Klinsmann for USA job?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Against Jamaica, why is he starting three defensive midfielders and one wide player?

Against Jamaica, when needing creativity why does he sub off a shit defensive midfielder for another defensive midfielder?

Against Jamaica, where were the likes of Torres and Shea from the start?

Cali Red

Didn't see the game. Sounds like a good thing I didn't. This could make the next match a must win? damn.

beergod

my front yard was a better passing surface than that pitch last night. If there was ever a game to play a bit or route one soccer, last night was it.

davisjw

I've been a Klinsi defender for the last year, but yesterday I had to just shut my mouth. And it's even more absurd that after the game he said you can't blame tactics, only that it was two fluke goals. Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. Klinsi don't go insane. A 4-3-1-2 formation with three DM that can't pass it suicide. Playing Dempsey a full 90 was suicide. Subbing in defensive players is suicide. Not playing with width is suicide.

Next game I'd like to see:

-----------Jozy------------
Shea------Torres-------Gomez
----Cameron---Jones-------
Johnson--Boca-Goodson---Dolo

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
So maybe Bradley wasn't all that bad...

MrMarcello

davisjw... Gomez on the wing? Seriously? I've never heard of him playing wide. Throw Corona out there.

And yes, Bradley was bad at that level. Johnson wouldn't be playing LB today - he'd still have Bornstein.

forevrared

I'd like a front 4 of Shea, Boyd, Dempsey and Gomez. Midfield is anyone's guess. We need a player like Torres, but playing him would mean sacrificing one of the previous 4 since I doubt he can play in a 2.

davisjw

davisjw... Gomez on the wing? Seriously? I've never heard of him playing wide. Throw Corona out there.

And yes, Bradley was bad at that level. Johnson wouldn't be playing LB today - he'd still have Bornstein.
Gomez has played that under Klinsi's 4-3-3 system and at club level. Look where he got the ball for the US' goal. He wouldn't be a proprer winger in my system, more like an outside attacking midfielder. My two defensive midfielders would be enough cover so he wouldn't have to track back

I've been impressed with Cameron in the middle for Stoke. Jones while never reaching his club form for the US always offers energy.

Bradley was that bad and one game doesn't take away from Klinsi's other successes. Scotland was their best game, wins away to Italy and Mexico, and against Brazil I thought they played excellently.

Klinsi struggles tactically but we all knew that from his Bayern days. Let's hope he learns and the US performs on Tuesday. Which I think they will.

MrMarcello

No, never has. I don't think he has the strength to hold up the ball nor the height to win a single aerial battle, and his best attribute (passing) would be wasted in a center forward role. He's better playing off a classic center forward, or out wide as a winger/foward, or in the middle as an attacking midfielder.

On a side note, I can envision Dempsey being moved to a center forward role as he ages into his mid-30s and his pace begins to fade. Dempsey-Boyd could be a good forward combination for 2014 with Donovan-Shea as the overlapping wingers, and that wing duo working with Dempsey to attack the space in the final third. I have great hopes for Boyd.

forevrared

He used to play off a main striker (it was Brian McBride when Landon came onto the scene) but for ages now he's played as a winger or wide forward. That could also be because we haven't had the caliber of striker needed for Donovan to be effective in that role.

forevrared

Must win game and our midfield is... Danny Williams, Jermaine Jones, Jose Torres and Graham Zusi. I think we'll win and I like Danny, but that's not exactly confidence inspiring.

MrMarcello

Just seen the starting XI:

Howard
Cherundolo-Cameron-Bocanegra-Johnson
Williams
Zusi-Jones-Torres
Gomez-Dempsey

The midfield setup makes zero fecking sense. Jones as the attacking midfielder? Torres on the left? No Shea? Shea made the US look somewhat able to attack when he subbed on last Friday.

Should be something like...

----Edu-Torres-----
Zusi-Dempsey-Shea
------Gomez--------

Or if you persist with two holding midfielders...

--Williams--Edu--Torres
Dempsey--Gomez--Shea

MrMarcello

Definitely. Or a draw could really be problematic too. Guatemala is winning and they would move ahead in standings, though the US still can control its own destiny with matches against Guatemala and Antigua.

AlwaysRedwood

Pretty terrible luck so far.

Klinnsman seems to have made all the right moves, despite the comments here.

MrMarcello

Jamaica is parking the bus pretty well. Worried they're going to break on the counter or a defender will misplay a ball and present them a goal-scoring chance. Or a stupid foul down near the US box for a free kick. US need to get that goal soon so they don't start pushing further upfield and get caught out.

MrMarcello

That Shelton will not help his mates defensively at all. He stands there and watches US players go by. Not a single attempt to defend or take the ball. He's a classic cherry picker. So bad that during the first half the coach switched him with Cummings as the latter will track back.

Btw, this is a good pitch. It would be nice if FIFA/Regions would enforce better standards of playing pitches. That travesty of a pitch in Jamaica should never be allowed.

roseguy64

That Shelton will not help his mates defensively at all. He stands there and watches US players go by. Not a single attempt to defend or take the ball. He's a classic cherry picker. So bad that during the first half the coach switched him with Cummings as the latter will track back.

Btw, this is a good pitch. It would be nice if FIFA/Regions would enforce better standards of playing pitches. That travesty of a pitch in Jamaica should never be allowed.
They had some 50th anniversary independence celebrations on it in August hence the state. There's a much better world class stadium available but it's a white elephant so...

Status
Not open for further replies.