Klopp Confirmed Liverpool Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Rafa out and Klopp in after this season. Then Rafa back to pool. You heard it here first.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Their next 5 league games are:
Spurs away
Southampton at home
Chelsea away
Palace at home
City away

What do people think is a messiah figure from those games and what's meh?

Empire

He is obviously a good manager but the question is how good, will he break into the top four, will he challenge for the title, will he win the league?

On the point of Dortmund being rubbish before he took over, while they finished 13th in the season before he took over (but finished runners up in the cup), prior to that they finished 9th, 7th, 7th, 6th, 3rd and 1st.

Dortmund despite there problems were still one of Germany's biggest clubs, a bit like when Ferguson took over United, they finished 4th the season previously but due to their poor start he could only guide them to 11th in his first season however in the next he came 2nd. There were problems that needed sorting but it was a big club.

Liverpool are also a big club with problems preventing them from getting back to where they should be however the task facing Klopp is difficult in my opinion and I'm not sure yet if he has the ability to force his way into the top four by being brilliant (better than the other managers as he would probably have a weaker squad) or whether he is reliant on one of the top four having problems (e.g. Mourinho leaving or Giggs taking over and failing).

Klopp's consistency in Europe is:

First Season - Uefa cup, Round 1
Second Season - No european competition
Third - Europa League Group Stage
Fourth - Champions League Group Stage
Fifth - Champions League Runners Up
Sixth - Champions League Quarters
Seven - Champions League Round of 16

I've seen posts that suggest the fact he made one champions league final in seven season as evidence he is an excellent manager but Enrique won it in his first season, so did di Matteo, Allegri got to the final last year in his first season.

I think Klopp is obviously a good manager but whether he is one of the best in the world like Mourinho, Guardiola or Ancelotti I don't know, even Wenger and Louis van Gaal are more proven.

I'm not worried about the appointment yet, more intrigued as to finding out how he will do and whether he is one of the very best in the world.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
Spurs away
Southampton at home
Chelsea away
Palace at home
City away

I think best case scenario for them would be 9 points. Wins at hme and a win at Spurs isn't out of the question.

Winrar

I wonder if klopp will be afforded time in a league where few managers are given time. he didn't excel at his respective clubs as a manager until few years after he was given time to lay out and execute his plans.

if he does get given time, then we might see some meltdown here in the future. certainly a better option than rodgers who hasn't even won a single managerial trophy in his career apart from PL playoffs.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
I've seen posts that suggest the fact he made one champions league final in seven season as evidence he is an excellent manager but Enrique won it in his first season, so did di Matteo, Allegri got to the final last year in his first season.
Enrique and Allegri inherited world class sides that'd already meshed by the time they'd got there. Di Matteo's Chelsea were the worst team to ever win the Champions League and rode their luck throughout.

To say "one CL final in seven seasons" is unfair because it implies that the other 6 were failures when in reality he took over an awful, ailing team that had finished 12th.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I'd be very happy with 9 from that.
I think best case scenario for them would be 9 points. Wins at hme and a win at Spurs isn't out of the question.
They (you) also have relatively easy games in the League Cup (forget the sponsor) and the Europa league at home which can help boost morale. I think 10-12 points are a best case scenario (could win at Chelsea if they keep the implosion going). But equally, if he gets beaten in 3 of his first 5 games it might grind down some of the aura he has.

Interesting run of games for sure.

Crossie

Supports
vibrant attacking football
On the point of Dortmund being rubbish before he took over, while they finished 13th in the season before he took over (but finished runners up in the cup), prior to that they finished 9th, 7th, 7th, 6th, 3rd and 1st.
The particular squad that managed 13th was utter shite, the immediate ones before not really better.
Having built the title-winning team is what actually what led to our almost bankruptcy and collapse of BVB, a fact and its consequences for a decade to come that is hardly taken into consideration. It's exactly how not to run a professional football club: Strive for shot-term success and commit suicide thereafter.

I'm not worried about the appointment yet, more intrigued as to finding out how he will do and whether he is one of the very best in the world.
I'm very curious too, because I'm pretty sure he will adapt to the Premier League to some extent.

Treble

Spurs away
Southampton at home
Chelsea away
Palace at home
City away

So, they play all quality teams - Arsenal, United, Everton, Spurs, Chelsea and City - in the first 13 fixtures and all away. They played also Stoke away which is a difficult fixture too. If they take points from Spurs and Chelsea, they'll have very good chances to make top 4.

Empire

Enrique and Allegri inherited world class sides that'd already meshed by the time they'd got there. Di Matteo's Chelsea were the worst team to ever win the Champions League and rode their luck throughout.

To say "one CL final in seven seasons" is unfair because it implies that the other 6 were failures when in reality he took over an awful, ailing team that had finished 12th.
Klopp won in his third season the Bundesliga, so obviously not an awful team at that point. That season he finished in only the group stages of Europa, the next season the group stages of champions league, then he was runners up, then quarters then r16.

He has a weaker squad than the other top four so if he is to consistently get top four then he must show himself to consistently be a better manager than one of the other top four, in the case of City they will spend ridiculously so they won't lose their position.

