Klopp to leave Liverpool at the end of the season

C'est Moi Cantona

They'll convince themselves otherwise, but Liverpool will just quietly slip into been the same club they were before he joined them.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
How come the sporting director is leaving next week?

Aren't they supposed to control the changes of manager?

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Timing is a bit weird. Liverpool have a great chance to win the title this year and they're favourites ahead of City, Arsenal, and Spurs, but given the strength of that opposition it's by no means over.

Knowing that you're playing for a manager whose on his way cedes the initiative. I thought Klopp would have just kept this under wraps until the season is over.

Got to give him credit for the way in which he has turned Liverpool around from serial underachievers into a genuine force playing attacking football.
I don't think even Liverpool think they're favourites for the title, they've massively ridden their luck this year, moreso than most other years.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
How come the sporting director is leaving next week?

Aren't they supposed to control the changes of manager?
He was only temporary apparently, he's also meant to be a bit shit.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
This isn't true. Always nice to big up the underdog I suppose, but that's all it is.
I think it's impossible to say who's better but look at the squads both inherited and difference in resources. Pep and Klopp have both been fantastic but got their teams where they are in different circumstances.

LDUred

I don't think even Liverpool think they're favourites for the title, they've massively ridden their luck this year, moreso than most other years.
Having luck is essential in terms of winning a title and you could argue that in a close title race United had their fair share.

Liverpool will also point to the Tottenham game and understandably say they were hard done by.

I don't think you can talk about Liverpool being lucky and then ignore the blatant favouritism shown towards Manchester City. Haaland can bawl his face off to an official with impunity; Kovacic, by the grace of God, didn't get sent off against Arsenal for his challenge on Odegaard. Liverpool have had the rub of the green at times, as have other teams, but it hasn't been anything out of the ordinary or anything like the favouritism shown to Pep.

Why wouldn't they be favourites? City have flattered to deceive this year and Arsenal and Tottenham don't have any experience of winning the league in recent memory, although Arsenal, to be fair, have shown they are capable of showing something like title-winning consistency. It's a toss up between Pep and Klopp and not much between them in my opinion.

Last edited:

erikcred

I'm confident that it is. Football is made up of cycles, and we're overdue a lot of success. There's nothing stopping us from being one of the best sides (and clubs) in the world other than sheer incompetence, as we have seen in the last 11 years.
When Fergie left, they nearly won the league the next season. Maybe it's our turn now.:D

mintyred

Klopp has been at Liverpool for 8 seasons during which time LVG, Mouriniho, Ole and Ten Hag have finished above him in the league.
Right but it didn't often feel like we were ever competing with them. League finishes aren't relevant to what I'm saying.

Dansk

There's no doubting he's a very good manager, but it's kind of crazy that he won the league only once in eight seasons (could end up being twice in nine, granted), and has an average finish closer to 4th across his tenure (3.65 to be exact). And that's in an era where every big club besides City floundered most of the time. Four of our managers have finished above him, and we've been absolutely dreadful the entire time. He did also win the CL, but it was the easiest CL final opponent anyone has faced in decades, Tottenham of all clubs, where Pool even got a freak penalty in the first minute of the game.

He obviously deserves credit for bringing Liverpool out of their decades-long slump, but he hasn't really created miracles. While he might have won an additional league title or two if it wasn't for City's dominance, the same can be said of Wenger vs United, and it doesn't mean much in the end. Liverpool have had two disaster seasons on his watch, and that's without counting his first season where he's excused for their 8th place finish considering the state of the club when he arrived. He's ending his tenure there in a season where they didn't even play in the CL.

In spite of all that, the Liverpool-adoring media will find a way to call him one of the greatest managers that English football has ever seen.

I will say that I think he might have been the luckiest. Never seen so many incidentals favour a team over a years-long span of time.

