Klopp to leave Liverpool at the end of the season

Werd.

Yes? Mourinho's biggest draw was always "95 points"... Klopp got 99 and 97 points with his sides. Klopp won the league & the Champions League, Mourinho never won the CL with an English side.
Who gives a shit about points tally. Mourinho has won more trophies than Klopp atm whilst as a manager in England. Rest is just white noise.

Werd.

Anyway. They're cnuts. But I have to respect Klopp who is a great manager and has done a phenomenal job over there, and has reached the 3rd highest peak that any premier league manager has achieved, after Sir Alex and Pep. Once another manager wins the CL and the prem, they can join that group too.
Di Matteo won the CL and FA Cup with Chelsea, so according to your logic, he is nearly on the same tier as SAF and Pep too then? Very flawed logic.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Di Matteo won the CL and FA Cup with Chelsea, so according to your logic, he is nearly on the same tier as SAF and Pep too then? Very flawed logic.
Did he win the premier league?

How is it flawed logic to have a special tier for managers who have built a team to win both the league and the Champions League? It is literally the pinnacle of achievement, and what every manager strives for. Once you hit the prerequisites of winning the actual main competitions, then you can split up with how many times you've won each, if you did it in the same season, how many in a row, and so on. But if you haven't won one or the other, you aren't in that top group.

erikcred

Oh yeah from about January onwards we had it won. No pressure whatsoever. We went to 2nd place Leicester in December and beat them 4-0.
I'd disagree with the "no pressure" thing.

In terms of cold numbers, yea you had it won. We knew it. But after suffering against City previously, your lot didn't unclench until after beating us at anfield. The City trauma was so obvious.

On the other hand, you were so far ahead you could've hit 100+ and made it a truly historic season. I think that was a missed once in a generation opportunity.

STFC1879

Supports
Swindon Town
Obviously a huge loss for Liverpool but I’m sure they will carry on just fine with Alonso. It’s also a loss for The Premier League as a whole.

Trequarista10

How is it flawed logic to have a special tier for managers who have built a team to win both the league and the Champions League? It is literally the pinnacle of achievement, and what every manager strives for. Once you hit the prerequisites of winning the actual main competitions, then you can split up with how many times you've won each, if you did it in the same season, how many in a row, and so on. But if you haven't won one or the other, you aren't in that top group.
Klopp only won the CL because they played fecking Spurs in the final. I blame ETH for knocking out Real Madrid.

I'm being sarcastic obviously. But overall Jose and Wenger are above Klopp imo, even if technically Klopp's peak was higher. Apples and oranges.

Werd.

That's why I said nearly.

Your whole argument is that winning a league and champions league in a season means a special tier, so isn't the next best thing (tier wise) a league/CL win and FA cup win in the same season?

Special tier should only be reserved for those who have won the proper treble.

Last edited:

Swoobs

Supports
Florentina
I guess Alonso is the best option out there? There aren't that many inspiring managerial choices out there to be honest. Makes me wonder who City will go for after Pep.
Mourinho?:wenger:

GoldanoGraham

He was becoming more and more irritable in his interviews and certainly no the jovial character of before…think it’s all taken its toll ultimately. Whatever you say about what he won or not, he certainly got them going again after years of poor managers.

I shall very much enjoy their decline again once he has gone. All these periods are cyclical and the next guy in will be constantly compared to Klopp and some of the players will leave, be replaced with not so good ones and the cycle continues.

Hopefully as we return upwards we can wave to them on their way down.

Blood Mage

He was becoming more and more irritable in his interviews and certainly no the jovial character of before…think it’s all taken its toll ultimately. Whatever you say about what he won or not, he certainly got them going again after years of poor managers.

I shall very much enjoy their decline again once he has gone. All these periods are cyclical and the next guy in will be constantly compared to Klopp and some of the players will leave, be replaced with not so good ones and the cycle continues.

Hopefully as we return upwards we can wave to them on their way down.
They're not us though. Even though they're stingy as feck I think FSG have run Liverpool extremely well. They probably have a succession plan in place unlike us after Fergie.

Skills

Snitch
They're not us though. Even though they're stingy as feck I think FSG have run Liverpool extremely well. They probably have a succession plan in place unlike us after Fergie.
Look at how well they did in the 4 years prior to Klopp.

erikcred

Mourinho assembled a squad and won immediately. Then retained what he won. Pep himself needed an extra season. Give the man his due credit.
Lot of heavy lifting done by that word.

Mourinho is obviously an all time great. Walked in to the league, put a lot of pressure on himself and delivered right away. I'd put him on the same level as Pep in terms of impact on the league.

