Kim Min-jae | signed for Bayern

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ludens the Red

Great move if this comes in. He makes defending seem quite effortless. There are obviously more priorities in the squad but with Maguire leaving we’ll be short on centre backs and with Varanes injury record it would be silly to go into the season with three cb’s one of which being him.

Rolaholic

Martinez, Varane, Kim and Lindelof would suddenly make for as strong a CB group as we've had in a very long time with the expected departures of Jones, Tuanzebe and Maguire.

Hope the rumors are true, he looks the perfect profile for the Premier League

Real Name

Very young players who still have everything to prove.
Well they are gems, arent they?

Regarding Kim, I hope we won't get fleeced for him cause we need funds for other positions which are imo a priority.

Last edited:

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

Regarding Kim, I hope we won't get fleeced for him cause we need funds for other positions which are imo a priority.
Adam has proven nothing so far at United. Garnacho is a great pickup, very young too. Both of them are too young to starting consistently

Real Name

Adam has proven nothing so far at United. Garnacho is a great pickup, very young too. Both of them are too young to starting consistently
Yeah but those are gems, talented players, you unearth them, buy them and sometimes they proved to be a star, sometimes they fade.

Ibi Dreams

Supposedly a €56m release clause, which isn't too bad for a highly rated player these days tbh

sillwuka

This would be a very smart signing, I think we'd integrate him into the team patiently and he'll ultimately displace Varane within a season.

Apokalips

Martinez, Varane, Kim and Lindelof would suddenly make for as strong a CB group as we've had in a very long time with the expected departures of Jones, Tuanzebe and Maguire.

Hope the rumors are true, he looks the perfect profile for the Premier League
Would be great squad planning to have that quartet as our options along with Shaw in our inevitable yearly CB crisis.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Where would he fit best
Think he’ll play mainly with martinez. Rotate with Varane quite a bit as Varane can’t stay fit for full season. Unless ETH wants to play 3 at the back in some games… that could work.

jamesjimmybyrondean

I'm now thinking this is quite unlikely. Apparently a striker and midfielder is our priority with the latter even dependent on sales. So given this deal has to be sealed within 15 days and we most likely won't make any big sales by then, I don't think we'd take the risk of spending 40m on a defender which could hinder our chances of getting ETH's top two priorities. Only way I see this happening is if we get Rabiot on a free as the midfield signing

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Yeah but those are gems, talented players, you unearth them, buy them and sometimes they proved to be a star, sometimes they fade.
Amad nor Garnacho aren't gonna be players on which next season will depend on, I'd be highly surprised about it.
The type of player I'm talking about is Saliba at Arsenal, in a fantasy scenario, if they're to sell him tomorrow, his fee would be great because he's perform wel beyond expectation and turned himself quickly into an invaluable player

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Don't think I've ever seen this guy play... is he only a CB or is he a bit more versatile? Can in play in a back three if required?

Lux Thunder

Can see Arsenal joining the race for him after their obvious drop in form since losing Saliba against Sporting.

Scholsey2004

Don't think I've ever seen this guy play... is he only a CB or is he a bit more versatile? Can in play in a back three if required?
Theres a review on Youtube of him if youre interested, although obviously its one guys opinions. Compares him with Vidic. Very good and pro-active tackler and very intelligent positionally. Statistically he's very efficient in possession but not at Licha's quality on the ball, obviously.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
It’s exciting that we are already being reported doing deals and speaking to player entourages. Whether it’s true, false or somewhere in between it’s light years ahead of last summer and those before it where we consider planning to weigh up and ponder possibly making an offer for a player. Let’s go!!!:keano:

croadyman

It’s exciting that we are already being reported doing deals and speaking to player entourages. Whether it’s true, false or somewhere in between it’s light years ahead of last summer and those before it where we consider planning to weigh up and ponder possibly making an offer for a player. Let’s go!!!:keano:
True but also not good when you hear reliable journos say nothing can be agreed until ownership is finally sorted out

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I doubt we will sign him or even a CB. There is no reliable journalist links us with him or even a CB. I wouldn’t be surprised if we sell Maguire, we will stick with Varane, Martinez, and Lindelof while Shaw and Casemiro can also cover this CB position. I actually like this idea, this might help us to sign 2 new midfielders to upgrade McFred.

