Klinsmann for USA job?

Status
Not open for further replies.

forevrared

Jason Davis
@mfusa Jason Davis
It's amazing how often Harkes destroys his own point by the time he completes the thought.

Tweet of the day.

davisjw

US playing like Arsenal: Have style, nice passing, but no goals yet.

Who's on the bench?

Rogers doesn't deserve to be in that team. Dempsey would ideally be in the middle and Donovan pushed wide.

Not convinced with Fiscal and Castillo. Lichaj and Goodson should be the starters. Chandler hasn't been as impressive as he was when he first broke out in the summer.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Chandler is hampered by Rogers and Shea not being understanding overlapping runs with the fullback. Rogers isn't good enough to start honestly.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
And our defense is awful. The ref is a twat and refuses to give us anything(as usual).

Also, Donovan has been anonymous.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Positives: We played nice passing football, Torres was good, Agudelo was pretty good. Jozy was all right.

Negatives: Donovan didn't show up, Castillo shouldn't have shown up, Fiscal/Bocanegra is crap, Robbie Rogers isn't good enough to start. He offered very little the entire first half.

Now, we need Stuart Holden to be fit for once. We're crippled without him, imo.

Excal

And our defense is awful. The ref is a twat and refuses to give us anything(as usual).
He gave us quite a lot of fouls at the beginning.

About 20 or so before he finally brought out a feckin' card.

Now, we need Stuart Holden to be fit for once. We're crippled without him, imo.
Keeps getting injured by Manchester players. :nervous:

AlwaysRedwood

Just got back from the game.

Altidore should no longer start. No movement. Completely fecking useless.

Same goes for Rodgers and Castillo.

Some better stuff once Rodgers and Altidore were off the pitch but in the end, Donovan wasn't up for it and there wasn't enough movement off the ball.

Not sure what the answer is on the back line but this was definitely not it.

Excal

Orozco Fizcal was a millstone around our defense, I'm not certain it's possible to be more useless as a fullback going forward than Castillo was. Donovan has so many off-days it seems that I wonder if he's still going to be good enough in 2014.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Time to give guys like John and Marshall a shot at central defender. Also, why isn't Pearce getting a shot at LB? Castillo can't defend (at least it's not Bornstein).

MrMarcello

Need to start using two forwards. So many times the US get numbers forward and there's only one or two players in the box, while the opposing side defends in numbers. Perhaps it's time to start both Agudelo and Altidore (or whatever other combination).

AlwaysRedwood

Need to start using two forwards. So many times the US get numbers forward and there's only one or two players in the box, while the opposing side defends in numbers. Perhaps it's time to start both Agudelo and Altidore (or whatever other combination).
I think he's trying to see what these guys can do on their own. We're quickly learning Altidore can't do shit.

The sooner Altidore is on the bench, the better.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Surely the States won't have a good enough midfield to play 442. I'd think they'd want to go 4231 like just about every other decent but not good team.

forevrared

Tony Sanneh said on Twitter a few minutes ago that Joachim Loew is in Nuremberg today to try and get Timmy Chandler to play for Germany and that Chandler said "he wants to play for the US, but Germany would be hard to turn down". If it happens, I'd be way more pissed than when we lost out of Subotic and Rossi. Bradley will turn into an even bigger villain for not getting him into the Gold Cup squad and rolling over for Nuremberg.

mboRa ndomHer0723

Tony Sanneh said on Twitter a few minutes ago that Joachim Loew is in Nuremberg today to try and get Timmy Chandler to play for Germany and that Chandler said "he wants to play for the US, but Germany would be hard to turn down". If it happens, I'd be way more pissed than when we lost out of Subotic and Rossi. Bradley will turn into an even bigger villain for not getting him into the Gold Cup squad and rolling over for Nuremberg.
I don't think people will fault Bradley as what else could he do in that situation? It would be a big loss for the US though as he is a very talented player, but I would not fault the kid for playing for the country he grew up in and plays in.

davisjw

I don't think people will fault Bradley as what else could he do in that situation? It would be a big loss for the US though as he is a very talented player, but I would not fault the kid for playing for the country he grew up in and plays in.
It was a FIFA sanctioned tournament, Chandler would of had to go and been cup tied. Bradley never had a backbone. Look at how Klinsi took charge: AZ said they didn't want Jozy to go play in the recent friendlies. Klinsi said he didn't care, it was a FIFA mandated date and he needed his best players there. You don't act a pushover in Europe where everything is cutthroat.

