Kim Potter Trial - 'Taser, taser, taser' police officer - Guilty - Sentenced to 2 Years

Drainy

Jury selection under way.

The defendant is the famously incompetent officer who shot a black man after mistaking her gun for a taser.

Judge just warned the potential jurers to not be alarmed if the trial lasts until after Christmas.. I'd be trying to get off jury service :lol:

Last edited:

Conor

I think you need a better hobby than following every public trial in the world.

hobbers

Surely a slam dunk second degree manslaughter conviction there.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Not guilty by reason of "I'm a fecking idiot, but I'm a white fecking idiot."

Last edited:

Drainy

Ah Drainy, here we are again
Covid has left a bit of a backlog with the courts!

Lots of high profile cases in the US recently. Ghisllaine Maxwell obviously.

Jussie Smollett is also on trial at the moment, which I don't think has a thread?

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Yeah

While I remember there's also a funny civil suit coming up soon with Don Lemon where he's accused of giving a man some stinky fingers under his nose from his ballsack and gooch area. :lol:
The hell is ‘gooch?’ Like the ‘t’aint?’

mu4c_20le

Should've just pleaded guilty. What the feck was her defense thinking, trying to double down and make it as though deadly force was justified in the end?

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Should've just pleaded guilty. What the feck was her defense thinking, trying to double down and make it as though deadly force was justified in the end?
That has worked in the past:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_of_Daniel_Shaver

Guy was lying on the floor in a hotel hallway per instructions and was told to crawl to the cop with his hands behind his back. The cop shot him and his defence that he saw his arms twitch or something actually worked:

Feck US cops. All of 'em.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

Drainy

Justification of deadly force was a secondary argument that came up during the trial due to unexpected testimony from one of the other officers and probably weakened the narrative of the defence.

Their primary argument was that she lacked the mens rea that would be necessary for recklessness or culpable negligence. Given the expert evidence provided it was a strong case that they will have fully expected to be successful.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Predictable...

I mean they’re literally describing manslaughter. “It was an accident”. Yes but someone is dead due to negligence and that’s what a manslaughter charge exists for.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
Dinesh D'Souza, haven't heard that name in years, I used to love watching Hitchens wipe the floor with him.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Dinesh D'Souza, haven't heard that name in years, I used to love watching Hitchens wipe the floor with him.
Got pardoned by Trump. Otherwise he’d still be in jail.

Drainy

Sentencing today.

Prosecution have dropped their Blakely factor request for an enhanced sentence, which is a bit bullshit since they spent half the trial sneaking in evidence related to the Blakely considerations in front of the jury.

I expect a 7 year sentence, but also expect an appeal.

Drainy

Downward departure - 2 years, 1/3 on probation.

People will be angry but if they listen to the judges reasoning they will completely agree.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
First Rittenhouse (sorry, “Kyle”) and now this, Drainy certainly has found a niche.

Drainy

First Rittenhouse (sorry, “Kyle”) and now this, Drainy certainly has found a niche.
Given the attitude of many on here towards me I presume that is a dig. Funny how people never mention my stance on the Arbery murder which was in between or any of my posts regarding the police in the cops doing a bad job thread.

Each case is different and should be judged on the facts.

For anyone actually interested in the reasons for downward departure for the sentencing

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I’m not arsed how it’s been dressed up, the basic truth is that a cop was never going to get a reasonable sentence for the killing of a black man in America if there was any way around it.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Given the attitude of many on here towards me I presume that is a dig. Funny how people never mention my stance on the Arbery murder which was in between or any of my posts regarding the police in the cops doing a bad job thread.

Each case is different and should be judged on the facts.

For anyone actually interested in the reasons for downward departure for the sentencing

Bulletpoint the reasons for the downward departure. Started watching the video but was turned off instantly when a toss away line was spoken about the deceased & a basically gushing description was given about the murderer. Not going to invest anymore time in the clip, but am interested in why the sentence was so low.

Drainy

16 months and 8 months probation. 2 months already served.

Its probably low enough that she won't appeal now, which she would have had grounds for due to the amount of Blakely evidence produced at the trial that was objected to and the prosecution making misleading statements during their rebuttal.

Drainy

Bulletpoint the reasons for the downward departure. Started watching the video but was turned off instantly when a toss away line was spoken about the deceased & a basically gushing description was given about the murderer. Not going to invest anymore time in the clip, but am interested in why the sentence was so low.
- Uncontested evidence that it was an accident by drawing her gun rather than a taser with the intention to draw the taser

- Judge accepts that she is remorseful

- Uncontested that she is particularly amenable to probation & is a lawful person who has no record & has been a pillar of her community for all her life until one error

- Proven that no Blakely factors were actually appropriate (only 1 shot, not firing wildly and didn't abuse her position of authority because she was lawfully arresting Daunte Wright and was within policy to use her taser)

- Purposes of jail are; Removal, Rehabilitation, Deterrence & Retribution. Only retribution is served by a prison sentence.

- The conduct is less serious than the usual circumstances of reckless manslaughter given that she was in the line of duty, never intended to us a gun in a split second moment at a tense scene where other officers were in harms way which creates a mitigating circumstance. There was no personal animosity towards the victim

She then quoted Barrack Obama stating that people should be more empathetic to understand each other (while tearing up), then explained that the Potter was trying to do the right thing in the line of duty but made a tragic mistake and deserves a sentence significantly below the guideline for reckless homicide.

The defence team pointed out that 60% of women (and 30% of men) in Minnesota get a downward departure for sentencing so seems like its probably reasonable for this case given her record, the mitigating circumstances and it not being a crime of malice/crime of intent (so not a danger of reoffending).

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
- Uncontested evidence that it was an accident by drawing her gun rather than a taser with the intention to draw the taser

- Judge accepts that she is remorseful

- Uncontested that she is particularly amenable to probation & is a lawful person who has no record & has been a pillar of her community for all her life until one error

- Proven that no Blakely factors were actually appropriate (only 1 shot, not firing wildly and didn't abuse her position of authority because she was lawfully arresting Daunte Wright and was within policy to use her taser)

- Purposes of jail are; Removal, Rehabilitation, Deterrence & Retribution. Only retribution is served by a prison sentence.

- The conduct is less serious than the usual circumstances of reckless manslaughter given that she was in the line of duty, never intended to us a gun in a split second moment at a tense scene where other officers were in harms way which creates a mitigating circumstance. There was no personal animosity towards the victim

She then quoted Barrack Obama stating that people should be more empathetic to understand each other (while tearing up), then explained that the Potter was trying to do the right thing in the line of duty but made a tragic mistake and deserves a sentence significantly below the guideline for reckless homicide.

The defence team pointed out that 60% of women (and 30% of men) in Minnesota get a downward departure for sentencing so seems like its probably reasonable for this case given her record, the mitigating circumstances and it not being a crime of malice/crime of intent (so not a danger of reoffending).
Thanks. Still seems drastically & unfairly low.