Last edited:

cyberman

Right but it didn't often feel like we were ever competing with them. League finishes aren't relevant to what I'm saying.
It’s easy to think that way when his down seasons seem to be accepted and glossed over and his good seasons happens when the league is at the bested best standard there ever was

erikcred

There's no doubting he's a very good manager, but it's kind of crazy that he won the league only once in eight seasons (could end up being twice in nine, granted), and has an average finish closer to 4th across his tenure (3.65 to be exact). And that's in an era where every big club besides City have floundered most of the time. Four of our managers have finished above him, and we've been absolutely dreadful the entire time. He did also win the CL, but it was the easiest CL run in living memory including a final against Tottenham of all clubs, where they got a freak penalty in the first minute of the game.

He obviously deserves credit for bringing Liverpool out of their decades-long slump, but he hasn't really created miracles. While he might have won an additional league title or two if it wasn't for City's dominance, the same can be said of Wenger vs United, and it doesn't mean much in the end. Liverpool have had two disaster seasons on his watch, and that's without counting his first season where he's excused for their 8th place finish considering the state of the club when he arrived. He's finishing his tenure there in a season where they didn't qualify for the CL.

In spite of all that, the Liverpool-adoring media will find a way to call him one of the greatest managers that English football has ever seen.
I'm all for begrudging them credit whenever possible, but a run including knocking out Bayern and that 4-0 against Barca is hardly the easiest CL run in living memory.

That would be their '22 CL run.

Dansk

I'm all for begrudging them credit whenever possible, but a run including knocking out Bayern and that 4-0 against Barca is hardly the easiest CL run in living memory.

That would be their '22 CL run.
Yeah, I misremembered actually. '22 was when they got the easiest CL run anyone has ever seen.

Still, a final against Tottenham and a freak penalty in the first minute. Kind of thing you sell your soul to the Devil for.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Wait, TAA a PL all timer right back? Come on now...
Why would he not be? Already has the highest assists for a defender in the PL (joint with Robertson) and defines the modern fullback in the PL era. Same as what Klopp did with Salah who defines the modern wide forward in the PL era. Klopp, and these players have had a massive impact on the PL, along with Pep of course.

Pickle85

Why would he not be? Already has the highest assists for a defender in the PL (joint with Robertson) and defines the modern fullback in the PL era. Same as what Klopp did with Salah who defines the modern wide forward in the PL era. Klopp, and these players have had a massive impact on the PL, along with Pep of course.
Because he's only had a couple of decent seasons and has enormous deficiencies in certain parts of his game. Namely defensively. Salah has been doing it (and at a higher level) for years. TAA doesn't have close to the same body of work. He's not even nailed for England.

Dansk

Because he's only had a couple of decent seasons and has enormous deficiencies in certain parts of his game. Namely defensively. Salah has been doing it (and at a higher level) for years. TAA doesn't have close to the same body of work. He's not even nailed for England.
And since he is a defender, being absolutely awful at that job should count for a lot more than being an asset going forward. If there was a striker who was useless in front of goal but does a solid job defending, nobody in their right mind would say this makes him a great striker. It's uniquely a Liverpool perk that a player can be called one of the best despite being horrible at his actual position, just because he's good at something else entirely.

Pickle85

And since he is a defender, being absolutely awful at that job should count for a lot more than being an asset going forward. If there was a striker who was useless in front of goal but does a solid job defending, nobody in their right mind would say this makes him a great striker. It's uniquely a Liverpool perk that a player can be called one of the best despite being horrible at his actual position, just because he's good at something else entirely.
Exactly. I'd feel comfortable calling Denis Irwin or Ashley Cole up there with all time PL left backs for instance, but just because TAA can deliver a fabulous set piece and has excellent passing range he's a PL all time great in his position?

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
[/QUOTE]
His role in this side has never to be the best defender or very good at it, he's always been used in respect of his world class qualities which are going forward in respect of his exceptional technique and athleticism.

TAA hasn't just had a couple of decent seasons, that's massively downplaying how good he has been in some of them.

The striker analogy doesn't really work since we know that the FB/WB role has evolved massively in the past 5-10 years and he's one of those at the top of the list in terms of RBs in respect of that. He's very deserving to be in the conversation of best PL RB with Walker/Neville/Azpi/Ivanovic.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Have the media recovered from this yet??