Losing Chandler would be a terrible setback for the US. I wouldn't fault him for joining Germany, but I'm sure US folks would be pissed that he led them along for so long.

I don't know enough about Chandler to say if he would actually get near the German team. I would have to imagine at this time, the answer is no. And the German gaffer is A. not wanting him to go to the US in case he does turn out well and B. giving the V to Klinsi. I read that the two of them are not on speaking terms any more.

mboRa ndomHer0723

It was a FIFA sanctioned tournament, Chandler would of had to go and been cup tied. Bradley never had a backbone. Look at how Klinsi took charge: AZ said they didn't want Jozy to go play in the recent friendlies. Klinsi said he didn't care, it was a FIFA mandated date and he needed his best players there. You don't act a pushover in Europe where everything is cutthroat.

Losing Chandler would be a terrible setback for the US. I wouldn't fault him for joining Germany, but I'm sure US folks would be pissed that he led them along for so long.

I don't know enough about Chandler to say if he would actually get near the German team. I would have to imagine at this time, the answer is no. And the German gaffer is A. not wanting him to go to the US in case he does turn out well and B. giving the V to Klinsi. I read that the two of them are not on speaking terms any more.
It looks like he is not going anywhere:

noshortcorners.com

Let's just do this.
Just now, second-hand from Germany coach Joachim Löw, via the team's press officer to me, now to all of you:

"He is not in Nuremberg and he has not spoken to (Timothy Chandler)."

--

On to the next one.

- Greg Seltzer

mboRa ndomHer0723

Pitchforks replaced in the garden shed, torches extinguished in the tears of joy, and throats being soothed with tea from the shouting :smirk:
Who knows though? Sanneh was the person who made the US aware of Chandler in the first place and he still has good relationships with the club. Maybe there were discussions with Lowe and Chandler said no, or maybe there are still ongoing discussions with the German team and they just don't want to make such a big deal out of the situation before the next game.

I hope he stays though. Also just saw the Bob got the Egypt job

MrMarcello

Ream is good for at least one gaff or missed assignment every match. Which often leads to a goal. Time to try some others.

And can we find a forward that can score?

mboRa ndomHer0723

Tim Ream is bad every time he plays for the US.
It would be nice if he showed that he can actually defend

Ream is good for at least one gaff or missed assignment every match. Which often leads to a goal. Time to try some others.

And can we find a forward that can score?
I am hoping that Ream and Orozco-Fiscal are dropped for the next friendlies and 2 of Omar, John, Cameron get called up. Not sure how the MLS schedule looks like during this time so that might effect some of the players.

Maybe one of the younger guys will step up at some point this year(Boyd, Wood, Doyle, etc) and take some pressure off.

forevrared

I thought we were great in the first half. The subs kind of ruined the balance of the team and we looked as disjointed as you'd expect. We didn't deserve to lose, but we have to start scoring goals.

The thought that one of Jermaine Jones, Michael Bradley, Stuart Holden, Jose Torres or Maurice Edu (not to mention other fringe players such as Feilhaber, possibly Fabian Johnson, Kljestan, Mix Diskerud, etc) could be sitting on the bench while Kyle Beckerman starts is a bit disconcerting. Thankfully though, initial fears that Michael Orozco was the Klinnsman-era Jonathan Bornstein are calmed.

I've been pretty impressed with Danny Williams. Timmy Chandler looked great out of position at left back. Shea should be in contention to start most games these days.

davisjw

I've seen every one of Klinsi's games and I'm impressed with how the team has adapted to a new system.

The team is playing completely different. You can see them offering each other support in triangles: Edu, Shea, Dempsey, and Jozy were doing this all night. You're seeing overlapping runs on the left. Jozy is finally hustling. Dempsey seems to be enjoying himself and the freedom he's been given. Although there weren't any goals last night, there were a lot more opportunities. The team is looking faster. And the team is trying to play good football instead of the huffing it up tactics Senior Bradley favored.

The Good:

- Shea has really evolved since his first outing against Colombia. I wrote him off as someone who's going to good, but never great. I take that back. I saw intelligent runs, nice close control, good shooting, and good awareness. He tracks back and has a lot of speed on him. Surely he's gone in the winter to Europe.

- Chandler and Shea seem to be a great partnership. Both understood each other and the left side was the most dangerous in the first half. For the first time, the US has speed not only with a winger, but with a sideback too, both of which complement each other.