But there's no need to claim that he didn't immediately load up his Chelsea squad with 18-30 mil players. That's the Pep equivalent of buying a bunch of 50 mil players across all positions.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

Mourinho is obviously an all time great. Walked in to the league, put a lot of pressure on himself and delivered right away. I'd put him on the same level as Pep in terms of impact on the league.

But there's no need to claim that he didn't immediately load up his Chelsea squad with 18-30 mil players. That's the Pep equivalent of buying a bunch of 50 mil players across all positions.
You just going to ignore Allison, Van Dijk, Mane, Salah, Keita, Fabinho, Oxlade Chamberlain and Wijnaldum? That’s half a team with an average cost of £47.5m bought over 2 seasons.

Zen86

Spurs were “really well run” under Poch as well. We’ll see how well run they are in the next few years.

erikcred

You just going to ignore Allison, Van Dijk, Mane, Salah, Keita, Fabinho, Oxlade Chamberlain and Wijnaldum? That’s half a team with an average cost of £47.5m bought over 2 seasons.
I also said Mourinho is one of the winningest and greatest manager of all time. So don't get all riled up at me.

Trying to be all slick, squeezing 3 summer transfer windows into 2 seasons :D, ignoring the fact that they were only able to afford VVD and Allison because they sold Coutinho.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa

But there's no need to claim that he didn't immediately load up his Chelsea squad with 18-30 mil players. .....
I repeat it. He assembled a squad of high end expensive players and won IMMEDIATELY with it. Then retained what he won to prove it was no fluke, setting records in the process! Pep had the self same resources and took an extra season to win with an expensively assembled record breaking team. Stop trying so hard to down play the achievement and give it its due credit. If it were as easy as some pretend it is a chelsea right now would be sweeping all in sight

erikcred

Mourinho assembled a squad and won immediately. Then retained what he won. Pep himself needed an extra season. Give the man his due credit.
I repeat it. He assembled a squad of high end expensive players and won IMMEDIATELY with it. Then retained what he won to prove it was no fluke, setting records in the process! Pep had the self same resources and took an extra season to win with an expensively assembled record breaking team. Stop trying so hard to down play the achivement.

Yeah, you left that part out the first time. I just added that context. We seem to be in agreement.

Plus not sure why you're shouting "IMMEDIATELY". I also said he delivered "RIGHT AWAY".

Redivy

There seems to be a few people on here and social media who still act as if Klopp turned water into wine.

Let me preface this by saying, he is probably the best or second best manager in the world. Thats not for debate. But he did break the record for most expensive keeper, and most expensive defender at the time. He signed a bunch of 40+ million forwards; and even recently the bigger signings with Nunez and Szoboszlai.

They’ve had an impressive net spend, but most of that is by selling their worst players for inflated prices, which is credit to their director of football.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Would you have Klopps best Liverpool side to beat Mourinho's best Chelsea side with Robben Drogba etc? I am not sure I would. I mean Klopps Liverpool has been -ridiculous- and it's quite embarassing how much better they've been than us at times, but I'd still have that Mourinho side to take them.
Man for man that Chelsea side were something else

erikcred

Would you have Klopps best Liverpool side to beat Mourinho's best Chelsea side with Robben Drogba etc? I am not sure I would. I mean Klopps Liverpool has been -ridiculous- and it's quite embarassing how much better they've been than us at times, but I'd still have that Mourinho side to take them.
Man for man that Chelsea side were something else
I see your point, but remember what Anfield used to be like when facing Chelsea and Mourinho?

With Klopp riling up the crowd I'd guess even the best Mourinho teams would lose at Anfield. But I'd expect them to cruise to a comfortable 2-0/3-1 win against prime Liverpool at home.

In a neutral venue like at a CL final, I'd bet my life on Mourinho beating Klopp.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I see your point, but remember what Anfield used to be like when facing Chelsea and Mourinho?

With Klopp riling up the crowd I'd guess even the best Mourinho teams would lose at Anfield. But I'd expect them to cruise to a comfortable 2-0/3-1 win against prime Liverpool at home.

In a neutral venue like at a CL final, I'd bet my life on Mourinho beating Klopp.
I’d wager money on Cech - ivanovic - Terry - carvalho - Cole over liverpools front men

Garnacho's Shoelaces

The narrative that Anfield is this mythical wonderland of invincibility for Liverpool needs to die.

It seems to be based on a result against Barca, which would now be forgotten if the ref had correctly ruled out the illegally taken quick corner, and beating United 7-0 with xG below 2.5.

IRELANDUNITED

There seems to be a few people on here and social media who still act as if Klopp turned water into wine.