They seem despondent, like a Messiah has died

Dansk

He has, of course, been plagued by the ill fortune of managing first Dortmund and then Liverpool, two clubs where he discovered to his dismay that most of the squad suffered from asthma. To his credit, he took great initiative and responsibility in ensuring that these poor, breathless souls were duly diagnosed and medicated.

Pickle85

His role in this side has never to be the best defender or very good at it, he's always been used in respect of his world class qualities which are going forward in respect of his exceptional technique and athleticism.

TAA hasn't just had a couple of decent seasons, that's massively downplaying how good he has been in some of them.

The striker analogy doesn't really work since we know that the FB/WB role has evolved massively in the past 5-10 years and he's one of those at the top of the list in terms of RBs in respect of that. He's very deserving to be in the conversation of best PL RB with Walker/Neville/Azpi/Ivanovic.
But he's not REALLY a right back, is he? He wouldn't function as a right back if you lifted him and dropped him into most other PL teams because of his defensive weaknesses. Liverpool cover for his deficiencies because what he offers going forward is, in their eyes, worth it but I definitely don't think he can be called an all time PL right back as a result. He's too weak in too many areas that right backs, even now, need to be strong.

Bartondale

I haven't seen so many gutted Scousers since the invention of the locking wheel nut.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
But he's not REALLY a right back, is he? He wouldn't function as a right back if you lifted him and dropped him into most other PL teams because of his defensive weaknesses. Liverpool cover for his deficiencies because what he offers going forward is, in their eyes, worth it but I definitely don't think he can be called an all time PL right back as a result. He's too weak in too many areas that right backs, even now, need to be strong.
It doesn't really matter how he would do if you dropped him in other teams. Neville might have been shite if he was dropped in another side but he wasn't and he ended up winning 8 titles. Salah might not have been good if he wasn't in this Liverpool side and style etc. It doesn't matter if you perform at a high level. There are reasons why TAA has been good and it does partly come down to the side he plays in but a lot of it also comes due to his own exceptional qualities.

Pickle85

It doesn't really matter how he would do if you dropped him in other teams. Neville might have been shite if he was dropped in another side but he wasn't and he ended up winning 8 titles. Salah might not have been good if he wasn't in this Liverpool side and style etc. It doesn't matter if you perform at a high level. There are reasons why TAA has been good and it does partly come down to the side he plays in but a lot of it also comes due to his own exceptional qualities.
But he's not an exceptional right back, is my point. I think we'll have to agree to disagree here.

Dansk

Have the media recovered from this yet??

They seem despondent, like a Messiah has died

:lol: Now we just need Bald Fraudiola to resign and it will be a full-blown meltdown.
Then they might actually start to acknowledge the fact that it's a club currently facing a hundred and fifteen charges of cheating.

Slim chance, but you never know.

TheReligion

Abusive
There were not better teams in front of him, it was a City Team charged with 115 counts. Understand that. Like Armstrong was doping and coming number one, probably (because the case is ongoing) City will also be found culpable.

Your problem is you're already having a narrative of comparing Klopp to Ferguson. Nobody has done that. It's putting things into perspective.

I compared the Most iconic United domination period with Liverpool Iconic period.
2007-2011 United ( 5 year period)
2018-2022 Liverpool ( 4 year period)

1. Sir Alex - 1 CL trophy.
Klopp - 1 CL trophy.

2. Sir Alex - 2 Lost CL finals
Klopp - 2 lost CL finals

3. Sir Alex - 4 league titles
Klopp - 1 league title.

Now the 2 titles Liverpool lost on final day against City is what turns the tide.
If City are banished for doping then Klopp will rightly so, sit at the highest table of Premier League managers who have had a period of domination as Sir Alex, Pep have had.

If you think lowly of Klopp regime, we can bet here now, how long it will take United to achieve 92+ points in 3 seasons and play in 3 CL finals concurrently.

Sir Alex in his time with us played only 4 CL finals.
Pep with City has had only 2 CL finals with all the doping.
You forget the league title that United lost on the last day on goal difference I assume.

TheReligion

Abusive
What exceptional qualities? He can pass and deliver the ball really well?