- Jozy and Dempsey are becoming much more aware of each other. And both are hustling more.

The Bad:

- Ream looked solid when he first broke on the scene, but like Fiscal, he should be done on in the international level for quite some time. You saw what Klinsi was trying to do with CBs who could pass their way out of the back. But they have to defend first. Boca and Gooch should be starters.

- Age is showing and slowing down the defense. Boca and Dolo both looked utterly out of depth against such a fast team. And with three years until the next World Cup, you wonder how long they have. Boca will remain due to little competition for his position. But Dolo is facing a lot of faster, more technical competition. When Lichaj is back, Dolo will have a tough time with things.

- The middle tandem of Edu and Beckerman didn't offer enough support. Edu has a horrible first touch and made a lot of poor passes. Beckerman is a destroyer and a great MLS player. However, he's extremely limited on the national level. They need a passer back there.

- Williams isn't a right-side midfielder. He needs to play in the middle.

My formation come November:

------------------Howard-------------------
Dolo--------Gooch-------Boca-------Chandler
---------Jones------------Williams----------
Donovan---------Dempsey--------------Shea
-------------------Jozy---------------------

New guys to the mini camp: Gatt, Feilhaber, Mix, and Goodson.

Gatt goes in for Dolo. Feilhaber for Dempsey. Mix for Williams. Goodson for Boca.

MrMarcello

Edu was played further forward than I've ever seen him play. The initial lineup reflected a 4-4-2 diamond with Edu playing as an attacking mid. The Edu I've seen at his best prefers to sit back much like Carrick does. I think he should be given a shot at central defense when others inevitably fail.

davisjw

Edu was played further forward than I've ever seen him play. The initial lineup reflected a 4-4-2 diamond with Edu playing as an attacking mid. The Edu I've seen at his best prefers to sit back much like Carrick does. I think he should be given a shot at central defense when others inevitably fail.
I agree. Edu's mind doesn't work fast enough. He gets into the final third and freezes. That's why Torres is the better option when fit. Bradley tried the same thing with Edu and it never worked. He played his best sitting back with Baby Bradley.

holdsteady

Hates Sir Alex Ferguson
This story appears in the Dec. 12, 2011, "Interview Issue" of ESPN The Magazine.

CYPHERS: You first discussed the U.S. job in 2006. Five years later, you finally accepted. Why now?

KLINSMAN: I said in 2010 and 2006 that I will come only if you are open for change* -- that we will not go upward right away. This is an interesting time, with a new generation of dual-citizenship kids and own-developed kids from MLS coming through the ranks, and a time when quite a lot of Americans are making a name overseas. Tim Howard, Clint Dempsey, Michael Bradley, Steve Cherundolo -- players who have a real presence in a closed soccer world. There's a foundation of experience, and now a generation from the military presence in Europe could be a good start again.

Speaking of dual-citizenship players, there's talk of a German-American revolution on the U.S. team. We've identified five or six players of high quality in Germany who still need guidance to get to the international level, like a Danny Williams [age 22] or a Fabian Johnson [24 on Dec. 11] or a Timothy Chandler [21]. And there's a kid from Berlin, Alfredo Morales [21]. They all went through an academy system of 10 to 12 years with professional clubs. As a person who lived and enjoyed the game all over and ended up in the U.S. because my wife is American, it is a fascinating job because I can connect the pieces.

What can the U.S. learn from the European academy system? The U.S. has a very impatient sports environment. They want an 18-year-old to already be a superstar. The strength of an academy system, whether South American or European, is that they identify a talent and let him grow at his own pace. Certain players have a technical foundation and can read the game, but they can't keep up physically yet. It doesn't mean he gets cut; it means we give him time. We have a couple of forwards from MLS who need time: Teal Bunbury [Sporting Kansas City] is 21, and Juan Agudelo [New York Red Bulls] is 19. I don't want a really big talent like Agudelo getting burned for something that he's not yet. The media would like to do that because they need to sell. Totally understandable. But if you're honest with the player, you tell them no, this is too early. You've got to be patient, come off the bench, work harder in training, be emotionally balanced. And if it takes four years, that's okay. I became a national team player at 23 and still had over 100 caps.

