples of contracts affecting that I guess

seegoblu

I believe the release clause is only active for two weeks at the start of the transfer window. So if United activate the clause, I find it hard to believe that Napoli will entertain an offer from United for their prized no. 9 later in the window. I just don’t see a reasonable way to get Min-Jae and Osimhen in the same window, and we need a 9 much more than a third CB.

Sanche7

I believe the release clause is only active for two weeks at the start of the transfer window. So if United activate the clause, I find it hard to believe that Napoli will entertain an offer from United for their prized no. 9 later in the window. I just don’t see a reasonable way to get Min-Jae and Osimhen in the same window, and we need a 9 much more than a third CB.
I don't really think this would be an issue. If Kim wants to leave and we activate the release clause, they will have no option but to sell. Obviously Napoli won't be happy with that, but if Osimhen wants to leave, he wants to join us and we are willing to pay what Napoli is asking for, then we should be able to buy him. Very high possibility of us having to pay 10-20 million extra though if we go for Osimhen after we buy Kim but I don't think they will be absolutely unwilling to sell him to us just because we bought Kim.

But I do completely agree that we need a #9 way more than a third CB and if it's either Kim or Osimhen, we absolutely have to go for Osimhen. I feel what we need is a good young CB, who can be Varane's understudy. I don't really want us to break up the Varane Martinez partnership. But on the other hand we have been pretty bad at buying young CBs.

croadyman

Oh yeah number 9 is top of priority list whereas a third CB is at most 4th I would say

Status
Not open for further replies.