Let me preface this by saying, he is probably the best or second best manager in the world. Thats not for debate. But he did break the record for most expensive keeper, and most expensive defender at the time. He signed a bunch of 40+ million forwards; and even recently the bigger signings with Nunez and Szoboszlai.

They’ve had an impressive net spend, but most of that is by selling their worst players for inflated prices, which is credit to their director of football.
He turned a club that had become a joke back into a serious world class side. He spent an absolute fortune but in fairness to him he spent it very well, did they have a big money signing that was a failure?

What would disappoint me though if I were a Liverpool supporter is the lack of silverware during this period. As well as Klopp done he really did win fu*k all, when you consider the money he spent and some of the players he’s had. 1 Covid league title and 1 flukey champions leagues in 9 years will be looked back on as slightly disappointing in time to come. Yes he won an FA cup and League cup as well but they aren’t trophies he ever prioritised.

All in all this is a bad day for Liverpool, the next manager has an extraordinarily difficult job on his hands, if Klopp could only win a couple of trophies with the squad he assembled what chance does the new man have, especially when you consider the likes of Allison, VVD and Salah are all well in their 30s now.

erikcred

The narrative that Anfield is this mythical wonderland of invincibility for Liverpool needs to die.

It seems to be based on a result against Barca, which would now be forgotten if the ref had correctly ruled out the illegally taken quick corner, and beating United 7-0 with xG below 2.5.
New to football?

Spoony

The People's President
Oh I don't disagree, I think the hysteria surrounding him is well overblown. I just think that if it came down to a tug of war between us and Liverpool for him, he'd almost certainly opt for the latter, namely because of his past affiliations, coupled to the fact they're just a better run club at the moment and in better shape.
I think he'll go to a club with good prospects. To be fair both clubs need major work.

Stookie

Nurse bell end
Just seen a comment on someone’s FB…..’Haven’t seen this many gutted scousers since the invention of locking wheel nuts’

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I think people expecting Alonso to walk in and carry on the job are abit delusional. Alonso is having a great season, but he has pretty much zero credentials and it could all go south very quickly for him. klopp has left massive shoes to fill but I’m glad to see him leave!

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
If City get hit by the changes next season we could plausibly be entering a new premier league era with City and Liverpool dropping a level. What an opportunity for an Ineos led Utd to get their shite together and climb back to the top.

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
There is no world where he’s a better premier league manager than wenger
I read the question as "manager of a Premier League team".

If we are talking Premier League performance only, I think there is an argument for both sides, given that Wenger was not up against these levels of financial doping.

plex

He turned a club that had become a joke back into a serious world class side. He spent an absolute fortune but in fairness to him he spent it very well, did they have a big money signing that was a failure?

What would disappoint me though if I were a Liverpool supporter is the lack of silverware during this period. As well as Klopp done he really did win fu*k all, when you consider the money he spent and some of the players he’s had. 1 Covid league title and 1 flukey champions leagues in 9 years will be looked back on as slightly disappointing in time to come. Yes he won an FA cup and League cup as well but they aren’t trophies he ever prioritised.

All in all this is a bad day for Liverpool, the next manager has an extraordinarily difficult job on his hands, if Klopp could only win a couple of trophies with the squad he assembled what chance does the new man have, especially when you consider the likes of Allison, VVD and Salah are all well in their 30s now.
Having to compeat with a cheat like City in the league is a massive task to accomplish to be honest. I would put Klopp above Pep.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

Because you can do both of them in 1 offs.
Avram Grant was millimetres away from winning both for goodness sake.

To join a top tier or manager you need to have won multiples.

Yes Klopp was competing with a souped up City. But he also managed to come behind Van gaal, United Jose, Ole and Ten Hag in separate seasons. So it's not all och what they've have done without City.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Some people seriously underestimate what it takes to win the CL the year after you lost in the final by goalkeeper howlers and a wonder goal. Or the mental effort and the character that's required to win the PL with 99 points after coming second with 97. To put it into some perspective, they won 62 out of their 76 matches and lost just 4 by averaging 2.3 goals per game between 2019-19 & 2019-20. Add 4 European Finals in 8 seasons to that. All that competing against Xerxes and his army of immortals (You need a top-class player in this position, Pep? Here's three).

IRELANDUNITED

Having to compeat with a cheat like City in the league is a massive task to accomplish to be honest. I would put Klopp above Pep.
While that may be true we also had to compete with the City cheats. Liverpool and Man United both finished as runners up to city 3 times in the past 11 years. So we are the victims of city’s cheating just as much as they are.