U.S. players used to develop later because they went to college, but today's elite Americans are largely forgoing that route. Other countries play 12 months a year, and colleges play only three months a year. Over the course of a college career, you're losing what amounts to three years of technical and physical development. You can't catch up anymore. You can try to make up the thousands of hours that kids play in other countries, but it's impossible. These hours as a kid define your technical ability -- your first touch, vision and calmness on the ball.

Can you see the result of those hours in German-Americans like Chandler and Johnson? They've got the technical edge. They know when to get nasty, and they read the game ahead. Reading the game ahead is similar to American football, when the quarterback throws the ball through something that he sees. Or in basketball, with the vision you need to see the whole court. This is something that you learn as a kid. By playing, playing, playing -- and goofing around -- you develop the ability. I can't teach a player to shield, to see the field on a 180-degree spectrum. That has to happen on its own.

The influx of dual-citizenship talent brings up an interesting scenario. In the 2014 World Cup, you could have five or six U.S. players whose first language isn't English. Is that a problem? No, they all know English. There's no other sport where this happens so much, because it's global.

You played professionally in four countries. How did that experience shape your worldview? I realized pretty early that I could play in the best leagues in the world and make a heck of a lot of money. I never went to college. I always missed this kind of element because my best friends became attorneys or engineers. I got to play soccer, and I had so much passion for it, but I never had this intellectual experience. And then I realized that going to Italy, to France, is a type of school that doesn't give me a diploma but rather a tremendous life experience. I know people in every country where I played that I can call, and now I'm thankful I can use a network that probably not many people have.

You're using that network to send American players to train overseas, like Brek Shea practicing with Arsenal. What are the benefits of that? I called their manager, Arsene Wenger, and set this thing up. A player like Brek has tremendous potential, but it's a raw talent. He needs a lot of guidance, a lot of attention. I worked with Wenger for two years in Monaco, and he's a coach who sees all those elements. We'll place other players in Germany or England, depending on my network, to give them an idea of what the game in Europe is really about. It's not only the training and matches. Soccer is your life. People live for the game in Europe. There is no escape.

That's obviously in contrast to the soccer culture in America. It's just where soccer is in the big picture of the American sports landscape, but if you look at what happened to the game the last 15 years, then you're probably speechless. You have a league with 19 teams, beautiful stadiums, infrastructure and youth development. You have five channels that show all the leagues in the world, so a soccer fanatic can have everything he wants in America. But it's still not football, baseball or basketball, and that's okay. I think there is enough space for soccer in a country with 300 million people.

You once attended a Mike Krzyzewski leadership seminar. You've spoken with famous coaches like Pete Carroll and Phil Jackson. What have you learned from them? Pete is so high-energy. He clearly gives the message: Every game, use only the best that you have. He's so driven to compete; it's fascinating. Do I understand American football? No. He showed me his USC playbook, and I couldn't believe it. Because in soccer everything is improvised. The way Coach K connected his basketball world with the entrepreneurial world by doing seminars left me speechless. And Phil Jackson is an amazingly positive, calm communicator with very clear vision. You can read it in his body language, in his eyes.

Ultimately, coaches are judged by results. What makes you think the U.S. can beat Mexico when it counts? How far can you go in 2014? When you get to 50-50 games, it's the mindset that beats them, like a strong belief in yourself and staying calm when it gets really hostile in Central America. That's why the U.S. built a strong position against Mexico, even if Mexico won the previous two Gold Cups. You know, they don't really like to play the U.S. They know we have a certain edge of toughness. Argentina knows when they play Germany that there will be constant grinding. Are the Argentineans better players? Yes. But we'd steal their ball. Your toy is gone; now do something about it. It is all mind games. And the World Cup is another thing. The World Cup is all about the moment, the momentum. Anything can happen in the World Cup.
I really feel he can take us to a different dimension of football as a team and as a country.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Anyone up for USA-Brazil May 30th? I might be heading up with a few friends, and vivs might go.

forevrared

Going to US-Scotland in Jacksonville for my first USMNT game. First one that's ever been available to me that wasn't a major trip (flight or 8+ hour drive).

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
1-0 currently vs Antigua & Barbuda. That's right. We're beating two countries at the same time.

forevrared

Dempsey in particular seems to not give half a shit tonight. He's like Louis Saha against Celtic every time he gets in the box, more or less fecking around looking like he thinks he's offside.

Don't expect too much with the weather, but we need to win at least 3 or 4-0.

Antigua & Barbuda have a couple decent Englishmen in their squad though, they aren't near as bad as I thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.