I also think it's unfair to play down the accomplishments of Enrique, Allegri or Di Matteo in their first season.

Klopp is a good manager but whether he is on the level to consistently out perform somebody in the top four we don't know yet.

RedorDead21

I'm happy enough to see one of my fave managers coming to the PL. A minority in here I'm sure that its liverpool he's going to. Fergie used to talk about challenges facing man united and this to me is just another one. No one knows whether he'll work out there but to me they are a perfect fit.
We may end up with Pep who knows and the two get to battle it out once more. It worries me more who fans fret over an adversary becoming a real force as if there is nothing to stop that bandwagon crushing all before them. Ultimately its decided on the pitch and if we are not capable of overcoming the challenge they will pose then why would people be so much happier having success with less opposition in achieving that feat. Whoever wins the PL deserves it in my book.

Traub

Literally the perfect appointment. There is no manager in world football more suited for their current situation (maybe SAF?). He'll get them back into the top 4 with a premier league challenge every now and again. I don't see him being a consistent title challenger but a constant top 4 place would be an amazing achievement.

RedChip

By that logic did you expect Chelsea to be even better this season compared to last season?
I did. I'm surprised they didn't strengthen. Given their current state, they are certain to strengthen next season.

MajorTom

Bit of a coup for Liverpool, really expected him to go to a team who is already achieving what they set out to do. Let's hope their transfer committee carry on the trend of signing really uninspiring youth rather than those that do actually reach some kind of quality status.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Great appointment, definitely. I'm torn between disappointment that Liverpool's quest to do a Leeds may experience a delay, and happiness that this footballing institution may live again.

As long as they don't beat us to the league or in a cup, of course.

Hell, the EPL might be more enjoyable with Leeds in it again.

izec

It seems to me that the Klopp appointment made a lot of people happy again to see Liverpool on the potential rise again. As far as i am concerned, they could drop down to League 2 and i couldnt be happier.

RedorDead21

Great appointment, definitely. I'm torn between disappointment that Liverpool's quest to do a Leeds may experience a delay, and happiness that this footballing institution may live again.

As long as they don't beat us to the league or in a cup, of course.

Hell, the EPL might be more enjoyable with Leeds in it again.
I would argue the PL would be better with them in it as they like liverpool are fierce rivals of ours down the decades. Beating them to a title would mean more to me than some club who are there based purely on financial clout.

RedChip

Don't get me wrong, I think Klopp is an excellent manager, and he very may well be the second coming - but I'm not gonna join the end of the world train just yet. I'm not saying Klopp is going to have them fighting in the top four come the end of the season, but Liverpool are stuck with that squad until January at least. I'm also aware that Klopp won back-to-back Bundesliga titles, and guided them to the UCL final, but the Bundesliga has been such a 2 horse race in recent years. Again, not knocking the strength of foreign teams - for all I know, Darmstadt may be able to tear us a new one - but this is a new territory for him, in a league where you have more than the same one or two teams fighting you for the title every year.

Who knows, he might be the scousers' Jose, he might be their Moyes. He's still got a fair bit of work to do to get that squad to the same calibre of a title-winning team, and in the mean time, those rivals are only going to buy and get stronger. Worst case scenario is he has the Simeone effect and shits all over the world class players/squads in the league.

tl;dr - I don't see how this is the end of our title hopes. He's achieved greatness with Dortmund, but this is a whole other scenario.
Exactly my thoughts; the top four rivals are either awash with cash or have a sugar daddy to tap up.

Devil may care

Gutted, he's a class manager and a great character, real shame he has lowered himself to this and made it impossible for him ever to be Untied manager.

RedorDead21

Gutted, he's a class manager and a great character, real shame he has lowered himself to this and made it impossible for him ever to be Untied manager.
Personally a manager going to City or Chelsea to me is lowering themselves. Surely as challenges go in the PL, Liverpool are the last big one with all the potential to only improve and will have to do it facing bigger challenges than rocking up at City, Chelsea, ourselves or Arsenal.
He has so many perches to knock down its probably one of the more appealing challenges in world football in the worlds best watched league.

Empire

The particular squad that managed 13th was utter shite, the immediate ones before not really better.
Having built the title-winning team is what actually what led to our almost bankruptcy and collapse of BVB, a fact and its consequences for a decade to come that is hardly taken into consideration. It's exactly how not to run a professional football club: Strive for shot-term success and commit suicide thereafter.
I mentioned he had problems that needed sorting and that he is obviously a good manager.

I'm very curious too, because I'm pretty sure he will adapt to the Premier League to some extent.
I'd assume he will have a weaker squad than the other top four.

Man City will always spend so their position is almost secure, Wenger has a great deal more experience than him in the league and now has loads of money at his disposal if the right player comes along, Chelsea have Mourinho and United are a world class player or two from becoming a force in Europe since they have a young squad with a lot of potential.

In order for Klopp to force his way into the top four he will need to have a better season than one of those teams (that can happen with a bit of luck) but for him to stay there he will need to do it consistently. In order to consistently out perform those teams with a weaker squad he will need to be a much better manager than one of whoever the top four have.

