Kim Min-jae | signed for Bayern

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Just think he’s to good not to get. A great opportunity at such a decent price aswell.
I agree, but not to the point I'd be worried or annoyed if he went elsewhere.

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
I’ve never really studied KMJ closely for any longer string of games — but whenever I see Napoli play, I can’t help but to question if this guy really is a fit for us??

In the Serie A, Napoli is often fairly dominant and KMJs play with the ball is pretty simplistic. Against the better teams in the CL, he has been very defense focused. For South Korea in the World Cup, he was a complete non-factor on the ball and was even benched for one game unless I am mistaken.

thomas porter

We really need a more reliable partner for the Butcher than Varane and this guy seems to have everything in his locker to play in the epl. I hope it happens.

BlahRules

At the very least he’d be an upgrade on Maguire.
We need a different player than Maguire. Maguire is a good defender for a team that is not looking to play high up and on the front foot.

We need a defender that is press resistant and can play on the front foot.

Ralph1386

We need a different player than Maguire. Maguire is a good defender for a team that is not looking to play high up and on the front foot.

We need a defender that is press resistant and can play on the front foot.
Hence why he’d be an upgrade. He can still be an upgrade with different attributes ;)

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
If our budget is going to be £100m plus any sales then I don't think spending £50m on a CB is top of the priority list.

Martinez Varane will be first choice. Lindelof can be number 3 and surely we can have a one of the academy players or even Luke Shaw again fill in as number 4/5 choice.

We need to spend the money on the midfield and forwards. Our lack of goals in what's costing us not our defence.

mu4c_20le

I'm sure our old school scouts all love him. Fergie type signing, no brainer.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
I've a feeling we'll bring in Timber from Ajax. He confirmed he's on the move I think. He can play right-back and centre-back, and will probably be much cheaper.

arnie_ni

Isn't he left footed? I'd think if eth was looking at replacing varane longterm it'd be a right footer. He's keen on the left right combo

TsuWave

So, what are we thinking is the plan here? Sell Maguire, partner Kim with Martinez, and manage Varane's load/game starts, and have Lindelof as 4th choice?

Last edited:

NYAS

So, what are we thinking is the plan here? Sell Maguire, partner Kim with Martinez, and manage Varane's load/games starts, and have Lindelof has 4th choice?
I’d even sell Linda and bring N’Dicka on a free as LCB back-up. Gonna need all the cash money we can get this summer.

KanieKaned

So, what are we thinking is the plan here? Sell Maguire, partner Kim with Martinez, and manage Varane's load/games starts, and have Lindelof has 4th choice?
Ideally sell Lindelof too but if the budget means we can't we need to just get on with it. Kim min Jae is a massive upgrade and personally I think Lindelof has done better since not playing beside the cancer that is Maguire. .

In Rainbows

I’ve never really studied KMJ closely for any longer string of games — but whenever I see Napoli play, I can’t help but to question if this guy really is a fit for us??

In the Serie A, Napoli is often fairly dominant and KMJs play with the ball is pretty simplistic. Against the better teams in the CL, he has been very defense focused. For South Korea in the World Cup, he was a complete non-factor on the ball and was even benched for one game unless I am mistaken.
Had an injury for the world cup.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
So, what are we thinking is the plan here? Sell Maguire, partner Kim with Martinez, and manage Varane's load/game starts, and have Lindelof as 4th choice?
Partially why I don't see this happening. Varane is a starter caliber CB. You don't replace him when he's still a top CB, not when there are other priority positions that desperately need addressing. I'd love to get him, maybe ten hag sees him as a perfect partner to Martinez. I wouldn't disagree really. Just... We're not gonna bench him or Varane or Martinez. So it's a non-starter for me, unless we plan on moving on Varane. Lindelof is a good profile for a backup CB. Maguire is gone for sure and he'll want regular gametime.

sleepehead

Partially why I don't see this happening. Varane is a starter caliber CB. You don't replace him when he's still a top CB, not when there are other priority positions that desperately need addressing. I'd love to get him, maybe ten hag sees him as a perfect partner to Martinez. I wouldn't disagree really. Just... We're not gonna bench him or Varane or Martinez. So it's a non-starter for me, unless we plan on moving on Varane. Lindelof is a good profile for a backup CB. Maguire is gone for sure and he'll want regular gametime.
I think we need another starting CB, while Martinez should be back in time it might take him a few months before he's back clicking on all cylinders. Varane still has some history with injuries so having someone who can start will still be needed. Honestly for the amount of competitions we want to be involved in having 3 starting quality CBs whom we can rotate plus Lindelof should hold us over. Plus dont forget that in 2024-2025 CL is going to increase in possible games played. We don't have any young CBs in our team that are even close to playing regularly. Look how bare we ended up this season with.

VanHaal'sRedArmy

But are these passing stats really supported by the eye test?

I am not saying that they aren’t — but I haven’t seen it in my limited viewing of him.
His ability to progress the ball forward (either with a pass or ball at his feet) is excellent, coupled with his uncanny anticipation of the opponent's moves. Either way, we're likely going to see him in the prem next season - we'll see how he adapts to this league.

ManRed

Its the best time to get him. He will get a year to settle in while having no pressure like he was top 2 CB. Varane injury gives an adequate cover too. Personally I would go with a Left footed CB and keep Lindelof as Varane cover

InfiniteBoredom

Stones/Dias/Laporte/Akanji.

We’ve had to go back to Maguire (to our detriment) and Shaw at CB for multiple games this season. Another starting quality CB is essential with our game load, as for game time, between injuries, rotation, suspension, int. duty rest, there are plenty of game time to be shared, Lindelof must have like 20 starts by now, Maguire another ten or so, Shaw 6 or 7, that’s 40 starts where Kim can play instead of those options.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
If our budget is going to be £100m plus any sales then I don't think spending £50m on a CB is top of the priority list.

Martinez Varane will be first choice. Lindelof can be number 3 and surely we can have a one of the academy players or even Luke Shaw again fill in as number 4/5 choice.

We need to spend the money on the midfield and forwards. Our lack of goals in what's costing us not our defence.
Agreed, though I really like the player.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It’s not so easy to make me a believer! We need more sauces!

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I’m quite worried about this guy.

He is the CB I want but that’s more to do with his hype.

Ive tried to watch videos and can’t find evidence that has caught me yet about any ball playing ability or even press resistance.

Maybe it’s just me not finding it - but maybe Ten Hag works a ball player like Martinez with a more DGAF type defender in Kim - a bit like Rio and Vidic. After all he did start the season with Maguire & Martinez Too and Maguire isn’t the best on the ball.

Hopefully I’m wrong and he is good on the ball or he fits Ten Hags tactic he is going for.

DON’T PANIC ™

One of many players who are definitely joining Utd, the majority of whom we’ll still be posting about in September methinks.

Brophs

The One and Only
Don’t know what the source is like? Anyone know?

Tiny details such as ‘who will own the club?’, ‘will we have any money?’ and ‘why is Tyrell Malacia’s head so tiny?’

Satissh12

Haven't watched much of Serie A or Napoli so had to watch youtube compilations.

What stood out for me in this is his anticipation and being in some nice positions to win the ball. Licha like in some the blocks and ball winning

crossy1686

career ending
Is this bloke any good? Seen Napoli play probably twice this season.

Edit: Watched the compliations, looks like we're trying to sign aggressive defenders who can read and anticipate the game better.

hobbers

Seems like a perfect Maguire (and long term Varane) replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.