Dominos

I doubt we will sign him or even a CB. There is no reliable journalist links us with him or even a CB. I wouldn’t be surprised if we sell Maguire, we will stick with Varane, Martinez, and Lindelof while Shaw and Casemiro can also cover this CB position. I actually like this idea, this might help us to sign 2 new midfielders to upgrade McFred.
This would be suicidal. You can't go into the season with 3 recognised centre backs when Varane is very injury prone. Shaw is only cover for the left side which is Martinez' position, and we need Shaw at LB.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
This would be suicidal. You can't go into the season with 3 recognised centre backs when Varane is very injury prone. Shaw is only cover for the left side which is Martinez' position, and we need Shaw at LB.
We can because we will have 5 options to play in CB position if you include Casemiro and Shaw. The defenders we have currently already been solid to secure us 17 clean sheets. Imo, there are at least 5 positions to cover/upgrade before CB. Ideally after those positions, we can start talking about CB. I think that could be the reasons why we haven’t been linked with any CB by reliable journalists in comparison to midfield, keeper, striker, and right back.

Blood Mage

I doubt we're even in talks with anyone, we won't be signing anyone until the club is sold IMO.

Dominos

We can because we will have 5 options to play in CB position if you include Casemiro and Shaw. The defenders we have currently already been solid to secure us 17 clean sheets. Imo, there are at least 5 positions to cover/upgrade before CB. Ideally after those positions, we can start talking about CB. I think that could be the reasons why we haven’t been linked with any CB by reliable journalists in comparison to midfield, keeper, striker, and right back.
Why would we count Casemiro considering he's not a centre back. He's someone you'd play there in a unprecedented injury crisis, every team technically players who could play out of position in a horrendous injury crisis, that doesn't count as depth. And if he ends up at CB it means you've lost something in midfield, the same way if Shaw is forced to CB we've lost something at left back.

If you're doubling up on players covering a 2nd position then you're losing overall depth.

If Dalot could play CB would you consider going into the season with AWB, Dalot, Varane, Martinez, Shaw and Malacia? That would still leave us 2 RB options, 4 CB options, and 2 LB options, but only 6 defenders in total compared to the 8 we have now so it wouldn't make sense. It's never a good idea to cut the amount of options you have just because a player can cover multiple positions if needed, particularly when you have injury prone players. 2 first team players per position is standard at this level, I see no reason for us to voluntarily go from 8 defenders to 7 defenders when we're trying to improve. If we don't have the money to replace Maguire we need to bring in someone cheap, not just forget about it and hope for the best.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Why would we count Casemiro considering he's not a centre back. He's someone you'd play there in a unprecedented injury crisis, every team technically players who could play out of position in a horrendous injury crisis, that doesn't count as depth. And if he ends up at CB it means you've lost something in midfield, the same way if Shaw is forced to CB we've lost something at left back.

If you're doubling up on players covering a 2nd position then you're losing overall depth.

If Dalot could play CB would you consider going into the season with AWB, Dalot, Varane, Martinez, Shaw and Malacia? That would still leave us 2 RB options, 4 CB options, and 2 LB options, but only 6 defenders in total compared to the 8 we have now so it wouldn't make sense. It's never a good idea to cut the amount of options you have just because a player can cover multiple positions if needed, particularly when you have injury prone players. 2 first team players per position is standard at this level, I see no reason for us to voluntarily go from 8 defenders to 7 defenders when we're trying to improve. If we don't have the money to replace Maguire we need to bring in someone cheap, not just forget about it and hope for the best.
No, we won’t lose something midfield. If Casemiro playing CB when needed, we still have 2 new midfielders to cover hence why I mentioned 2 new midfielders.

It’s about quality not quantity!!

Maguire only starting for us 7 league games, 3 in EL, and 2 in league cups. Is it necessary to spend 45m and 150k pw on a CB just to play 7 league games and 3 UCL games in a season when we can use the money on other areas because we are more desperate for 2 new midfielders, keeper, striker, and may be even right back. My answer is NO.

Our squad depth quality is worse if we don’t have cover for Casemiro and Eriksen than Varane. McFred cannot do what Casemiro and Eriksen are asked to do. And it’s shown this season. Hence why signing cover for Casemiro and Eriksen first.

Last edited:

croadyman

Haven't seen us strongly linked to many midfielders so far,however would agree with you on the other positions

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Haven't seen us strongly linked to many midfielders so far,however would agree with you on the other positions
We have been linked with Rabiot and Kone by more reliable journalist than with KMJ or centre back so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.