I think his best bet is to capitalise on the failings of one of his opponents, when Louis van Gaal leaves who knows what happens to United, or when Wenger leaves, or when Mourinho goes, if those clubs make the right appointment they should be fine though.

Even if one of the top four mess up they will come back much stronger, we have seen that with United. Chelsea didn't strengthen in the summer and are struggling now, United learnt this lesson, Chelsea will react in the summer window and I doubt United will make the same mistake again with their current board.

JustFootballFan

Thinks Balotelli & Pogba look the same
Supports
Liverpool
The language barrier is a very underrated aspect that has barely been touched. Sure the PL has no winterbreak, more games and a higher intensity, but that is just football. The ability to transport and teach his ideas in English and motivate the players accordingly becomes a lot more difficult, when you only have 10-20% of your previous vocabulary in the English language. Especially, when you come from the emotional side, it makes a huge difference how many nuances and layers you can add to the same message. I know people laugh at a lot of his comments, because they are literal translations of German sayings and that sounds funny. Not sure how long the novelty effect will last though.

Meller

I just want to say that I think it's batshit crazy that Klopp has become manager of LFC. After all these years of crap managers, with the state they're in, they are still able to attract one of the best managers in the world. Hodgson, Dalglish, Rodgers (with one good season) and then Klopp?! How is it even possible. Bah.

Devil may care

Personally a manager going to City or Chelsea to me is lowering themselves. Surely as challenges go in the PL, Liverpool are the last big one with all the potential to only improve and will have to do it facing bigger challenges than rocking up at City, Chelsea, ourselves or Arsenal.
He has so many perches to knock down its probably one of the more appealing challenges in world football in the worlds best watched league.
I don't care about City or Chelsea, they are oil clubs that wouldn't be our rivals if not for sugar daddy ownership, yes City have local rivalry but they have been irrelevant to us for a long time until they got bought up by Sheikh whatshisface. The dislike of Liverpool runs deeper for me and I think a lot of fans.

Crossie

Supports
vibrant attacking football
The language barrier is a very underrated aspect that has barely been touched.
Klopp worried exactly about that pretty much 2-3 years ago. It was clear though that he wanted to become manager in the EPL at some point, and if you go back and watch videos from his UEFA pressers or English interviews, you'd recognize he has improved a lot. Not saying that this includes the vocabulary he needs for interactions with his players but he's not an idiot, has a university degree in sports science and clearly capable of preparing for a job outside the Bundesliga.

goin4glory

He had a fantastic team at Dortmund and has an average side at Liverpool. He won't be doing much with that squad. How much of an influence he had in scouting those players I don't know so maybe they'll improve in the transfer market which wouldn't be too difficult since Rodgers was awful.

Once he lost a few quality players at Dortmund everything went to shit and he was out.

VanGaalEra

All I see is 'gutted', 'shit', 'we're fecked'.

Man the feck up, it's not like they took your wife FFS. Gutted lmao :lol:

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Loved his Dortmund side and think he's ace so I hope he does really well there, and then is hired by Barca or Real....

said one or two soft headed tarts no doubt

United22

I just want to say that I think it's batshit crazy that Klopp has become manager of LFC. After all these years of crap managers, with the state they're in, they are still able to attract one of the best managers in the world. Hodgson, Dalglish, Rodgers (with one good season) and then Klopp?! How is it even possible. Bah.
Because there is nowhere else for him to go? Which other big club right now is manager-less or has a manager that is very close to being sacked (maybe Jose but that's another discussion)

Hed Zitin

The manager and his right hand men responsible for the most entertaining football I've seen for the last ten years is now those scum bags coaching staff, while we'll carry on with a man that plays the polar opposite of that football for another season.

Hopefully that defence continues to screw them over. I've never rated Klopp's teams defensively. It was the pressing that kept the ball away from that part of the pitch that helped.

That's all I've got to say.

JustFootballFan

Supports
Liverpool
Klopp worried exactly about that pretty much 2-3 years ago. It was clear though that he wanted to become manager in the EPL at some point, and if you go back and watch videos from his UEFA pressers or English interviews, you'd recognize he has improved a lot. Not saying that this includes the vocabulary he needs for interactions with his players but he's not an idiot, has a university degree in sports science and clearly capable of preparing for a job outside the Bundesliga.
I didn´t say he was an idiot and he probably has study English more intensely during his three months off in anticipation of a job in the EPL. I´m just curious whether British people are being nice or actually think that his English constitutes good English for a native German. The discussion has been focused on everything else. In my eyes it will be the biggest obstacle for him, even with a decent grasp of the language. We know how much the press likes to twist words for a story, and misunderstandings can be exploited easily in times of a crisis.

JustFootballFan

Supports
Liverpool
All I see is 'gutted', 'shit', 'we're fecked'.

Man the feck up, it's not like they took your wife FFS. Gutted lmao :lol:
Most would probably like that. You want her, you can have her. On a free transfer.

Status
Not open for further replies.