Klinsmann for USA job?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaydee

Onyewu probably should have taken the summer off to let his knee heal after surgery back in March. He had a great season for Sporting up to that point.

Cali Red

Onyewu probably should have taken the summer off to let his knee heal after surgery back in March. He had a great season for Sporting up to that point.
Maybe. But he's never been a great defender in his positioning. He's always had to use his physical abilities. He's never been a great reader of the game either. Now he's a step slow so in the end he's more a liability than anything else.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
The wonders of CONCACAF strike again. Since each nation sells its own broadcasting rights, rather than the federation a la UEFA, the US inevitably gets stuck by some asshole FA selling our qualifying games as PPV. They're going to charge $30 for the game for homes, while they'll charge close to $1000 for bars. They can go to hell. CONCACAF needs to clean itself up and start auctioning rights for WCQ, Gold Cup, and CONCACAF Champions League to broadcasters instead of each FA doing it.

beergod

The wonders of CONCACAF strike again. Since each nation sells its own broadcasting rights, rather than the federation a la UEFA, the US inevitably gets stuck by some asshole FA selling our qualifying games as PPV. They're going to charge $30 for the game for homes, while they'll charge close to $1000 for bars. They can go to hell. CONCACAF needs to clean itself up and start auctioning rights for WCQ, Gold Cup, and CONCACAF Champions League to broadcasters instead of each FA doing it.
:nono::nono::nono:

everything in CONCACAF is legit! Jack Warner said so!

I hate world cup qualifying, every time we do it I remember why I'm so cynical about international football.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
At least we're up 1-0 at the moment. Thankfully I have a nice feed. Totally legit. Much like all of CONCACAF's dealings.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
I hate playing in Concacaf. We always get hosed by the refs. We should have been up 2-0, but the ref blew for a FK when Jozy was in 1-on-1 with the keeper. Incompetent refs, awful surfaces...

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Ruiz dived for the free kick too... Pappa struck it great though, I won't blame Howard there - that ball had some movement on it and just eclipsed the wall.

But that ref sucked in the second half no doubt. Typical CONCACAF ref. You hit it on the head with the Jozy advantage not given. But Jozy also stopped his run when Bradley squared that great ball across goal.

Cali Red

So all away games in qualifying will be PPV? :mad:

mboRa ndomHer0723

Just need to make sure we beat Jamaica now. Would have been nice if the US won, but I will still take a point

forevrared

Away to Guatemala was always going to be the toughest game in this group, so I'm not too unhappy with a draw. Antigua and Barbuda taking points off Jamaica makes it sting even less.

MrMarcello

When is the next round - September?

The entire six-game qualifying round should be played this month IMO.

I've been puzzled for years why Copa America doesn't run simultaneous with Euro Championships. I think it would be great for the sport. The times wouldn't overlap so fans would basically have 8-12 hours of football each day. And also make it where you would have the 10 South American nations and the previous 6 North American nations that were in the prior WC's hexagonal.

davisjw

When is the next round - September?

The entire six-game qualifying round should be played this month IMO.

I've been puzzled for years why Copa America doesn't run simultaneous with Euro Championships. I think it would be great for the sport. The times wouldn't overlap so fans would basically have 8-12 hours of football each day. And also make it where you would have the 10 South American nations and the previous 6 North American nations that were in the prior WC's hexagonal.
I'd imagine it's less money that way. There wouldn't be enough viewers as people would over-dose on football. Space things out. Plus Copa and Gold Cups are every other year (as well as Asian and African), correct? Whereas Euros is the only tournament (besides WC) that's every four years.

I think the next round is September. The US plays Mexico in August, away. That should be a good game. US still hasn't beaten Mexico away...

mboRa ndomHer0723

Away to Guatemala was always going to be the toughest game in this group, so I'm not too unhappy with a draw. Antigua and Barbuda taking points off Jamaica makes it sting even less.
I worry about Jamaica's speed against the US defense. I am guessing there will be a lot of tense moments in those two upcoming matches. The only good part is that Jamaica doesn't have the best finishers

MrMarcello

Time to drop Altidore and whomeverelse forward except Gomez and go with Boyd. The latter looks to have some good skill and Gomez has done fairly well as the lone striker.

