Klinsmann for USA job?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Subotic played multiple times for the US U17/U20 setup and has gone on record saying he had a dispute with Rongen and basically said feck it. Klinsmann probably could have persuaded him to play for the US had Sunil done the right thing and offered him the job back in 2006. There's no doubt that Subotic would have been it the USMNT lineup by summer 2008. Subotic also considered Germany if memory serves.

Rossi was never a real possibility. He moved to Italy at age 13 and always considered himself Italian and had dreams of playing for Italy. He also got a big head and decided he should be a regular starter for United at age 19.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Same thing, right? ;)

Vedad Ibisevic could have played for the US, too. He's Bosnian.
Like Subotic, he was born in Bosnia and moved to the states in 2000, when Ibisevic was 16 already. Most of the foreign players in the states don't choose to play for you because either their family is from a different football-loving country or they were born abroad and moved to the states later on. I was born in Canada but I see myself as a Bosnian and if I ever had the opportunity to become a professional player, I wouldn't ever even think about playing for the Canadian national team because I was raised in a Bosnian house.

Basically, you had no chance to get Ibisevic.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
USA was never really an option for them. Subotic was born in Yugoslavia and the only decision for him was between Serbia or Bosnia and he chose Serbia because he clearly sees himself as a serbian, even though he was born in Bosnia. Not sure about Rossi but I'm sure he never really considered the states once he knew he was good enough to play for Italy.
This isn't true regarding Subotic.

"I've played [for the U.S.], I've been in [U.S. U-17 national team)] residency, so I'm an American," Subotic said. "And I've worn the crest, and that's also a thing that you have to respect. If you wear it once you're not going to wear another crest.

"That would kind of be like back-stabbing, I would say. I'm an American 'til the end.

"America was like a second chance to make something of ourselves. I'd like to think I did accomplish something. I made the national team, I went to college and this country made it possible. It's my way of kind of repaying."

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
This isn't true regarding Subotic.
Hmm. So in the end he ended up kind of back stabbing you lot anyways? Different situation to Ibisevic anyways, but I didn't know Subotic was like that with US. Sort of like Begovic with Canada, although the interview where he said he was going to play for Canada I'm pretty sure wasn't real, because a month later when he got called up to Bosnia he said it was always his only choice pretty much.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Hmm. So in the end he ended up kind of back stabbing you lot anyways? Different situation to Ibisevic anyways, but I didn't know Subotic was like that with US. Sort of like Begovic with Canada, although the interview where he said he was going to play for Canada I'm pretty sure wasn't real, because a month later when he got called up to Bosnia he said it was always his only choice pretty much.
I just remember there being talk that Ibisevic was close to becoming a US citizen and could be eligible for a US call-up. Not that we had a real shot, but there was the possibility he'd be eligible.

Subotic was pushed away from the US team by Thomas Rongen who publicly criticized his development while he was at Mainz. I have a hard time blaming Subotic for that. That's why most USA supporters hate Thomas Rongen(who now works for Toronto FC).

Several players in MLS were born abroad but are in the process of gaining citizenship and could be called up(Darlington Nagbe). Hell, there's the Cuban guy who defected after playing in the Gold Cup here who wants to be eligible for the US.

forevrared

Hmm. So in the end he ended up kind of back stabbing you lot anyways? Different situation to Ibisevic anyways, but I didn't know Subotic was like that with US.
Ibisevic wanted to play for the US, but wasn't going to be able to get his citizenship until sometime in the last year or two. Hard to fault him there, you can't really expect a player to wait until their late 20s to begin their international career.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Haven't read a post in this thread.

But I can tell you the problem is that the US is pure shit at football development. The fact we have even one EPL level player is a bit of a miracle. No national team head coach can change that.

MrMarcello

US soccer still relies far too heavily on the collegiate development concept. So by the time a player is in the MLS he's already lost 3-5 years of crucial development. MLS should really scrap the draft and college development and focus on the academy development. The league should encourage clubs to field a U21/U23 side and provide a good pay opportunity to the academy grads while both directing and paying for the players to take college classes locally/online. I blame this on a league run by persons more associated/following the NFL/NBA models but this proves that MLS authorities don't yet quite understand how soccer (err, football) works.

FC Dallas has a good academy setup that stops at U18 and yet the best talents end up at college instead of further developing at the club (i.e. Garcia, Okwuono, Woodberry, et al have chosen the college route). Omar Gonzalez was part of the FC Dallas academy until he graduated high school and chose the college route. Since then the league has introduced some type of discovery claim concept (college reserve?) that allows academy grads rights to remain with the club versus entering the draft (hence how Woodberry is back with the club), although I may be wrong here.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
can they do a system where the prospects can hold off on college until later (if things don't pan out on the professional level)?
they made some good points this morning on the Sirius Xm radio show about how it'd be hard for a parent to tell a kid to turn down a Duke or NC scholarship.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
can they do a system where the prospects can hold off on college until later (if things don't pan out on the professional level)?
they made some good points this morning on the Sirius Xm radio show about how it'd be hard for a parent to tell a kid to turn down a Duke or NC scholarship.
I think the issue would be that the players who didn't pan out wouldn't be able to play college soccer either so schools wouldn't be willing to offer athletic scholarships for the players. If MLS did something to set up scholarship funds for players so that they'd be able to attend whatever school they wanted(Duke is about $50k/yr now), it might be a viable route. I'm not sure most would be able to get into the elite private and public schools without an athletic scholarship though.

I think it could be beneficial long-term for MLS to create such a system and to encourage players to obtain degrees since most MLS players don't make enough to retire on. It would be a progressive way for MLS to set itself apart from other professional sports leagues as well. Maybe some of City's $100m could go to a trust fund for these purposes...

MrMarcello

I don't think I've ever seen the defending side on a goal kick pressure that high up the pitch. Credit to Dempsey, Altidore and the other player for pressuring Germany into the back-passing.

MrMarcello

Umm, Beasley turned on the jets and ran right past the German attacker. He's not a defender!

What is it about the left back position? There has to be someone out there (probably Fabien once Donovan resumes his left-wing position).

MrMarcello

US managers have this weird thing about sticking midfielders/wingers at left back. The only player that performed well was Caligiuri, although I think O'Brien played there a couple times.

This keeper is hilarious! Cue up the Benny Hill theme.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
We need to stop making him look crap. Barca supposedly want him to replace Valdes. If we embarrass him, they might want De Gea!

Klose denied because he was offside.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
The game has slowed down because it's hot as balls in DC. I was planning on going but my friends were too slow in confirming they wanted to go so the last seats available were in the top two rows of RFK. :lol:

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Yeah, one of my fellow United fan friends is there. I wish I'd gone, but I think I'm going to try for the Baltimore game in the Gold Cup. A friend is going to the game in Hartford, but I don't want to take two days off to fly up there. I'm trying to save vacation for a trip to England in the fall.

MrMarcello

I just don't see Omar as good enough to play for the US on a regular basis. Too slow, doesn't seem to read the game well at this level, seems to lose focus at times. It's piss easy to defend MLS opposition especially when his club side, LAG, have so many classy players that tend to hold possession and limit opposition attacks. It's a whole new level in WCQ and the WC.

In fairness this is Germany. However, he needs to take his game to Europe or Mexico if he truly wants to find his ceiling.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
He needs to get out of MLS soon or he'll be too old to learn to defend properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.