I still would like to see Edu given a shot in central defense to see how he performs. He surely can't be worse than the others not named Bocanegra.

Perhaps for Mexico we see this depending on club commitments...

Howard/Guzan (Guzan does not have a club I read)
Cherundolo/Chandler/Lichaj (need to get Chandler capped so perhaps Jamaica*)
Edu/Goodson/Cameron
Bocanegra
Johnson
Holden/Torres
Bradley
Jones
Dempsey
Boyd/Gomez
Donovan

*I suspect he's holding out for a hopeful Germany callup.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I'd imagine it's less money that way. There wouldn't be enough viewers as people would over-dose on football. Space things out. Plus Copa and Gold Cups are every other year (as well as Asian and African), correct? Whereas Euros is the only tournament (besides WC) that's every four years.

I think the next round is September. The US plays Mexico in August, away. That should be a good game. US still hasn't beaten Mexico away...
Copa America used to be every two years in 90s, then switched to every three years between 2001 and 2007 and is now every four years.

MrMarcello

I forgot Copa was every two years, but thought it had changed, and not sure about Gold Cup as it has altered formats a few times, or changed months played. But I don't agree with playing a major continential national team tournament every two years. Seems saturated. Every four years would give it far more allure, and if not played simultaneously with Euros, it could be played in July right after the Euros have ended.

There never is too much football. :nono: ;)

mboRa ndomHer0723

Time to drop Altidore and whomeverelse forward except Gomez and go with Boyd. The latter looks to have some good skill and Gomez has done fairly well as the lone striker.

I still would like to see Edu given a shot in central defense to see how he performs. He surely can't be worse than the others not named Bocanegra.

Perhaps for Mexico we see this depending on club commitments...

Howard/Guzan (Guzan does not have a club I read)
Cherundolo/Chandler/Lichaj (need to get Chandler capped so perhaps Jamaica*)
Edu/Goodson/Cameron
Bocanegra
Johnson
Holden/Torres
Bradley
Jones
Dempsey
Boyd/Gomez
Donovan

*I suspect he's holding out for a hopeful Germany callup.
Boyd needs more time and to actually play for a first team before he should be starting over Gomez/Altidore. I think he will be a good player and maybe even better than Jozy because he seems to actually try when he is on the field.

I still think Chandler will play for the US, but it might not be until 2013.

I still don't want to see Edu as a CB, unless he plays that position for his club which won't happen. I also want him out of the starting line up for Klejstan/Williams/Holden(when healthy)

MrMarcello

Kljestan? He's absolute dross. Keep him as far from the NT side as possible. Rather see Cameron or Beckerman than that lump.

Williams? Thought he was a winger type.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
The Jamaican national anthem isn't "3 Little Birds" by Bob Marley? Who knew?

MrMarcello

I think they just made up the anthem before the match. Didn't appear the players knew the lyrics nor did I see fans singing along.

That said, why the feck is Klinsmann persistent with three holding midfielders?

Btw, not sure if the commentator was being facetious, but he just mentioned CONCACAF refs are good.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
These streams suck. I'm glad it's on a channel that roughly 8 people have.

MrMarcello

So in a game that is begging for a player with ball retention and distribution (i.e. Torres), Klinsmann goes with three defensive-minded midfielders none of which are known for a) ball retention, and b) passing and vision. This match is made for a guy like Torres in the middle and Shea on the left. Altidore is non-existent so far, not surprising.

forevrared

When are we going to get another forward that isn't a flash in the pan? Can we just get Brian McBride to come back for us, too? He's got to be in shape playing for FC Wembley!

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Fire everyone involved in this game for the US. The players, coaches, masseuses, waterboys. Everyone.

MrMarcello

This is the worst performance I have ever witnessed a USMNT. I've seen them get thoroughly waxed by an opponent but never have I witnessed such a display of no desire, no tactical prowess, no energy.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
I vote to rescind the players' citizenships, Klinsi's residency, and banish them from ever setting foot in the US again. I'm not sure I've seen many worse football matches by anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.